HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: The playoff pool thread

Old
04-07-2008, 12:24 PM
boundless

vCash: 500
OT: The playoff pool thread

For anyone joining a playoff pool, let's make this the official thread for suggestions, tips, advice...

For the pool I'm in, we need to pick 12 forwards, 3 defense and 1 goalie.

What would you guys recommend as a strategy? Obviously I'm going to be making my picks from the group of teams I feel will go far in the playoffs (ie: Detroit, San Jose, Montreal, Anaheim, Pittsburgh).

Aside from that, I think it makes sense to pick a goalie first. What do you guys think? There are 7 or 8 participants in this pool I'm in.

Here's my list so far with a ranking order:

Goalies
Nabokov
Hasek
Price
Giguere
Fleury
Brodeur
Lundqvist

Defense
Lidstrom
Campbell
Streit
Rafalski
Gonchar
Schneider
Neidermayer
Markov

Forward
Thornton
Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Malkin
Ovechkin
Crosby
Kovalev
Getzlaf
Iginla
Ribeiro
Gaborik
Morrow
Jagr
Stastny
Gomez
Pleks
Hossa

Feel free to comment on the rankings and/or add more players to the lists.

boundless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 01:58 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Well, I never do playoff pools anymore (I hate conflicting emotions on teams during the playoffs) but here goes:

I recommend choosing 1 team per conference and loading up. You seem to get that part of it already. Not knowing how the goalie points are awarded it's hard to say if you should choose one first. Have a secondary team / conference to choose your secondary guys from.

Your rankings are fine, but a bit all over the place in terms of teams. I suggest:

1) decide what teams you will load up on.
2) decide which guys (in order on that team) you want most.
3) make you list twice as long as you think it should be.

Don't forget Turco. Are the Stars in tough? Yep. But the guy had 3 SO in the first round last year and still his team lost -- he'll be hellbent this year to do it again.

More tips:

- favour a Centre / Winger pair on a team over 2 wingers
- favour a Centre if you can only get one guy on a line
- Only take D that play on the PP
- have accurate depth charts and injury reports

Know who was injured during the year. For example I had Mikko Koivu (chosen shortly after I picked Saku) and Alexander Semin, both had rough injury years but both were good at the end and should have consistent playoffs.

Also, know who is hot now. Guys who have been on fire over the last 25 games are usually good bets to keep up their play.

Lastly if you can get all 5 guys on a top PP unit, and that team makes the Conference Finals, you are probably gonna be the champ.

I just successfully defended my season crown and won back-to-back pools among my friends, (chosing 2nd one year and last this year) so I hope these ideas bring you the good luck that I had. It all comes down to injuries in the reg. season, in the playoffs it's rarely any different - key injuries lead to losses and teams being eliminated, so pick healthy !!!!

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 02:07 PM
boundless

Hey, thanks for the excellent response! Will definitely take everything you said into consideration.

You make a good point about the PP guys and the injury returns.

As for how points are awarded, it's a very simple pool: skaters get 1 pt per goal and assist. Goalies get 2 points for a win and an extra point if the win is a shutout.

I've been wanting to load up on a few Pens players, but I'm not sure what's gonna happen in that series. Although Ottawa is in the dumps right now, anything can happen I think.

boundless is offline   Reply With Quote