HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

NHL attendance record - the Cap will rise again

Old
04-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

vCash: 500
NHL attendance record - the Cap will rise again

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=...ticleid=359473

Yet again, the NHL has set a new league record for attendance this season. It seems that the league's strategy of offering more parity with the point system is paying off as many clubs have had full capacity crowds in the last two weeks before the end of the season, marking an interest from fans to see if their teams will make or break. Imagine if this league had good revenues from TV contracts. The cap would already be at 60-70 mil per team.

About three months ago, I theorized the cap would go up to 57,50 million $ for the 08-09 season. At the time, the league had made an early provision of 55,50 for the same season, but I was still adamant about my own prediction because ever since the cap has been instaured, the cap has usually rose 2 millions above the mid-season provisions. One or two weeks ago, the NHL made new provisions for the cap, now at 56,30. If the playoffs show the same rise in attendance, I think the true cap number won't be very far from my own estimate.

This bodes well for the Habs. If they can manage to advance at least up to the second round, they will have enough revenues to spend close to the cap for next season, not meaning they will go up to the cap, but that they will be able to keep all current players (sign the RFAs and some UFAs to long-term contracts) and upgrade one or two spots left open by the departure of players such as Ryder (maybe), Breezer and Smolinski.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 11:08 AM
lou4gehrig

Gillett will profit something like $280M from his sale of Liverpool sometime soon, so I don't think money will be an issue for him.

All this means too is it's going to cost us more to keep our free agents since every other team will also have alot more free cash.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 11:09 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=359473

Yet again, the NHL has set a new league record for attendance this season. It seems that the league's strategy of offering more parity with the point system is paying off as many clubs have had full capacity crowds in the last two weeks before the end of the season, marking an interest from fans to see if their teams will make or break. Imagine if this league had good revenues from TV contracts. The cap would already be at 60-70 mil per team.

About three months ago, I theorized the cap would go up to 57,50 million $ for the 08-09 season. At the time, the league had made an early provision of 55,50 for the same season, but I was still adamant about my own prediction because ever since the cap has been instaured, the cap has usually rose 2 millions above the mid-season provisions. One or two weeks ago, the NHL made new provisions for the cap, now at 56,30. If the playoffs show the same rise in attendance, I think the true cap number won't be very far from my own estimate.

This bodes well for the Habs. If they can manage to advance at least up to the second round, they will have enough revenues to spend close to the cap for next season, not meaning they will go up to the cap, but that they will be able to keep all current players (sign the RFAs and some UFAs to long-term contracts) and upgrade one or two spots left open by the departure of players such as Ryder (maybe), Breezer and Smolinski.
Interesting... I hope you're right cause that would allow for teams like us to stay ontop. I don't like how certain teams like carolina go on to win a cup, and then have to gut the team the following season for picks and to rebuild from scratch. I prefer if a team can build on their success, they shouldn't have to deal with the likes of Toronto and LA Kings competing with them somewhere down the line when those teams did nothing to deserve being competitors. The teams that have smart management should be the ones that do well, and the way this cap system works is starting to make it look like that will be the case. In the past, teams like TO/LA could just buy players the following season and ice a playoff team, now with exceptions like Philly, this isn't as easy. Furthermore teams like LA used to be able to ice a contender the following season, now they will have to stick to smart management and good scouting for their success.

Build from within in other words. Habs have done a grade A job of doing so, along with a few other teams in the NHL who are among the top competitors.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
Gillett will profit something like $280M from his sale of Liverpool sometime soon, so I don't think money will be an issue for him.

All this means too is it's going to cost us more to keep our free agents since every other team will also have alot more free cash.
Do you realize teams can sign their pending UFAs BEFORE July 1st (eg Markov, Huet), nullifying any bidding for the players in question? Gainey seems keen on signing players after the season, but before they reach free agency, and if the player intends to get a bidding war and refuses to sign before July 1st, this says a lot about the player and Gainey would let him go instead (eg Souray, as Gainey didn't bid more than previously).

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 11:17 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Hossa

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Hossa
Please no.

All this means is the most attractive hockey markets (Toronto, New York) will dip into the pond once again and grab the most attractive fish, then fail to live up to expectations again next year.

We'll sign someone to replace Smolinski and Ryder, but that's about it. I hope for Rolston, but that's unlikely.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote