HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

My Biggest Worry Facing the Bruins...

Old
04-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Quiet Robert

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
I disagree, I think he'll expect it if the game is out of hand. Anyway, you make some good points, we can handle ourselves - it's the cheapshots that I'm worried about though.

If the games are close then it should be very conservative hockey. If the game gets out of hand, the sticks will come out imo.
That's a good point. If the game is out of reach in the 3rd, we could see some tempers boiling over, but I would hope it just leads to a couple of fights rather than some ugly stuff. Like I said, in terms of fighting I concede we are outmatched, but it's not a total mismatch.

Personally I expect the games to be pretty close though with the Bruins focusing on tight defensive play and establishing their physical game. There could be a 4-1, 5-1 game at some point in the series which could lead to some fights, but I just don't see Kyle McLaren v2.0 coming out of this series.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 11:28 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kachino82 View Post
That's a concern that all teams going into the playoffs have...
Especially teams like Boston/Philly/Ducks who rely more on injuring people rather then talent come playoff time. Pittsburgh won't even have Malkin/Crosby come round 2, they'll be on long term disability.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Form and Substance

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Especially teams like Boston/Philly/Ducks who rely more on injuring people rather then talent come playoff time. Pittsburgh won't even have Malkin/Crosby come round 2, they'll be on long term disability.
I hope you're aware none of these teams are facing the pens in the first round.

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 03:26 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
The Bruins will play dirty if the score gets out of hand. That's the problem with a best of 7 series.

When Toronto played against Ottawa all those years ago, Ottawa would start blowing the Leafs out in the first period, and the Leafs would basically just play for the next game by taking runs at people and physically wearing guys down.

Julien is a dirty coach imo and I don't trust him.

The Bruins haven't played dirty all year long, unless by "dirty" you mean finishing their checks and hitting people legally. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it a player on Montreal who broke a bone in Savard's back recently with a dirty hit?

The Canadians have a lot of team speed, but that speed can be neutralized with clean hard hitting, and that's what usually gets ratcheted up in the playoffs. Either way, I hope the series is intense and well played, as it would be a boost to the league to have this great rivalry renewed in earnest, rather than the loopsided affair it's been over the course of the regular season. Both teams come in with a record of 0-0, let the better team win!!

LSCII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 03:57 PM
Habs_Apostle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catala View Post
A lot of us are taking the bruins way too lightly... I wouldn't be surprised that they do the same trick we played on them in previous match-ups.
Some fans maybe, but I don't think the coaches/players are. They've played consistently well all year and there's no reason why we should see a dip in their play now. The coaches know what the deal is in the playoffs and I'm sure they'll have the young players well prepared.

We have all the tools to beat Boston - we've demonstrated that repeatedly this year. All as we have to do is to play like we know we can and the rest should fall into place. Of course, anything can happen in the playoffs, but we have every reason to be confident.

Go habs Go!

Habs_Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 04:13 PM
Reckless Abandon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Whaaa? We rely more on injuring people? Do you even know how many players we have injured?

If anything we should are the victims... we lost Bergeron for practically the whole year due to a cheap shot, Alberts was out for awhile because of a cheap shot, Savard missed the end of the season because of a dirty hit (by a team "who relies ... on injuring people".. for some reason this seems like a fair accusation by the standards you're using).

Reckless Abandon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 05:00 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJen View Post
I'd prefer to face Boston when it comes to that then Philly.
me too ... phily is terrible... I'm actually going to pray that ovechkin stays healthy... with the number of cheap shots/suspensions this team had this year, you just know that the minute you'll be up by 2 goals its going to get dirty...

Everybody fears them because they are just a bunch of dirty kids. they don't have a strong, physical game... they're just cheap. It amazes me to see repeat-offenders like downie go unpunished.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
The Bruins haven't played dirty all year long, unless by "dirty" you mean finishing their checks and hitting people legally. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it a player on Montreal who broke a bone in Savard's back recently with a dirty hit?

The Canadians have a lot of team speed, but that speed can be neutralized with clean hard hitting, and that's what usually gets ratcheted up in the playoffs. Either way, I hope the series is intense and well played, as it would be a boost to the league to have this great rivalry renewed in earnest, rather than the loopsided affair it's been over the course of the regular season. Both teams come in with a record of 0-0, let the better team win!!

What happened to Savard was cheap, and a punishment should have been given. With what's happened to Bergeron one may think that the team may actually be fair hitters... didn't stop Chara from almost decapitating Kovalev this season when he headed right towards him and elbowed him in the neck against the ramp... I love seeing clean hits, and hate it when cheap shots are made to intentionaly injure people...
Point is, any team would use every little dirty trick to win, they all want the cup... sadly it also involves sending key players into a coma.

Well I'm positive this is going o be one entertaining series, and sadly injuries are to be expected
Go Habs go!

It's bear hunting season.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 08:38 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
All ice is home ice.

bump.

VirginiaMtlExpat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 10:48 AM
stocker

Bruins in 6.

Chara will take care of Begin the COWARD.

Price has no playoff experiance.

stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 10:55 AM
RussCourtnallsGhost

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocker View Post
Bruins in 6.

lol, why is Begin a coward?

RussCourtnallsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 10:56 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Bruins in 6.

Take care of him ? Buy him drinks ? Get him home if he's had one too many ? That's downright nice of big Z. I've said bad things about him in the past, I take them all back.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 10:56 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Bruins in 6.

Thomas has no playoff experience either. Oh and Kovalev has almost has more points in the playoffs then the entire Bruins roster combined.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Turbo

I'm apprehensive about this series. From a Bruins perspective, it has "payback" and "storybook upset" written all over it.

Then again, I had bad feelings before most of the games against the Bruins this year (and I rarely had that before games against other teams). We all know how those fears turned out.

So this is probably a good thing.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Kachino

Send a message via MSN to Kachino
Man. Too much time before the first game... I've seen people posting the same post either on the or boards. Same lame arguments over and over and over again. This will happen... that will happen... Finally at least tonight there's hockey...

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 11:36 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

My biggest worry is the Habs being over confident and taking the Bruins lightly. If that happens we could be in for some trouble.

04-09-2008, 11:45 AM

I really hope this series, whatever the outcome, helps dispell the notion that the Habs are soft.

People have been saying this for too long, if you've watched the Habs this year, I don't ever recall them getting intimidated physically by anyone, in fact, they've swept two of the more physical teams in the East this year in the season series (Philly, Boston). I really hate when analyst/fans use this BS theory when discussing the Habs, this isn't the Habs from 02-03' here, try watching some games.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 11:45 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Better With Age View Post
Is not that we'll lose. Of course losing is always possible but in this case highly unlikely as we are better than them at every statistical and otherwise facet of the game.

My concern is that they hate us so much that they'll hack us to pieces and we'll only have half a team come round 2.

That's my biggest concern too. The Bruins know they can't beat us so they will be playing as dirty as ever and will be trying to injure our best players so they will be out for the rest of the playoffs.

I hate the Bruins for that reason alone. If they could try to play hockey and try to keep up with the Habs, I wouldn't mind it so much, but they are going to goon it up big time and injure our good players.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
That's my biggest concern too. The Bruins know they can't beat us so they will be playing as dirty as ever and will be trying to injure our best players so they will be out for the rest of the playoffs.

I hate the Bruins for that reason alone. If they could try to play hockey and try to keep up with the Habs, I wouldn't mind it so much, but they are going to goon it up big time and injure our good players.
We've been worried about opponents taking liberties on the Habs since game 1 of the preseason this year, and wondered whether or not we needed a goon to nullify this.

Instead the Habs showed ALL YEAR that they never back down from physical teams and that they have the best deterrent for cheap shots and 'gooning' it up. They're power play/skill

As long as they stay true to their identity, it should be the same. If the habs lose a series, it won't be because they got intimidated, that's i'm sure of. While this team may not have a bunch of pugilist, none of them back down for physical confrontations

Old
04-09-2008, 12:00 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
We've been worried about opponents taking liberties on the Habs since game 1 of the preseason this year, and wondered whether or not we needed a goon to nullify this.

Instead the Habs showed ALL YEAR that they never back down from physical teams and that they have the best deterrent for cheap shots and 'gooning' it up. They're power play/skill

As long as they stay true to their identity, it should be the same. If the habs lose a series, it won't be because they got intimidated, that's i'm sure of. While this team may not have a bunch of pugilist, none of them back down for physical confrontations
Honestly, the whole goon thing sopunds silly to me. I agree that Boston's had to endure a lot more than they gave out. I wouldn't defend Philly, in that they seem kind of systemic in their style of play, and frankly, I have little sympathy for their injury probelms at least ona team level. I obviously feel bad for a guy like Gagne.

Boston has some gritty players, a few light heavies, and of course Chara who's on another level physically that the rest of the league. In terms of agression, cheapshots, I think the whole thread premise is silly, though we were able to have some fun with it. There are meanier dirtier teams than the Bruins and woorying about these nasty guys harming our precious forwards sounds rather GrandMotherly.

Old
04-09-2008, 12:14 PM
V-2 Schneider

We'll beat the B's by keeping them out of our end with a fast transition game and causing them turnovers in the neutral zone.They are going to play dump and chase and try to pound our D into mistakes,so our forwards will need to drop back deep into our zone and give the D support.

V-2 Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Honestly, the whole goon thing sopunds silly to me. I agree that Boston's had to endure a lot more than they gave out. I wouldn't defend Philly, in that they seem kind of systemic in their style of play, and frankly, I have little sympathy for their injury probelms at least ona team level. I obviously feel bad for a guy like Gagne.

Boston has some gritty players, a few light heavies, and of course Chara who's on another level physically that the rest of the league. In terms of agression, cheapshots, I think the whole thread premise is silly, though we were able to have some fun with it. There are meanier dirtier teams than the Bruins and woorying about these nasty guys harming our precious forwards sounds rather GrandMotherly.
good post

Old
04-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Exactly. Go through their roster and you'll see about 6 or 7 guys that are REALLY ''mean or gritty or tough'' in Chara, Lucic, Reich, Thornton, Alberts, Stuart, Ward, etc. People here seem to think it's 3/4's of their roster. Most of their top 9 up front is nothing to be affraid of physically (i.e. Kessel, Savard, Axelsson, Schaefer, Sturm, Krejci, Metropolit, even Murray isn't that physical or tough despite his szie)

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 01:01 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I really hope this series, whatever the outcome, helps dispell the notion that the Habs are soft.

People have been saying this for too long, if you've watched the Habs this year, I don't ever recall them getting intimidated physically by anyone, in fact, they've swept two of the more physical teams in the East this year in the season series (Philly, Boston). I really hate when analyst/fans use this BS theory when discussing the Habs, this isn't the Habs from 02-03' here, try watching some games.
The teams who gave us the most fits this year were Detroit, San Jose, Carolina and Rangers. How? Skill, speed and execution is how they did it. Physicall play will never intimidate or beat the Habs even more, they crush teams who play that style. If you want to beat them you will have to beat them at their own game.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 01:08 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Exactly. Go through their roster and you'll see about 6 or 7 guys that are REALLY ''mean or gritty or tough'' in Chara, Lucic, Reich, Thornton, Alberts, Stuart, Ward, etc. People here seem to think it's 3/4's of their roster. Most of their top 9 up front is nothing to be affraid of physically (i.e. Kessel, Savard, Axelsson, Schaefer, Sturm, Krejci, Metropolit, even Murray isn't that physical or tough despite his szie)
There's nothing wrong with the first group, Thornton or Riech can fight better than Begin, but they aren't any more liable to cheap shot someone than any number of Habs. WE saw Lucic and Chara frustrated when they were down laye in a few games, but frankly, Mtl had the better of them this year, who knows which player would have done what if the situation was reversed.

I'm worried about Boston keeping the score low, getting an early lead and gaining confidence, rough stuff, not so much.