HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect of the month

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2004, 04:56 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Prospect of the month

http://www.habsworld.net/show_prospect.php?id=332

Old
02-06-2004, 05:00 PM
Guy Caballero

Realistically, what are this guy's chances of making it to the NHL? He's 5'9'', 175 and doesn't play a particularly hard-nosed game, from what I understand. What current player would you compare him to if you were to make an optimistic assesment of his potential?

Old
02-06-2004, 05:06 PM
Quagmier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekanec
Cliff Ronning?
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay slower

Old
02-06-2004, 05:09 PM
Guy Caballero

Seems so. I've heard Locke is pretty slow, whereas Ronning compensated for his size by being a great skater.

Old
02-06-2004, 05:09 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
Realistically, what are this guy's chances of making it to the NHL? He's 5'9'', 175 and doesn't play a particularly hard-nosed game, from what I understand. What current player would you compare him to if you were to make an optimistic assesment of his potential?

Ribeiro comes to mind. If you compare Locke currently, verus Ribeiro at 19, you have 2 small centers. Locke is very short, but weighs more then Ribs did at 19, and imo is a better skater with more speed and shows better awareness in his own end. He has better goal scoring abilities, but I would say Ribs at 19 was a better playmaker, but not by much as it's very close. Locke is very good at finding the open man, and he makes great tape to tape passes.

I don't want to say that Locke is the 2nd coming of Ribeiro, just that I think they are in somewhat similar situations, as they both have the same areas that need to be improved. Locke must get stronger, faster, and better in his own end, but to me he's ahead of Ribs at 19 for the most part (outside the fact that Ribs played 19 games in the NHL, but that shouldn't have happened, as Ribs looked lost on the ice).

Old
02-06-2004, 06:58 PM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Hey guys, some people here underestimate big time the offensive skills of Locke, have you guys seen the 2nd best scorer on his team!??? he doesnt even have 1 ppg!

while locke is at nearly at 2 pts per game.. I believe this guy will find a way to the NHL.

but only time will tell.

Old
02-06-2004, 07:37 PM
Brownies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
He needs to work on his skating and add some weight too. If he works hard, he can, but he'll be a career AHLer if he only rely on his talent IMO. The comparison between him and Ribeiro is the best I can think of and it took some time before he decided to work harder and earn a spot.

Old
02-06-2004, 07:52 PM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownies
He needs to work on his skating and add some weight too. If he works hard, he can, but he'll be a career AHLer if he only rely on his talent IMO. The comparison between him and Ribeiro is the best I can think of and it took some time before he decided to work harder and earn a spot.
That's why he was a 4th rounder... He's a project and a long shot.

Although I'm kind of a homer when it comes to Locke.

Old
02-06-2004, 10:06 PM
NWT Habs Fan

Well, I just returned from the Ottawa 67's game against the Owen Sound Attack tonight. I spent a fair time watching Locke and Deveaux, who both gots lots of key ice time on their respective teams. I feel that Locke really does need to work on his speed. He constantly gets double shifted on the PP and ends up getting lots of ice time, so that may take something off his pace; however, he was being left behind on a few breaks and he really didn't make the effort to catch up. You can truly see his vision and hockey sense, and he knows where to be off the puck and made some really nice passes out to his teammates in front of the net. If he can add that weight and work on a bit more jump in his speed, his scoring abililities will be a nice addition to Hamilton next season.

Old
02-06-2004, 10:11 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Ribeiro comes to mind. If you compare Locke currently, verus Ribeiro at 19, you have 2 small centers. Locke is very short, but weighs more then Ribs did at 19, and imo is a better skater with more speed and shows better awareness in his own end. He has better goal scoring abilities, but I would say Ribs at 19 was a better playmaker, but not by much as it's very close. Locke is very good at finding the open man, and he makes great tape to tape passes.

I don't want to say that Locke is the 2nd coming of Ribeiro, just that I think they are in somewhat similar situations, as they both have the same areas that need to be improved. Locke must get stronger, faster, and better in his own end, but to me he's ahead of Ribs at 19 for the most part (outside the fact that Ribs played 19 games in the NHL, but that shouldn't have happened, as Ribs looked lost on the ice).
i havnt seen him play, so i dont make comments on players i havnt seen play but you have so ill take your word

Old
02-07-2004, 01:22 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal

Exactly, when you see Ribs play he may not look fast but his stick handling, hockey sense and smart play with the puck compensates for it. Ribs can stick handle around anyone, Locke has the same instinct.

Could very well be the steal of the draft...look at what he has done this year compaired to last with a worse and younger supporting cast of players! I think he will be a player.

Old
02-07-2004, 12:21 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
Exactly, when you see Ribs play he may not look fast but his stick handling, hockey sense and smart play with the puck compensates for it. Ribs can stick handle around anyone, Locke has the same instinct.

Could very well be the steal of the draft...look at what he has done this year compaired to last with a worse and younger supporting cast of players! I think he will be a player.

I'd give the nod to Ribs in the stickhandling department, but in Locke's case I think he works harder then Ribs did at 19, and he looks a lot stronger in his own end then Ribs did.

I hope they sign him over the summer, it will be good to see how he does in the AHL. Ribeiro was one of the better players in Quebec, imo, hopefully Locke has the same success.

Closed Thread