HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

''Habs are a soft team'' -Bruins Fans

Old
04-07-2008, 08:08 AM
CrazyShea

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Hahaha i knew the bruins had a secret crush on us

CrazyShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 08:37 AM
Joe Malone

Calling us soft is wishful thinking by Bruins' fans. Skill-wise, they simply don't match up, so they hope to beat us in the alley. If you've been over to their board, they have threads about brawls and targetting Habs' players for injury. For many Bruin fans (not all) winning seems secondary to their thirst for blood.

No, the Habs are not Chris Neil tough; George Parros, George Laraque or Danny Carcillo tough.....but there's other forms of toughness: finishing your checks, driving along the boards after you've taken a hit, hammering forwards as they enter your zone, battling in the corners and in front of the net, second-effort, playing hurt, and mental toughness. You know, the kind of toughness that got the Habs where they are right now....

The Bruins are the only team in the playoffs that have allowed more goals than they've scored. (212 - 222). Perhaps if they were a bit tougher, they could have stayed in the opposing team's end long enough to score a few more goals.

Happy Monday morning Hab fans!!!!!

Last edited by Joe Malone: 04-07-2008 at 09:04 AM.
Joe Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 08:40 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalery View Post
5-on-5 goals:

1. OTT 164
2. COL 162
3. BUF 162
4. CAR 159
5. NSH 152
6. TOR 152
7. WSH 149
8. DET 149
9. MTL 148
23. BOS 128

and I'm sure we would be even higher than that if our power play wasn't so proficient (for example when we build leads from our pp, we don't necessarily attack as hard (we're #1 in 5-on-4 goals btw))

http://www.nhl.com/nhlstats/app?fetc...wName=goalsFor
Thanks for the info...one thing that happens, if you only see a team 5-6 times a year when they play your team, you make generalizations about that team, without seeing them over the whole season vs the whole league, and for some reason, the B's fans think the Habs are soft, and can only score on the PP. Now, stats show otherwise, along with watching the team all year long, and not just certain games, vs certain teams...Now, Hab fans all wonder, how in the hell did Tim Thomas have a good season, because when he faces the Habs, he seems to always let a couple in he shouldn't have...but B's fans know that he has had a good season, and is a quality goalie...so, the bottom line is the games still have to be played...so let's bring on Thursday...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 08:46 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky View Post
The official excuse for this stats is that the Bell Center statisticians gives more hit than in the other arena. You guys should know that.
Well, it's true but I think we're still first in the league (or top 5) if we correct it...

Anyway, just pitty these poor fans who has to face, yet again, their demons...

How would we feel if we were facing the Leafs and were almost assured to lose?

Btw, I really hope the Bruins will try to goon it out in the series... it'll be an easier win... every team who try to "out-tough" the habs got burned big time!

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 08:52 AM
JaymzB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky View Post
The official excuse for this stats is that the Bell Center statisticians gives more hit than in the other arena. You guys should know that.
If one takes an adjusted # for the hits, you get the following:

Num Team Hits Adj. Hits
1 Anaheim 1529 1628
2 New Jersey 1400 1624
3 Calgary 1557 1603
4 Montreal 1888 1573
5 Boston 1502 1569

From this site:

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/200708/teamhits.php

The Habs still come out ahead in the hits department, but no doubt their #’s are inflated by the stats man in the Bell Centre.

JaymzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Sure. So be it. Why should we care? I will care only if it will be proven that a talented team can't win on talent alone but needs tons of grit to be a good playoff team. Then I'll care. Until then, is winning the only goal here. Or destroying your opponent is the main one...

Maybe that's why Bruins can't win after all.....they should get their priorities straight....but then you see threads on their board like "Who Lucic should go after" "Should we play Reich", "the Begin factor", "Chances of a 1st round brawl" and then you understand..

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 08:57 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaymzB View Post
If one takes an adjusted # for the hits, you get the following:

Num Team Hits Adj. Hits
1 Anaheim 1529 1628
2 New Jersey 1400 1624
3 Calgary 1557 1603
4 Montreal 1888 1573
5 Boston 1502 1569

From this site:

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/200708/teamhits.php

The Habs still come out ahead in the hits department, but no doubt their #’s are inflated by the stats man in the Bell Centre.
The problem with him is that he doesn't show his methodology... although it seems alright, it might still be biased.. the only way to know is by showing how you do it... which he doesn't.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 08:58 AM
Joe Cole

Cool.

Bring it on.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 09:01 AM
PKtrollban
PK for Norris

I'm pretty sure that's not what Julien is telling his players... Be cause HE obviously know they they got their ***** served on a plate to themselves all season against the Habs. What the fans think is not important, anyway, they will always say that the refs were biased, that the puck wasn't rolling for them, that they were unlucky, they will never recognize that we have a great balanced team this year and that we have talented and solid players (not goons). Anyway, what us Habs fans think about their pathetic offense and their VERY slow defense ?

EDIT : I had to add that they also have questionable goaltending. I have absolutely no problem at all with Thomas as their starter...

PKtrollban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 09:10 AM
Lone Rogue

Smart Bruin fans don't underestimate us.

The dumb ones have been doing it all year, and thats why they have the very same answers for every time we play them.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 09:11 AM
BLNY

Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
Our soft teams beat them in 2002 and 2004. This team isn't as soft as either of those.

BLNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 09:13 AM
PKtrollban
PK for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNY View Post
Our soft teams beat them in 2002 and 2004. This team isn't as soft as either of those.
That's just sooooo true...

PKtrollban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 09:14 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNY View Post
They are just unable to distinguish goonery, grit and softy. We don't have goons, we may lack the extra grit but there's a loooong way to go before being called soft.

But they're unable to do that. Let them think what they want. Josh Gorges isn't a goon, he's not the grittiest guy, but he'll never back down from anyone. How's that soft?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 09:14 AM
Drive425

I have one Ruins fan telling me "The Habs are mediocre at best cause the East is weak". Another saying "We have no team toughness and the Ruins will own us physically". Then another saying "We are cheap shot punks for what Begin did to Savard, so the Ruins should go after Kovalev and Markov to blow their knees out"

Wow, talk about some loose cannons over there.

Ruins will be pwn'd!

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 09:19 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

If they don't consider Koivu tough with all he came back from, I don't think they know what tough is.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 09:20 AM
nORRis8*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I think people here have a hard time trying to define what "soft' exactly means.
Ha!. Thats what I was thinking dude. I think some Bruin fans were talking about when it comes to toughness. If so, they just haven't watched the Habs play enough to even suggest that.

I dig Komisarek. Good tough d-man. Loved it when he'd go out of his way to line Tucker up.

nORRis8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 09:24 AM
Le depisteur

Yes, we have a soft team who has a 15-1 record this year against Boston, Philadelphia and New Jersey...

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 09:29 AM
Fozz

Seriously, who cares what Boston fans have to say?

In reality, they're all soiling their pants at the though of facing the Habs. They know all too well that this is the worst possible match-up for them and that their team can't keep up with Les Canadiens. If the Bruins win a single game, it will be a moral victory for them all.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 09:30 AM
Bill McNeal

Pfft.

We just need to send Begin out to break some more backs.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
Pfft.

We just need to send Begin out to break some more backs.
errr... no.
We just need to skate and things will be just fine.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 09:35 AM
Guy Caballero

Let Bruins fans do all the talking. Talk is pretty much all they've got. I'm glad they're building themselves back up. It wouldn't be as much fun beating them if they were convinced they had no chance.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 09:49 AM
habs24

I think when the Bruin's fans refer to the Habs as soft they are talking about fighting-wise. They are correct. We have no one that is a top notch fighter. Cube is the best of the lot and by no means a top guy. I don't think the Habs are soft. Like others have have said, we can finish our checks and do not back down from the more physical side of the game. Where I start to worry is when it becomes a physical series against a more talented team.

Also, to the guy who said this "I mean we got Komisarek, Kostopoulos, Bouillon, Bégin and O'Byrn that can put up a fight with anyone, and hit hard during the game, we got Lats (that can put a couple of quick punchs one time every 82 games), Lapierre (can fight but will loose), S. Kostityn (can also fight), Georges (can also fight),"

Please change this. None of the above can fight very well. They may try but 99% of the time they will lose. I can't believe you said S Kostitisyn can fight, Gorges too.

habs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 09:56 AM
Licou

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs24 View Post
I think when the Bruin's fans refer to the Habs as soft they are talking about fighting-wise. They are correct. We have no one that is a top notch fighter. Cube is the best of the lot and by no means a top guy. I don't think the Habs are soft. Like others have have said, we can finish our checks and do not back down from the more physical side of the game. Where I start to worry is when it becomes a physical series against a more talented team.

Also, to the guy who said this "I mean we got Komisarek, Kostopoulos, Bouillon, Bégin and O'Byrn that can put up a fight with anyone, and hit hard during the game, we got Lats (that can put a couple of quick punchs one time every 82 games), Lapierre (can fight but will loose), S. Kostityn (can also fight), Georges (can also fight),"

Please change this. None of the above can fight very well. They may try but 99% of the time they will lose. I can't believe you said S Kostitisyn can fight, Gorges too.
If Latendresse knew how to actually fight, he could easily be fitted in one of the best fighter in the league; the guy is strong as a bull...

Licou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 09:58 AM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

I lol'ed.

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 10:17 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chfan View Post
Do they have anything else to say? =P
Yes.

"Bruins are a good team" - Bruins fans.

Ergo, I'm not sure we should really pay attention to anything they say cause it all seems like a bunch of idiocy.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote