HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2008, 01:29 PM
FreddtFoyle

vCash: 500
UNB Varsity Reds Thread

Maybe it is time to leave the CIS University Cup thread ...

I was the only semi-media guy at the UNB Men’s Hockey Seniors’ Banquet last night, so there’s a few things I can pass along. This is the second year in a row the banquet was held in this format, hosted by Brian Johnson and Kingswood in their beautiful lodge. Since this is now the occasion when graduating players get their team jersey and a plaque, and Gardiner has done his post-season interviews, you can be pretty certain that these guys are done:

• Rob Hennigar – will be signing a pro contract today. Official (and finally on-the-record) press conference is Wednesday or Thursday? Finished four years of school. Not aware if he has enough credits to graduate yet.
• Michael Ouzas – signed AHL ATO with the Toronto Marlies and started practicing with them yesterday. Graduated with BRSS in two years as he brought two years of credits with him.
• Brad Efthimiou – Completed his four-year Business degree in three years. Looking to play pro hockey in Europe before getting a real job.
• Nathan O’Nabigon – Graduating with his BBA after four years, although he has three courses to pick up over the summer.
• Denny Johnston – Completed his fifth year of eligibility, and will graduate with a cumulative 4.1 GPA. It was not discussed last night, but I’ve heard rumblings he’s planning on heading back west and going into grad school.
• Lucas Madill –Completed his fifth year of eligibility after first four years at McGill. Will still be at UNB finishing his Masters (MSESS) next year.
• Andreas Johannson – The Swede completed his BBA in three years. May play some pro back in Sweden.

So looks like Gardiner will be looking for at least seven recruits …

Old
04-10-2008, 10:18 AM
timbitca

Ewww V-Reds

Hennigar signed with the New York Islanders. WOOHOO!! And I don't say that only because he'll be out of our hair next year, but I'm genuinely happy to see somehow from the CIS (and especially AUS) sign a pro contract. And this guy has a chance to make the Isles eventually, or at least have a very good career in the AHL.

Didn't know Ouzas had signed already too, another hurrah!

The rest aren't surprising, as they all finished their eligibility. I wonder if there's any chance more will leave?

Old
04-12-2008, 10:07 AM
kexodusc

FreddtFoyle, can you use your supermedia powers to find out if the ice problem at the AUC is going to be resolved before next season?

Old
04-14-2008, 08:14 PM
timbitca

That'd be a good one too... don't know what kind of condition it was to play on, but it looked nasty :p

And from what I heard from V-Reds and AUC personnel over the winter, it won't be fixed anytime soon. From what I hear, it's total roof job that needs to be done, and runs over a million.

Old
04-15-2008, 02:23 PM
kexodusc

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
That'd be a good one too... don't know what kind of condition it was to play on, but it looked nasty :p

And from what I heard from V-Reds and AUC personnel over the winter, it won't be fixed anytime soon. From what I hear, it's total roof job that needs to be done, and runs over a million.
The rumour I've heard is that the roof isn't the cause of the ice woes, AFAIK it's piping issue below the surface. But rumours run a plenty when there's any kind of issue and more often than not the truth is more boring and less of a headline than the juicy rumours.

Besides..It's part of our secret strategy to make wonky ice that only VReds players can familiarize themselves with, to learn the puck bounces. Gives us an edge to compete against those teams made to play on their Olympic ice surfaces, and neutralizes the advantage of below-standard sized rinks with irregular corners and end boards like the LBR and JLL.

Old
04-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kexodusc View Post
The rumour I've heard is that the roof isn't the cause of the ice woes, AFAIK it's piping issue below the surface. But rumours run a plenty when there's any kind of issue and more often than not the truth is more boring and less of a headline than the juicy rumours.

Besides..It's part of our secret strategy to make wonky ice that only VReds players can familiarize themselves with, to learn the puck bounces. Gives us an edge to compete against those teams made to play on their Olympic ice surfaces, and neutralizes the advantage of below-standard sized rinks with irregular corners and end boards like the LBR and JLL.
Oh, what I wouldn't give to have Aigles move to the 4-Ice for a while so the University can blow up the J-Louis or just completely renovate the 44 year old barn.

Old
04-15-2008, 05:48 PM
kexodusc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Oh, what I wouldn't give to have Aigles move to the 4-Ice for a while so the University can blow up the J-Louis or just completely renovate the 44 year old barn.
Other than bruises I get on my shins from the tight seating, it's not so bad. Waaaaaay better than The Forum.

Old
04-15-2008, 09:27 PM
timbitca

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo. Don't move the Aigles. Not unless it's into a new arena of our own anyways. I love the JLL, it's like a shrine to the Aigles Bleus :p Here's how I'd rate the rinks in the AUS:
Aitken Center - Great place, even better staff VERY classy bunch of people there. And there's nothing like taking 2 points from the Reds at their place
Acadia Arena - Very nice rink.
Keating Millenium Center - Awesome from the outside, bleh inside.
Jean Louis Levesque - Home away from home.
MacLauchlan Arena - Nice place, about as cold as you can get in the upper sections.
LBR - For some reason, it doesn't seem as intimidating as it was 10 years ago as a 12 year old, but that wall is something else.
Halifax Forum - Old building, has it's charms but freezing also
Dal Plex - Can't stand it, dressing rooms seem to date from the 20's.

Honourable mentions go to Alumni Arena (you ever seen those boards kexodusc?) on campus at SMU.

Old
04-17-2008, 10:12 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
WHAT?! There is nothing wrong with the JLL that a little paint wouldn't spruce up. It is a good university rink and I understand it has good ice. Why change it? It's not like they sell out every game and need more seats ...

Old
04-17-2008, 10:19 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kexodusc View Post
FreddtFoyle, can you use your supermedia powers to find out if the ice problem at the AUC is going to be resolved before next season?
I haven't talked to Kevin Dickie about it lately but I know it was on his radar. My understanding, not from him, is that there are issues with the ice plant and visible issues ice issue in the west end of the rink which I think are pipe leaks (coolant?) which I remember was an issue a few years ago. At that time it was explained to me that there was too much weight on the floor from a truck show or something and pipes got cracked. That was before Kevin came on board.

As for the roof leaks, that is an issue when there is ice buildup on the roof and then you have a lot of rain on top of that. Apparently the water doesn't drain properly due to ice fill, so it pools on then roof and then creeps under the roofing. I had something similar happen to my carport roof this winter. I know they plan to deal with this issue, but I don't know how or when.

David

Old
04-18-2008, 07:19 AM
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
WHAT?! There is nothing wrong with the JLL that a little paint wouldn't spruce up. It is a good university rink and I understand it has good ice. Why change it? It's not like they sell out every game and need more seats ...
Yeah, I love the rows of 46 seats so your always standing to let someone in our out of thier seats. I love the penalty boxes with no glass, I love the posts in the way if you stand. It's a good rink but the seating and the glass have to be updated and it smells like mold is in every crevice.
All, I'm saying is move to the 4-Ice (just minutes away) for a year (the capacity is about the same and the same seating configuration) and give the grand ol' J-Louis a good cleaning, re-do the seating, boards and glass. It feels and smells like a basement.
Oldest rink in Greater Moncton and it's been a long while since anything's been spent on it.

Last edited by Alpine: 04-18-2008 at 07:41 AM.
Old
04-18-2008, 03:38 PM
timbitca

Mold? I'v never smelled mold in the rink before... and what your wishing for isn't going to happen anytime soon, trust me on that one :p

Old
04-22-2008, 01:35 PM
FreddtFoyle

Ice is out at AUC

Happened to be over to the AUC today and the ice is out and they are working on fixing those problem coolant pipes in the west end of the rink (below the Colter Room).

David

Old
04-29-2008, 02:44 PM
timbitca

http://universitysport.ca/e/m_icehoc...l.cfm?id=11864
Quote:
Tchoualack, Hennigar named CIS athletes of the year

CALGARY (CIS) - University of Montreal volleyball player Laetitia Tchoualack and University of New Brunswick hockey player Rob Hennigar are the 2007-08 Canadian Interuniversity Sport female and male athletes of the year.
Cool. At least it's someone from the AUS, only the second time it's happened and the first male athlete to get it

Old
05-23-2008, 11:29 PM
eraserhead

UNB should sign a big-time bodychecker to replace Perry. He was so fun to watch (a hip-check every three minutes). In fact, we have a lot of roles we need to fill. Luckily, Tremblay seems able to fill the role Hennigar leaves open, it's just I'm unsure how much of his success was on account of Hennigar.

Old
06-06-2008, 07:01 AM
FreddtFoyle

UNB announces Hockey "Grand Slam"

A bit of a double-post, but I feel it is important to post it here as well:

At a ceremony last night the UNB Varsity Reds announced what coach Gardiner MacDougall characterized as "the best ever CIS non-conference schedule" for the upcoming 2008-09 hockey season.

UNB's 12-game non-conference schedule will feature four key home games they are branding a "Grand Slam". On September 24th the NY Islander rookie squad will play the V-Reds at the Aitken University Centre (AUC), most likely with UNB graduate and CIS male-athlete-of-the-year Rob Hennigar in the line-up. Last season UNB beat the the Islander squad 3-1 at their training camp in Moncton.

On Saturday, October 12th the Maine Black Bears will make their first visit to the AUC since their program became a national contender. Maine AD Blake James made the trip from Orono for the occasion in order to formalize the announcement that UNB and Maine will now play annually (they've played the last two years in Orono) and in accordance with NCAA international travel regulations the Black Bears will play the annual game in Fredericton every fourth year. James noted that it only took him two and a half hours to get to Fredericton "without speeding too much" and UNB would/could represent Maine's closest future "rival", as arch-rival New Hampshire is Maine's closest Division 1 competitor at just over three hours away. Additionally UNB Director of Athletics Kevin Dickie stated that UNB and Maine's other varsity sports teams plan to make more regular cross-border trips.

Finally, and not least, the NCAA champion Boston College Eagles will be making their first visit to Fredericton since coach Jerry York was a rookie player with the team to play the V-Reds for two games on January 2 and 3, 2009. This apparently marks the first occasion a reigning NCAA champion has traveled to play in Canada the season immediately after winning their championship.

David

Old
06-06-2008, 10:14 AM
vredsfan

UNB varsity Reds thread

Exciting news for UNB fans!

David, go to bed!

Old
06-06-2008, 10:44 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by eraserhead View Post
UNB should sign a big-time bodychecker to replace Perry. <snip>
That would be Chris "Freight Train" Hodgson for the next couple of years!

Old
06-06-2008, 11:27 AM
vredsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredsfan View Post
Exciting news for UNB fans!

David, go to bed!
Sorry, as a newbie I thought the time of your post was local time - but it obviously isn't. You can stay up!

Old
06-09-2008, 03:50 PM
Bob Stauffer

"Toughest ever Non-Conference sked"
Old UNB the masters of the hyperbole!
Alberta may play three NHL rookie teams in successive nights in September and then gets Denver, Colorado College and Air Force in three games in three nights in October.
Might give UNB a run for that honour.

Oh by the way, looks like the Pirates from the Atlantic are raiding the West again.
UNB has picked up both Daine Todd and now defenceman Bretton Staemler out of the WHL.
Todd has skill and finished up with a ppg with Medicine Hat this season, and Staemler who is from Edmonton, was miscast as a captain in Edmonton with the expansion Oil Kings before playing in Swift Current this season.

Funny how a school that can't support women's hockey; has enough money to give out "leadership" awards to recruits from across the country.

Old
06-10-2008, 06:38 AM
FreddtFoyle

Come on Bob, not every Albertan want to breathe hydrocarbons and some want to come out east and enjoy the laid-back Maritime lifestyle.

Besides, we've lost too many of our young people lured west by the eco-dirty dollar of the oil patch ...

David

Old
06-10-2008, 06:43 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob "Total Hockey" View Post
"Toughest ever Non-Conference sked"
Old UNB the masters of the hyperbole!
Okay, I'll give you that one. I didn't craft that quote ... that's Gardiner's own words that I thought were worth repeating. I would have preferred something a little less hyperbolic, but hey, he's the coach.

Old
06-10-2008, 07:58 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Come on Bob, not every Albertan want to breathe hydrocarbons and some want to come out east and enjoy the laid-back Maritime lifestyle.

Besides, we've lost too many of our young people lured west by the eco-dirty dollar of the oil patch ...

David
Exactly. I grew up in Freddy Beach and now live in Calgary. As yet another homesick maritimer I completely understand the move by both Todd and Stamler.

In saying that I will add one thing: Someone had better get these two some snow shovels...

Old
06-10-2008, 12:28 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post

In saying that I will add one thing: Someone had better get these two some snow shovels...
So true! Some of the western guys were quite overwhelmed by the amount of snow we had out here last winter ...

Old
06-10-2008, 12:32 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
So true! Some of the western guys were quite overwhelmed by the amount of snow we had out here last winter ...
It's not for the faint of heart, that's for sure. People out here freak out when there's 5 C.M. coming down. They have no concept of some of the storms I used to live (And drive) through.

Closed Thread