HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2009, 11:11 PM
AUS Fan

vCash: 500
UNB has also stolen Luke Lynes from under the Christmas tree

I'm informed that UNB stole him from DAL after Pete had him all but wrapped up.
In other AUS news, Stienburg made his return behind the bench in a 6-2 win over DAL. SMU lost Ryan Rorabeck after a cheap hit from DAL captain Tyler Dyck. Unfortunate, because this was Ryans first game in a year after blowing out his knee at SFX last year at this time in exhibition. Dyck got a Match and game for the hit.

Old
01-04-2009, 06:29 AM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
In other AUS news, Stienburg made his return behind the bench in a 6-2 win over DAL. SMU lost Ryan Rorabeck after a cheap hit from DAL captain Tyler Dyck. Unfortunate, because this was Ryans first game in a year after blowing out his knee at SFX last year at this time in exhibition. Dyck got a Match and game for the hit.
No word on the exhibition game in the Halifax paper. Did SMU dominate from the get go? Did SMU or DAL pick up anyone for second half run?

Old
01-04-2009, 06:55 AM
kexodusc

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
Word is there were a few other teams he was talking to as well, hoping and expecting him to show up, so I get the impression Dal wasn't the only other school a bit disappointed he chose UNB. Sometimes you, sometimes you lose.

Old
01-04-2009, 07:02 AM
kexodusc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espher View Post

A question for those on the "teens" side of the ice -- was the play leading up to the third BC goal offside or not? I couldn't tell for sure since the play was close to the boards, but from our vantage point it didn't seem like the BC player had control carrying in or followed the puck in. The goal it led to was pretty nice. :p
I sit right along the blue line and that play was very offside. They argued a bit but sometimes the calls go against you.
Quote:
As an aside, are we having a refereeing crisis in New Brunswick (or Fredericton, at least)? I mean, if the best we can field for these two contests are Scott Lockhart and Thayer Doyle, I fear for the future of New Brunswick officiating.
Normally those two make me cringe, but they did a good job of staying out of the game when at all possible this weekend. The odd iffy interference or soft hook (I'm sure Bowman's still scratching his head on two) but nothing like the disasters we saw vs Maine.

Old
01-04-2009, 08:25 AM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
No word on the exhibition game in the Halifax paper. Did SMU dominate from the get go? Did SMU or DAL pick up anyone for second half run?
Not really dominated. Chipped away with a goal here and there. Dal brought in some guy named Frank. Don't know where he played, but he didn't look too bad.

Old
01-04-2009, 09:37 AM
kexodusc

Wonder if that might be Shawn Frank, formerly of the Barrie Colts? He wasn't getting much time there and was either released or left the team a while back.

Old
01-04-2009, 09:41 AM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
Quote:
Originally Posted by kexodusc View Post
Normally those two make me cringe, but they did a good job of staying out of the game when at all possible this weekend. The odd iffy interference or soft hook (I'm sure Bowman's still scratching his head on two) but nothing like the disasters we saw vs Maine.
I'll give them that this time around.

Old
01-04-2009, 10:00 AM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Wonder if that might be Shawn Frank, formerly of the Barrie Colts? He wasn't getting much time there and was either released or left the team a while back.

Probably based on the following.

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/Art...aspx?e=1257754

Shawn Frank about leaving Colts
Veteran forward decides to leave club and head out east to school
Posted By IAN SHANTZ
Posted 2 months ago

Shawn Frank has waved goodbye to the Ontario Hockey League.

The third-year Barrie Colts centre informed the team's head coach, Marty Williamson, that he intended to part ways with the club last week.

He confirmed his decision last night.

"I told him that I'd give him until the weekend to reconsider, and he phoned me (last) night," Williamson said yesterday. "He's going to school out east."

Frank had missed the early part of this season due to injury, appearing in just five games. He did not join the Colts for a pair of games this past weekend.

Barrie's sixth-round pick in the 2005 Priority Selection appeared in 51 games his first season, recording two goals and four assists. Last season, he potted eight goals and 18 assists, which could be considered disappointing second-year totals.

This season, the Thornhill native was given limited ice time and collected one assist in five games, disappointing production that may have led to his departure.

"I think that's what he saw, that maybe he'd reached the end of the line," said Williamson, adding "he's a real good character kid, but I don't think the effect (of is departure) on the hockey team will be that big."

Old
01-04-2009, 03:14 PM
MESSMAN11*

Somewhat off-topic but I was wondering were a couple of ex V-reds are now,
Ryan Lindsay,Craig Mahon,Troy Stonier, Andy Leblanc, Jamie Blom, Ryan Mockler, Matt Doherty, Andrew DeSousa, Calvin Watson, and the Hegbergs????
Just wondering because I didn't here any thing baout them after they finished up there UNB Carrer

Old
01-08-2009, 08:06 AM
FreddtFoyle

Luke Lynes

Bill Hunt has a feature article today in the Daily Gleaner on the newest V-Red, Luke Lynes: http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/s...article/533380

A few days back I found a story from the Washington Post back in 2006 when Lynes was playing junior: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...070400967.html

Old
01-08-2009, 08:11 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MESSMAN11 View Post
Ryan Lindsay,Craig Mahon,Troy Stonier, Andy Leblanc, Jamie Blom, Ryan Mockler, Matt Doherty, Andrew DeSousa, Calvin Watson, and the Hegbergs????
Just wondering because I didn't here any thing baout them after they finished up there UNB Carrer
Off the top of my head Calvin Watson and his wife Emily were teaching and coaching at a private Christian school in Saskatchewan and the Hegbergs were both involved with coaching the Drumheller Dragons of the AJHL. Andrew deSousa apparently was looking at a police career back in BC. Craig Mahon was playing minor pro hockey, but not sure if he still is.

Old
01-09-2009, 08:48 PM
FreddtFoyle

Varsity Reds 5 - Axemen 1

Friday, January 9, 2009
UNB 5 – Acadia 1

The University of New Brunswick Varsity Reds first AUS conference hockey game since November 29 saw them extend their winning streak to six games as they beat the visiting Acadia Axemen 5-1 in a game that was close until the third period. There were 2567 fans at the Aitken University Centre to take in the match that had a physical edge all night, despite the fact the Acadia and UNB are the two least penalized teams in the conference.

After each team had a power play early in the period, Acadia’s Nathan Welton (Cole Harbour, NS) took a four minute double minor for high sticking Kevin Henderson (Toronto, ON) in the slot. UNB was unable to score on the first two minutes of the power play, and saw the man advantage nullified when Rob Pearce (Fredericton, NB) got tagged for goaltender interference while driving the net. Just over a minute after the teams were back to five on five hockey, after taking a long stretch pass through the neutral zone from defenceman David Bowman (St. Catharines, ON), rookie power forward Chris Hodgson (Fredericton, NB) flew down the left side of the ice and fired a shot through the five hole of rookie Acadia netminder Kristofer Westblom (Meadow Lake, SK) at 12:46 for the first goal of the game. At 15:59 former St. Thomas University player and UNB newcomer Justin McCutcheon (Ithaca, NY) and Acadia’s Paul Kucerba (Calgary, AB) got into a tussle behind the Axemen net and each drew double-minors for roughing. Later at 17:57 there was a scrum in front of the UNB net that saw Acadia’s Zach MacMillan (Brandon, MB) go down, and then get into a pushing match with a linesmen as he tried to get to his feet in the crowd. There was no penalty on the play and MacMillan had to be assisted off the ice as left the game in obvious pain. UNB outshot Acadia 15-5 in the period.

Soon after UNB killed off a penalty Acadia tied the game at 8:46 of the second period when rookie Jonathon Laberge (Ste.-Foy, QC) on the rush held onto the puck long enough to freeze UNB’s Derek Yeomans (St. Albert, AB) before beating him top shelf for his 11th goal of the season. Less than a minute after Chris Hodgson almost got the go ahead goal when his shot hit the right post, UNB’s puck control got the Axemen running around in their zone and defenceman Bretton Stamler (Edmonton, AB) beat Westblom with a quick wrister to restore the lead. In a reversal, Acadia outshot UNB 11 to 5 in the middle period.

In the third period UNB’s Ryan Seymour (Fredericton, NB) stripped the puck from an Acadia defenceman, lost the puck, and then John Scott Dickson (Barrie, ON) stole the puck back and passed it to Seymour for the wrist shot and goal for the wildest play of the game at 4:22. Kevin Henderson, with his back to the goalie, used a no-look tip on a Kyle Bailey (Ponoka, AB) shot to beat Westblom and extend UNB’s lead at 7:26. After some more rough stuff at 15:19 that saw UNB end up on the power play, Henderson was at the back door for the easy tap-in goal after the Varsity Reds finally got their power play performing well at 16:13. There was some more pushing and shoving with two minutes to go that drew a crowd to UNB’s Jonathan Harty (Oromocto, NB) and put Acadia on the power play to finish the game, but they couldn’t find the back of the net. Shots in the third period were 13-4 for UNB, who outshot Acadia 33-20 on the night.

The final score was 5-1 with the player of the game award going to UNB’s Kevin Henderson. With the win UNB stayed in a first place tie with Saint Mary’s. The Varsity Reds host the Dalhousie Tigers Saturday night at 7:00 p.m.

Old
01-09-2009, 11:22 PM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
I'm interested in finding out what, exactly, happened with that altercation with the linesman.

He seemed to have a few choice words for the official as he left the ice.

Old
01-10-2009, 07:21 AM
kexodusc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espher View Post
I'm interested in finding out what, exactly, happened with that altercation with the linesman.

He seemed to have a few choice words for the official as he left the ice.
First time I've ever seen such a spirited tussle between official and player in the AUS (well, since the infamous Moncton/PEI incident anyway).

Looked like the linesman was doing his job trying to isolate the player from the scrum (and goalie), I saw Zach MacMillan push the linesman back blindly - hard to describe but he was already on the ice and I think he thought he was being roughed by a UNB player and in the heat of the moment was protecting himself...the linesman obviously took exception to being mauled or resisted and further fortified his position - what else is he supposed to do? He won the battle. MacMillan was in a bad spot and may have been hurt because of that. Hopefully it isn't serious.

Dunno who's at fault here, it seemed accidental and I don't think either meant to get involved with the other. A player should never strike or contact a linesman, and in any league I've known that's an automatic suspension. I'm sure Acadia's bench will question the linesman's restraint because a player is injured. I'd like to see where this goes.

As for the game...chippy.
Nice to see McCutcheon oblige Kucerba and box his ears to the ice, when the sticks come up and teams take liberty with your forwards you've got to respond. I hated him in Green but he's doing his job in Red. I guess if you lose 1 glove it's still not a fighting major?

Acadia's game plan seemed to be to take the ice away and physically punish UNB, but the big hitters on the VReds had the same idea. Harty had 4 or 5 big hits, Stamler threw a few along the boards and pretty much every forward line was banging. Made for a playoff-style game.

Question for the group - a few of us noticed that we see way more hip checks in the AUS than we're seeing in the NHL these days, is that being coached out of the pro leagues? Seeing a guy go head over heels along the boards at good speed always draws a reaction from the crowd.

Old
01-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Island Husky

Quote:

Question for the group - a few of us noticed that we see way more hip checks in the AUS than we're seeing in the NHL these days, is that being coached out of the pro leagues? Seeing a guy go head over heels along the boards at good speed always draws a reaction from the crowd.
Well that is interesting. Since I am in the business of researching hockey, I always look at things from a perspective of applying it to my own study. I am, but in no way am I the first, interested in the evolvement of the game from one of , particpation, recreation, spectatorship, non commercial entertainment, to one of professinalism and high priced commercialized packaged entertainment. Consequently I find many things can be placed in this transition. Now I have no idea if it is actually "coached out" that is, actively, but it would not surprise me in the least. First we had the move to "defensive hockey", popularized by the Philadelphia Flyers in the seventies. This fit in well with the entertainment package product, because it slowed the game down, and when you slow the game down, you have more time to sell things from timeouts. or at least give the fans more time to take in the surrounding advertisements or make journeys to the souvenier stand. Notice how the IIHF has no TV Timeouts? because to them it is still about the game, not the money. So defensive hockey worked tactically and financially. The next big movement was conducted on the part of the players, as the competition increased. My own personal title to this is "All Hockey All The Time" As soon as a player makes a hockey commitment, it is time to dedicate all of their efforts and resources into this endeavour. So forget about soccer, baseball, skateboarding or whatever else might attract one's fancy. This is not as far fetched as it may seem. An article from The Chronicle Herald in 2004 told of how certain members of the NS Canada Games Soccer team were being told to discontinue their participation in other sports because they might get injured. The result of this increased specialized activity is readily apparent in hockey. Players go all year around, off ice, on ice, in season, out of season, no more of this taking 3 months in the summer for steaks, bbq's, beer, and golf. Al MacInnis, at age 37 was doing a series of high performance sprints for his summer training. I remember, at the same age, thinking I was good for blowing and steaming around a track on a 3k run. Anyway, what I am getting at and to address your comment, I think the removal of hip checks from the pro game does fit in here somehwere. Even AUS teams in the 80's and 90's had guys who would routinely crunch up to 20 guys a game. I mean body to body hits. That seems to have gone in favour of all around good play, and there is nothing wrong with that, the level of play has definitely increased, but I mean these guys were not seen at the scorers table looking for points. At SMu we had a guy who was the body on body type, and a coach commented once that "it takes alot out of someone to do that continually" Another Assistant Coach told me once, as he saw our head coach take out someone with a hip check in a varsity inter squad fun game, "there is a rarity, most guys need to use their sticks to take someone out now" . These two points would suggest to me that any type of body on body contact, especially without the stick, would be terribly "inefficient". Honestly, I hadn't noticed this hip check trend, as did the observant Kexodusc, but I for one would certainly welcome it back

Old
01-10-2009, 05:00 PM
SuperSquirrel

Quote:
IMO, I think that Harty is personally responsible for making the hip check a big part of UNB's D... just take a look at some of the video clips of him on YouTube.

Old
01-10-2009, 09:19 PM
FreddtFoyle

Varsity Reds 8 - Tigers 2

Saturday, January 10, 2009
UNB 8 – Dal 2

The University of New Brunswick Varsity Reds won their conference leading seventh game in a row in convincing fashion, humbling the visiting Dalhousie Tigers 8-2 while outshooting them 50-20 in front of 2092 fans at the Aitken University Centre in Fredericton. UNB remains tied for first place with Saint Mary’s in the standings, with the bonus of having three games in hand on the Huskies.

The Varsity Reds had good pressure from the opening faceoff and were rewarded at 4:26 when Kyle Bailey (Ponoka, AB), from his knees, swatted the rebound from the Rob Pearce (Fredericton, NB) backhand past a surprised Josh Disher (Burlington, ON) in the Dal net. 88 seconds later UNB extended their lead when Hunter Tremblay (Timmins, ON) beat Disher to a rebound Dal drew within a goal four minutes later when a UNB giveaway led to two-on-one with veteran Chad McCaffrey (Kitchener, ON) scoring a nice goal against rookie UNB goalie Travis Fullerton (Riverview, NB). UNB outshot Dal 16-5 in the period.

Just 28 seconds into the second period, Tremblay jumped on a rebound and hit rushing defenceman Bretton Stamler (Edmonton, AB) with a perfect pass which Stamler one-timed from the top of the circle past Disher. Less than two minutes later UNB was on the power play when Luke Lynes (Rochester Hills, MI), who just joined UNB after the Christmas break, scored his first goal as he waited for Disher to go down before beating him over his left shoulder. The Tigers had no success on their power play, while UNB’s aggressive penalty kill had three shots on net, but got their revenge six seconds later at 5:22 when newcomer Shawn Frank (Thornhill, ON), who joined the Tigers over the Christmas break, beat Fullerton through the pads on a perfectly timed tip of a Sean Thompson (Alliston, ON) shot on a bang-bang play. The Tigers pressed their luck when Patrick Sweeney (Nepean, ON) took back to back penalties and paid the price at 10:34 when Kevin Henderson (Toronto, ON) snuck out of the right corner unmolested to tip the Luke Gallant (Bedford, NS) cross-ice pass into the gaping hole to the side of Disher. UNB outshot Dal 14-8 in the period.

In the third period UNB continued to free wheel, accented at 3:10 when rookie defencemen Jonathan Harty (Oromocto, NB) started the play from the right point, then circled around and behind the net to be in place to finish the back door play as he got the puck back from John Scott Dickson (Barrie, ON). At 4:20 tempers flared after Dalhousie players went hard to the UNB net, with two members from each team landing in the penalty box. Midway through the period transfer student Jimmy Cuddihy (Aylmer, QC) scored against his former Tiger teammates as he jumped on a rebound. Three minutes later Cuddihy appeared to mesmerize everyone with a puck control demonstration before hitting Henderson parked at the back door, who had the easy tip in for his second goal of the game. Shots favoured UNB 20-7 in the final period.

The final score was 8-2 for the Varsity Reds with player of the game honours going to Jonathan Harty.

Old
01-14-2009, 07:50 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Ok...so I was wrong about the UNB/STU game being close...8-0 final....but the trend of gaining a player/losing a player continues, MacIntosh comes back and Pearce leaves the game with an injury and DaCosta didn't play...any word on those two?

Old
01-14-2009, 08:25 PM
timbitca

Quote:
Originally Posted by MESSMAN11 View Post
Ryan Mockler was playing Senior back home (we're from the same village) in Dalhousie, but I don't think he's playing, though his brother(or is it cousin, I keep mixing up those three) still is. I know his cousin and a few other in his family are gone out west to work, so maybe he's followed along.

Old
01-15-2009, 08:44 AM
SuperSquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Ok...so I was wrong about the UNB/STU game being close...8-0 final....but the trend of gaining a player/losing a player continues, MacIntosh comes back and Pearce leaves the game with an injury and DaCosta didn't play...any word on those two?
The word around the rink last night was that both DaCosta and Campbell were healthy scratches, Aldred is still suffering from the affects of the hit from behind he took in the BC game, and Pearce has a separated shoulder.

Old
01-15-2009, 09:48 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSquirrel View Post
The word around the rink last night was that both DaCosta and Campbell were healthy scratches, Aldred is still suffering from the affects of the hit from behind he took in the BC game, and Pearce has a separated shoulder.
Yeah I am not suprised Aldred is still out...and Campbell I figured was a healthy scratch, but DaCosta?? That's surprising...unless he is just a little banged up and they wanted to give him a night off to rest up for the slew of games coming up...

Old
01-15-2009, 10:44 AM
SuperSquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Yeah I am not suprised Aldred is still out...and Campbell I figured was a healthy scratch, but DaCosta?? That's surprising...unless he is just a little banged up and they wanted to give him a night off to rest up for the slew of games coming up...
I think you're right about DaCosta... I'd much rather see him out there against Moncton, PEI & Acadia.

Old
01-15-2009, 10:30 PM
Rob

How many wins in a row is that against STU?

From memory I think it is 10 in a row during the regular season and 13 in a row if we include that playoffs. I'm guessing that is a record for the team.

Old
01-16-2009, 12:15 PM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
How many wins in a row is that against STU?

From memory I think it is 10 in a row during the regular season and 13 in a row if we include that playoffs. I'm guessing that is a record for the team.

The Last time STU Beat UNB and mind you it was kinda a fluke as UNB couldn't do anything with the boucing puck, not so much cause of STU but the not up to par Ice at the York Arena when STU started the season their in 2006 while renovations where being done at the LBR, that was the first meeting of the season that year, and just UNB's third game.

UNB won the remaining 3 games that year, + all 4 last year + 3 this season, and I think theyve played a minimum of 4 exibition contest since than. Didnt UNB beat STU in the Semifinals last year of the AUS as well?

Old
01-16-2009, 01:30 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
The Last time STU Beat UNB and mind you it was kinda a fluke as UNB couldn't do anything with the boucing puck, not so much cause of STU but the not up to par Ice at the York Arena when STU started the season their in 2006 while renovations where being done at the LBR, that was the first meeting of the season that year, and just UNB's third game.

UNB won the remaining 3 games that year, + all 4 last year + 3 this season, and I think theyve played a minimum of 4 exibition contest since than. Didnt UNB beat STU in the Semifinals last year of the AUS as well?
Yep...here is the complete list....17 and counting....

October 20/06 STU won 3-1 (regular season)
November 24/06 UNB 3-0 (regular season)
December 31/06 UNB won 3-2 in OT (exhibition)
January 31/07 UNB won 4-3 (regular season)
February 16/07 UNB won 5-3 (regular season)
September 21/07 UNB won 8-1 (exhibition)
October 6/07 UNB won 5-2 (exhibition)
October 31/07 UNB won 8-3 (regular season)
November 16/07 UNB won 3-2 in OT (regular season)
January 23/08 UNB won 6-1 (regular season)
January 25/08 UNB won 4-3 (regular season)
February 26/08 UNB won 5-1 (playoffs)
February 29/08 UNB won 5-4 (playoffs)
March 2/08 UNB won 5-1 (playoffs)
September 17/08 UNB won 10-4 (exhibition)
October 29/08 UNB won 7-4 (regular season)
November 29/08 UNB won 3-2 in OT (regular season)
January 14/08 UNB won 8-0 (regular season)

Closed Thread