HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Martin looking to acquire a puck moving defenseman

Old
04-08-2008, 10:11 AM
Rattrick

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
I just LOVE the blind hatred for JM around here. Lets be real people, our defense sucked last year and you're going to complain that our GM wants to improve it? What a novel idea! Sure glad you're not running the team.

Also, just in case you weren't aware, a puck moving defenseman drastically helps your offense.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Madhatter73

We have a Three main problems that SEVERELY impact this team...

- We can't clear our zone.
- We can't get the puck in the opponent's zone
- We can't keep the puck in the opponent's zone

A good puck moving defenseman will help to alleviate all three of those problems.

As a result we will spend more time in the offensive zone which naturally leads to more soring opportunities.

This is not to say this is the only need the team has, but it is our more vital need at the moment. Secondarily, we need a 1st line winger to help take advantage of those new scoring chances.

Martin said acquiring the PMD is his top priority, not his only one. They are well aware this team has multiple needs.

Madhatter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 11:08 AM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
basically, you don't know what you're talking about. does JM handcuff bo? isn't that bo i see cruising in below the goal line to follow up a chip-in? isn't that bo jumping up on the rush to make it a 3v2 or 2v1 and scoring? campbell wouldn't be stifled at all.

as some others have pointed out, his speed and ability to move the puck would change quite a bit. offense starts with defense and transition. that leads to speed and makes it easier to gain the blue line. we don't have enough of that right now. it seems backwards (to some) but we need better defense to stoke the offense.

also, consider your complaints about the type of player YOU think JM desires. now look at campbell. no, sir, not a match. campbell's like a fourth forward and is all about attacking. JM's said that's what he wants. kinda flies in the face of your whole schpiel doesn't it?
We play a passive game. One d-man isn't going to improve our offense enough to make up for the lack of scoring which is a result of our sit back and play with no aggression. I guarantee if you bring Campbell in under JM as coach he doesn't match his point totals and probably falls 10-15 points short. A new system would improve our offense and by extension improve our defense. As said many times before the best defense is a good offense. One player who is good at moving the puck will not overcome the stranglehold that is JM's horrible outdated system and style of coaching.

Also, many here have complained that Olli doesn't have a top line winger to play with him. This is our biggest need. This would give us two legitimate scoring lines and would also get more production out of jokinen and other teams would have trouble matching lines and d-man when we have two legitimate scoring lines. Right now we have almost one, because BWH probably get other teams top pair d-men and with another scoring line this makes them better as well.

Not only will we have more offense on the top line with a top line winger we also get more offense out of our second line. In addition our defense will improve with more scoring threats because the BEST DEFENSE IS A GOOD OFFENSE.

As for JM acquiring a offensive player, he is still a defenseman. Our biggest need is a top line winger. Campbell isn't Scott Nieds or Pronger or Lidstrom. Then I would have no problem. But JM again has it backwards; He wants to have us win games from the blueline. He is obsessed with defense and this translates to his acquisitions.

Maybe when he gets fired he'll realize that his system isn't working for this team. We have a lot of speed, this team can really skate but JM would rather sit back and try to capitalize on the other team's mistakes. Instead we should play an aggressive game and open it up a bit. We would get more production out of everyone. I can almost guarantee we would take less penalties and get more powerplays. WE SHOULD HAVE BEEN LEVERAGING OUR PP ABILITY the entire season but we don't create enough offense or control the puck enough for the other teams to take penalties. This goes back to the passive defense first game which also means we take more penalties. I think we have the worst powerplay to penalty kill ratio in the league. Notice how we lost against tampa and atlanta when we couldn't get anything done on the PP. We have been forced this season to generate our offense on the PP for which we don't get that many opportunities.

If you think JM's system isn't hampering our players offensive abilities you're insane. Nobody, especially young guys wants to play a defense, defense, defense, passive game. It kills motivation and makes the game less fun. Not to mention the actual system stifles creativity. Just look at the player's stats. Every forward except for Booth and Kreps fell short of expectations.

Imagine if we opened the game up a bit. Maybe we would score more goals and make the playoffs. Look what Washington did with Hanlon. They fired him, brought in a coach the players actually like and respect and he got the most out of his players. Boudreau opened the game up and now they have won the division and are in the playoffs.

Spin this anyway you want but the reality is our biggest need is not a d-man it is a top line winger. Our d is good enough and I believe the best in the SE but they get overworked in this system.

FIRE JM.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 11:15 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Part of this teams problem this past season was puck movement, specifically in our own zone. How many times did we have an easy clear, or an easy pass in general, only to cough up the puck and give the opposition scoring chances? I think part of the problem is the defensive system they play sometimes. For example, we have all see one of our Dmen skates into the corners of our zone, and wait to take the hit rather than move the puck immediately. If you watch some of the better teams in the league, they move the puck quickly, and that what we need to do more. Campbell would certainly help this team in that aspect.

Martin needs to go as coach, stay as gm. Bring in some fresh blood with a new coach that brings a different strategy. A new voice would be refreshing for this team.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 11:15 AM
FlaPanthers7

I actually agree with JM. You get a guy who can make that pass out of the zone and start the offensive rush and you'll see more offensive improvement. His philosophy is defensive first, then the offense stems from making that first pass out of the defensive zone. A guy like Campbell or Liles would bring that. Right now we really just have JayBo in that role. Having a 2nd puck moving defenseman in theory would open things up offensively.

I really do hope we can shed some salary, like Stumpel's, and acquire a top winger, but I just don't see us having the cash to do that consider we need to resign JayBo.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 11:18 AM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Jay bo is fifth in goals, 44th in assists, and 24th in overall scoring for d-men. Not bad at all especially under JM. But there is no doubt in my mind we can get much more out of him offensively. The assists speak volume to the limited offensive ability upfront. 22 assists is nothing for a guy who has the most ice time in the NHL.

Old
04-08-2008, 11:21 AM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

I highly doubt we can get a top line winger and campbell. In fact I would say we are most likely to end up with the same lineup next year.

The problem with having JM as GM is his hockey philosophy will be part of his decision making with regards to acquiring players.

Old
04-08-2008, 11:31 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
We play a passive game. One d-man isn't going to improve our offense enough to make up for the lack of scoring which is a result of our sit back and play with no aggression. I guarantee if you bring Campbell in under JM as coach he doesn't match his point totals and probably falls 10-15 points short. A new system would improve our offense and by extension improve our defense. As said many times before the best defense is a good offense. One player who is good at moving the puck will not overcome the stranglehold that is JM's horrible outdated system and style of coaching.

Also, many here have complained that Olli doesn't have a top line winger to play with him. This is our biggest need. This would give us two legitimate scoring lines and would also get more production out of jokinen and other teams would have trouble matching lines and d-man when we have two legitimate scoring lines. Right now we have almost one, because BWH probably get other teams top pair d-men and with another scoring line this makes them better as well.

Not only will we have more offense on the top line with a top line winger we also get more offense out of our second line. In addition our defense will improve with more scoring threats because the BEST DEFENSE IS A GOOD OFFENSE.

As for JM acquiring a offensive player, he is still a defenseman. Our biggest need is a top line winger. Campbell isn't Scott Nieds or Pronger or Lidstrom. Then I would have no problem. But JM again has it backwards; He wants to have us win games from the blueline. He is obsessed with defense and this translates to his acquisitions.

Maybe when he gets fired he'll realize that his system isn't working for this team. We have a lot of speed, this team can really skate but JM would rather sit back and try to capitalize on the other team's mistakes. Instead we should play an aggressive game and open it up a bit. We would get more production out of everyone. I can almost guarantee we would take less penalties and get more powerplays. WE SHOULD HAVE BEEN LEVERAGING OUR PP ABILITY the entire season but we don't create enough offense or control the puck enough for the other teams to take penalties. This goes back to the passive defense first game which also means we take more penalties. I think we have the worst powerplay to penalty kill ratio in the league. Notice how we lost against tampa and atlanta when we couldn't get anything done on the PP. We have been forced this season to generate our offense on the PP for which we don't get that many opportunities.

If you think JM's system isn't hampering our players offensive abilities you're insane. Nobody, especially young guys wants to play a defense, defense, defense, passive game. It kills motivation and makes the game less fun. Not to mention the actual system stifles creativity. Just look at the player's stats. Every forward except for Booth and Kreps fell short of expectations.

Imagine if we opened the game up a bit. Maybe we would score more goals and make the playoffs. Look what Washington did with Hanlon. They fired him, brought in a coach the players actually like and respect and he got the most out of his players. Boudreau opened the game up and now they have won the division and are in the playoffs.

Spin this anyway you want but the reality is our biggest need is not a d-man it is a top line winger. Our d is good enough and I believe the best in the SE but they get overworked in this system.

FIRE JM.
Please, explain Martin's "system." I see people complain about his "system," yet no one can really explain what his system is. If you look at his system in Ottawa, he began in a similar situation we are in now, only to become one of the top teams in the league. And btw, they average as many goals now per season compared to when he was coaching, give or take 10 goals.

When this team played his "system" what happened to them...they won seven in a row. When this team commits to the game, and plays their scheme, they are quite effective. Booth had a career year. Bouwmeester had a career high in goals, as did Kreps, and Olesz. Did Martin go out and tell them not to set career highs, and instead play defense?

Best defense is a good offense? Wrong. Best offense is a good defense, especially in hockey. Having that Dmen that can move the puck out of the zone and hit players in stride on the blade of the stick is as important as having players that can finish. If the passes are off, if they are short, or they cant get out of their own zone, what do you think happens...the puck gets turned over and suddenly our offense turns into defense. And as far as our PP/PK issues, its more mental than anything. Its simple, keep your stick on the ice.

I want to see this team go out and get a Hossa, Prospal, Rolston, etc., to play with Olli, but to think that we dont need to address our defense as well is just wrong. I proposed in another thread that a Rolston/Campbell combo gives this team both. Id much rather go with a top line Dman like Campbell on the blueline and a 2nd tiered UFA forward, rather than adding another Cullimore or Johannson. Not to say they didnt perform well.

So Ill say it again...Martin stays as GM, and we bring in Hartley or Cunneyworth as head coach.

Old
04-08-2008, 11:31 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter73 View Post
We have a Three main problems that SEVERELY impact this team...

- We can't clear our zone.
- We can't get the puck in the opponent's zone
- We can't keep the puck in the opponent's zone

A good puck moving defenseman will help to alleviate all three of those problems.

As a result we will spend more time in the offensive zone which naturally leads to more soring opportunities.

This is not to say this is the only need the team has, but it is our more vital need at the moment. Secondarily, we need a 1st line winger to help take advantage of those new scoring chances.

Martin said acquiring the PMD is his top priority, not his only one. They are well aware this team has multiple needs.
well said. i do think we ought to emphasize the fact you can't do everything at once. last season, goaltending was the primary concern and there was an opportunity to address it. this off-season, we clearly need more help on the back line (though injuries really hurt this year). yes, we need more skill up front. consider, though, that we have 3 Fs arriving in the next 1-2 years that will more than likely address this need and the odds are JM doesn't give up much or commit much to a big name F. otoh, maybe campbell's way too expensive, they can't pry a smaller name from another team and there IS an opportunity to add some skill up front, perhaps via trade...

i'm sure they've got some guys targeted at D and F but they'll have to go where the opportunity is.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 11:38 AM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Please, explain Martin's "system." I see people complain about his "system," yet no one can really explain what his system is. If you look at his system in Ottawa, he began in a similar situation we are in now, only to become one of the top teams in the league. And btw, they average as many goals now per season compared to when he was coaching, give or take 10 goals.

When this team played his "system" what happened to them...they won seven in a row. When this team commits to the game, and plays their scheme, they are quite effective. Booth had a career year. Bouwmeester had a career high in goals, as did Kreps, and Olesz. Did Martin go out and tell them not to set career highs, and instead play defense?

Best defense is a good offense? Wrong. Best offense is a good defense, especially in hockey. Having that Dmen that can move the puck out of the zone and hit players in stride on the blade of the stick is as important as having players that can finish. If the passes are off, if they are short, or they cant get out of their own zone, what do you think happens...the puck gets turned over and suddenly our offense turns into defense. And as far as our PP/PK issues, its more mental than anything. Its simple, keep your stick on the ice.

I want to see this team go out and get a Hossa, Prospal, Rolston, etc., to play with Olli, but to think that we dont need to address our defense as well is just wrong. I proposed in another thread that a Rolston/Campbell combo gives this team both. Id much rather go with a top line Dman like Campbell on the blueline and a 2nd tiered UFA forward, rather than adding another Cullimore or Johannson. Not to say they didnt perform well.

So Ill say it again...Martin stays as GM, and we bring in Hartley or Cunneyworth as head coach.
I've explained this system a million times. search my past posts, you obviously don't understand or see it or else you know what I'm talking about.

The best defense is a good offense. No wonder you like JM.

Most shots against? CHECK
Don't generate enough PPs? CHECK
Don't show up for every game?CHECK
Under 500? CHECK

People can keep dreaming about a Rolston Campbell combo. We will not be getting any big name players unless we lose a big name player. We have limited cap space and who wants to come play for JM.

LOL at thinking our penalties are a mental thing. We put ourselves in a position to take penalties, i.e. sitting back and letting the play come to us, always protecting leads not trying to add to them, playing a passive game.

Our Defense is pretty good on paper. Our top line is not. If you think Campbell would be a better addition than a top-line forward then you're delusional.

Olesz's career high is nothing to brag about. He is still underperfroming. Bouw has a terrible assist total for a guy who plays 30 minutes a night.

Old
04-08-2008, 11:52 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
I've explained this system a million times. search my past posts, you obviously don't understand or see it or else you know what I'm talking about.

The best defense is a good offense. No wonder you like JM.

Most shots against? CHECK
Don't generate enough PPs? CHECK
Don't show up for every game?CHECK

Under 500? CHECK

People can keep dreaming about a Rolston Campbell combo. We will not be getting any big name players unless we lose a big name player. We have limited cap space and who wants to come play for JM.

LOL at thinking our penalties are a mental thing. We put ourselves in a position to take penalties, i.e. sitting back and letting the play come to us, always protecting leads not trying to add to them, playing a passive game.

Our Defense is pretty good on paper. Our top line is not. If you think Campbell would be a better addition than a top-line forward then you're delusional.

Olesz's career high is nothing to brag about. He is still underperfroming. Bouw has a terrible assist total for a guy who plays 30 minutes a night.
All of that is because we play to much of our game in our own zone. When teams keep cycling and cycling the puck in our zone, penalties are bound to happen. Shots on goal are affected by our "pretty good" defense. And when you cant make that first outlet pass, and they have to cycle through the neutral zone or regroup back in our own zone, that totally affects our offensive attack.

And how is our penalties not a mental thing? I guess when the players admit iy and the so called "experts" admit it also, they dont know what they are talking about either. Its simple, better teams make better decisions. Hookinglholding penalties are lack of concentration more than anything. "LOL"

And if you want a top line player for Olli, how is that going to happen if, "We will not be getting any big name players unless we lose a big name player." You know that this team will be almost $20 million under the cap this offseason, even more if they can get rid of some guys like Stumpel, Kilger, or Peltonen. Sure they have to sign some guys like Bouwmeester, Olesz, Kreps, but they still will have money to upgrade this team. Then there are trade options as well.

Again, you want to blame the system that Martin uses. But when asked about his system, I just get stats. Plus if you would read my previous post to the end, you would see that I dont think Martin should be the coach of this team. But he should be given another season as GM.

Last edited by pb1300: 04-08-2008 at 12:43 PM.
Old
04-08-2008, 12:41 PM
PanthersRule96

I'd be really happy with Liles, but honestly, we've been waiting for years for increased production from Horton, Olesz, Weiss, etc.... and the young guys we have. YOu can't bank on that. Sign someone who can put up some numbers now and when any of the young players show they're ready to step into an offensive role and be a star without pressure being placed on them, then you give them the role.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 01:05 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
I'd be really happy with Liles, but honestly, we've been waiting for years for increased production from Horton, Olesz, Weiss, etc.... and the young guys we have. YOu can't bank on that. Sign someone who can put up some numbers now and when any of the young players show they're ready to step into an offensive role and be a star without pressure being placed on them, then you give them the role.
horton's established himself as a 60+ point guy now. he's also stayed healthy (maybe we should get off his back *a little* for not throwing himself around like a lunatic? nah...) i think we can count on 30-35 goals and 60-70 pts from him. i'm ok, with that. olesz actually potted 14 in only 50 something games and showed signs of really becoming an impact player, if not a scorer. weiss and booth are doing fine. everybody on their line was +15. compare that to olli's -20. if the top line had done a better job or simply not had that huge minus, the team's in the playoffs. if the opportunity to bring someone in who can score right now presents itself and it makes sense in the bigger picture, sure - then you bring along the 3 F prospects as slow as necessary. if it's not there, though, it's not there. you still go for the help on the back end.

Old
04-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
Thank you. I'm optimistic for the future, but how many years in a row have we said, "Now is the time for Weiss, Horton, Olesz, so on and so forth to really step up into a high scoring role."

They will do that when they are ready, you can't force them to do it too soon. Look at Lecavalier and look at Jokinen. They found their scoring touch, but it took them a few years. Until the kids are ready to step up big, let's PLEASE get them some real scoring help up front.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 01:34 PM
Laus723
Future Now

A guy like Campbell makes bringing a player like Prospal much more valuable to this team. Not saying I want Prospal here, just that if we bring in a puck mover like Campbell would allow us to bring in a more affordable winger to play on a line with Olli.

04-08-2008, 01:37 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
All of that is because we play to much of our game in our own zone. When teams keep cycling and cycling the puck in our zone, penalties are bound to happen. Shots on goal are affected by our "pretty good" defense. And when you cant make that first outlet pass, and they have to cycle through the neutral zone or regroup back in our own zone, that totally affects our offensive attack.

And how is our penalties not a mental thing? I guess when the players admit iy and the so called "experts" admit it also, they dont know what they are talking about either. Its simple, better teams make better decisions. Hookinglholding penalties are lack of concentration more than anything. "LOL"

And if you want a top line player for Olli, how is that going to happen if, "We will not be getting any big name players unless we lose a big name player." You know that this team will be almost $20 million under the cap this offseason, even more if they can get rid of some guys like Stumpel, Kilger, or Peltonen. Sure they have to sign some guys like Bouwmeester, Olesz, Kreps, but they still will have money to upgrade this team. Then there are trade options as well.

Again, you want to blame the system that Martin uses. But when asked about his system, I just get stats. Plus if you would read my previous post to the end, you would see that I dont think Martin should be the coach of this team. But he should be given another season as GM.
good points. of course, mr god has no answers about JM's system. he wrote 5 paragraphs of elequent prose and still didn't come within a whiff of the truth. all we get is "passive defense first".

the comparison's to washington really miss the point as well. we have nowhere near the skill they have up front. the two teams couldn't be more different.

what JM's doing is trying to build a real team on top of an inexperienced young core he inherited. even if they don't like it, they need to develop an effective defensive posture. despite mr god's insistence otherwise, that's where you start. the work there isn't done and play we saw from the captain that this season isn't helping. the kids on this team need to prove they can outwork other teams consistently in their own end. when they do, they'll win more, make the playoffs and then we can all celebrate and have some peace (i.e., w/o every knucklehead in town yelling about "systems" they know nothing about). hell, even boudreau is coaching defense. if you don't think he is, you are the one who is crazy.

Old
04-08-2008, 01:41 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
Thank you. I'm optimistic for the future, but how many years in a row have we said, "Now is the time for Weiss, Horton, Olesz, so on and so forth to really step up into a high scoring role."

They will do that when they are ready, you can't force them to do it too soon. Look at Lecavalier and look at Jokinen. They found their scoring touch, but it took them a few years. Until the kids are ready to step up big, let's PLEASE get them some real scoring help up front.
we're doing ok right now. we scored more goals than 3 of the 8 playoff teams in the east. explain why we're sitting home and those 3 teams are in the playoffs and you'll have a better idea of what we really need.

Old
04-08-2008, 01:56 PM
KWGoon

Quote:
we're doing ok right now. we scored more goals than 3 of the 8 playoff teams in the east. explain why we're sitting home and those 3 teams are in the playoffs and you'll have a better idea of what we really need.
I like the idea of acquiring a puck moving d-man. It's obviously good for offense. Again, I don't have a problem with JM the GM. So we're doing ok in that department. But the problem why we're not in playoffs, while due to multiple reasons, as I start to peel the onion of problems, I start with layer 1, which IMO is JM the HC. Yormark, Jokinen, 1st line winger, etc. come after that.

KWGoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 02:28 PM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Quote:
good points. of course, mr god has no answers about JM's system. he wrote 5 paragraphs of elequent prose and still didn't come within a whiff of the truth. all we get is "passive defense first".

the comparison's to washington really miss the point as well. we have nowhere near the skill they have up front. the two teams couldn't be more different.

what JM's doing is trying to build a real team on top of an inexperienced young core he inherited. even if they don't like it, they need to develop an effective defensive posture. despite mr god's insistence otherwise, that's where you start. the work there isn't done and play we saw from the captain that this season isn't helping. the kids on this team need to prove they can outwork other teams consistently in their own end. when they do, they'll win more, make the playoffs and then we can all celebrate and have some peace (i.e., w/o every knucklehead in town yelling about "systems" they know nothing about). hell, even boudreau is coaching defense. if you don't think he is, you are the one who is crazy.
I'm glad you didn't dispute anything I wrote above.

As for the system...You have asked me multiple times and I have given you an answer. So go look it up. I'm not explaining it to you for the third time.

Old
04-08-2008, 02:30 PM
HockeySS19

I don't really know what to say.

First, a great defenseman may help prevent many losses by stopping the other team from scoring late in the game.

However, the puck is always deep in our zone putting us in that situation because our offense can't get the puck out and they can't keep the puck in the offensive zone.

Our fowards have massive troubles clearing the puck out of our zone, carrying the puck through the neutral zone, and keeping control of the puck in the offensive zone. A defenseman can't fix any of those, unless it's Bouwmeester who just does it all himself since no one on offense can. That does, however, leave us vulnerable on defense when he is down low trying to score.

True, you can look at our place in the standings and say "if we had a better defenseman, other teams may not have scored with one minute left to tie it up or win it, and we may be in the playoffs." But why put ourselves in that position in the first place? If we gain an offense that can control the puck, we won't ever have to worry about that. If our offense (today's) can't control the puck, then we have to really worry about the other team scoring late in the game because the puck will be in our zone for the last 15 minutes of the game.

HockeySS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Hemsky4PM

Joni Pitkanen is very available from the Oilers via trade this summer. He is a very good puck mover, 24 years old and an RFA this summer looking for 4-5M. The Oilers would be looking for a big scoring forward in return.

I don't think Campbell will go to Florida simply because they are further from being a contender than a lot of other teams (including the Sharks) who will be after him.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 03:04 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySS19 View Post

First, a great defenseman may help prevent many losses by stopping the other team from scoring late in the game.

However, the puck is always deep in our zone putting us in that situation because our offense can't get the puck out and they can't keep the puck in the offensive zone.

Our fowards have massive troubles clearing the puck out of our zone, carrying the puck through the neutral zone, and keeping control of the puck in the offensive zone. A defenseman can't fix any of those, unless it's Bouwmeester who just does it all himself since no one on offense can. That does, however, leave us vulnerable on defense when he is down low trying to score.

True, you can look at our place in the standings and say "if we had a better defenseman, other teams may not have scored with one minute left to tie it up or win it, and we may be in the playoffs." But why put ourselves in that position in the first place? If we gain an offense that can control the puck, we won't ever have to worry about that. If our offense (today's) can't control the puck, then we have to really worry about the other team scoring late in the game because the puck will be in our zone for the last 15 minutes of the game.
Adding someone like Campbell gives us another skilled Dman that can make that first stick on stick pass out of the zone, creating the offensive attack. Too many times in most of our games, its our Dmen having the issues moving the puck out of our zone, resulting into turnovers and shots against. The forwards have to backcheck as well, but its having that Dmen that can find Booth streaking down the left side, and hit him in stride, rather than that oh to often dump into the center of our own zone which lead to a bad scoring chance for the other team. You all have seen that way to much.

Do me a favor guys, watch the puck movement on defense in the playoffs, especially teams like Detroit, Anaheim, SJ, and you will see how much the defense helps create the offensive rush. Im not saying that we shouldnt add another forward. Im saying that Martin is right for going after another PMDman, as well as a forward.

Old
04-08-2008, 03:10 PM
Madhatter73

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySS19 View Post

Getting the puck out of our own zone is primarily the responsibility of a defenseman.

Getting the puck to a player traveling through the neutral zone is primarily the responsibility of a defenseman.

Keeping the puck in the offensive zone is primarily the responsibility of a defenseman.

Madhatter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 03:15 PM
Crossbar

Don't mind acquiring more offense on the blueline, just look at all the top teams in the league this season (Det - Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronvall, Stuart; Mon - Streit, Markov, Hamrlik; SJ - Campbell, Rivet, Ehrhoff; Ana - Niedermayer, Pronger, Schneider, Bergeron; Pit - Gonchar, Whitney, Letang) they all get good offensive contributions from their defense, which is usually where the plays are started from.

Crossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 03:26 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar View Post
Don't mind acquiring more offense on the blueline, just look at all the top teams in the league this season (Det - Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronvall, Stuart; Mon - Streit, Markov, Hamrlik; SJ - Campbell, Rivet, Ehrhoff; Ana - Niedermayer, Pronger, Schneider, Bergeron; Pit - Gonchar, Whitney, Letang) they all get good offensive contributions from their defense, which is usually where the plays are started from.
Agreed. Great points and examples.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote