HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

My Biggest Worry Facing the Bruins...

Old
04-07-2008, 02:03 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
The next Bruins fan who mentions the McLaren hit is forum banned.
calling it a hit is being extremely generous

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 02:13 AM
ari1160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I doubt anything happens,players respect each other and im sure everything will be fine.I think it's the fans that hate each other more...
not to sure about that. there is someone names Chara. he will do anything i guess.

ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 07:22 AM
JaymzB

I understand Montreal handled the Bruins pretty easily during the regular season, but geeze guys, the amount of over confidence in here is pretty remarkable. Here is an example of that backfiring. I present to you the 83/4 regular season:

Thu Oct 13 1983
at Bos Boston 4, Montreal 2

Sat Nov 5 1983
at Mtl Boston 10, Montreal 4

Tue Nov 22 1983
at Mtl Montreal 4, Boston 2

Thu Dec 8 1983
at Bos Boston 6, Montreal 2

Sun Jan 29 1984
at Bos Montreal 7, Boston 2

Sat Mar 10 1984
at Mtl Boston 4, Montreal 2

Sat Mar 24 1984
at Mtl Boston 5, Montreal 2

Sat Mar 31 1984
at Bos Boston 2, Montreal 1

Bruins win season series 6-2. Boston: 35GF vs. Montreal: 24GF

Regular season standings:
Boston 104 PTS. 1st in Adams division, tied for 2nd overall.
Montreal: 75 PTS. 4th in Adams division, 11th overall.

And the playoffs, 1st round:

Wed Apr 4 1984
at Bos Montreal 2, Boston 1

Thu Apr 5 1984
at Bos Montreal 3, Boston 1

Sat Apr 7 1984
at Mtl Montreal 5, Boston 0

Montreal wins 3-0. Boston: 2GF vs. Montreal: 10GF

Nothing is certain in the playoffs. I think this is going to be a tough series.

JaymzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 07:28 AM
Doctor House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catala View Post
A lot of us are taking the bruins way too lightly...
I doubt the coaching staff is.

Doctor House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 07:38 AM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor House View Post
I doubt the coaching staff is.
Excactly what i'm thinking, so they work hard ans i talk loud.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 07:43 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Glen Murray could heat up. He is the equivalent of Michael Ryder on our team.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 07:52 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

The Bruins come up with a game-plan that allows them to take the first 2 Habs home games, with Thomas standing on his head, and the young Habs get rattled, while Carbo fails to make a coaching adjustment. Moreover, highly permissive refereeing negates the team advantage in speed.

Edit: hockey series sometimes turn on luck. See Steve Smith, Oilers.

VirginiaMtlExpat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 08:30 AM
Capitano

Boston has no pressure coming into this series. Julien will try to keep the score as close as possible, and if the game gets away from him, he will start the dirty tactics.

I see this going 6 or 7 games.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 08:31 AM
bruins309
Krejci Fight Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montréal Russians View Post
Glen Murray could heat up. He is the equivalent of Michael Ryder on our team.
I WISH Glen Murray was Michael Ryder! I also wish he had an expiring contract like Ryder too!

bruins309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 08:34 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins309 View Post
I WISH Glen Murray was Michael Ryder! I also wish he had an expiring contract like Ryder too!
Poor guy, he's become such a whipping boy for the b's fan base. Not that we don't do the same, I just feel bad for the guy.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 08:37 AM
FallsForItEveryYear

the only problem i have with this thread is habs fans making any mention of crappy officiating. There hasn't been a favorable bruins call in a game against the habs in my entire lifetime it won't start now. montreal will get at least 2 more pp than the bruins in every game and probably a 5-3 immediately following any bruins lead.

as a bruins fan im hoping for one of those monumental upsets that no ones expects but i'll probably just end up disappointed screaming at the tv when in a tie game with 3 min left the habs get a pp on some minor stickwork that has been let go all game long. its pretty much expected to happen.

you have a good team but i wish you no good luck in the playoffs even if you get past us because that would go against what it means to be a bruins fan. in fact i wish nothing more than for your hearts to be crushed losing a series 4-3 after leading 3-0.

i was going to end this with some french but its been a while and i just couldn't accurately convey my feelings about you in french.

FallsForItEveryYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 08:51 AM
bruins309
Krejci Fight Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Poor guy, he's become such a whipping boy for the b's fan base. Not that we don't do the same, I just feel bad for the guy.
The distinction I would make between Ryder and Murray has to do with the contract at this point. Murray has disappeared for long periods this year and is on the books at $4.15 million next year. Ryder for all his troubles still has pretty good speed and at his age (28 as of last Monday) this season could be seen as an aberration, and he probably won't be on your roster next year anyway unless he takes a discount.

As for Murray:
- After the lockout got a ridiculous 4-year deal that was partly driven by a desire to make Joe Thornton happy. It was ridiculous because no other teams had serious interest that would warrant that type of deal.
- Has missed at least 18 games a season every year for the past three.
- His quick release, once one of the best in the league, can only now be charitably described as an 18th century soldier loading up his musket.
- He's very slow.
- He takes a lot of stupid penalties, like slashing minors for breaking another guy' stick.

I know Ryder hasn't been all flowers and candy this year, but at least there's hope. So he's got that going for him....which is nice.

bruins309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 09:01 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
We're gonna see the real Montreal Canadiens.

Our best players are going to be playing A LOT more than they did in the season.

Markov-Komisarek-Hamrlik will seemingly always be on the ice.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 09:08 AM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Thomas has never played a playoff game either. He could easily fold like a lawn chair under the pressure of playing in Montreal. He lets a bad goal in early and he's done.
Here's the difference between Price and Thomas, as I see it- just watch them after letting in a goal, especially a bad one. Thomas is banging his stick on the crossbar, *****ing to the ref and his teammates. Price gives the impression of dwelling on it for, oh, three seconds, and then getting ready to make the next save. I think in the intense atmosphere of the playoffs, Price's approach might be more beneficial.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 09:11 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Biggest fear? Players could fall asleep and not play their game. Julien will not create anything and try to frustrate us as much as he can. Chara will be all over Kovy. We might not have the room to breathe.

That's about it.

Needless we need to win the 1st game. We do, it's done. They do, they now think they might have a chance. Statement game that says that regular season or playoffs, there's no difference.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 09:27 AM
ap3lovr

I'm a B's fan, but to be honest, even though I want a very physical affair, my biggest fear is someone getting seriously injured like Bergeron did earlier in the season. I'm sure there will be injuries to both clubs during the series, but here's to them all being minor ones.

ap3lovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 10:02 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
how lame does it get at some point ?

Penguins don't want to face the Flyers because they're so tough, yet the Flyers don't want to face the Penguins because they have great offense. However, what two teams don't you want to face in the playoffs ? Teams with the best goalies, namely Jersey and Rangers. But wait, Ottawa has sucked all year and have yet to live up to their potential, so what if now they feel relaxed and start scoring ? It's not over, the Caps. Damn, they're hot, I wouldn't want to face Ovechkin nor Huet right now. So who's left ? Oh the Bruins. Man the Canadiens have beat them 8 times this year, they must be due.
Haha I love this post.

People! it's the playoffs, get real, we are playing against the best teams night in night out, we just have to find a way to win 4 games. Let's just sit back and enjoy the ride, if it doesnt "happen" it's not a big deal, this is still a very young, developing team.

My expectations are very low, I just want to see them compete, win or not.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 10:09 AM
Quiet Robert

I really wouldn't be too worried about the Bruins "gooning it up." In any case they hardly have the personnel to do it. They have a good amount of grit and physical players, no dirty players. (Unless you count the possibility of Savard biting someone again.)

They can hardly afford to lose Chara for any period of time, so while I fully expect him to be very physical throughout the series, I doubt he goes out of his way to land hits which could put his team in trouble. Other than that, guys like Thornton and Reich who can cause trouble but they shouldn't see more than 6-8 minutes a game.

The Bruins will be focused on playing a tight defensive game and limiting our PP opportunities. The last thing they want is parade to the box which would kill any chance they have in this series. Despite claims to the contrary, the Bruins are actually not content with Moral Victories and will focus on grinding out 2-1 decisions.

I am looking forward to watching Komisarek and Lucic battle over a best-of-seven series and I think there is some definite potential for fireworks between these two. Past that, maybe we'll see Bégin/Kosto drop the gloves with Reich/Hnidy/Thornton once but that's about it.

To me this series will be a lot closer to games 7 and 8 this year than any of the high scoring games we saw early in the year. The Bruins will play tight, suffocating defence. Chara will play 30+ minutes every night. Axelsson and Metropolit will get a ton of minutes in defensive roles.

Now there will probably be some bad blood and the Bruins will want to set the tone physically and will be hell bent on getting the upper hand, but I really doubt they resort to any cheap shots. Intimidation is a part of hockey, so they'll send in a strong forecheck and bang our guys down low, but like I said, Julien will make damn sure they disciplined as hell because he knows the PP could cost him the series.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 10:09 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Haha I love this post.

People! it's the playoffs, get real, we are playing against the best teams night in night out, we just have to find a way to win 4 games. Let's just sit back and enjoy the ride, if it doesnt "happen" it's not a big deal, this is still a very young, developing team.

My expectations are very low, I just want to see them compete, win or not.
The reality is that there were only 10 points separating first and eighth in the conference and nobody got there for nothing.

Boston had a tough time with us this year, but they surprised some good teams this year as well.

Anything can happen in a series and with the past rivalry we have had with the Bruins, I expect a long, very tough series.

Old
04-07-2008, 10:12 AM
TheGoalJudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsForItEveryYear View Post
the only problem i have with this thread is habs fans making any mention of crappy officiating. There hasn't been a favorable bruins call in a game against the habs in my entire lifetime it won't start now. montreal will get at least 2 more pp than the bruins in every game and probably a 5-3 immediately following any bruins lead.

as a bruins fan im hoping for one of those monumental upsets that no ones expects but i'll probably just end up disappointed screaming at the tv when in a tie game with 3 min left the habs get a pp on some minor stickwork that has been let go all game long. its pretty much expected to happen.

you have a good team but i wish you no good luck in the playoffs even if you get past us because that would go against what it means to be a bruins fan. in fact i wish nothing more than for your hearts to be crushed losing a series 4-3 after leading 3-0.

i was going to end this with some french but its been a while and i just couldn't accurately convey my feelings about you in french.
You realize that every fan thinks the refs are against them right?

TheGoalJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
I really wouldn't be too worried about the Bruins "gooning it up." In any case they hardly have the personnel to do it. They can hardly afford to lose Chara for any period of time, so while I fully expect him to be very physical throughout the series, I doubt he goes out of his way to land hits which could put his team in trouble. Other than that, guys like Thornton and Reich who can cause trouble but they shouldn't see more than 6-8 minutes a game.
The Bruins will play dirty if the score gets out of hand. That's the problem with a best of 7 series.

When Toronto played against Ottawa all those years ago, Ottawa would start blowing the Leafs out in the first period, and the Leafs would basically just play for the next game by taking runs at people and physically wearing guys down.

Julien is a dirty coach imo and I don't trust him.

Old
04-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
The Bruins will play dirty if the score gets out of hand. That's the problem with a best of 7 series.

When Toronto played against Ottawa, Ottawa would start blowing the Leafs out in the first period, and the Leafs would basically just play for the next game by taking runs at people and physically wearing guys down.

Julien is a dirty coach imo.
Like I said, who is dangerous on that team? In terms of dropping the gloves, they have more guys willing to do it than us, and better fighters but that shouldn't be an overwhelming concern. If there is a linebrawl a couple of our guys might get beat, but it's not as though they have some overwhelming edge in terms of intimidation on us.

Bégin/Kosto can handle Reich. Komisarek can (hopefully) handle Lucic. I don't know who I would throw out there against Thornton is he's looking to go, but other than that, I think our guys aren't terribly outmatched if there is a linebrawl.

This is playoff hockey, there will be hits, there will be bad blood, there will probably be a few fights. But as for the Bruins intentionally going out and injuring a Hab player, that's ridiculous. Expect hits, expect intensity, and probably a few fights as well, but Chara is not going to crosscheck someone in the face just "send a message." You may think Julien is dirty, but he's not stupid. He knows special teams could decide this series and I doubt he accepts his players taking bad penalties for no reason.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 10:30 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
This is playoff hockey, there will be hits, there will be bad blood, there will probably be a few fights. But as for the Bruins intentionally going out and injuring a Hab player, that's ridiculous. Expect hits, expect intensity, and probably a few fights as well, but Chara is not going to crosscheck someone in the face just "send a message." You may think Julien is dirty, but he's not stupid. He knows special teams could decide this series and I doubt he accepts his players taking bad penalties for no reason.
I disagree, I think he'll expect it if the game is out of hand. Anyway, you make some good points, we can handle ourselves - it's the cheapshots that I'm worried about though.

If the games are close then it should be very conservative hockey. If the game gets out of hand, the sticks will come out imo.

Old
04-07-2008, 10:54 AM
Guy Caballero

Nothing about the Bruins scares me this year.

Habs in 3.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Biggsy

I had worries about Boston pulling a miracle upset, but their top scorer is out goaltending isn't the greatest and i don't think they're really that tough.

Biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote