HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PJ Stock has got to go

Old
04-07-2008, 02:22 PM
Kachino
@kachino82

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead View Post
marinero is a homer and stock is a hater, good radio.
Awesome radio...

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Vinceee
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPlex View Post
What did that guy Joel (I think that was his name) say to PJ in Italian today?
vafanculo

Last edited by Vinceee: 04-07-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Vinceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Pedro McGuire*

To all you PJ Stock Complainers PLEASE! just change the god damn chanel! its not that hard. you must be familliar with this thing called a "knob" of a "button" is your radio stuck on AM 990!? Shut the ******* up about him allready!

Pedro McGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Quiet Robert

I like PJ, but I think his show has gone downhill. As he's gotten more comfortable with the job, it seems he's gotten more irrational, if that makes sense. It really started this year when they pushed the Marinaro/Stock intermission show and they basically disagreed with each other on everything.

I'm sorta joining mcphee here in that Stock can offer a great counterweight to all the homers, but sometimes it appears he just says the first that pops into his head and then when he's called on it he has to backtrack and he wastes entire segments arguing all over himself.

He could be an excellent host though. After the McGuire pwned him on Monday, the two had excellent debates for the rest of the week. If he focused on giving a player's view of it, being light hearted good natured PJ, and then offering the insight I know he has, he would be much better than if he was just pushing people's buttons.

I find he's much better on CBC next to Mclean. (though I figure McLean could make anyone look good-that guy is just good at what he does.) I guess CBC forces him to be more of the straight man and when he does that he can break down the plays and give his opinions with McLean there to keep him in line. (Though maybe they're grooming him to be the next Cherry because they seem to have good chemistry and PJ loves showing hard forecheking, fights and solid defence rather than highlight goals.) He needs to work on his play by play though, sometimes his updates a turrble.

To add: I think the guy could be a good actor because you definitely get the impression he's playing different roles. He's a completely different person on CBC-Montreal, on HNIC, 110% and Team990. Credit to him to be smart enough to find a role that works in each different situation though again I do wish he would focus more on insight rather than agitating on his radio show. But whatever, this thread is proof it works; he gets people riled up and they call his show to complain.

On a sidenote, am I completely losing my marbles, or is Melnick's show over 50% commercials now? I swear I counted it one time and he comes in at :06 past the hour, goes to commercial/update at :17, doesn't come back until about :25-7ish goes to commercial again around :40 comes back at :45ish then final commercial at :55ish. (I think that's less than 50%, but still sometimes I get the impression I'm listening to more ads than usual) I really like the Rod Francis guy though; he could probably have his own show.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 03:41 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
I like PJ, but I think his show has gone downhill. As he's gotten more comfortable with the job, it seems he's gotten more irrational, if that makes sense. It really started this year when they pushed the Marinaro/Stock intermission show and they basically disagreed with each other on everything.

I'm sorta joining mcphee here in that Stock can offer a great counterweight to all the homers, but sometimes it appears he just says the first that pops into his head and then when he's called on it he has to backtrack and he wastes entire segments arguing all over himself.

He could be an excellent host though. After the McGuire pwned him on Monday, the two had excellent debates for the rest of the week. If he focused on giving a player's view of it, being light hearted good natured PJ, and then offering the insight I know he has, he would be much better than if he was just pushing people's buttons.

I find he's much better on CBC next to Mclean. (though I figure McLean could make anyone look good-that guy is just good at what he does.) I guess CBC forces him to be more of the straight man and when he does that he can break down the plays and give his opinions with McLean there to keep him in line. (Though maybe they're grooming him to be the next Cherry because they seem to have good chemistry and PJ loves showing hard forecheking, fights and solid defence rather than highlight goals.) He needs to work on his play by play though, sometimes his updates a turrble.

On a sidenote, am I completely losing my marbles, or is Melnick's show over 50% commercials now? I swear I counted it one time and he comes in at :06 past the hour, goes to commercial/update at :17, doesn't come back until about :25-7ish goes to commercial again around :40 comes back at :45ish then final commercial at :55ish. (I think that's less than 50%, but still sometimes I get the impression I'm listening to more ads than usual) I really like the Rod Francis guy though; he could probably have his own show.

I agree. I don't like to bury the guy because he seems to come back after train wreck shows, settle down and be ok for awhile. I think he's a good guy and it shows at times. I think he probably thinks at some level that his history should buy his opinions some acceptance,and if so, this ain't the town for it.

As for just tuning out, the thing is, I love good sports radio, always have. As a kid I'd play with the transistor at night and get a Boston station, where I'd listen to yahhos rant about which Celtic should be benched.

Lately, it's felt like overload and I tune out during his show. If I'm on the road, I listen to a bit. Complaining's good, if you want better quality, complain loudly.

I think Mitch extended a segment making the next few commercial heavy, I think. Did you catch his assessment of Leaf fans ? I'm suire that would go over big if replayed on their board.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 04:12 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Cue JayDee's ''he does it to get a reaction'' post.
lol, no, Im not gonna post it.

i posted it once, its enough, theirs no point in posting it again because thats exactly what PJ would want.

He wants to stir the pot and by this thread, it's easy to say, he's doing a hell of a job

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I don't want to listen to blatant homerism, and frankly, the majority of the staff have a wide knowledge base. Stock just goes apecrap when he's disagreed with and starts screaming. He has these days regularly, then must hear about, because he's nice as pie the next day.

You can be critical, play devil's advocate, but use facts. Some find it funny, buy into his act, I don't. Everyone's sense of humour is different though, and his doesn't appeal to me.

Late in the year, I think it's tough for media as pretty well everything's been said.
It's a schtick!!!!

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Have you listened to his show ?
I have, and he's more tolerable than some of the others on team 990.

In fact, the only personality I like on the Team 990 is Picard. Everyone else is either uninteresting or incredibly biased.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Tucker316*

Send a message via MSN to Tucker316*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
I have, and he's more tolerable than some of the others on team 990.

In fact, the only personality I like on the Team 990 is Picard. Everyone else is either uninteresting or incredibly biased.
Picard...good guy.

I knew I heard his voice before though...I realized it was in fact his voice I used to listen to when he worked for 99.9 The Buzz.

Tucker316* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Have you listened to his show ?
Is he different than he is on CBC? Because, on CBC he seems to lean Hab (he's still terrible and barely comprehensible), but I admit at the outset, I don't go anywhere near his radio show.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 06:51 PM
Habs8517

pack that loser and send him home to join his goons friends

Habs8517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Lafleurs Guy

I listened to him for a little while but I realized that he either doesn't know what he's talking about or he's just out to be controversial. Either way I just couldn't be bothered listening anymore.

I just changed the channel and I'm not coming back.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Man oh man I can't stand this guy anymore. I used to really like him but he's become so stale and annoying. He will try and spin the facts in whatever way possible to talk down the Habs, no matter how ridiculous it sounds. I don't think he's been right a single time this season.

I mean why is this guy on the radio? I like him right up until he starts talking about the Habs. He's normally funny and all, but the minute he starts talking about the Habs he sounds about as enlightened as Michel Bergeron.

I like the fact that he used to play in the NHL and has some GREAT stories, and brings alot of inside information and gives a much more realistic perspective on things because he actually knows how things work in the NHL and in hockey...But man, this guy is so anti-Hab, he's become unbearable. Nobody wants to hear their team bashed, for stupid reasons no less, over and over, every day of the week. Nobody wants to be told that our team "really isn't THAT good", that we were just lucky and overachieved, that our success is more a factor of other teams screwing up...

Sorry PJ. You belong on Boston radio with the rest of the clueless Boston homer media.
Waffledave. One question. Do you come on HF to talk about radio personalities that you like?

Let me answer that for you. No you don't. He's trying to be different. Everyone now is a Hab booster. He's trying to carve himself a niche in the Montreal market. Bet his schtick pulls in alot of haters.

Habs Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 07:04 PM
Istvan

Quote:
Can you explain how you would define credibility for a radio station ?
If I like what I hear the station has crediblilty.

Istvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 07:06 PM
Istvan

Quote:
PJ's just an excitable boy.
and some would like him disposed of by Roland the headless thompson gunner perhaps.

Old
04-07-2008, 08:39 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan View Post
and some would like him disposed of by Roland the headless thompson gunner perhaps.
and if things don't work out, Send Lawyers Guns and Money, dad get me out of this.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 08:55 PM
rudethedude66

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
He sounds like he doesn't want his job anymore, and as a fan and local, i find that to be insulting to us. he even said today at one point " this is why i hate taking calls". He doesn't like montreal, the city, the team, the people and his job. PJ, change your style or get out!
Get your facts straight dude...P.J grew up here....lived his whole life here besides the years at university and during his short career....He loves montreal as a city...maybe he hates the team which i believe he does not..just playing his role for his job...he is passionate at times that proves he has a love for the team....I do believe he he is starting to get a bigger EGO since he has started doin his TV gig in Toronto on HNIC. But dont doubt his love for this city...I grew up with him and know him well.

rudethedude66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 09:38 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Ok,

I understand that his whole "shtick" is to rile people up.

There was a time where I liked him for that exact reason.

However, all he does now is repeat the same crap over and over again. He's become stale. He's not riling people up, he's just becoming annoying. There's a difference.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Istvan

Quote:
and if things don't work out, Send Lawyers Guns and Money, dad get me out of this.
Truce.