HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

Old
04-21-2008, 09:36 PM
Cfan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
-------------------------
I think this is appropriate.

Cfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2008, 10:54 PM
Lola
Future Panthers

Good to see the Caps hanging on to a game 7.

Lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2008, 11:00 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfan View Post
I think this is appropriate.
Unfortunately so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
Good to see the Caps hanging on to a game 7.
Yes it is. They won't get past the next round if they don't wake up a bit more, though.

04-22-2008, 06:21 AM
Acadmus

I'm up to 5/6 predictions proving correct.

The NHL is rooting for the Caps to win tonight, btw - then they get their dream matchup: Pens vs. Caps, Crosby vs. Ovechkin

04-22-2008, 11:24 AM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
I'm up to 5/6 predictions proving correct.

The NHL is rooting for the Caps to win tonight, btw - then they get their dream matchup: Pens vs. Caps, Crosby vs. Ovechkin
I'm hoping for the Caps, too. I know I live and die by the Southeast division rivalries but Ovechkin is my favorite player in the game, bar none. I don't think I want them to go all the way, but I do hope that they knock out those ******** in Philly.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 10:11 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Lupul with the PP winner in OT puts the Flyers into the quarters. What a great game. Unfortunate for Washington.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 11:25 PM
Acadmus

Well, I've dropped to 5/7 and now awaiting the result of San Jose/Calgary.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 12:55 AM
Clint

Quote:
Well, I've dropped to 5/7 and now awaiting the result of San Jose/Calgary.
San Jose > Calgary.

6/8. Not bad.

Old
04-23-2008, 06:44 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
San Jose > Calgary.

6/8. Not bad.
I'd feel better if one of the 2 wasn't my pick to win the Cup

I have to redo all my second round picks now, too, since I picked one series wrong in each Conference. *sigh*

Old
04-23-2008, 07:08 AM
Clint

Quote:
I'd feel better if one of the 2 wasn't my pick to win the Cup

I have to redo all my second round picks now, too, since I picked one series wrong in each Conference. *sigh*
I'm pretty sure that Pitt is going to take it all. They're looking good. Scary good.

Old
04-23-2008, 07:55 AM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Round 1: Quaterfinals

Eastern Conference
(1) Montreal VS. (8) Boston
(2) Pittsburgh VS. (7) Ottawa
(3) Washington VS. (6) Philadelphia

(4) New Jersey VS. (5) New York Rangers

Western Conference
(1) Detroit VS. (8) Nashville
(2) San Jose VS. (7) Calgary
(3) Minnesota Vs. (6) Colorado
(4) Anaheim VS. (5) Dallas

I guess I was perfect in the West, but came out 6/8 in my predictions. Not too shabby, considering that every team I usually pick disappoints.

Round 2: Semifinals

Eastern Conference

(1) Montreal vs (6) Philadelphia
(2) Pittsburgh vs (5) New York Rangers

Western Conference
(1) Detroit vs (6) Colorado
(2) San Jose vs (5) Dallas

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 09:04 AM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmanfu View Post

Round 2: Semifinals

Eastern Conference

(1) Montreal vs (6) Philadelphia
(2) Pittsburgh vs (5) New York Rangers

Western Conference
(1) Detroit vs (6) Colorado
(2) San Jose vs (5) Dallas

I'm thinking that Dallas pulls the upset over San Jose. Besides that, we're on the same page.

Old
04-23-2008, 09:28 AM
Acadmus

Eastern Conference
#1 Montreal vs #6 Philadelphia
#2 Pittsburgh vs #5 New York Rangers

This completely screws up my earlier predictions, and is much harder for me...
I think Philly will edge Montreal somehow - that's my gut instinct. I had the Habs in the Cup Finals before, but they were supposed to get the Rangers in the second round. I felt better about that matchup. Meanwhile...hard to pick between Pittsburgh and NY.

I'm going to go Philly in 6. Pittsburgh in 5.

Western Conference
#1 Detroit vs #6 Colorado
#2 San Jose vs #5 Dallas

Hah! I didn't realize the exact same seeds advanced in both conferences. What're the odds?

Detroit...Colorado...Detroit...Colorado...could go either way.
Avs upset Wings in 7.

San Jose, seasoned against Calgary, pushes down Dallas in 6.

I have absolute, total, complete confidence in my predictions with about 20% certainty.

Last edited by Acadmus: 04-23-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Old
04-23-2008, 07:50 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Detroit better beat Colorado. Otherwise our third round pick will be from #87-90 instead of #80. I think they will. Detroit in 6.

San Jose in 7

Montreal in 6

Pittsburgh in 6

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 10:15 PM
Panthers Rock
Oh...Yeah ;)

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers Rock View Post
Round 1: Quaterfinals

Eastern Conference

(1) Montreal VS. (8) Boston
My Pick: Montreal, without question one of the bigger surprise hot teams this year but they've won the regular season East and are now primed to take it to one of their biggest rivals. One of the many divisional matchups, this one should be a doozy.

(2) Pittsburgh VS. (7) Ottawa
My Pick: Pittsburgh, not just because of Crosby and Malkin with the Pens having a solid tandem, but Ottawa is plain spiraling downwards. Their early winning shows that can get you into the playoffs, but the sheer number of injuries and uncertainties leads to a first round exist, and maybe a sweep to boot.

(3) Washington VS. (6) Philadelphia
My Pick: Washington, primarily because they have all the momentum going into the playoffs. But it's going to be closer than you think because Philly's super tough physical style could easily wear thin on the Caps into a potential seven game series, not to mention the amount of inexperience in D.C.

(4) New Jersey VS. (5) New York Rangers
My Pick: New York, and it's not an easy pick. NJ is not to be trifled with and this will be a major goaltending duel. However, when New York is able to push the game to their style they are tough to stop. Still this is a true 4/5 matchup because it's so close to call.

Western Conference

(1) Detroit VS. (8) Nashville
My Pick: Detroit, but in at least 6 games. Nashville is going to come on hard but just fall short. Detroit is just in the end, too much to handle. Such a great system is hard to get past but Nashville will not go quietly, no sir.

(2) San Jose VS. (7) Calgary
My Pick: San Jose, sorry, they are too dangerous and explosive now with the addition of Campbell. On top of which, while the Flames are a good team, Keenan is the major crux that could ruin them. The team moreover got there not because of, but despite Keenan, considering the amount of talent guys like Iginla, Phaneuf, and Kipper can put out there. It's still no match for Thornton and Co.

(3) Minnesota Vs. (6) Colorado
My Pick: Colorado, and I might regret that one. Chances are I undervalue what Minny can bring to the table but I love what the Avs can offer. Not just a return to their history but a major boost by adding back in Forsberg and getting Theodore back to his form. Somehow I know this is the upset I'll get wrong.

(4) Anaheim VS. (5) Dallas
My Pick: Anaheim, and not because Anaheim is so great, they really aren't this year (expect a 2nd round exit), but because Dallas just doesn't have enough to do it. Turco has been such an awful playoff goalie, Richards has fallen back to his old self and things aren't like they used to be in Dallas. Plus you probably don't want to mess with Scott Niedermayer in the playoffs.

So what do you guys think? The playoffs begin this Wednesday (matchup times to be announced). The East should especially be entertaining.

My hopeful final: San Jose VS. Washington.
Alright not bad, I got 6 out of 8 right. Not bad on the games either. Washington vs. San Jose not happening though heh. Here we go.

Round 2:

Montreal VS. Philadelphia: Oh I'm taking Montreal, Philly played hard and tough to win round 1 but it's too much to beyond Montreal. Sure Montreal need 7 games, too, but the muscle won't outdo the speed in this case. They're the first seed for a reason.

Pittsburgh VS. New York: I have to absolutely take Pitts here. NY, you made short work of NJ, but I expected it. Pens are far too much for most teams to handle right now. Rangers will look good but not good enough. I'd say 6 games or so at best. Should be quite the battle, Lundqvist will have to be a big star to win this one.

Detroit VS. Colorado: Ooooh, old school matchup, ok not that old school but it's a rivalry renewed. This is the toughest one to call. Detroit is so strong, yet Colorado is far more impressive than their numbers indicate during the regular season, especially with their deadline pickups. If Theodore continues to kick butt, I like the Avs in this series. Detroit has to crumble at some point.

San Jose VS. Dallas: Not my favorite matchup, but should be interesting nonetheless. I have to give the edge to SJ here, they are strong enough to overcome this, they just have to work their tails off. Dallas winning that series surprised me, it's not the same team I expected but I'd be amazed to see them in the West final.

Florida Panthers: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Lottery...Winners?
Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 08:43 PM
Laus723
Future Now

I hate Philly, but I dislike Montreal a whole lot more (due to their fan's behavior). I hate cheering for Philly.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 09:20 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I hate Philly, but I dislike Montreal a whole lot more (due to their fan's behavior). I hate cheering for Philly.
which fans? i ask that honestly. if you're just referring to some of the jokers around here, then sure, i'd agree. i don't know much about the fans who attend games in montreal but i LOVE watching games from montreal. the energy up there is great. i actually like montreal's team, the culture up there (all the good and bad), centre bell, etc. the truth is that this is where the game began. maybe i have a soft spot for the province as a result of dating a girl up there and spending some time in the area (st. hyacinthe, for those who know the area) but if you're fan of the sport, it's hard to come away from a trip there hating anything about the place (the province, not just montreal). hockey's a basic thread in the fabric of life there.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 09:39 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
which fans? i ask that honestly. if you're just referring to some of the jokers around here, then sure, i'd agree. i don't know much about the fans who attend games in montreal but i LOVE watching games from montreal. the energy up there is great. i actually like montreal's team, the culture up there (all the good and bad), centre bell, etc. the truth is that this is where the game began. maybe i have a soft spot for the province as a result of dating a girl up there and spending some time in the area (st. hyacinthe, for those who know the area) but if you're fan of the sport, it's hard to come away from a trip there hating anything about the place (the province, not just montreal). hockey's a basic thread in the fabric of life there.
I'm sure there's an amazing atmosphere while there, but I'm talking about the fans at the games in Florida around December. Remember when they continued being overly rude in front of Lola's kids, one of the posters here had beer poured on his head, Van Murph was given a hard time by those around him, and I believe there were worse incidents.

I realize that doesn't define the entire fanbase, but the 'riots' after their series win was ridiculous. I mean, it was the first series, not the Cup. Those type of things don't sit too well, and I can only imagine what it'll be like if they win the Cup again.

Just my personal feelings on it.

Old
04-28-2008, 11:51 PM
Clint

I can understand the hate for MTL fans, but to be fair, a year or two ago I got free tix to a Habs game when I was down on break and the Montreal native I sat next to was very polite, knowledgeable, and more than respectful. We talked almost non-stop all three periods and never once did the hostility get anywhere past some good-natured ribbing. I think we won that game that night, and he shook my hand afterwards and congratulated the Panthers on playing a good game.

But, of course, there are the rotten apples that ruin it for everyone else.

Old
04-29-2008, 12:04 AM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Every fan base has idiots. But the Habs' fanbase is so huge, there's just more idiots than just about any other fanbase. I'm with zeroG, I love the atmosphere in the Bell Centre and when they used to play in the Forum. Really, I think no other fanbase in hockey is more passionate about their team. When the Bell Centre is rocking, those people are absolutely nuts. Actually, hockey as the NHL knows it (indoor hockey) was actually invented in Montreal. I could never hate the Habs, their franchise is a large part of what has made this game and this league great.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 08:52 AM
Acadmus

This discussion of fanbases is going to have to end...it's been pretty civil overall, and I understand some people's resentments, but the last thing we need it the membership of the Montreal board noticing, misreading, and taking offense, and deciding to come over here hunting...there's a lot of them (let's just say mods had an impossible workload during the Montreal/Boston series between both teams' fanbases). So let's save discussing the habits of Montreal fans for the official Panthers board, please. I know most of you are members.

Old
04-29-2008, 09:57 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
This discussion of fanbases is going to have to end...it's been pretty civil overall, and I understand some people's resentments, but the last thing we need it the membership of the Montreal board noticing, misreading, and taking offense, and deciding to come over here hunting...there's a lot of them (let's just say mods had an impossible workload during the Montreal/Boston series between both teams' fanbases). So let's save discussing the habits of Montreal fans for the official Panthers board, please. I know most of you are members.
fair enough... race against nine?

how 'bout something we all can agree on - anyone else enjoying watching salei get lit up? wow. he's getting a ton of ice time but you still see the same awful decisions at the blue line. last game he pinched with 2 forwards going by him and totally whiffed on the guy with the puck. result? 3 on 1. only thing that was missing was the usual interference call.

Old
04-29-2008, 10:14 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
fair enough... race against nine?

how 'bout something we all can agree on - anyone else enjoying watching salei get lit up? wow. he's getting a ton of ice time but you still see the same awful decisions at the blue line. last game he pinched with 2 forwards going by him and totally whiffed on the guy with the puck. result? 3 on 1. only thing that was missing was the usual interference call.
It's definitely making me appreciate Skrastins a whole lot more. Salei's been able to light the lamp there a bit more, but he's still a defensive liability. Don't miss him, was glad he was traded, and that's not likely to change.

Old
04-29-2008, 10:25 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
It's definitely making me appreciate Skrastins a whole lot more. Salei's been able to light the lamp there a bit more, but he's still a defensive liability. Don't miss him, was glad he was traded, and that's not likely to change.
me too (obviously). he can put up some points, as he showed last year but his decision making on the blue line is very sketchy and he is vulnerable down low in his own end too. in fairness, he could probably be very effective with the right guys around him. i guess we shouldn't be too quick to judge (they're only down 0-2) but it seems clear to me he wasn't the missing link in colorado.

Old
04-29-2008, 10:42 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
me too (obviously). he can put up some points, as he showed last year but his decision making on the blue line is very sketchy and he is vulnerable down low in his own end too. in fairness, he could probably be very effective with the right guys around him. i guess we shouldn't be too quick to judge (they're only down 0-2) but it seems clear to me he wasn't the missing link in colorado.
No, he wasn't. Who's he paired with in Colorado? Perhaps with Foote he'd be more effective? I haven't paid much attention to his defensive partner.