HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal has the best fans!!!!

Old
04-06-2008, 11:00 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
There is a reason why we don't care about baseball, basketball and soccer: it's not interesting. I played baseball for ten years (because as a pitcher it's great) and was a Expos fan (because), but watching a baseball game is simply painful....
i didnt say they werent painful.
i simply said going by TEAM sports, we are not a good sports town.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 11:09 PM
Laps40

vCash: 500
Soccer could be big if we join the MLS...CFL is boring, baseball sucks...basketball we don't give a **** about it....

HOCKEY IS IN OUR BLOOD and that is fine with me. I prefer to cheer for one team that I love from deep down my heart than to cheer for "shouldn't exist" teams like Nashville Predators or Florida Panthers....

Laps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 11:17 PM
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Vinceee
Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
please, don't open that old cliche. montreal has great sports fans. the expos were ***** and pillaged here...they drew well when there wasn't fire sales and would still be here if there hadn't been a strike in 94 and then loria stole the team.
amen

Vinceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 11:22 PM
Ra
satan is my homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosmaster View Post
My first ever game.

I live in Toronto and was only able to see a Leafs/Habs exhibition game when Hackett was still playing at the ACC.

Finally I bought tickets from ebay (S. 323, B 12-14) and I will not lie, I was all shaky and tiery eye from the moment the anthem start, to Kovy reception.

I still haven't got my voice back but my hearing is back to normal.

Went with three Leafs fans who said they've never heard anything this loud at the ACC before.

Thanks for all the Habs fans in Montreal for making my first game so memorable!!!
My last game was in the old Forum. Last night, I was in 318. (We almost Oakleys btw )

The game felt like 10 minutes. Time went by too fast! Thanks to the many Leafs fans who made experience much more pleasant

The sad part is, I'm now hooked. I need to see all the games live!!

Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 12:03 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
i didnt say they werent painful.
i simply said going by TEAM sports, we are not a good sports town.
You're absolutely right. I don't see why people are taking this comment so personally.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 02:53 AM
Physical HABuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
By "sports"... do you mean "US sports" like baseball and basketball..

Cuz boxing, auto-racing, canadian football, tennis, etc. are pretty huge here.

Just asking..
Don't forget the popularity of mixed martial arts in Montreal......the GSP fight will be crazy!

Physical HABuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 03:53 AM
Quagmier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KostitsyntheBagBaby View Post
You're absolutely right. I don't see why people are taking this comment so personally.
Because it needs a qualifier or 2.

We aren't that good a Team sports city for ALOT of reasons that aren't the fans fault. Everyone knows about the horror that is Olympic stadium, so baseball is an easy explanation. Look at what happened to the Alouettes when they moved to McGill. And even that is a horrible stadium for a pro sports team to be playing in.

Had the downtown stadium been built 10-15 years ago we probably would still have a baseball team and the Als would be one of the top draws in the CFL. Granted there are a bunch of other factors that sunk the Spos, but the main reason is that Montrealers knew we were getting screwed from the get-go (after the 94 team was dismantled)...if there's one thing that turns off montrealers from a team, its the belief that they're getting the shaft from them.

The Rocket were also an experiment that was done terribly, I think people should wait to see what happens with this new team in Verdun before they anoint Montreal a failure as a CHL market.

And for what its worth, Montreal is doing just fine as a soccer market. The Impact have led the league in attendance for 3 years running. Not to mention a potential MLS team coming.

Frankly, I see potential in the city for almost every sport save Basketball to flourish in the city as long as management doesn't screw the pooch. and like a previous poster mentioned, the 4 major NA sports are not the be all/end all of sports. Sure alot of sports that come to Montreal are "event" sports...but you can't discount the success of these events:

Whenever Tennis and Golf comes to Montreal they do amazingly well. Granted they are often shorter events, but that's the way it works.

Truth be told, outside of the few cities that actually have teams with history (Boston, New York, Chicago, LA, etc.) the success of sports franchises is entirely dependent on the skill and strategy of the management that brings a team there. A team that you view as successful one day is packing up and leaving town the next (ie Seattle)...sure Montreal has suffered through some pretty inept ownership, but I'm hesitant to label Montreal a bad sports town because of it.

Quagmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 04:07 AM
Mustafa*

Wow this thread makes me think about the good old days at eh Stade Olympique with our Expos...

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 07:06 AM
rudethedude66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
when it comes to having sports TEAMS we are a hockey town and thats it compared to the states.

baseball didnt work, basketball would never work, lacrosse didnt work, indoor soccer didnt work, roller hockey didnt work.

Events..noone can argue we are #1
Didnt work????? They(the Expos) worked for 30 years...They ended up having a bunch of ***holes for owners and killed the team with MLB ....If the plan went through as planned the team would thriving downtown still.

rudethedude66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 07:12 AM
BLONG7

Montreal is a HUGE hockey town...the fans of the team should be applauded for selling out for the past couple of seasons...the Bell Centre just rocks when the Habs are playing! Other teams players are starting to realize this, and will usually comment about the atmosphere...kudos to the organization for providing Habs fans an excellent venue to watch an NHL game live! The fans in the city are very passionate, and that's an understatement! Good luck to the Habs and their fans in the playoffs this year!!!

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 10:38 AM
Russeltown

Did you guys appreciate the crown our down-low Red section started (117?)

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 10:39 AM
MtlSportsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortlandRanger View Post
I guess you can take the easy route, but keep in mind Nashville and Atlanta don't have the climate naturally for hockey. That puts them at a way worse disadvantage with hockey than Montreal does with sports other than hockey. Hey, but if Montreal is content not being recognized any more as a major city in terms of sports (other than to hockey fans) then so be it.

It's a shame because Montreal is such a beautiful city has more population than many sports markets in North America.
Don't get me wrong, baseball CAN work here, it just needs to be done correctly whereas hockey will thrive even with fools in charge. You mentioned Nashville and Atlanta don;t have climates conducive for hockey, well that is partially what did the Expos in. Montrealers have a short summer and want to spend it outside, not in teh concrete toliet bowl the Expos played in. Given a new outdoor stadium and an owner like George Gillette and baseball would have succeeded. The Expos drew very well in the early 80's and any other time the team was competitive...

http://mtlexpos.tripod.com/attendance/index.htm

I'm not a paranoid person, but is was obviously a conspiricy led by Bud Selig that perpetuated the myth that baseball was scarcely attended and couldn't survive a "small" market like Montreal.

I remember going to a series at the big O their second to last season when they were tied for the wild card just before the all-star game. THere were 35k+ for every game. The next week I attended the Expos-Marlins series in Florida (the one were the Marlins swept all 4 games :-( ) and the announced attendance was 15k and I guarantee there was not more than 10k. I also rememeber it being a beautiful day, closing my eyes feeling the sun on my face, smelling the natural grass and hearing the crack of a wood bat. I thought "this would work in Montreal"....and it would have.

I miss the Expos now....

MtlSportsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Russeltown

I agree with you, MtlSportsFan.

Montreal can have a baseball franchise. The only problem would be its fragile profitability margins, due to currency fluctuations. Seattle has a very similar amount of population than Montreal and they can run MLB and NFL. I don't see why Montreal could not. Milwaukee has a freakin baseball franchise! This is a smaller market than Montreal! How about Kansas City? Minneapolis? Baltimore!

I know there are sufficient baseball fans in Montreal to allow sufficient crowds in Montreal. The location of the stadium was not perfect, but it was far from being bad. The problem was more the Stadium itself.

I miss the Expos too, I just can't wait to do a new baseball trip!!!!!!

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote