HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

CBC puts a 7-second-delay on Cherry:

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2004, 06:12 PM
chris_dub
Avoid Catalina...

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to chris_dub
CBC puts a 7-second-delay on Cherry:

CBC puts Cherry on seven-second delay

OTTAWA (CP) -
The CBC has placed controversial hockey commentator Don Cherry on a seven-second tape-delay leash and publicly reprimanded him over what management called an ``inappropriate and reprehensible personal opinion'' expressed on air.

The announcement came Friday from Harold Redekopp, executive vice-president of CBC Television, and capped a day of Cherry-baiting invective that rivalled some of the former NHL coach's colourful public pronouncements. ``Mr. Cherry's role on Coach's Corner is, and has always been, as a hockey commentator,'' Redekopp said in a release.

TSN.ca/nhl

Old
02-06-2004, 06:38 PM
Artyukhin*

i personally dont see the big deal here..ok maybe he went to far..maybe he didnt..i watch the wwe wrestling and there all the time dirting the frech,saying there low life scum and worse etc...how come no one in parliment gets up and challenges vince mcmans story lines that portrait french as dirt and scum?ever think of that?no 7 second delay on wwe when they trash quebeckers eh?..something to think about

Old
02-06-2004, 06:40 PM
Erngueva

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie
i personally dont see the big deal here..ok maybe he went to far..maybe he didnt..i watch the wwe wrestling and there all the time dirting the frech,saying there low life scum and worse etc...how come no one in parliment gets up and challenges vince mcmans story lines that portrait french as dirt and scum?ever think of that?no 7 second delay on wwe when they trash quebeckers eh?..something to think about
Well, maybe because WWE is American and CBC is Canadien and a STATE TELEVISION.

Old
02-06-2004, 06:59 PM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Americans can do anything they want to the French. They have replaced Russia as the people to blame. Our federal government is French, you can't even say they wear visors without being investigated.

Old
02-06-2004, 07:13 PM
PK*

The point is he said French Canadians are chickens because they wear visors. Because he generalized that all French Canadians are chickens, that is racism and a government organism cannot accept it. Cherry went too far and he should be fired. He shouldn've been fired a long time ago. French Canadians pay roughly 25 % of his salary, he can't say things like that. State Television cannot promote racism toward its country's people. It's as simple as that.

Plus, saying that players are chickens because they wear visors is one of the most stupid things I've ever heard. This guy must have burned his only remaining brain cell. I respect a player that wears the visor mush more than a player that doesn't wear it. Health is much more important than a sack of ****'s perception. Why are people listenning to him anyway ? He's a moronic person that makes a living of laughing at his own country and yapping on CBC, a station that is stupid enough to keep him there for way too long.

Old
02-06-2004, 07:23 PM
ducky

Wasn't the issue the "immersion" line?

Old
02-06-2004, 07:24 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopelFan
Our federal government is French, you can't even say they wear visors without being investigated.
Our federal government is *Canadian*, not french. We're an ocean away from France and Europe. It just happens that our country is bilingual using both French and English as official languages.

This can be a healthy mix when people embrace their differences and act like adults. It can also suck when some folks have kneejerk, childish comments like yours above.

While the differences between francophones and anglophones stand out (like speaking a different language obviously will) I happen to think they are fairly superficial when you dig a little deeper and we share a lot more in common than one might think at first.

Ironically, one of the thing we share most in common is an unconditional love for hockey. Canadians are just hockey nuts. You'd think Canadian coverage would highlight that fact but no. Our national broadcaster CBC prefers to put a xenophobic, outdated, clownish retard on the air. Thus, what could be an event that unites all Canadians ends up doing the opposite.

Old
02-06-2004, 07:24 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK
that is racism and a government organism cannot accept it.
I stopped here. Cherry's comments might have been biased and prejudiced, but they sure as hell weren't racist. Since when are French Canadians a separate race?

I won't even try to respond to the government being an organism.

Old
02-06-2004, 07:25 PM
MontrealSF
Lars Eller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie
We call that a Storyline. And they are paying a lot of french canadians (Sylvain Grenier, Rene Duprée, Pat Patterson) in US money.

Old
slyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_dub
CBC puts Cherry on seven-second delay

OTTAWA (CP) -
The CBC has placed controversial hockey commentator Don Cherry on a seven-second tape-delay leash and publicly reprimanded him over what management called an ``inappropriate and reprehensible personal opinion'' expressed on air.

The announcement came Friday from Harold Redekopp, executive vice-president of CBC Television, and capped a day of Cherry-baiting invective that rivalled some of the former NHL coach's colourful public pronouncements. ``Mr. Cherry's role on Coach's Corner is, and has always been, as a hockey commentator,'' Redekopp said in a release.

TSN.ca/nhl
About Cherry; if you do not want to support that clown. Sent your complaints to www.cbc.ca or customer@mooresuit.com (Moore is the sponsor of Coach Corner).

Last edited by slyc: 02-06-2004 at 07:29 PM.
Old
Natural Habs Fan

Way too much PC involved here.

One day we'll live in a world where nobody can say anything and people won't be able to do much cause almost everything offends someone else.

Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit here but does anyone else see a problem with all the censorship that's going around? It's almost ridiculous.

We have TV shows based around murder and psychos but people get offended when a sports caster makes a generalization, a *** pops out on TV (OMG A BOOBIE… EVIL) or a certain culture is mentioned in a video game (GTA: VC).

One day we won’t have a voice and we’ll only have ourselves to blame.

Old
02-06-2004, 07:26 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky
Wasn't the issue the "immersion" line?
The immersion joke was made by his sidekick buffoon, MacLean.

Old
02-06-2004, 07:33 PM
SopelFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
Our federal government is *Canadian*, not french. We're an ocean away from France and Europe. It just happens that our country is bilingual using both French and English as official languages.

This can be a healthy mix when people embrace their differences and act like adults. It can also suck when some folks have kneejerk, childish comments like yours above.

While the differences between francophones and anglophones stand out (like speaking a different language obviously will) I happen to think they are fairly superficial when you dig a little deeper and we share a lot more in common than one might think at first.

Ironically, one of the thing we share most in common is an unconditional love for hockey. Canadians are just hockey nuts. You'd think Canadian coverage would highlight that fact but no. Our national broadcaster CBC prefers to put a xenophobic, outdated, clownish retard on the air. Thus, what could be an event that unites all Canadians ends up doing the opposite.
I am not anti-French, anti-visor, or anti-European, I just can't believe so much hype is from a simple line that someone wears a visor. How many times has he said something about Europeans and nothing has happened to him? I don't agree with his comments, but this is being taken waaaaaaay too far. No Montreal players (visor wearers, french, europeans) cared... why are we? Although I do agree that Cherry should stick to hockey, that way we won't have to argue unwillingly about visors and who wears them. No offense meant by my "kneejerk, childish comments". I actually love the French, and know French people.

Old
02-06-2004, 07:37 PM
Artyukhin*

cherry is from the old school remember that eh...you ever talk to an old farmer or older person ?if you do ask them some question about the old days and here's what i hear anyway

boys they dont makim like they used to..they cant build cars now a days like they did back in the 60 ..or we'd go to the legion and drink and get into a fight and then we'd buy each other a beer after the fight,..cherry has the old world point of views and there are many like him ..he grew up watching players play with no helmets,golies didnt wear masks,and it was old time hockey..now the players are dressed like the have body armour on..you put a picture of bobby orr or gordie howe,steve shut,larry robinson or who ever and then take some of the players now and compare the picture...wow what and equipment difference...thats whats wrong players feel to safe out there ..they hack and wack ,stick flyin eveywere's because the feel safe with all the gear on..i swear if the nhl made all players revert back to no helmet and should pads like back in the 80 ,there would be less injuries...i mean all these concussions and high sticks takin peoples eyes out like come on...was it that bad back in the 70 with no helmets and 80 ?...players feel to safe and have lost respect for each other...i think before they show coaches corner that they should run " comments made here are not the opinion of the cbc and and are sorley the views of don cherry and ron mclean"...then sit back and shut up or turn off the tv if yu dont like whats being said..i have the option to turn the channel if i dont like what on the tv like dirty comedy show or one's that use profanity or nudity they warn you before the show comes on..so do the same with don cherry and shut up right?...i been to the jusrt for laughs comedy show and comedien make fun of quebec all the time...but people just laugh..why?because there a comedian and they can get away with racism?...l

Old
02-06-2004, 07:39 PM
PK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
I stopped here. Cherry's comments might have been biased and prejudiced, but they sure as hell weren't racist. Since when are French Canadians a separate race?

I won't even try to respond to the government being an organism.
Well, it might not be how all the people felt, but to me, it looked like racism. It might not have been the best use of the word, but I don't know what other word I could've used. It was hate based on language, something Cherry seems to promote. I am a French Canadian and I don't live in Quebec, so we pretty much have to fight for our rights everyday. The fact that he said that on a station funded by the governement is what overwhelms me. For the organism thing, I just directly translated the word from French but I hope you understood what I meant .

Old
02-06-2004, 07:42 PM
Belamorte
Feed Your Head

Just too bad the CBC did not put a permanent delay on Cherry and put someone who is relevant to todays game in that timeslot.

Old
02-06-2004, 07:47 PM
SopelFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickinghorse
Just too bad the CBC did not put a permanent delay on Cherry and put someone who is relevant to todays game in that timeslot.
Kelly Hrudey?

Old
02-06-2004, 07:47 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyF
We call that a Storyline. And they are paying a lot of french canadians (Sylvain Grenier, Rene Duprée, Pat Patterson) in US money.
======
yup there ya go story line eh...well yu see the hard core wrestling fans latley?these story line are real to them...so if the french are protrait as scum they belive it...if you think im lying just check out the comment on the wrestling chatrooms about there thoughts of the frech due to the "storyline"...so what they pay frech people ,but they also let there hertiage be slander and dragged thru the mud for the US dollar also ...think of that...just picture this..if there was a sitcom on every week called we hate french people would you watch it would it outrage you ..i think it would or would you say it is just a story line?..well the wwe wrestling got that sitcom on evey week already and no one say anything..but it's just a story line i forgot

Old
02-06-2004, 07:48 PM
PK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopelFan
I am not anti-French, anti-visor, or anti-European, I just can't believe so much hype is from a simple line that someone wears a visor. How many times has he said something about Europeans and nothing has happened to him? I don't agree with his comments, but this is being taken waaaaaaay too far. No Montreal players (visor wearers, french, europeans) cared... why are we? Although I do agree that Cherry should stick to hockey, that way we won't have to argue unwillingly about visors and who wears them. No offense meant by my "kneejerk, childish comments". I actually love the French, and know French people.
Any canadian governement employee cannot use his job to publically laugh at either major linguistic group in the country. Cherry shouldn't be different. And it's not only that incident, it's more that these minor incident kept adding up and the visor comment is the direct cause for that. To all those that say it is nothing important, it was debatted today in Ottawa in the House of Commons and they are considering disciplining Cherry.

Old
02-06-2004, 07:51 PM
Bud The Spud*

Send a message via MSN to Bud The Spud*
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK
I am a French Canadian and I don't live in Quebec, so we pretty much have to fight for our rights everyday.
Yeah, the Canadian government is so oppressive toward French Canadians.

Cherry is an idiot and I hope this seven second time delay works well. I'd prefer that he be fired, but that will probably never happen.

Old
02-06-2004, 07:52 PM
SopelFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK
Any canadian governement employee cannot use his job to publically laugh at either major linguistic group in the country. Cherry shouldn't be different. And it's not only that incident, it's more that these minor incident kept adding up and the visor comment is the direct cause for that. To all those that say it is nothing important, it was debatted today in Ottawa in the House of Commons and they are considering disciplining Cherry.
IMO, they should focus on bringing unemployment rates down.

Old
02-06-2004, 07:57 PM
Peter Griffin

Cherry is a running joke, nobody should take anything he says seriously. That said, he shouldn't have said what he said, even if he is a senile old man. The CBC can't just pretend nothing happened, they had to do something about the "incident".

Old
02-06-2004, 08:00 PM
SopelFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
Cherry is a running joke, nobody should take anything he says seriously. That said, he shouldn't have said what he said, even if he is a senile old man. The CBC can't just pretend nothing happened, they had to do something about the "incident".
Agreed competely. I don't have a good knack for words.

Old
02-06-2004, 08:02 PM
Artyukhin*

i think don cherry should leave cbc anyways..don get your own show again and say so long to the cbc..maybe just air the show outside of quebec only since they dont like you...who goin to replace don between periods..?kelly hurdey?no stay behind the mask kelly plaese...how about perrie mcguire..(wamo)...oh lord i got it now how about comentators corner between periods with bob cloe and harry neale..lol...yu take awat cherry as opinionated as he is you lose views ..wait this is the cbc the less viewers the better right ..i mean they strive to lose money,right..leave don let the cbc suffer...i can see it now cometators corner with bob cole brought to you by ford....

Old
02-06-2004, 08:02 PM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud The Spud
Yeah, the Canadian government is so oppressive toward French Canadians.

Cherry is an idiot and I hope this seven second time delay works well. I'd prefer that he be fired, but that will probably never happen.
And then people will complain that Cherry got canned and that Coach's Corner became stale and boring. Doubtful CBC would go that far, unless people stopped watching his segment, in large enough number to affect their ratings.

Closed Thread