HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2011-12 CIS Regular Season & Results

Old
10-06-2011, 09:32 AM
cishockeyfan

vCash: 500
2011-12 CIS Regular Season & Results

I wanted to get this going in preperation for next week Regular Season Starting.

Heres is some of my season Predictions, as rosters have taking shape.

AUS Regular Season Predictions.

Big News at UNB is the surprising Return of Captain Kyle Bailey will help make the lineup stronger after the loss of all time leading Scorer Hunter Tremblay. The Defense baring injuries is the best top 7 in the Country. The Goaltending is stronger with the addition of Dan Lacosta. The Forwards will be a work in progress, Talent wise UNB is probably as deep on forward then theyve ever been, the question is how long will the rookies take to gel with the remaining veterans, and who will step up to be a go to sniper in the absence of Tremblay. With Bailey Returning deepens the UNB lines hugely.

St FX already returning a Great team, have raised the bar Higher with the commitment of Centerman Mike Kirkpatrick, they will be good very good. In fact I would say they are so good that if UNB did not get Kyle Bailey back at the same time X got commitment from Kirkpatrick I would have said that was enough to make them the favorite for the University Cup this Year.

Acadia will be solid, St Mary's had a huge turnover based on Big Name Players, but Trevor Steinburgh also brought in big names, they will take some time to work out the kinks based on their pre season results. On Paper dalhousie should improve again under Beliveau, but their pre season results show their weakness on defense seems to be an issue. I don't see UPEI as any better than last year or any worse. I havent heard much in names for U de M, but they had some decent pre season results. St Thomas will certainly be improved and will continue to do so game by game under their new Coach hes on the right track, but I think he will find out the leagues tougher than he thought. STU still needs that go to Guy, I thought Sanza may be it from what I heard, but seeing him in action live, he didnt really stand out.

Standings Predictions
1. UNB (Too Strong overall, to not finish first in the regular season)
2. St FX (X will give UNB all they can handle all year...March may be their time?)
3. Acadia
4. St Mary's
5. Dalhousie
6. UPEI
7. Moncton
8. St Thomas

I don't know alot about the OUA teams yet, however it seems the OUA West teams are becoming more balanced each year top to bottom.

McGill will continue to be strong, their experience and success at Nationals will help them, UQTR seems to have recruited their way back to being a favorite in this conference. Im expecting a much improved Nippising team who have quickly become a solid CIS Team in terms of their overall organization. What continues to haunt the OUA east, is the lack of good teams in the division, I think this has hurt the Mcgill's and UQTR's in past seasons, they get too many easy games to pad their statistics. I think Verreault-Paul is a talented player, put he would not have put up the numbers he did last year in the Canada West, AUS or for that matter playing in the OUA West

Canada West
I think this is the Year Calgary Steps up, and I believe they have the best team in the Canada West to be built to go a long way. They will give Alberta all they can handle for Home Ice Advantage throughout the West Playoffs and that is key in this league, Looking at the Bisions to finish Third, Saskatchewan to finish 4th, but I wouldnt be surprised to see Lethbridge be the 4th team in the playoffs. UBC and Regina have no chance to make the playoffs in this conference until the League probably goes back to 6 teams next year with the addition of Mount Royal

Favorites to win the University Cup, UNB, St FX, Calgary, Alberta, McGill

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 10:22 AM
FreddtFoyle

Good time to start this thread because the games have already started for real outside of the AUS.

Sep. 30
Manitoba 2 Calgary 0
Saskatchewan 5 Lethbridge 2

Oct. 1
Ottawa 2 Nipissing 5
Saskatchewan Lethbridge Postponed
End 2nd, suspended. The 3rd period will be completed at a date yet to be determined. (Huskies were up 3-0 at time)
Manitoba 2 Calgary 0 Final

Last edited by FreddtFoyle: 10-06-2011 at 11:48 AM.
FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:52 PM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
Good time to start this thread because the games have already started for real outside of the AUS.

Sep. 30
Manitoba 2 Calgary 0
Saskatchewan 5 Lethbridge 2

Oct. 1
Ottawa 2 Nipissing 5
Saskatchewan Lethbridge Postponed
End 2nd, suspended. The 3rd period will be completed at a date yet to be determined. (Huskies were up 3-0 at time)
Manitoba 2 Calgary 0 Final
uhhhhhhhh.......is it to late to take back my prediction order of Calgary and Manitoba? Sorry Hollywood i shouldnt have judged yet, good results by the Bisons

What would cause the Lethbridge/Saskatchewan game to be cancelled after 2 Periods? Power, or mass Fighting?

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:28 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
What would cause the Lethbridge/Saskatchewan game to be cancelled after 2 Periods? Power, or mass Fighting?
Apparently a problem with the Zamboni and hydraulic fluid all over the ice. The game is postponed, and they will play the deciding third period at a mutually acceptable time and date.

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 07:28 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

The CW returns to a 6 team playoff format this year. 3 and 4 host the quarter-finals. 1 and 2 host the semi-finals. I have a fear that this is the year where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. But we'll see.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 10:16 PM
lakeheadu

Pretty excited to see how Lakehead matches up with McGill this weekend. McGill looks like they played fairly well against the NCAA teams. Based on our past matchups with them, we always had the same or better skill level, but far less size. This year we got a lot bigger, particularly on D, so hopefully we will be in for a couple of very competitive games.

lakeheadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 11:09 PM
Ched
Fueled by Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
The Defense baring injuries is the best top 7 in the Country. The
I, admittedly, am not that familiar with the UNB defence and acknowledge that they must be very good, but i must say that the Manitoba Bisons have a scary top 8 or 9 defence.

Dane Crowley
Jeremy Schappert
Myles Rumsey
Chad Erb
Travis Mealy
Tyler Schmidt
Brandon Lockerby
Travis Bobbee
Darren Bestland

wow. 9 WHL defencemen, 2 NHL draft picks, lots of CIS experience. This defence has offence, is big, mean and physical and back to back shutouts against the highly touted Calgary squad must say something.

Ched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 05:23 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

UNB is returning their top 7 defencemen (Shutron/Gallant/Stamler/Harty/Kidd/Wright/Corcoran) from a team that allowed 43 GA in 28 conference game last season...the only defencemen they lost was Josh Hepditch and he switched between forward and 'D' throughout the season. 4 of those 7 (Shutron/Stamler/Kidd/Wright) were NHL draft picks and all 7 have played in the CHL (although Corcoran only played 98 games in the Q). Based on last season's defensive record and the fact that they are returning everyone I would still give UNB the nod as best 'D' top to bottom in the country, however I don't think anyone would argue that Manitoba doesn't belong right up there near the top.

UNB Bruins Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 06:09 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Red Stars of MHL will play in NA, schedule includs also teams of NAHL.
schedule of Red Stars in NA. Do you have info about opponents?

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 05:52 PM
lakeheadu

I just read that Coach Scherban suspended Caria/McDonald/Magill/Carrick for next weekend's series vs Ottawa, on top of the game that they missed vs Michigan Tech. I'm glad that he was at least smart enough to realize that we can't beat McGill this weekend without Caria/McDonald.

Carrick and Fillman are also suspended for tonight's game for their "fighting" incident vs UQTR. Fillman has been the star on D from what I have watched and heard, but I think that we are pretty deep (although young) on the blueline for once.

Old
10-07-2011, 06:55 PM
thook

I think scherban has proved his point. He is going to lose the room or players if he doesn't back off! I think pete rubbed off on him a bit too much.

thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 10:31 PM
lakeheadu

The Lakehead/McGill game was decent when the ref would let them play. Too bad that wasn't very often. I can't stand Brewer and wish that we could get refs from out of town to do the games. Constant penalties to both sides in the first two periods totally ruined the flow of the game. We had it all over them in the 3rd period (17-2 shots apparently) but couldn't capitalize on our scoring chances, missing a couple of empty net tap ins essentially.

McGill didn't have a ton of great scoring chances, but they buried all of the ones that they got. Their power play also looked so much better than ours even though we scored 1 PPG and they were 0/9. They got a goal shorthanded 3 on 5 which really cost us, but our guys have to take the blame for not executing when they had the chance to.

Old
10-07-2011, 11:42 PM
blackmarketmob

Laurier downed tonight by Nipissing 5-4. Laurier was up 3-0 and looked good, but we lacking depth on defence tonight. Captain Kyle Van De Bospoort did not play and recent recruit Chad Lowry could not either, so they had to go with 5 defencemen. Midway through the first Zack Shepley had a skate problem, so Laurier was down to 4 defencemen, 2 of them being their 6 and 7 defencemen, who only had junior A and B experience between them. They also lost one defencemen for 10 minutes after a hitting from behind call which led to a very short bench. I believe Lowry was suspended after a fight against Windsor, the suspension may skip the preseason and be applied against the regular season, but I am not sure. Hopefully he is back tomorrow as the defence was not good enough tonight.

The game tonight went with a 2 referee system, the first time I have seen that in an OUA game and a very good move. There is constantly so much being missed when one referee has to deal with junk going on behind the play on top of regular duties.

blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 11:55 PM
lakeheadu

Yes, the OUA makes them sit out regular season (or playoff) games. When Manitoba was here for our Christmas tourney a couple of years ago, there were two fights and their guys only had to sit out the following night (exhibition game in the tourney), while ours had to sit out our first game back in OUA play after the break. You would think that the conferences could deal with these things in some sort of consistent manner.

Old
10-09-2011, 05:20 AM
SnipeShow91

RMC 2 at Western 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJmkcBVt5WM

RMC 3 at Ryerson 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-fJAJfXo3U

Last edited by SnipeShow91: 10-09-2011 at 07:30 PM.
SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:13 PM
Squirrel Forever

V-Reds take season opener

The V-Reds beat the X-Men 3-1 in front of 3,345 fans at the AUC. Final shots were 31-22 for the V-Reds

Squirrel Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:22 PM
AUS Fan

Dal 2 Stu 1

Entertaining tilt tonight. Good effort by STU, PP kinda sloppy, Lavigne his usual self.

STU still have a long way to go but I feel they will compete every night and improve over last year.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 10:22 PM
Island Husky

Smu 2 Upei 5

A kind of slow, low urgency game, but the kind PEI will win. SMU led 1-0 in the first, a shorthanded, nice breakaway deke by Stickland, after stealing the puck on the UPEI Def at the blueline. PEI tied it up and went ahead 3-1 in the second, lots of penalties, Wallingford got called on a visor infraction, got 10 minutes, very shortly thereafter Bloodoff ran someone in the corner up around the head area, he got 2 and 10 but returned later. Five penalites for SMU one for PEI in the first, overall about 9-4with the two referees, doesn't bode well for you visitors when both are Island based! I can't really support that though. Anyway, in the third Wharton took five and a game with a two hand chop to MacIssac who had a breakaway. It wasn't damaging at all, but very ugly...very stupid, and extremely obvious. Nevertheless, SMU killed it well, then scored on their own PP, Parker Deighan from the point, good for him, his first game and at home in front of the family. Then Knox scored on a breakaway, with one hand deked Conway as he ( Knox) was being pulled down. PEI executed the classic up to the blueline pass, split the D, and .....well with Knox's speed......gone... A empty netter with a few seconds was the last.
SMu started well, not characteristic of them, especially over here, but the injuries and the depleted Def, were telling by the third. For their part, PEI didn't appear to be much better, despite a full lineup from what I can see. Carter scored on a nice goal, but otherwise did not appear dominant at all, did not skate the way he normally does. Same for Gomes, much more controlled play from both of them, not so much dazzle. SMU definitely has a finishing problem, pucks flying off sticks from passes, missing the passes, and no fight in front of the net. PEI was much better in that regard, they might have missed the net, or hit the goalie, but they finished better. Their second goal was a very pretty three way passing arrangement that burned the two SMU D.

Island Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 11:34 PM
Rob

Manitoba 5 Alberta 4

Watched the second part of this game online. Alberta had a 5-3 for 4 minutes in the second and did not score. Pretty nasty game as well. Will try to catch some of it tomorrow night.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 11:49 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
Red Stars of MHL will play in NA, schedule includs also teams of NAHL.
schedule of Red Stars in NA. Do you have info about opponents?
None of the CIS teams have played a NAHL team in my memory.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 02:32 AM
SnipeShow91

York Lions 3 @ RMC Paladins 4 (SO)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PogBh-w4Hws

Old
10-15-2011, 12:28 PM
nosl

Western 4
Nipissing 5

tirs de barrage / shootout

Les Lakers étaient en arrière 4-1 lorsqu'on retire le gardien Cantlon pour ensuite remonter pour gagner le matche 5-4.

Lakers were behind 4-1 when they pull the goalie Cantlon then come back & win the game 5-4

Petite foule malheureusement.
Small crowd though: 1300.

nosl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 09:12 PM
Squirrel Forever

V-Reds defeated SMU 3-1

34-21 were the final shots, SMU did not look great, but UNB was also sloppy at times.

Squirrel Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 09:20 PM
AUS Fan

Sfx 5 Upei 2

I happened to be on the Island tonight so I saw the game. SFX looked pretty good, UPEI less so. Several UPEI turnovers resulted in scoring chances for X. Carter was all but invisible, Knox was running around quite a bit, Wall didn't impress. I know it's early, but SFX looks like the real deal.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 10:13 PM
SnipeShow91

RMC won their 2nd game in a row over UOIT 3-2. Yes, you read that right, RMC is 2-2 for the season.