HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone else watching the Runners on SN?

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2004, 08:52 PM
Matts

vCash: 500
Anyone else watching the Runners on SN?

I've seen the first two periods and Rita's playing with Sarno and Henrich. He's had maybe one or two shots but has looked better on defense than on offense. Has hit a little more tonight as well

Salmo at this point is nearly a scoring chance per shift. He is flying out there and trying to carry the puck to the net and trying to take defensemen wide. His confidence is clearly sky high at this point. He's playing with Wright and Bishai and the latter has oddly enough been a non factor. I find guys who get sent back usually tear it up the first couple of games.

As for the defense, Lynch can get his shot on net and he has an uncanny knack for knowing when to jump into the play. He also does a good job of rubbing guys out along the boards and uses his big frame well. But he needs to work on his skating. Everything else looks good though and not everyone has to be Coffey to succeed but what I'd worry about is that a big part of his A game seems to be jumping into the play and he'll need a good centre to cover his back in the NHL if his speed doesn't improve. Woywitka is big and uses it but doesn't seem to have much offensive upside. Maybe he's still getting used to a new org. Bergeron made one terrible play but also deftly broke up an odd man rush. He's also made many fine passes and is firing away on the PP and scored the 3rd goal.

TO up 3-1 after 40 and went into tonight trailing SJ by three points for the last playoff spot and they have a GIH to boot.

I hope it's still close when TO comes back here on March 6-7.

Finally, Morrison constantly out of position in net. When it comes to netminding we are thinner than Lowe's hair.

Old
02-06-2004, 09:42 PM
oildrop

I watched it and was quite impressed with Salmo yet again. The guy flys all over the ice and gets some good chances too. If he had scored on that baseball type move(batted it out of the air and it hit the post) it would have been one of the goals of the year.

I wasn't impressed with Rita yet again. He just doesn't seem too interested out there. Specially on that one play where Henrich got into a mini fight. St.Johns were on a rush and Rita was coming back then Henrich came flying out of nowhere right past Rita to take a man in the defensive zone. Rita didn't back-check at all on that play. I think Bishai had a stronger game then Rita.

Old
02-06-2004, 09:48 PM
hockeyaddict101

If it wasnt' for Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
Finally, Morrison constantly out of position in net. When it comes to netminding we are thinner than Lowe's hair.
There is no way the Roadrunners get a sniff in this game especially in the third period.

Old
02-06-2004, 09:53 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildrop
I watched it and was quite impressed with Salmo yet again. The guy flys all over the ice and gets some good chances too. If he had scored on that baseball type move(batted it out of the air and it hit the post) it would have been one of the goals of the year.

I wasn't impressed with Rita yet again. He just doesn't seem too interested out there. Specially on that one play where Henrich got into a mini fight. St.Johns were on a rush and Rita was coming back then Henrich came flying out of nowhere right past Rita to take a man in the defensive zone. Rita didn't back-check at all on that play. I think Bishai had a stronger game then Rita.
If I was Rita, Id stop trying as well. Just wait untill the Oil release me, sign 1 Yr for 600,000$ with a southern US hockey team (Im sure Carolina could use someone like him) and start my real NHL career. I will cheer for him wherever he goes.

Old
02-06-2004, 09:56 PM
oildrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
If I was Rita, Id stop trying as well. Just wait untill the Oil release me, sign 1 Yr for 600,000$ with a southern US hockey team (Im sure Carolina could use someone like him) and start my real NHL career. I will cheer for him wherever he goes.
Rita sure wouldn't go far with that kind of attitude. If he wants to play in the NHL he should be trying as hard as he can every shift and he isn't doing that. He just doesn't seem to have the heart.

Old
02-06-2004, 10:00 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Rita sure wouldn't go far with that kind of attitude. If he wants to play in the NHL he should be trying as hard as he can every shift and he isn't doing that. He just doesn't seem to have the heart.
and do you notice how easy it was to knock him off the puck. It is so obvious that he is not ready for the NHL.

I have said it many times and I will say it again. If he seems disinterested and you can knock him over with a feather at the AHL level, why do so many on this board think he will have success at the NHL level?

Good evidence of what I have been saying for a month this evening!

Old
02-06-2004, 10:02 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
The Oiler's treatment of him has been embarrasing. Maybe if his name was Johnny Riton, things would have been different. Im not even going to pretend to disagree with you. You have your opinion, and I have mine. Personally, if I was in his position and had my chain jerked around like this by a good ol' boy like MacT, I would have been Much less reserved in my conduct and comments.

Old
02-06-2004, 10:05 PM
LawnDemon

not a bad game... watching third made me feel like i was watching the "big" oilers.

salmo should replace laraque or pisani... if he can learn to be a bit better positionally he could be an excellent checker/pk man with that speed. throw in the decent shot and he could be a 15 - 20 goal checker.

lynch looked solid and woywitka was rarely out of position.

i think i'm ready to give up on both bergy and rita. both looked dicouraged - like they were "too good" for the farm. trust me boys, the farm is the best it gets with that kind of attitude.

Old
02-06-2004, 10:09 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon
not a bad game... watching third made me feel like i was watching the "big" oilers.

salmo should replace laraque or pisani... if he can learn to be a bit better positionally he could be an excellent checker/pk man with that speed. throw in the decent shot and he could be a 15 - 20 goal checker.

lynch looked solid and woywitka was rarely out of position.

i think i'm ready to give up on both bergy and rita. both looked dicouraged - like they were "too good" for the farm. trust me boys, the farm is the best it gets with that kind of attitude.
Woywitka's plus/minus looks like hell, but positionally hes been solid, and he seems to be picking more than a few assists on the PP. Something this organization would kill for now

Old
02-06-2004, 10:10 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
The Oiler's treatment of him has been embarrasing. Maybe if his name was Johnny Riton, things would have been different. Im not even going to pretend to disagree with you. You have your opinion, and I have mine. Personally, if I was in his position and had my chain jerked around like this by a good ol' boy like MacT, I would have been Much less reserved in my conduct and comments.
Everybody is hanging this on MacT, but it is Geoff Ward who tells and Mac-T who is deserving of a shot.

Mac-T admitted that he hasn't seen Bishai play this and relied on Geoff's Wards report on his play.

MacT doesn't have time to coach both teams. I suppose Geoff Ward is also an idiot and Julien before him in not giving Rita a shot, and Lowe just wants to leave a guy that he is positive that can help the Oil in Toronto???

Or maybe they see him every night and see the disinterest on a nightly basis that I have seen EVERY time I have watched him this season.

Old
02-06-2004, 10:15 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Would you say the same thing about Bonsignore? He was an even higher pick and only managed to sneak into 20 games with the Oilers. What about Steve Kelly? Another high draft pick that didn't play much with the Oilers. Things change a lot from draft day to the regular season.. just because Rita was picked highly doesn't mean he should automatically have a spot in the lineup. I really want to see him up with the big club but he has to prove that he deserves a shot first. A lot of people don't realize that attitude is almost as big a factor in determining the quality of a player as skill is.. while Rita's stats have been good, they haven't been nearly as good as they could be. He can be a dominant player out there if he wants to be!Only time will tell if Rita turns into the next Bonsignore or manages to bear down and crack the lineup next season.. I personally think he signs on with the Oilers again and fits into a third line role.

Old
02-06-2004, 10:20 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Everybody is hanging this on MacT, but it is Geoff Ward who tells and Mac-T who is deserving of a shot.

Mac-T admitted that he hasn't seen Bishai play this and relied on Geoff's Wards report on his play.

MacT doesn't have time to coach both teams. I suppose Geoff Ward is also an idiot and Julien before him in not giving Rita a shot, and Lowe just wants to leave a guy that he is positive that can help the Oil in Toronto???

Or maybe they see him every night and see the disinterest on a nightly basis that I have seen EVERY time I have watched him this season.

A disinterested guy with talent and goal scoring ability. Why is it that when you ask Runner's (or last year Bulldogs) who get called up, or played some time down there, whos the guy down on the farm who impressed them the most. To a man they all say Rita. Coaches and hockey personnel are great skill evaluators, but more often than not ill take the other players word for it. You go to war with a guy, you learn to rely on their hockey ability, skill and strenght to help you. While the coach watches from the bench or while running drills. (Or the GM, watching from upstairs for some reason decides he doesnt like something about your game)

Anyways, I think Ill take my own damn advice and stay away from such "hot" topics as Horctavish, Salo, Rita or "MacT coach GOOD". Its pointless arguing.

Old
02-06-2004, 10:27 PM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Anyways, I think Ill take my own damn advice and stay away from such "hot" topics as Horctavish, Salo, Rita or "MacT coach GOOD". Its pointless arguing.
i'm with you... horctavish... beautiful!

Old
02-06-2004, 10:29 PM
Lowetide

Every thread is becoming a Rita thread, but I enjoy it because at least its not about Comrie.

It would be a lot easier to get po'ed about Rita staying on the farm if he was on his way to popping 35 or something. The last two Roadrunners games I've seen several forwards (Salmelainen, Cullen, Henrich) have more chances and better touch around the net.

He's been passed like a house on the side of the road.

Old
02-06-2004, 10:34 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Every thread is becoming a Rita thread, but I enjoy it because at least its not about Comrie.

It would be a lot easier to get po'ed about Rita staying on the farm if he was on his way to popping 35 or something. The last two Roadrunners games I've seen several forwards (Salmelainen, Cullen, Henrich) have more chances and better touch around the net.

He's been passed like a house on the side of the road.
Isn't a bad game expected after having to sit around hoping to play on the big club. He hasn't played in a bit now, so he's probably just a little off his game tonight.

Old
02-06-2004, 10:38 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
I can try.... Since "The Trade"

On the Cup Favorite Philly Mike is : 21 4 5 9
On a bad AHL team , Woywitka is : 25 2 11 13

Old
02-06-2004, 10:40 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:

Uh, Rita has been sent up 3 times now and by both guys, where do you get your info from?

I'm not about to say that Ward or Julien are idiots, I haven't seen enough of their work. For all I know they could be brilliant.

MacT, on the other hand, is an idiot. I have no problem justifying that comment.

Old
02-06-2004, 10:41 PM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Mike is : 21 4 5 9

i just wanted to see that again in a bigger font... it makes me so happy.

Old
02-06-2004, 10:46 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon
Mike is : 21 4 5 9

i just wanted to see that again in a bigger font... it makes me so happy.
Its what happens when a 2nd/3rd line center actually gets 2nd/3rd line center minutes. Martin St.Louis is what alot of the NHL thought Comrie was. Its funny to see the way things are going now. I watch alot of the Philly games, and even though he gets skilled wingers, he seems not ready for plays, and when something all of a sudden develops, he almost looks startled. I still love those "snap shots" from the Far far right corner he tries to pull off, (Way to get your shots on net, Mike )

Old
02-06-2004, 11:09 PM
Matts

The only thing that really can't be argued is that right now Salmo is playign way better than Rita. But it doesn't bother me that jani might be sulking because I saw the same thing from Lacouture, Chimera and Semenov when all those guys came to town cold off the heels of what they thought were unfair demotions

Old
02-06-2004, 11:39 PM
hockeyaddict101

[QUOTE=windowlicker]A disinterested guy with talent and goal scoring ability. Why is it that when you ask Runner's (or last year Bulldogs) who get called up, or played some time down there, whos the guy down on the farm who impressed them the most. To a man they all say Rita. Coaches and hockey personnel are great skill evaluators, but more often than not ill take the other players word for it. You go to war with a guy, you learn to rely on their hockey ability, skill and strenght to help you. While the coach watches from the bench or while running drills. (Or the GM, watching from upstairs for some reason decides he doesnt like something about your game)

Your right it is pointless arguing Claude Julien must be an idiot, So must Geoff Ward because they have both held back Rita's career. Of COURSE Rita's heartless and disinterested play has NOTHING to do with the decision.

Kevin Lowe just has it in for Jani Rita. Poor Jani, who hasn't learned that to get a true shot at the NHL you need to play good every night and not float. Yes give Jani a shot not because he deserves it but because he was picked 13th overall. What a joke!!. Yep pointless to argue.

All the coaches in the Oilers organization are all idiots because they are single handidly forcing Rita to play like he just doesn't care!!

OH yes I have forgot, he has nothing to play for in the AHL?? Except millions of dollars of contract money. I know that wouldn't motivate me, not at all. (sarcasm intended). I worked my but off to get a 4% bonus last year!!

Last edited by hockeyaddict101: 02-06-2004 at 11:49 PM.
Old
02-06-2004, 11:50 PM
windowlicker

[QUOTE=spaz44]
Quote:
A disinterested guy with talent and goal scoring ability. Why is it that when you ask Runner's (or last year Bulldogs) who get called up, or played some time down there, whos the guy down on the farm who impressed them the most. To a man they all say Rita. Coaches and hockey personnel are great skill evaluators, but more often than not ill take the other players word for it. You go to war with a guy, you learn to rely on their hockey ability, skill and strenght to help you. While the coach watches from the bench or while running drills. (Or the GM, watching from upstairs for some reason decides he doesnt like something about your game)

Your right it is pointless arguing Claude Julien must be an idiot, So must Geoff Ward because they are holding back Rita's career. Of COURSE Rita's heartless and disinterested play has NOTHING to do with the decision.

Kevin Lowe just has it in for Jani Rita. Poor Jani, who hasn't learned that to get a true shot at the NHL you need to play good every night and not float. Yes give Jani a shot not because he deserves it but because he was picked 13th overall. What a joke!!. Yep pointless to argue.

All the coaches in the Oilers organization are all idiots because they are single handidly forcing Rita to play like he just doesn't care!!

OH yes I have forgot, he has nothing to play for in the AHL?? Except millions of dollars of contract money. I know that wouldn't motivate me, not at all. (sarcasm intended). I worked my but off to get a 4% bonus last year!!
I like how you totally ommited the part about All the players who are called up raving about Jani's talent. But hey, everyone has their opinion, and ways of looking at things, and severe disagreements on how things are getting "managed" or "coached" in Edmonton. But lIke I said before, Im sick to death of words like "Rita", Salo","MacT","Horcoff", and "Powerplay". Almost as much as "Comrie", back in the day.

Old
02-06-2004, 11:55 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
I like how you totally ommited the part about All the players who are called up raving about Jani's talent. But hey, everyone has their opinion, and ways of looking at things, and severe disagreements on how things are getting "managed" or "coached" in Edmonton. But lIke I said before, Im sick to death of words like "Rita", Salo","MacT","Horcoff", and "Powerplay". Almost as much as "Comrie", back in the day.
Did you even watch tonights game?, did you watch him turn away from the corners, get knocked off the puck with a small push? It was actually pitiful to watch, and this is the AHL. What is he going to do when the competition is about 10 times better in the NHL?

There is no doubt he is talented, he just doesn't want it bad enough and that is extremely obvious.

There are a lot of talented players that NEVER make the NHL, because of bad work ethic, lack of character, lack of desire.

On the other hand there are lots of NHL players that have long careers that don't have half the talent that Jani Rita but have those other three qualities in spades. Kelly Buchburger springs to mind, I never saw him take a shift off.

It would be interesting for Guy to ask who has the best character on the team and the best work ethic, I am willing to bet a lot of money that Jani Rita doesn't make that list.

Last edited by hockeyaddict101: 02-06-2004 at 11:59 PM.
Old
02-07-2004, 12:02 AM
Cerebral

Quote:

On a bad AHL team , Woywitka is : 25 2 11 13
I'm really encouraged by Woywitka's stats thus far in the AHL.. while his +/- isn't great, he's playing for a fairly weak Roadrunner team and still putting up good numbers. Is it the general concensus that he'll make the big team next year?

Old
02-07-2004, 12:05 AM
windowlicker

Quote:
Did you even watch tonights game?, did you watch him turn away from the corners, get knocked off the puck with a small push? It was actually pitiful to watch, and this is the AHL. What is he going to do when the competition is about 10 times better in the NHL?

There is no doubt he is talented, he just doesn't want it bad enough and that is extremely obvious.

There are a lot of talented players that NEVER make the NHL, because of bad work ethic, lack of character, lack of desire.
But you know what....thats the thing. Lets see what he does when a Pronger comes lunging at him in a corner, lets see what happens when Gauthier tries to separate his knees from the rest of him, when young NHL play hungry players are fighting with him for the puck in the corner. We dont know. What happens in the AHL means squat when it comes to some players. Semenov was inconsistent in the AHL. Torres hit people, not the backs of nets, Conks was average with the Bulldogs.

All I know is, in a limited time up here last year, Rita scored some nice goals (including that in close deke for his first vs. Joseph). 12 games. Thats all. Hes a top prospect in this organization. Give him 20 games. Sink or swim. Your an adult now, show us you belong in the show. Not "Well, hes not trying down on the farm......Hes still getting the points,, mind you, hes just not "Working" for them.... so we fell he doesnt deserve a call.. cause you see... you need to WANT it.. you need to FEEL it..... you cant just SCORE a goal, you have to WANT TO KILL the goalie with your shot. And after you score, you do 40 push-ups and say "YES SIR,SIR"

Closed Thread