HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bring in an Offensive Co-Coach

Old
04-07-2008, 05:22 PM
Stiffler's Mom

vCash: 500
Bring in an Offensive Co-Coach

to quote Capn Cornelius from another thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
If Hitch can't figure a way to work with young talent, he's not the right guy for this team.
I think the steady and dismal decline of the Blue Jackets from the start of the season culminating in the Blue Jackets not participating in the playoffs, really indicates that what Hitchcock's system is not working. I want to use an example that applies to our offense in general. Look at the powerplay. It struggles because our DMen usually just try to blast the puck from the point with our forwards hoping for rebounds. There seems to be a lot of board or in the corner play, with a pass to the point followed by a shot(notice most of our players can't even get the rebound because they are usually on the boards). There is NO lateral puck movement followed by a quick shot. This type of play that offensive minded teams use is designed to catch to goalie moving and not giving him time to set his angles(see Detroit and Montreal powerplays). At other times whether on the powerplay or even strength, our players just gain the blueline and fire a shot at the goaltender from the wing, or shoot from just about any other position once the blueline is gained without setting up for a play. The better power plays and better offensive teams in the league have at least some sort lateral passing plays going on, something we never do. We always seem to get shots on goal, but opposing goalies usually see a lot of long shots. Our shot totals in certain games seem very good, but those shot total numbers are deceiving. Our offense is struggling because of the straight up and down "TABLE HOCKEY" mentality that Hitch brings to the Blue Jackets. We HAVE the personell for more offense. The creativity IS there. Hitch just doesn't teach it and doesn't allow it. Have you seen his practices? He gives no creative leeway whatsoever unless you want to find your butt on the bench (unless you are Zherdev or Nash). He won't allow a delay type of play entering the offensive zone, such as a button hook delay with option for drop or lateral pass. Even when we are 140 feet from our net with full control of the puck, it's drive the net and get the puck on goal and you never know what's going to happen. We all know what's going to happen Hitch - a shot on goal or wide and then NOTHING. Hitch thinks delay type plays or lateral passes are too risky for the defensive side of the game and will NOT ALLOW the players to take offensive risks, and forces them to DUMP AND CHASE. If we don't get the puck after the DUMP AND CHASE it is BACK TO THE TRAP. Hitch has no idea how to use his personnel for the offensive aspects of the game. Without question, Hitch is directly responsible for the lack of creativity and the lack of offense for this team. Bringing in new personell will change NOTHING. It will be a huge waste of money unless we bring in someone that REALLY UNDERSTANDS the offensive side of the game. The BlueJackets should make Hitchcock a CO-Coach or DEFENSIVE CO-Ordinator with DEFENSIVE responsibilities(as they do in football) for that is all he knows. Bring in an OFFENSIVE minded Co-Coach(or Co-ordinator)with a creative mind, to teach our players that the game can be fun and offensively creative (which an offensive co-coach can bring) with a sound defensive balance(which Hitch can devise). This "TABLE HOCKEY" brand that Hitch brings has turned off the fans(observed through declining attendance)and the players(see last 10 games performance). If our "style" doesn't change, it won't be long before Hitch "loses the room" if he hasn't already. There is a saying for stubborn people that goes something like this; Banging your head harder and harder against the wall trying to get your head through the concrete wall is not going to get your head through to the other side. You are just going to hurt your head. The players are working their as**s off and this coaches style is not working. IT WILL NOT WORK. CHANGE TACTICS.

Stiffler's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 05:34 PM
blahblah

Gave up on this wall of text.

Co-coach? That will never work. I would be happy with just replacing Agnew for now.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 05:48 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
What I'm afraid of, is that the 'new' NHL has passed coach Hitchcock by.

Timeless Winter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
What I'm afraid of, is that the 'new' NHL has passed coach Hitchcock by.
I suppose part of me is, too, but not enough evidence for me yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post

Co-coach? That will never work. I would be happy with just replacing Agnew for now.

I'm certain about all of this, though. Especially the giving up on the wall of text part.

Old
04-07-2008, 07:06 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:

Agnew and Noel should both be gone. Hitch needs to bring in some real assistants.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 07:12 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

I've read twice in the last two days that they are contracted through next year and will be coming back.

As much as a coaching change might be helpful, I think Priest and Howson have made enough of a public snit about "roster changes" that the heat is off the coaches ...for now.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 07:26 PM
PubOFH

Send a message via Yahoo to PubOFH
Paragraphs man paragraphs!!! My A.D.D. wont let me read that much with a picture or a paragraph. Somebody sum that up for me NOW!!!

PubOFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 07:27 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by PubOFH View Post
Paragraphs man paragraphs!!! My A.D.D. wont let me read that much with a picture or a paragraph. Somebody sum that up for me NOW!!!
Read my name... Sums it up perfectly.

Old
04-07-2008, 07:30 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

we will be saddled with the current coaching staff through at least next season according the Dispatch.

That said, Aside from Clint Malarachuk, I'm not pleased with the current staff at all....and that includes Hitch.

I'm not saying fire him, but I agree w/Timeless, I'm afraid the New NHL has passed by Hitch.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 07:34 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
I'm not saying fire him, but I agree w/Timeless, I'm afraid the New NHL has passed by Hitch.
So 98% of these forums said Hitch was given a crap hand and there was no way he could win with it. So he performs to everyones expectations and now the New NHL has passed him by?

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee............. .............................

Just enjoying the ride on the overreaction coaster we got going on around here.

Old
04-07-2008, 07:35 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

I'm afraid common sense has passed by all you Hitch bashers!!!!!!!

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 07:42 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
I'm pretty sure a fair number of people would be content to have Hitch fail until we fire him, make it to the playoffs the following year, just so they could say "See, I told you so!". Even if that took 6 years.

Old
Macster

Quote:
I don't think Hitch is god's gift to coaching or anything, but some of the comments in here are just crazy. This guy is one of the best coaches in sports right now. He prepares his teams better than anybody.

A good coach can adapt his coaching style and preperation to account for new rules. Hitch knows the rules and has adapted. What are you people basing your "the game has passed him by" comments on? The fact we had a team lacking skill and heart?

Give me a break.

While I'm on a roll, how do you know the coaches are doing a bad job?

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
108 wins.
126 losses.

First round loss.
Miss the playoffs.
Miss the playoffs.

That's Hitchcock's resume post-lockout.

I am no Hitch-hater. I have no problems with the man. He's still got a year left in his contract, and I won't be shocked to see him resigned. He's the best coach Columbus has had.

I am just putting that down for people who think people who think Hitch has lost a step since the lockout are crazy. It's not as baseless as you may think.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Funny how many games we decisively out-shot our opponents, yet Hitch doesn't allow his team to play offense. Double

Old
04-07-2008, 07:47 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
108 wins.
126 losses.

First round loss.
Miss the playoffs.
Miss the playoffs.

That's Hitchcock's resume post-lockout.

I am no Hitch-hater. I have no problems with the man. He's still got a year left in his contract, and I won't be shocked to see him resigned. He's the best coach Columbus has had.

I am just putting that down for people who think people who think Hitch has lost a step since the lockout are crazy. It's not as baseless as you may think.
Resume...

Lost in first round, had his team dismantled and fired after 8 games, took on a team halfway through the year, and coached a team that 5 people in the entire world thought he could win with (and 3 of them were family and friends, 1 was Hitch himself, and the other was me).

Geez, give the man a decent roster before you throw him under the bus at least. Even his supporters thought this was a sub-par roster.

Old
04-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Read my name... Sums it up perfectly.
alot of it was rambling, that's a given, but I think he's somewhat right with his sentiments on Hitch. I never really thought much of his ability on molding guys outside of board grinders. I.E I don't know if he'll be able to give us the Brassard we almost certainly deserve, and it leads to questions about Voracek. But, I believe the counter-arguement to this is that we have no talented guys right now to orchestrate a good puck movement game. So we'll see what Hitch can do this up-and-coming season...

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
blahblah, I agree completely. I don't think I am throwing him under the bus, either.

I am just trying to see it through the eyes of people who DO think Hitch has lost a step. I am presenting this to others so they can see their thought process, too.

Sound reasonable?

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 07:52 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

yea, and I suppose all of you have forgotten how he transformed Nash into the complete, MONSTER of a player he was for us this year.

Oops, sorry, forgot Hitch can't coach young guys.

Old
04-07-2008, 07:54 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

Quote:
yea, and I suppose all of you have forgotten how he transformed Nash into the complete, MONSTER of a player he was for us this year.

Oops, sorry, forgot Hitch can't coach young guys.
Nash works well against the boards, I think guys like Nash is who Hitch is best as molding. But meh.

Old
04-07-2008, 07:56 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
blahblah, I agree completely. I don't think I am throwing him under the bus, either.

I am just trying to see it through the eyes of people who DO think Hitch has lost a step. I am presenting this to others so they can see their thought process, too.

Sound reasonable?
Cool.

Hitch still has something to prove, I'll give people that. I'm just finding it odd that the same people who said he couldn't win with this team are saying he's done after not succeeding with this team.

Old
04-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

I'd say everyone needs to chill and give the guy a chance to coach a real NHL team, which we will hopefully have next season.

Old
04-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
we will be saddled with the current coaching staff through at least next season according the Dispatch.

That said, Aside from Clint Malarachuk, I'm not pleased with the current staff at all....and that includes Hitch.

If the top hockey minds in Canada think he's good enough to coach the national team, then he's good enough for me.

Just listen to the guy speak.... he knows his ****.

Stej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 08:02 PM
DougKnowsBest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PubOFH View Post
i can pick out bible code predictions in that

DougKnowsBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2008, 08:03 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

Quote:
I'd say everyone needs to chill and give the guy a chance to coach a real NHL team, which we will hopefully have next season.
That's basically what I think as well...