HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

My Weekend In Montreal And The Game

Old
04-07-2008, 11:07 AM
LilWinger11

vCash: 500
My Weekend In Montreal And The Game

So I got to Montreal late Friday afternoon, after driving from the border into the city in heavy snow. My mother was driving, white-knuckled, at a snail's pace. She refused to let me drive (which is probably just as well; what the Habs are to hockey, my mother is to backseat driving). When we went over Pont Champlain, the snow was so thick you couldn't even tell we were on a bridge. We got to the hotel in one piece though. We went to Eaton Centre so I could get a car flag and then got at La Belle Province for dinner.

Saturday morning I went to Chapters to get the Kovalev DVD and then walked to the old Forum to go to Sports Experts (I needed hockey tape and knew I didn't have time to go to the pro shop at home today). After that I walked to the Bell Centre to go to the Boutique, but I didn't buy anything. The place was packed, and I think at this point I own most of what they sell. By then I saw starving, so I decided to walk up to Ste-Catherine and find some lunch. I ended up at La Belle Province again.

At dinner time, my mom and I decided to try Hurleys. We walked down to Rene-Levesque, planning to go up Crescent toward Ste-Catherine, and somehow walked right past it We ended up at Peel Pub, which was packed, but the service was surprisingly fast and the food was good. I'd definitely go there again. As we were eating, a guy came in wearing a Tucker jersey. Somehow, I managed to finish my meal anyway. After dinner, my mom went out shopping and I headed to the Bell Centre.

Then, the game. OMG, the game. My first Habs/Leafs tilt, and it delivered. I was sooooo excited to see Raycroft starting, LOL. 2:29 into the game, we were outshooting the Leafs 4-0 and we had done both the "Leafs Suck" and the "Raaaaaaaycroooooooooooft" chants. I've wanted to do those for so long. It's just not the same in my living room. To my delight, someone in my section (418)started the "Sixty-seven" chant late in the first or early in the second.

(The best part was after Bell scored, some Leaf fans about seven rows in front of me jumped up, turned around, and started waving at us. The whole section started doing the "Sixty-Seven!" chant again )

With a little over a minute to go, the ovation was spine-tingling. I turned on my camera, knowing that I was up too high to get any decent video- I just wanted the audio. I think I turned it off when the Gorges/Tucker fight broke out, because I was worried about my battery, and I knew I wanted the last seconds of the game when it started back up. As a result, I don't have any recording of myself yelling, "Enjoy the golf, Tucker!" I do have the last seconds of the game, though, and I may have gotten a picture of the Habs saluting the crowd. As soon as I'm done here I'm going to get the camera and see what I have.

After the game, I came out on the St-Antoine side of the Bell Centre, and it was just chaos. Awesome chaos. Walking around to Gauchetiere I encountered two different groups of teenagers with foil Stanley Cups, dancing in circles chanting, "We Want The Cup! We Want The Cup!" Chants of "Leafs Suck!" were breaking out every so often, too. And of course, there were at least a couple thousand people singing Ole Ole. Cars, most of them with Habs flags, were blasting their horns as they drove down Rene-Levesque. I would have loved to stay out and just absorb the craziness, but my mom's a big worrier and I knew she'd be at the hotel thinking I had gotten kidnapped or something There was a guy (drunk, I assume) hanging out the window several floors up yelling, "Habs suck! Go Leafs Go!" to which I responded, "Yeah, go golfing!" My voice was shot by that point, and I don't think he heard me. The honking horns and "Ole Ole" from the street finally subsided around 11:00. I got to sleep around midnight and woke up at six-thirty to come home.

P.S. Which of you was the drunk guy who tried to high-five me on Rene-Levesque after the game and completely missed my hand?

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 11:12 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
So I got to Montreal late Friday afternoon, after driving from the border into the city in heavy snow. My mother was driving, white-knuckled, at a snail's pace. She refused to let me drive (which is probably just as well; what the Habs are to hockey, my mother is to backseat driving). When we went over Pont Champlain, the snow was so thick you couldn't even tell we were on a bridge. We got to the hotel in one piece though. We went to Eaton Centre so I could get a car flag and then got at La Belle Province for dinner.

Saturday morning I went to Chapters to get the Kovalev DVD and then walked to the old Forum to go to Sports Experts (I needed hockey tape and knew I didn't have time to go to the pro shop at home today). After that I walked to the Bell Centre to go to the Boutique, but I didn't buy anything. The place was packed, and I think at this point I own most of what they sell. By then I saw starving, so I decided to walk up to Ste-Catherine and find some lunch. I ended up at La Belle Province again.

At dinner time, my mom and I decided to try Hurleys. We walked down to Rene-Levesque, planning to go up Crescent toward Ste-Catherine, and somehow walked right past it We ended up at Peel Pub, which was packed, but the service was surprisingly fast and the food was good. I'd definitely go there again. As we were eating, a guy came in wearing a Tucker jersey. Somehow, I managed to finish my meal anyway. After dinner, my mom went out shopping and I headed to the Bell Centre.

Then, the game. OMG, the game. My first Habs/Leafs tilt, and it delivered. I was sooooo excited to see Raycroft starting, LOL. 2:29 into the game, we were outshooting the Leafs 4-0 and we had done both the "Leafs Suck" and the "Raaaaaaaycroooooooooooft" chants. I've wanted to do those for so long. It's just not the same in my living room. To my delight, someone in my section (418)started the "Sixty-seven" chant late in the first or early in the second.

(The best part was after Bell scored, some Leaf fans about seven rows in front of me jumped up, turned around, and started waving at us. The whole section started doing the "Sixty-Seven!" chant again )

With a little over a minute to go, the ovation was spine-tingling. I turned on my camera, knowing that I was up too high to get any decent video- I just wanted the audio. I think I turned it off when the Gorges/Tucker fight broke out, because I was worried about my battery, and I knew I wanted the last seconds of the game when it started back up. As a result, I don't have any recording of myself yelling, "Enjoy the golf, Tucker!" I do have the last seconds of the game, though, and I may have gotten a picture of the Habs saluting the crowd. As soon as I'm done here I'm going to get the camera and see what I have.

After the game, I came out on the St-Antoine side of the Bell Centre, and it was just chaos. Awesome chaos. Walking around to Gauchetiere I encountered two different groups of teenagers with foil Stanley Cups, dancing in circles chanting, "We Want The Cup! We Want The Cup!" Chants of "Leafs Suck!" were breaking out every so often, too. And of course, there were at least a couple thousand people singing Ole Ole. Cars, most of them with Habs flags, were blasting their horns as they drove down Rene-Levesque. I would have loved to stay out and just absorb the craziness, but my mom's a big worrier and I knew she'd be at the hotel thinking I had gotten kidnapped or something There was a guy (drunk, I assume) hanging out the window several floors up yelling, "Habs suck! Go Leafs Go!" to which I responded, "Yeah, go golfing!" My voice was shot by that point, and I don't think he heard me. The honking horns and "Ole Ole" from the street finally subsided around 11:00. I got to sleep around midnight and woke up at six-thirty to come home.

P.S. Which of you was the drunk guy who tried to high-five me on Rene-Levesque after the game and completely missed my hand?

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 11:13 AM
Spectaculard

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Sounds like fun. I live in Montreal and haven't been to a game all season.

I'll make sure to see a playoff game though.

Spectaculard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 11:14 AM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrychair View Post
Sounds like fun. I live in Montreal and haven't been to a game all season.

I'll make sure to see a playoff game though.

LilWinger, I can't wait to see what you caught on your camera.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
sounds like you had fun.

that high five part at the end must have been hilarious

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 11:17 AM
neofury*

Your mom sounds like a serious worry wort. Like one of those kids who when you'd want to play street hockey with them when you were kids, their rents would never let them play cause it was, 100ft down the road at the park and you'd be ten 10 year olds alone it's like lady.... they won't be getting into drugs yet and in residential streets that have a car every 10 minutes, they won't get hit

Or when you'd play right outside their house, their mom would always be looking out the window shifty eyed.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 11:20 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Peel Pub? Icky!!!!

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 11:22 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Glad you had fun.

I don't care what team you cheer for or where you live,there is no better place then Montreal to watch a hockey game

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 11:54 AM
mcphee

Glad you had a good time. Next time, maybe I could show Mom some of the city ?

oops, forgets again that his wife is literate, and that his daughter knows where the site is.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 01:52 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Sounds like you had an incredible trip. Definitely looking forward the the pictures.

04-07-2008, 02:10 PM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

Any pics of your mom ?

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
As we were eating, a guy came in wearing a Tucker jersey. Somehow, I managed to finish my meal anyway.
Great post, glad you had fun!

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Russeltown

Great post LilWinger! I am happy that you liked your trip and we certainly wish to see you, American Habs Fans, more often in La Mecca of Hockey.

Did you like the wave our section started (117)? I just kept talking and talking to Leafs fan during the evening! Even if their IQ is under the average, they are great people!
Finally, the night after the game was dynamite. The whole city did not sleep, that was really special...

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote