HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do we do with the lineup?

Old
04-06-2008, 12:53 AM
Captain Saku

vCash: 500
What do we do with the lineup?

If everybody will be ready for the playoffs, who do we play?

The Begin - Smolinski - Kostopoulos line have been awesome lately. Bouillon and Komisarek are expected to be back so what to do with Streit?

here's the expected lineup...

A.Kostytsin - Plekanec - Kovalev
Higgins - Koivu - Ryder
Latendresse - Lapierre - S.Kostytsin
Begin - Smolinski - Kostopoulos

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - O'Byrne
Bouillon - Gorges

so where do we put Streit???? He's surely going to have a spot, but I don't see that we should break the Begin - Smolinski - Kostopoulos line as they are the perfect 4th line for the playoffs.

And I don't see him taking anyone's place on defense.

So the only player I could see be scratched is Lapierre but then Higgins would have to center the 3rd line.

Thoughts?

Captain Saku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 01:08 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiascov View Post

The Begin - Smolinski - Kostopoulos line have been awesome lately. Bouillon and Komisarek are expected to be back so what to do with Streit?

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - O'Byrne
Bouillon - Gorges

so where do we put Streit???? He's surely going to have a spot, but I don't see that we should break the Begin - Smolinski - Kostopoulos line as they are the perfect 4th line for the playoffs.

So the only player I could see be scratched is Lapierre but then Higgins would have to center the 3rd line.

Thoughts?
Streit will end up taking either Ryder's spot, Lats' spot or O'Byrne spot. Streit will be in the lineup.

Thing is I'm not sure Koivu wil be there at the start so it shouldn't be a problem right now...but it will become one real soon....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 01:32 AM
Slick Nick

O'byrne is playing like crap latelty so Streit must take his spot. Dandy will sit when Ryder's back... one of Kosto or Bégin will sit when Koivu's back.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 01:36 AM
Kachino
@kachino82

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
O'byrne is playing like crap latelty so Streit must take his spot. Dandy will sit when Ryder's back... one of Kosto or Bégin will sit when Koivu's back.
You're entitled to your opinion but I completely disagree with you...

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 02:01 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

GAME ONE LINE-UP
Andrei Kostitsyn - Tomas Plekanec - Alex Kovalev
Guillaume Latendresse - Christopher Higgins - Sergei Kostitsyn
Mark Streit - Saku Koivu - Michael Ryder
Steve Begin - Bryan Smolinski - Tom Kostopolous

Andrei Markov - Mike Komisarek
Roman Hamrlik - Patrice Brisebois
Francis Bouillon - Josh Gorges

Carey Price

Mathieu Dandenault & Maxim Lapierre will play if Begin or Kosto struggle or any injuries arise. Lapierre first, Dandy second. Grabovski will only play as a regular if injuries arise among the top two lines.

Ryan O'Byrne will play in place of Patrice Brisebois OR Francis Bouillon, if either player struggles. If there is an injury, O'Byrne, without a question will get a chance to play.

If we go up 3-0 in the Boston series, I fully expect some of the bench guys to get plugged into a game.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 03:05 AM
les3couleurs

I'm trying to build a lineup considering everyone available and I can't really do it. I'll go through my reasoning and hopefully come up with a solution. Let’s assume that Koivu is cleared to play and whether he waits a couple more days is irrelevant, since if he’s gonna come back earlier

First off you have two lines that are unbreakable right now, i.e. Plekanec's and Smolinski's. It might be debatable that a fourth line is unbreakable, but I believe it is. We need Kostopoulos and Bégin's grit and Smolinski has never played as well this year as he has with them.

Markov – Komisarek and Bouillon – Gorges are a given for me. Both have been rock solid and shown great chemistry. Both pairings mix physical play with mobility and good outlet passes.

The question is do you put Streit on defence despite his obvious defensive deficiencies or give O’Byrne the spot on Hamrlik’s right side. The answer won’t surprise anyone who has read what I think of Streit. O’Byrne has to play opposite Hamrlik. Streit has way too much trouble playing the right side on defence. See Buffalo’s game where he was directly responsible for Buffalo’s two third period goals.

I’m sorry natey, but Brisebois is just a reserve even though he’s been good during Komi and Bouillon’s absence. He is still too easily pushed around around the net.

A couple of weeks ago, I would not have been sure, but O'Byrne's play in the last two weeks has me convinced he can play as the sixth d-man. The last few games have given him valuable experience on the PK. He still makes the odd mistake in coverage, but I’m confident Hamrlik will help and direct him and in important situations Komisarek and Gorges can be doubleshifted. His size will be important too because of the extracurricular activities going on after whistles.

So that means a place has to be made for Streit up front. There are six spots remaining on the second and third line. Koivu, Higgins, S. Kostitsyn and Streit take up four, so there are now two left.

The candidates are Dandenault, Ryder, Latendresse and Lapierre.

I’d say all have had a good last stretch and frankly a case can be made for all of them. I’m gonna go with the easy solution and say rotate them. Go with Dandenault- Ryder one game and Latendresse – Lapierre. I think we can give ourselves the first series to evaluate everybody one last time. Give Boston different looks might also bother them.

To me Grabovski is a black and probably behind guys that are going to be called up. He’s just not bult for the playoffs.

Here it goes.

G1
A. Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kovalev
Higgins – Koivu – S. Kostitsyn
Latendresse– Lapierre – Streit
Bégin - Smolinski - Kostopoulos

G2
A. Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kovalev
Streit – Koivu - S. Kostitsyn
Dandenault – Higgins – Ryder
Bégin - Smolinski – Kostopoulos

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - O'Byrne
Bouillon – Gorges

Price

Reserve : Brisebois, Grabovski, Stewart, Lapierre – Latendresse / Dandenault – Ryder

From there you go with what you got from the first two games.

les3couleurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 03:52 AM
zzoo

With the probable absence of Koivu, do you think that Grabovski has a chance to start a few games ?

The roster is really stacked now.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 03:59 AM
les3couleurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
With the probable absence of Koivu, do you think that Grabovski has a chance to start a few games ?

None whatsoever. Higgins will play center instead of Koivu.

les3couleurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 05:09 AM
Habbiebo0gie

Quote:
Originally Posted by les3couleurs View Post
None whatsoever. Higgins will play center instead of Koivu.
Yeah, he's not that great defensively so you want to go with a safer lineup in the playoffs.

Habbiebo0gie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 05:28 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - O'Byrne
Bouillon - Gorges
*** no.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 10:12 AM
jcpenny

Quote:
First of all, you need to open your eyes. Obyrne is playing awsome right now and finished the season with a +7. Against Buffalo he played 20 mins and was a rock. He should start. On Offense we are set and there is no place for streit there but Streit will play.

Sorry to dissapoint the fan favorite but the odd man out for me is Bouillon. OByrne, Streit, Gorges, KOmi, Hammer and Markov all bring something that this team needs. People are talking like we are a lesser team without Bouillon which is none sense. Noticed we've allowed 2 goals in 3 games in his absence? Yes Price has a lot to do with it but the defense has been playing amazing since hes been gone and the Streit-Obyrne pairing has played very well. I really dont see where its a given that he should start.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
First of all, you need to open your eyes. Obyrne is playing awsome right now and finished the season with a +7. Against Buffalo he played 20 mins and was a rock. He should start. On Offense we are set and there is no place for streit there but Streit will play.

Sorry to dissapoint the fan favorite but the odd man out for me is Bouillon. OByrne, Streit, Gorges, KOmi, Hammer and Markov all bring something that this team needs. People are talking like we are a lesser team without Bouillon which is none sense. Noticed we've allowed 2 goals in 3 games in his absence? Yes Price has a lot to do with it but the defense has been playing amazing since hes been gone and the Streit-Obyrne pairing has played very well. I really dont see where its a given that he should start.
Gotta agree with this...though Bouillon has been pretty solid this year and his physical/skating really helps this team, but O'Byrne brings both of those things in a bigger package, especially if he's playing like he has since he's come back from injury. He's using his size, blocking shots, and moving the puck out of his zone quickly.

I'd rather avoid playing Streit as a forward to not mess up the chemistry we've created up front, and with the Bruins being agressive on the forecheck with guys like Reich, Thornton and Lucic, its important to have defensman like Streit who can go back in their zone quickly and retrieve the puck to move it out safely.

I'm also of the opinion that Higgins should stay at center, or the very least, not get put back with Koivu when he returns. Higgins has had his best moments this year away from Koivu.

AKostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev
Latendresse-Koivu-Ryder
SKostitsyn-Higgins-Lapierre
Bégin-Smolinski-Kostopoulos

Markov-Komisarek
Hamrlik-Gorges
Streit-O'Byrne

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 10:41 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
GAME ONE LINE-UP
Andrei Kostitsyn - Tomas Plekanec - Alex Kovalev
Guillaume Latendresse - Christopher Higgins - Sergei Kostitsyn
Mark Streit - Saku Koivu - Michael Ryder
Steve Begin - Bryan Smolinski - Tom Kostopolous

Andrei Markov - Mike Komisarek
Roman Hamrlik - Patrice Brisebois
Francis Bouillon - Josh Gorges

Carey Price

Mathieu Dandenault & Maxim Lapierre will play if Begin or Kosto struggle or any injuries arise. Lapierre first, Dandy second. Grabovski will only play as a regular if injuries arise among the top two lines.

Ryan O'Byrne will play in place of Patrice Brisebois OR Francis Bouillon, if either player struggles. If there is an injury, O'Byrne, without a question will get a chance to play.

If we go up 3-0 in the Boston series, I fully expect some of the bench guys to get plugged into a game.
That's exactly the lineup I'd like...

...and we badly need Koivu's faceoff abilities... we'll get crushed if we suck on them...

Edit: I forgot you liked Brisebois that much... he's obviously not part of it... I doubt Carbo will use him instead of O'Byrne...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 10:46 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
That's exactly the lineup I'd like...

...and we badly need Koivu's faceoff abilities... we'll get crushed if we suck on them...

Edit: I forgot you liked Brisebois that much... he's obviously not part of it... I doubt Carbo will use him instead of O'Byrne...
I think O'Byrne should play.

But I think Carbo will start with Brisebois (if he plays bad the 1st game, he sits).. due to the experience factor.

Old
04-06-2008, 11:29 AM
Erik Estrada

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
It depends what Carbo wants? Does he feel he needs a more positionally sound and physical F or more speed? If ever he decides to put Grabovski it's because he wants to take advantage of the average speed of the Bruins D.

Stuart is a good shutdown D that skates well. However despite being huge and aggressive, Chara and Alberts often get beat by speedier Fs. Alberts isn't particularly fast, and Chara doesn't have the greatest side-to-side mobility. Wideman is not physical and Ward makes defensive zone brain cramps.

IMO the reason we've taken it to the Bruins all season was using our speed against a gritty but not very mobile D corps.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 11:44 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
I really hated Ryder all year, but I'd still put him in the playoffs. When everything is on the line, maybe he'll turn back into that great shooting 30 goal scorer we're used to. Kind of a valuable asset.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 11:47 AM
Pascal

I think Dandy will get a few games in, the guy has a lot of playoff experience.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 11:48 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
you must've been drunk or something while watching games lately...

O'Byrne has been GREAT, he's throwing his weight around more and has been playing like a veteran.

Our best line the last few games has been Smolinski Begin Kostopolous, no way in hell we'd break them up.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 12:02 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallyHabsFan21 View Post
Our best line the last few games has been Smolinski Begin Kostopolous, no way in hell we'd break them up.
Yup.

Lapierre will likely get the axe if Streit plays forward.

Brisebois/O'Byrne if Streit plays defense.

Old
04-06-2008, 12:09 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Yup.

Lapierre will likely get the axe if Streit plays forward.

Brisebois/O'Byrne if Streit plays defense.
Lapierre shouldn't get the axe. We're going to need his grit/speed/**** disturbing abilities and he's exactly the type of player that can be money in the playoffs.

I'd rather scratch Ryder or Kosto over him

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 12:09 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - O'Byrne
Bouillon - Gorges

Thoughts?
No need to rush Saku back in the line up. The team won its last three games without him, and Kovy is doing a great job with the "C" on his chest.

I am even wandering if this team needs Saku anymore... The team doesn't need his useless penalties.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 12:11 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Label View Post
Lapierre shouldn't get the axe. We're going to need his grit/speed/**** disturbing abilities and he's exactly the type of player that can be money in the playoffs.

I'd rather scratch Ryder or Kosto over him
I am voting for Ryder. What did he do the whole season ? NOTHING !

Old
04-06-2008, 12:12 PM
Pascal

I think Ryder will get the boot and it will be his last stay with the team.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 12:15 PM
Kaptain Bégin

Quote:
I think he played great hockey since Komisarek injury. I want him in the line-up against Boston. I think Streit will play on wing and take Ryder place.

Kaptain Bégin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 12:18 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Bégin View Post
I think he played great hockey since Komisarek injury. I want him in the line-up against Boston. I think Streit will play on wing and take Ryder place.
Bouillon is not back yet. Thre is still 6 spots on D if you take Brisebois out. Streit will be in the line up anyway. Ryder could stay out for the rest of the season, I really don't mind.