HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Get ready for Bob Cole

Old
04-08-2008, 07:55 AM
mcphee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty View Post
Bob Cole is indeed a Habs fan and if some small minded people cannot accept this then that is their problem. I'd say Bob is going to be pumped for this series and I can't wait.

By the way, what annoucer could possibly make the majority of Leafs games sound exciting?

You might just have a point there. I guess the comments are fair regarding Cole being the voice they grew up with. It's easy for my generation to be snotty when they hear this, because I don't think a voive in hockey has evrer been close to Danny Gallivan. The hair on my neck stands up when I hear his voice, he's such a powerful reminder for me.

I don't have a real comfort level with many of the English announcers anymore. They don't ruin the game for me, but few add to it. Gord Miller, imo, is excellent, he combines solid knowledge with some personality. Hughson's good, but really, Pierre Houde's voice sounds like hockey to me.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 07:59 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
[/B]
You might just have a point there. I guess the comments are fair regarding Cole being the voice they grew up with. It's easy for my generation to be snotty when they hear this, because I don't think a voive in hockey has evrer been close to Danny Gallivan. The hair on my neck stands up when I hear his voice, he's such a powerful reminder for me.

I don't have a real comfort level with many of the English announcers anymore. They don't ruin the game for me, but few add to it. Gord Miller, imo, is excellent, he combines solid knowledge with some personality. Hughson's good, but really, Pierre Houde's voice sounds like hockey to me.
You old people, so set in your ways! =)

Seriously though, Cole is fine. He's seems a bit of a homer for the Leafs sometimes, but you would be too if you were paid to call some absurd number of their games a year for several decades.

The only flaw with him is when he is bias sounding in all-Canadian matchups. I don't care when he does it vs. American teams or regional feeds. It's Hockey Night in Canada afterall.

He'll be a fine, classic call for the first round. I'd prefer Hughson, but I won't complain about Cole. Millen, I could take or leave, but anyone who whines too loud should just remember this is a network that Glen Healey used to work for. =)

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 08:00 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Kautsitsin View Post
It was Don Wittman(RIP)who called both Habs/Bruins series in 2002 and 2004 IIRC.
I thought Wittman did a great job in that series...I'll miss him.

Capitano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 08:05 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
You old people, so set in your ways! =)

Seriously though, Cole is fine. He's seems a bit of a homer for the Leafs sometimes, but you would be too if you were paid to call some absurd number of their games a year for several decades.

The only flaw with him is when he is bias sounding in all-Canadian matchups. I don't care when he does it vs. American teams or regional feeds. It's Hockey Night in Canada afterall.

He'll be a fine, classic call for the first round. I'd prefer Hughson, but I won't complain about Cole. Millen, I could take or leave, but anyone who whines too loud should just remember this is a network that Glen Healey used to work for. =)
I liked Dick Irvin, good guy, walking hockey encyclopedia, fine play by play man, but non Hab fans would call him a homer on HNIC. I guess it's the same thing with Cole. He sees the game with thru the Leafs perspective.

As the market changes and HNIC becomes a series of national broadcasts rather than a group of regional ones, things change. I'm a big NY Ginats fan, and you get a series of announcers who do most of their games, but the FOX crew doesn't sound like a local NY team.

I would expect a HNIC guy to know more about A.Kost. than Robbie Earl, but that doesn't seem to be the case. So, it bothers Hab fans, and I find I'd rather hear the hometown guys do the game. So, I'm not sure if I want unbiased announcers or biased ones, as long as my team gets the biase.

Old
04-08-2008, 08:31 AM
Dynasty

Quote:
[/B]

Danny Gallivan was without a doubt the best announcer that NHL hockey has ever had and by and large pretty objective...I expect decent play-by-play by Cole for this series...you should check it out, you may just surprise yourself, that is if you approach it with an open mind.

Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 08:35 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty View Post
Danny Gallivan was without a doubt the best announcer that NHL hockey has ever had and by and large pretty objective...I expect decent play-by-play by Cole for this series...you should check it out, you may just surprise yourself, that is if you approach it with an open mind.
Honestly, don't tell anyone but it's superstition. All year, the Habs do better when I have it on RDS than CBC. TSN"s ok, but the Habs never score when I flip to CBC.

So, there you have it, systems, talent, intensity, it means nothing. It all comes down to watching on RDS and my wife not walking by the screen late in a game unless I counteract it with the PVR pause button.

I know, sad.

Old
04-08-2008, 08:37 AM
Dynasty

Quote:
Honestly, don't tell anyone but it's superstition. All year, the Habs do better when I have it on RDS than CBC. TSN"s ok, but the Habs never score when I flip to CBC.

So, there you have it, systems, talent, intensity, it means nothing. It all comes down to watching on RDS and my wife not walking by the screen late in a game unless I counteract it with the PVR pause button.

I know, sad.

Oh well. there's still hope I guess.

Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 09:18 AM
Lucius

Quote:
I liked Dick Irvin, good guy, walking hockey encyclopedia, fine play by play man, but non Hab fans would call him a homer on HNIC. I guess it's the same thing with Cole. He sees the game with thru the Leafs perspective.

As the market changes and HNIC becomes a series of national broadcasts rather than a group of regional ones, things change. I'm a big NY Ginats fan, and you get a series of announcers who do most of their games, but the FOX crew doesn't sound like a local NY team.

I would expect a HNIC guy to know more about A.Kost. than Robbie Earl, but that doesn't seem to be the case. So, it bothers Hab fans, and I find I'd rather hear the hometown guys do the game. So, I'm not sure if I want unbiased announcers or biased ones, as long as my team gets the biase.
I'll give you that. Irvin is only at the edge of my hockey memory, but I remember good things and love it when I see old calls by him.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Cole is still the best announcer CBC has whatever his faults or leanings. I tried watching the Habs games on CBC this season and whomever the guy that was calling the games was it was sleep-inducing. At least with Cole you get the top guy on CBC, the guy with the best voice. He called classic Bruins-Habs before and it was great.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 04:15 PM
AD

Quote:

I know, sad.
Tell your wife that if she walks across the screen during games, hundreds, even thousands of maniacial 18 to 25 year olds from the internet will come to your house bransishing pitchforks and torches.

I'm serious.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Cole is still the best announcer CBC has whatever his faults or leanings. I tried watching the Habs games on CBC this season and whomever the guy that was calling the games was it was sleep-inducing. At least with Cole you get the top guy on CBC, the guy with the best voice. He called classic Bruins-Habs before and it was great.
jim Hughson has passed bob Cole, big time!!

you probably heard Mark Lee who makes me wanna kill myself!

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 04:20 PM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post

Sean Brown also occasionally calls games on CBC,though he's doing more Sens broadcasts on Sportsnet.

Poor Flames fans, they're stuck with Lee....CBC shows no respect for its Western/Alberta Viewers.

Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 04:26 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
jim Hughson has passed bob Cole, big time!!

That was probably Mark Lee. oy That guy sucks

I like Hughson but his voice sort of stay in the same high-pitched tone and it gets tiring after a while(then again maybe it was because those western games have always been too late for me to keep watching lol).

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 07:50 PM
nORRis8*

Cole was good 15-20 years ago. Becoming a leaf-shill has melted his brain a bit.
Thankfully no Harry Neale. Another clued out old fart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
That was probably Mark Lee. oy That guy sucks

I like Hughson but his voice sort of stay in the same high-pitched tone and it gets tiring after a while(then again maybe it was because those western games have always been too late for me to keep watching lol).
Mark Lee I think is the guy that handles Curling on CBC since Don Wittman passed away.
The guy doesn't talk. He actually has to be coerced into saying something by the other two. Useless.

If you can't do curling, don't go near a hockey rink.

Danny Gallivan was the best, bar none. Some might call him a homer but thats fine. I'm a Bruins fan and enjoyed him being very professional and the flow of his voice. Dan Kelly a close 2nd.

Remember Danny Gallivan always saying "everybody up for the faceoff." Not sure what the heck that meant, but it was one of his signature phrases.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 04-08-2008 at 08:36 PM.
nORRis8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 07:59 PM
Sportacus
:)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
If we feel like **** for about getting Bob Cole as an announcer how do you think Bob feels not calling his beloved Leafs?
Surely you're aware that Cole is a Hab Fan...?

04-08-2008, 08:00 PM
Mathieu21

Send a message via MSN to Mathieu21
He's the guy who called the 1993 Stanley Cup. Which is great.

Mathieu21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportacus View Post
Surely you're aware that Cole is a Hab Fan...?
That's what I heard too and I believe it to be honest. Last game against the Leafs the guy certainly sounded like he was pretty darn excited about the Canadiens.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 08:15 PM
ed ible*

I have heard him in 93 and I have heard him every sat night To vs Mon..........He is a habs fan I can tell...............GO BOB GO!

ed ible* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 08:35 PM
Habber09

By the way, what annoucer could possibly make the majority of Leafs games sound exciting?[/QUOTE]

That's a good point, I didn't think of it that way.....The place will be rockin' cuz it's hockey tonight!!

Habber09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 11:51 AM
HABitual

television playoff schedule

Will RDS, or another channel, be broadcasting all Habs games throughout the playoffs?

HABitual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 11:53 AM
roy_133*

Send a message via MSN to roy_133*
Every game played by a Canadian team will be on CBC for sure. Also, yes RDS will have every Canadiens game.

roy_133* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 11:54 AM
CrazyShea

Cbc/rds

CrazyShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Thibaj

RDS and CBC will show all Habs games.

Thibaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 11:57 AM
HABitual

Thanks GO HABS!

HABitual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 02:04 PM
Inmate4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach

Bob Cole's stirring call, 27 seconds long:

"They were not supposed to be one of the favourites.... to make the Stanley Cup final this year....these Canadiens....but Ronald Corey got Serge Savard....he hired Jacques Demers....and all together they worked a young team to the top....and now....a 24th Stanley Cup banner will hang....from the rafters of the famous Forum in Montreal ..............the Canadiens win the Stanley Cup!!!"

Bob Cole earned a place in my heart forever with that call. You could tell he was excited for the team, and oh so respectful of the Habs tradition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
I just got goosebumps reading that, forget listening to it.
Me too.

I don't mind Bob. Just thank the stars that:

a) Harry's gone. Much as I hate Millen, I don't miss the "shot from 23 1/2 feet..." Now THAT was a Leaf fan.
b) It ain't Mark Lee.

I like Hughson. I think I read he's moving East next year. Poor *******...about to be condemned to a life of Leafs play-by-play, but he'll survive by moving to Montreal to do play-by-play for 2 months in the spring...

Inmate4 is offline   Reply With Quote