HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

BUCCI - West preview - Jackets 14th in west

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-27-2007, 07:52 AM
  #1
forktie
Registered User
 
forktie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: the 'Bus
Posts: 1,110
vCash: 500
BUCCI - West preview - Jackets 14th in west

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/previe...ohn&id=3036832

I love reading Bucci's stuff, and I agree with about everything he said...

... but I just don't think the number 14 is accurate.

forktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 08:44 AM
  #2
cydawg
#DefendNWA
 
cydawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Gahanna, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by forktie View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/previe...ohn&id=3036832

I love reading Bucci's stuff, and I agree with about everything he said...

... but I just don't think the number 14 is accurate.
Yeah I thought it was a good breakdown of the team and their current situation. But 14 in the west? Nope. Bucci got that one wrong.

cydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 08:47 AM
  #3
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,263
vCash: 500
Why not 15th?

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 09:23 AM
  #4
DougKnowsBest
Registered User
 
DougKnowsBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Newark, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 6,368
vCash: 500
but doesnt he know we are going to have movement on the pp this year?

doesnt he know we have boll. freaking boll man. plus beach and novotny. thats worth, what, 1 more win?

DougKnowsBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 09:41 AM
  #5
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,355
vCash: 500
Nothing new or interesting in that article, about the Jackets. It's all been discussed here on these forums for the last 4 months, basically a copy/paste. And he took the same, easy, safe route pretty much every other publication has taken.

1. We won't make the playoffs.
2. We are rebuilding with a better plan Doug had.
3. We are waiting on the young guys.
4. We are basically playing this year to trade Feds and Foote at the trade dealine and get another high draft pick.

The only difference is whether the publication goes into any detail about Hitch's past record with teams from year one to year two.

You say anything else other then the Jackets finishing 13th or worse in the conference, your just asking to get ripped by the general population. Plus with the Jackets record, being in a smaller market, and not doing much in the offseason, there's no incentive for anyone to actually give more then 5 minutes thinking about or researching our team. Not that I think any additional reseach would have changed anything with the article. At this point, to the rest of the world, we don't really matter.

Thanks for the link, I'll read all of them even when I pretty much know what's going to be said.....

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 09:49 AM
  #6
Nordique
Registered User
 
Nordique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,023
vCash: 500
We have earned that 14th spot prediction, and as much as I don't like it, I can't argue with it. Its gonna take wins not message board banter to change this teams reputation. I'm confident Hitch can do it, but screaming it from the rooftops won't convince anyone.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 09:52 AM
  #7
gonz
Registered User
 
gonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 769
vCash: 500
Exactly, Nord. We don't prove anything. It's up to the players to make the columnists, naysayers and doom & gloom armchair experts feast heartily on their verbiage.

gonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 09:58 AM
  #8
hashmarks
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
The only difference is whether the publication goes into any detail about Hitch's past record with teams from year one to year two.
I think this is an important point that they 'experts' have failed to consider and it again, shows like you said, that they haven't spent any more time than 5 minutes looking over our FA acquisitions to make projection.

Quote:
You say anything else other then the Jackets finishing 13th or worse in the conference, your just asking to get ripped by the general population.
You would think one guy would go out on a limb and actually examine what is happening in Columbus these days, but most writers are lazy and don't really care so long as they get their articles done.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 10:21 AM
  #9
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by willien View Post
You would think one guy would go out on a limb and actually examine what is happening in Columbus these days, but most writers are lazy and don't really care so long as they get their articles done.
It does seem lazy - and there are few things I dislike more than lazy journalism - but in fairness, many writers did just what you suggest a season ago and were rewarded with a bowlful of crap soup. You may be familiar with some fans who've taken the same "show me" approach.

__________________
"Every game, every point is a necessity." -- Ty Conklin, January 2007
"I'll have a chance to compete for the post of first issue. This is the most important thing." -- Sergei Bobrovsky, June 2012
Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 10:26 AM
  #10
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,143
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougKnowsBest View Post
but doesnt he know we are going to have movement on the pp this year?

doesnt he know we have boll. freaking boll man. plus beach and novotny. thats worth, what, 1 more win?
I don't know about Boll but I'm still holding out for Novotny to surprise and Beech to be looked at closely....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 10:30 AM
  #11
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,143
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
The only difference is whether the publication goes into any detail about Hitch's past record with teams from year one to year two.
I reminded him of that, plus a few pointers on Russell and Methot.... 14th seems harsh. At this point in the practice season I'm thinking 10th.....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 10:40 AM
  #12
hashmarks
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
It does seem lazy - and there are few things I dislike more than lazy journalism - but in fairness, many writers did just what you suggest a season ago and were rewarded with a bowlful of crap soup. You may be familiar with some fans who've taken the same "show me" approach.
I get the whole 'show me' thing.--it is the deliberate slamming the fingers in the ears and denying or countering the reality of the positive changes that are taking place that is pure nonsense.

Thing is, do these people really think that Scott and Hitch are going to allow this team to flounder to 14th place in the conference? That is the part that is ridiculous to me. You can watch your team play and get a sense as to where they are going to be--if H/H think their team is a 14th place team, changes and adjustments will be made.

Hitch's teams just don't suck--they never have, and I can't understand why these guys can't look past the FA acquisitions and factor that in. Who cares anyway--it is going to be fun to hear them talk about this 'bluejackets team who has come out of nowhere'

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 10:41 AM
  #13
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I reminded him of that, plus a few pointers on Russell and Methot.... 14th seems harsh. At this point in the practice season I'm thinking 10th.....
It's clear with injuries and the previous coaching staff not getting everything from their players, we should get a little better. The question is whether you think Hitch's record after the AS break was an illusion or not. That and whether you think another year of experience for some of the younger guys will make any difference.

If you think that's Hitche's record after the AS break was not an illusion, then 81+ points would be very obtainable. That would fit you in better then 14th. St. Louis and Chicago didn't get so much better that we are overmatched, and there are teams that appear to have fallen a bit.

While I wouldn't expect anyone to say were going to finish 6th in the conference, some people coming in at 10th would be somewhat welcome and actually defendable.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 10:46 AM
  #14
DougKnowsBest
Registered User
 
DougKnowsBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Newark, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 6,368
vCash: 500
I'm sure a writer could spend three days looking at our off season and come to the same projection. which is, same old jackets.

what holy grail intangible am i missing? the media reports of how much better shape the players are in? Doug's gone? the cannon?

we desearve these predictions. crying fould that they didnt spend the time on us is pointless.

it is what it is

DougKnowsBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 10:49 AM
  #15
hashmarks
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougKnowsBest View Post
I'm sure a writer could spend three days looking at our off season and come to the same projection. which is, same old jackets.
Then they would surely be the idiots that I think most of them are.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 10:57 AM
  #16
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by willien View Post
I get the whole 'show me' thing.--it is the deliberate slamming the fingers in the ears and denying or countering the reality of the positive changes that are taking place that is pure nonsense.

Thing is, do these people really think that Scott and Hitch are going to allow this team to flounder to 14th place in the conference? That is the part that is ridiculous to me. You can watch your team play and get a sense as to where they are going to be--if H/H think their team is a 14th place team, changes and adjustments will be made.

Hitch's teams just don't suck--they never have, and I can't understand why these guys can't look past the FA acquisitions and factor that in. Who cares anyway--it is going to be fun to hear them talk about this 'bluejackets team who has come out of nowhere'
I don't disagree with you, but again in fairness, it's no one's plan to "allow" their team to "flounder to 14th place." The reality is that someone has to be in 14th place. Let's assume for a moment the Jackets will finish 11th and the Kings 14th. Do you really think it would be because Lombardi and Crawford "allowed the team to flounder"?

I will henceforth cease my unplanned defense of the preseason prediction of national journalists. And I join you in your desire to watch them eat crow.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 11:03 AM
  #17
Cambion
Registered User
 
Cambion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 486
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
We have earned that 14th spot prediction, and as much as I don't like it, I can't argue with it. Its gonna take wins not message board banter to change this teams reputation. I'm confident Hitch can do it, but screaming it from the rooftops won't convince anyone.
yes we had EARNED it... now lets disprove em

Cambion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 11:03 AM
  #18
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,143
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
It's clear with injuries and the previous coaching staff not getting everything from their players, we should get a little better. The question is whether you think Hitch's record after the AS break was an illusion or not. That and whether you think another year of experience for some of the younger guys will make any difference.

If you think that's Hitche's record after the AS break was not an illusion, then 81+ points would be very obtainable. That would fit you in better then 14th. St. Louis and Chicago didn't get so much better that we are overmatched, and there are teams that appear to have fallen a bit.

While I wouldn't expect anyone to say were going to finish 6th in the conference, some people coming in at 10th would be somewhat welcome and actually defendable.
I agree, if Hitchcock could muster close to .500 in Columbus last year, there is no doubt in my mind we will get at least 82 points this year. Adding some new players and a new approach to the game and these guys could reach 95 points imo....(barring major injuries to guys like Leclaire, Nash etc.)

I also mentioned to him he may have past CBJ history on his mind more than current observations and the potential of the team if several players surprise....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 11:09 AM
  #19
hashmarks
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
I don't disagree with you, but again in fairness, it's no one's plan to "allow" their team to "flounder to 14th place." The reality is that someone has to be in 14th place. Let's assume for a moment the Jackets will finish 11th and the Kings 14th. Do you really think it would be because Lombardi and Crawford "allowed the team to flounder"?
It comes down to a an ability to adjust.

Of course, injuries can cause a, pardon the pun, whole lot of hurt as to what happens to the team, but I will then reference Hitch's 388 man games lost to injury in philly and his 101 point season. No, I don't think that Lombardi and Crawford will willingly allow that to happen, but when you look at Hitch's coaching record--that schit doesn't happen by accident and equate to always having a stacked, healthy team.

Last year, for example--Duvie and Berard were out with long-term injuires so, instead of bringing someone in who could help the team, the former GM just went with AHL guys. He didn't bother to replace them--he ALLOWED the team to flounder as a result.

I don't know where the jackets will finish, and I don't really care that people pick them last or 14th or whatever. I have faith in the guys at the helm and am I looking forward to see how it translates on the ice.

When you hear comments coming from guys who have been around since the start like: 'it has never been this organized,' or 'it finally feels like the NHL', it is just ignorance IMO of course, to anticipate the some old same old, let alone a WORSE finish than we had this year.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 11:13 AM
  #20
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse
 
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 12,301
vCash: 500
I love Hitch.

That said, Hitch or no Hitch, this organization has absolutely positively earned the reputation it has.
This year is Hitch and Co.ís oppoturnity to change that.

Respect is earned, not given.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 11:14 AM
  #21
Nordique
Registered User
 
Nordique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
I love Hitch.

That said, Hitch or no Hitch, this organization has absolutely positively earned the reputation it has.
This year is Hitch and Co.’s oppoturnity to change that.

Respect is earned, not given.
well said

If I'm a sports writer, I don't take this team seriously until they post a winning season. I don't care if they've got a kid named Jesus H Kee-Riste coming up in the farm system, until they show they can become a winning organization, nothing else matters.

I think we're going to have an incredible season, but I don't expect anyone outside the fan base to agree with me on that.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 11:15 AM
  #22
hashmarks
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
I love Hitch.

That said, Hitch or no Hitch, this organization has absolutely positively earned the reputation it has.
This year is Hitch and Co.ís oppoturnity to change that.

Respect is earned, not given.
So then they are basing the projections on reputation now and not reality? Neat. I guess Hitch hasn't earned any respect as a coach then either, eh?

Like I said before---lazy.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 11:18 AM
  #23
Nordique
Registered User
 
Nordique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by willien View Post
Hitch's teams just don't suck--they never have, and I can't understand why these guys can't look past the FA acquisitions and factor that in. Who cares anyway--it is going to be fun to hear them talk about this 'bluejackets team who has come out of nowhere'

Philadelphia did(suck).

I think he's the right man for the job, but he's not infallable.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 11:19 AM
  #24
hashmarks
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post

I think we're going to have an incredible season
,
Why do you think that, Nordique? Surely you are basing that on more than homerism and hope, right? You are a smart guy and I am sure you actually see some tangible things that lead you to make that statement, right?

My point is that if anyone cares to examine the team, and investigate what has really changed besides the FA acquistions, they would tend to lean towards: 'wow--this team has been in the basement because of this, this, this, this, and now all those things have changed and IMPROVED, therefore, they could finish much higher than what I had originally thought.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 11:20 AM
  #25
hashmarks
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Philadelphia did(suck).

I think he's the right man for the job, but he's not infallable.
He had exactly 8 games with that team.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.