HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

Old
04-06-2008, 06:22 PM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Official Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

Alright guys, it's that time of year that Panthers fans know as "scouting", the Stanley Cup playoffs! Sure we're not in it again, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy watching some of the other talented players go at it in 4 rounds of 7 game series that are sure to start/increase some rivalries.

Without further ado, here's the matchups for the first round. I'll give my picks and let's see who you think will win:

Round 1: Quaterfinals

Eastern Conference

(1) Montreal VS. (8) Boston
My Pick: Montreal, without question one of the bigger surprise hot teams this year but they've won the regular season East and are now primed to take it to one of their biggest rivals. One of the many divisional matchups, this one should be a doozy.

(2) Pittsburgh VS. (7) Ottawa
My Pick: Pittsburgh, not just because of Crosby and Malkin with the Pens having a solid tandem, but Ottawa is plain spiraling downwards. Their early winning shows that can get you into the playoffs, but the sheer number of injuries and uncertainties leads to a first round exist, and maybe a sweep to boot.

(3) Washington VS. (6) Philadelphia
My Pick: Washington, primarily because they have all the momentum going into the playoffs. But it's going to be closer than you think because Philly's super tough physical style could easily wear thin on the Caps into a potential seven game series, not to mention the amount of inexperience in D.C.

(4) New Jersey VS. (5) New York Rangers
My Pick: New York, and it's not an easy pick. NJ is not to be trifled with and this will be a major goaltending duel. However, when New York is able to push the game to their style they are tough to stop. Still this is a true 4/5 matchup because it's so close to call.

Western Conference

(1) Detroit VS. (8) Nashville
My Pick: Detroit, but in at least 6 games. Nashville is going to come on hard but just fall short. Detroit is just in the end, too much to handle. Such a great system is hard to get past but Nashville will not go quietly, no sir.

(2) San Jose VS. (7) Calgary
My Pick: San Jose, sorry, they are too dangerous and explosive now with the addition of Campbell. On top of which, while the Flames are a good team, Keenan is the major crux that could ruin them. The team moreover got there not because of, but despite Keenan, considering the amount of talent guys like Iginla, Phaneuf, and Kipper can put out there. It's still no match for Thornton and Co.

(3) Minnesota Vs. (6) Colorado
My Pick: Colorado, and I might regret that one. Chances are I undervalue what Minny can bring to the table but I love what the Avs can offer. Not just a return to their history but a major boost by adding back in Forsberg and getting Theodore back to his form. Somehow I know this is the upset I'll get wrong.

(4) Anaheim VS. (5) Dallas
My Pick: Anaheim, and not because Anaheim is so great, they really aren't this year (expect a 2nd round exit), but because Dallas just doesn't have enough to do it. Turco has been such an awful playoff goalie, Richards has fallen back to his old self and things aren't like they used to be in Dallas. Plus you probably don't want to mess with Scott Niedermayer in the playoffs.

So what do you guys think? The playoffs begin this Wednesday (matchup times to be announced). The East should especially be entertaining.

My hopeful final: San Jose VS. Washington.

Florida Panthers: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Lottery...Winners?
Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 06:56 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Here are my picks, which are eerily similar to PRock's. However, mine do not carry any reasoning, because I am lazy.

Eastern Conference

Western Conference

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers Rock View Post
Alright guys, it's that time of year that Panthers fans know as "scouting", the Stanley Cup playoffs! Sure we're not in it again, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy watching some of the other talented players go at it in 4 rounds of 7 game series that are sure to start/increase some rivalries.

Without further ado, here's the matchups for the first round. I'll give my picks and let's see who you think will win:

Eastern Conference

My Pick: Montreal, without question one of the bigger surprise hot teams this year but they've won the regular season East and are now primed to take it to one of their biggest rivals. One of the many divisional matchups, this one should be a doozy.

My Pick: Pittsburgh, not just because of Crosby and Malkin with the Pens having a solid tandem, but Ottawa is plain spiraling downwards. Their early winning shows that can get you into the playoffs, but the sheer number of injuries and uncertainties leads to a first round exist, and maybe a sweep to boot.

My Pick: Washington, primarily because they have all the momentum going into the playoffs. But it's going to be closer than you think because Philly's super tough physical style could easily wear thin on the Caps into a potential seven game series, not to mention the amount of inexperience in D.C.

My Pick: New York, and it's not an easy pick. NJ is not to be trifled with and this will be a major goaltending duel. However, when New York is able to push the game to their style they are tough to stop. Still this is a true 4/5 matchup because it's so close to call.

Western Conference

My Pick: Detroit, but in at least 6 games. Nashville is going to come on hard but just fall short. Detroit is just in the end, too much to handle. Such a great system is hard to get past but Nashville will not go quietly, no sir.

My Pick: San Jose, sorry, they are too dangerous and explosive now with the addition of Campbell. On top of which, while the Flames are a good team, Keenan is the major crux that could ruin them. The team moreover got there not because of, but despite Keenan, considering the amount of talent guys like Iginla, Phaneuf, and Kipper can put out there. It's still no match for Thornton and Co.

My Pick: Colorado, and I might regret that one. Chances are I undervalue what Minny can bring to the table but I love what the Avs can offer. Not just a return to their history but a major boost by adding back in Forsberg and getting Theodore back to his form. Somehow I know this is the upset I'll get wrong.

My Pick: Anaheim, and not because Anaheim is so great, they really aren't this year (expect a 2nd round exit), but because Dallas just doesn't have enough to do it. Turco has been such an awful playoff goalie, Richards has fallen back to his old self and things aren't like they used to be in Dallas. Plus you probably don't want to mess with Scott Niedermayer in the playoffs.

So what do you guys think? The playoffs begin this Wednesday (matchup times to be announced). The East should especially be entertaining.

My hopeful final: San Jose VS. Washington.
I agree with all of your picks really except Colorado. Minnesota is always underrated, and they have great special teams. They just have too much of a balanced attack for the Avs' defense to handle. I'm still not sure about NJ/NYR. I think the Rangers will eke it out, but Brodeur is just legendary in the playoffs. He can steal this series, no doubt about it. It's just a matter of whether he will or not.

I think Washington will win, but I agree with you, it's going to be a lot closer than people might think. Philly has a really deep offense and when they're on, they're almost as good as anybody in the league. And they will definitely be physical on Ovechkin.

My Cup final prediction is Pittsburgh and San Jose, with the Sharks taking it home this year.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 09:32 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

I want Boston to win because I absolutely despise Montreal's fans and the way they play, but I think the Habs are going to take this series in 5 or 6.

I think Pittsburgh could have this easily in a sweep or in 5 with Ottawa's recent downfall.

My Pick: I'd love to see the Capitals win this series because I'm rooting for them to go to the Cup in the East and I hate the Flyers, but I think it's going to be a close one that may go to 7 games. I'm still going with the Caps.

This was a tough one also, but since the Devils swept them last season in the 2nd round and seem to be the better team most of the time when these two meet up, I'm going with NJ.

Western Conference

I feel bad for the Predators since they've had to face the Red Wings I believe three years in a row to start off. I'd love to see Nashville take this one bearing a miracle, but I see Detroit winning this in 5 or 6.

I'd like to see Calgary win this, but with the recent huge surge of San Jose, I see them winning this in 6. I think Calgary "may" surprise though.

This may be another tough series to choose, and both sides have a lot of positives in many areas, but since I'm rooting for the Avs to go all the way, I'm going with Colorado to win the series in 6 or 7.

I think this will be more lopsided than most think. The Ducks are obviously the defending Stanley Cup Champions, and I think if Selanne and Niedermayer were on the roster from the start, they may have beat out San Jose for the division lead. At least this series should be halfway exciting unlike last season against Vancouver since they both play a very physical game. Then, on the other side, Dallas has been dreadful in the playoffs over the past seven or eight years, so I'm going with Anaheim in 5.

Last edited by FlaPnthrsPunk: 04-06-2008 at 09:52 PM.
FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 12:37 AM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Detroit in 6

San Jose in 4

Minnesota in 6

Dallas in 7

Montreal in 5

Pittsburgh in 5

Washington in 6

Rangers in 6

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 09:03 AM
Acadmus

I'll just steal PRock's post to use as a template And I'll pick the number of games, too.

Eastern Conference

Montreal, 4-1. Boston is a decent team, but struggled with consistency and - most importantly - I believe went 0-8 against the Habs this season. Not a recipe for success.

Pittsburgh 4-3. This one's tough. I want to see the Pens go on, but Ottawa's got a solid team. I haven't seen the injury lists, as Ottawa could be the better team when healthy...then again, goaltending has been an issue for them this season, while Pittsburgh's goalies have overachieved.

Washington, 4-2. Home ice, lots of momentum, and some solid playoff experience in the lineup (I forgot they picked up Sergei Federov) should help. Philly's been struggling, the Caps surging. I'd say Philly's still not made for consistent competition at this point. Still, when you remember where they were just two years ago, it's not bad for them.

Rangers 4-1. I'd never count the Devils out, but there are times the Rangers just seem to have their number, and times the Devils have the Rangers' number. I think the Rags are going to be solid enough this year to get past Brodeur...a key to this is that New Jersey hasn't mustered much offense this season.

Western Conference

Detroit, 4-0. I'm going boldly here because I know some people think Detroit's just too soft a team to make it in the playoffs. But this has been the most consistent team this season, and has led the league in points almost all year without ever really being in jeopardy of losing that status - they won't fold in the first round, and I think will completely overwhelm Nashville.

San Jose, 4-1. Keenan got some results out of this team, but is starting to ruin key players again with head games (saw Hus is in his doghouse again). San Jose meanwhile has been hot lately and is a deep team.

Colorado 4-2. I'm sticking with Panthers Rock on this one. Forsberg's addition powered the Avs into playoff position and has lifted the team impressively. Sure, he's bound to be injured anytime, but I'm hedging my bets and saying he lives through the playoffs this year. Minnesota, meanwhile, still lives in Lemaire's trap system and hasn't seen much playoff success lately.

Anaheim, 4-3. Yeah, of any team in the league Dallas most gives Anaheim fits. But the Ducks have a lot of last season's championship team back in the fold now...really all but Penner. Dallas just hasn't gotten on my radar despite a solid season, so I'm going to say they're not winning their second Cup this year. In fact, the Ducks are my favorite to go on.

Conference Semifinals
Based on the above predictions, without much analysis:

East
#1 Montreal vs. #5 NY Rangers
Montreal, 4-1.

#2 Pittsburgh vs. #3 Washington
Pittsburgh, 4-2. Bettman's wet dream Pittsburgh's got a better overall team, though Ovechkin's been better than Crosby this year.

West
#1 Detroit vs. #6 Colorado
Detroit, 4-1. Oh, to dream of that rivalry born anew!

#2 San Jose vs. #4 Anaheim
Anaheim, 4-3. My big-name top defensemen are better than your big-name top defensemen.

Conference Finals

East
#1 Montreal vs. #2 Pittsburgh
Montreal, 4-1. If the Habs get this far, they're going to the finals, I think.

West
#1 Detroit vs. #4 Anaheim
Anaheim, 4-2. Detroit will be tired due to age at this point to nullify Anaheim's exhaustion from playing so many games. I still like Anaheim's lineup more.

Stanley Cup Final
Montreal vs. Anaheim
Anaheim, 4-1. Lot of travel here will make for tired players. Being from the West, Anaheim will be more used to it. I think Anaheim's got a more talented roster and will run rings around the Habs (or any Eastern team this season, frankly).

There...now we'll see how badly I'm wrong I've been really off since accurately predicting Detroit's last Stanley Cup in the preseason a few years ago.

04-07-2008, 11:02 AM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Im still pissed there are no playoffs for the Cats, but I'll be at Game 1 for the Devils-Rangers Wednesday night. That place is going to be ridiculous. As for predictions:

MON/BOS: MON in 5.
PIT/OTT: PIT in 7
WAS/PHI: PHI in 7
NJ/NYR: NYR in 6

DET/NSH: DET in 6
SJ/CAL: SJ in 6
MIN/COL: MIN in 6
ANA/DAL: ANA in 7

Stanley Cup Finals: Montreal vs San Jose

NJ_CATS_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Does anyone else REALLY miss Gary Roberts after watching the game last night? That dude is such a ****ing bad-ass.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 12:15 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
Does anyone else REALLY miss Gary Roberts after watching the game last night? That dude is such a ****ing bad-ass.
After watching that first Pens goal and clearly noticing him throughout the game, yeah I'll admit, I do wish he was still a Panther even with his frequent injuries.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

I miss him, but he'll be retired next year or the year after. Meanwhile, Welch is going to be a solid top 4 defenseman for a long time IMO. It was fun watching him last night, though.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 07:20 PM
Clint

I would Sean Avery on this team. Watch the way he's screening Brodeur, it's freaking genius.

Oh! GOAL BY AVERY!!!!!! AHAHAHAHAAHAHAH!!!!!

Edit: Okay, with that being said, I think that a physical pest presence like an Avery or a Jarkko Ruutu would do wonders for this team. I love those kinds of players, they get opponents off their game and make them take stupid penalties.

And Avery CAN put points on the board. I would love if he came here in the summer.

Old
04-13-2008, 07:37 PM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Quote:
I would Sean Avery on this team. Watch the way he's screening Brodeur, it's freaking genius.

Edit: Okay, with that being said, I think that a physical pest presence like an Avery or a Jarkko Ruutu would do wonders for this team. I love those kinds of players, they get opponents off their game and make them take stupid penalties.

And Avery CAN put points on the board. I would love if he came here in the summer.
That was insane, he was screening Brodeur by facing him instead of the play and it worked dastardly, wow. Devils really don't stand a chance in this series. I don't see Avery coming here but we've been lacking that net presence since Roberts left, it's a huge asset.

Old
04-13-2008, 09:21 PM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Of course it figures both teams down 2-0 won tonight, heh. Oh well, I still find it hard to believe either NJ or Boston can win their respective series.

Meanwhile, the Sharks are up 3-0 in the 1st period in Calgary, craziness. They came to play tonight. Keenan pulled Kipper already of course, we know he won't hesitate to do that.

Old
04-13-2008, 09:21 PM
VirtualSpree

Marc Staal goes 5 hole to beat Lundqvist and win the game.

Pretty funny ending to that OT

VirtualSpree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 09:20 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:

Not me, I hate that guy. He was litereally kicked out of LA because of what a distraction he is to his teammates. That was ridiculous, he's a pro athlete, not a 5 year old. He does way more damage than he does good and he's going to be asking for way too much money. It would be hard for me to continue to cheer for this team with that pathetic clown on the ice.

If we have to have a pest, I'll gladly take Neil, Ruutu, Tootoo, or Burrows over that piece of trash.

Besides, how many teams with pests like Avery have won the Cup lately? What has Avery done other than infuriate his teammates?

04-14-2008, 09:20 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSpree View Post
Marc Staal goes 5 hole to beat Lundqvist and win the game.

Pretty funny ending to that OT
The way it should have went down.

I guess from now on we're going to start seeing teams go out with Mickey Mouse sized gloves to wave their hands in front of the goalie?

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 02:52 PM
VirtualSpree

that was pretty much the funniest way of screening a goalie ever, and even Manny Legace had to agree on versus.

Aaaand the NHL ruled on it and it's an illegal move from now on.
Quote:
"An unsportsmanlike conduct minor penalty will be interpreted and applied, effective immediately, to a situation when an offensive player positions himself facing the opposition goaltender and engages in actions such as waving his arms or stick in front of the goaltender's face, for the purpose of improperly interfering with and/or distracting the goaltender as opposed to positioning himself to try to make a play," Colin Campbell, the NHL director of hockey operations said in a statement.
http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/...ics.php?page=1

Last edited by VirtualSpree: 04-14-2008 at 03:05 PM.
Old
04-14-2008, 03:40 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSpree View Post
that was pretty much the funniest way of screening a goalie ever, and even Manny Legace had to agree on versus.

Aaaand the NHL ruled on it and it's an illegal move from now on.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/...ics.php?page=1
Doesn't mean anything. Standing in the crease so that you interfere with the goalie's ability to move to stop a puck is supposed to be a goaltender interference penalty and nullify a goal, too - but I saw it in a game last week (think it was one of the Philly/Washington games but not sure) and the goal wasn't challenged. The puck was passed cross ice, there was an offensive player standing right in the middle of the goalie's crease, the goalie couldn't move over to cover the other side of the net for this reason alone, and the puck was shot into the empty side. No wave-off by refs, no video review, not even complaining about it from announcers or the other team. But it was clear goalie interference.

Why have rules if you won't enforce them?

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 03:58 PM
VirtualSpree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
Doesn't mean anything. Standing in the crease so that you interfere with the goalie's ability to move to stop a puck is supposed to be a goaltender interference penalty and nullify a goal, too - but I saw it in a game last week (think it was one of the Philly/Washington games but not sure) and the goal wasn't challenged. The puck was passed cross ice, there was an offensive player standing right in the middle of the goalie's crease, the goalie couldn't move over to cover the other side of the net for this reason alone, and the puck was shot into the empty side. No wave-off by refs, no video review, not even complaining about it from announcers or the other team. But it was clear goalie interference.

Why have rules if you won't enforce them?
He wasn't standing in the crease, he was outside the crease and wasn't touching Brodeur at all. It's not goalie interference, but it's now unsportsmanlike conduct thanks to Colin Campbell.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ec_2oKWe2Gw

Old
04-14-2008, 04:23 PM
Georgia Panther

Excuse me, but aren't players taught and encouraged to screen the goalie? Yes, Avery did it to the extreme and because he was facing the goalie an Unsportsmanship should be called but if he simply turned around and did the exact same thing without facing the goalie that should be a legal play.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 04:30 PM
VirtualSpree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Excuse me, but aren't players taught and encouraged to screen the goalie? Yes, Avery did it to the extreme and because he was facing the goalie an Unsportsmanship should be called but if he simply turned around and did the exact same thing without facing the goalie that should be a legal play.
You're right. Screening is still legal. Doing what Avery did is not as of today.

Quote:
An unsportsmanlike conduct minor penalty will be interpreted and applied, effective immediately, to a situation when an offensive player positions himself facing the opposition goaltender and engages in actions such as waving his arms or stick in front of the goaltender's face,

Old
04-14-2008, 05:03 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther
Nothing wrong with standing in front of him, but don't jump around like an idiot.

Last edited by Laus723: 04-14-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 07:23 PM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Nothing wrong with standing in front of him, but don't jump around like an idiot.
Since when has jumping around like an idiot been an infraction?

I think that waving his stick in the air should be illegal, but since when can the league mandate where a player stands during play and in what direction he is facing?

I think the league response is absurd and a gross overreaction.

Old
04-14-2008, 08:45 PM
Happy Girl

Quote:
He should donate his back to his friend Joe Nieuwendyk. I miss my Joey, especially this time of the year.

Quote:

If he's not a distraction in the dressing room - ok. Instigators like Lemieux, Avery, etc... when they are on their game and are on your team - can be a good thing. When they create too many off ice distractions or get sloppy, then no way.

I didn't see the screen on Brodeur so i can't really comment on that. But there are times when I question Campbell and his lack of consistency with the calls. I expressed this when the Zednik injury game was allowed to continue. Stuff like this, IMO, only hurts the league because it places too much of the outcome of games in the hands of the officials. It's the playoffs. let the PLAYERS decide the outcome.

Happy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 08:55 PM
Happy Girl

wow the sens are going down quickly

Happy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote