HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2009, 04:19 PM
kexodusc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Btw...whats with everyone jumping on the Battochio bandwagon? Sure he has played more than anyone in the league and may have stole a few games here and there but I would argue Sniderman and Lachance have been better than him this year. Maybe he has been more consistent but his overall numbers don't compare to those other two and he has had 8 games where he has given up more than 5 goals...including his last 3. Am I missing something here??
Yeah, it's the way he plays. He makes the big saves at times in the game that we wish Yeomans or Fullerton would. I think his stats just reflect the talent gap between X and the top 3 teams though. If Battochio had Moncton, SMU or UNB in front of him his numbers would be scary good. He gets burned for goals too every now and then, but even Ouzas got yanked a few times. There's only so much one goalie can do. He's certainly given the best teams a hard this year. Battochio is the only goalie to beat UNB, Moncton, and SMU (3 times!) this year and he's the only reason X is where they are IMO. Look at those games vs those team - X was pretty much outshot 2-1 in them all and he single handedly stole the games for his team against possibly the best scoring teams in the country. He's the only AUS goalie stepping up to that level, that often.

Old
01-31-2009, 04:45 PM
SuperSquirrel

Bottom line, I think you'll see Fullerton getting the call in net tonight and possibly for the rest of the regular season if he plays well. I would hate to see the team rotating goalies heading into the playoffs... if one's hot then stick with him. IMO, even though Fullerton's shutout streak has come against some of the weaker competition in the league... if you can call Acadia and UPEI weak, he's the one that seems to have the hot hand right now. Hope he has a stellar performance tonight.

Old
01-31-2009, 04:54 PM
kexodusc

If I read this right, looks like a video feed of the game tonight is available:
http://www.ssncanada.ca/game/383/

Old
01-31-2009, 05:22 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Sweet...they didn't have the game listed when I checked a day or two ago...I have never seen a game on there before...what's the quality/announcing like?

Old
01-31-2009, 06:50 PM
Bob Stauffer

Regarding Moncton in 2005

Charlie Bourgeois' team in 2005 had to deal with big, physical Saskatchewan squad completely comfortable with playing in Clare Drake Arena.
Moncton had some issues with busing (which was the host committee's fault for using volunteer drivers from outside of Edmonton) and let things get to them.
As a member of the organizing committee I know Charlie (who was first class to deal with from a media perspective) was livid that his team didn't get the Alberta bench prior to the second game.
He thought he was getting screwed
I have seen this before with coaches and teams losing focus in an uncomfortable environment on the road.
I can't reiterate this point more...the location of the University Cup plays a massive factor in who tends to succeed.
I was at 2003, 2004 and 2008 Championships out East, Alberta played far from their best hockey.
The Bears were overwhelming favorites in 2004 heading into the tournament with a 40-0-2 record, but let the emotions get to them literally from the ceremonial faceoff of their game against UNB.
In 1999, 2000 and 2005 and 2006 in the West the Bears looked pretty good winning all four. (They would have been more dominant if the whole tourney was at Clare Drake in 2005 and 2006 instead of Rexall...winning the three games at Clare Drake in those two years by a combined score of 24-4!)
Don't know if any of the posters on this board have played against Alberta at Clare Drake but the building has unique "charms"-square end boards, high boards, a major discreparancy in bench sizes, not to mention 13 CIS banners, five in the last 10 seasons that seems to pysche teams out.
To illustrate this statistically to you Alberta had a 59 game home undefeated streak snapped by Sakatchewan in 2005, one night after they walloped the Huskies 6-2.
And the Bears are 62-6-1 at Clare Drake in Conference play since that game including 10-0 this season.
The Atlantic teams in '05 and '06 weren't overally impressive out West.
Conversely I wasn't surprised when Moncton beat the Bears at the 2008 Nationals, but alas the Bears got the second chance they didn't get back in '03 when they lost 3-2 to X in double OT the first day. Beat York 4-0 on day two and outshooting them 66-15, and then watched X hang on for 5-4 win over X to round out there pool.
I will concede that we probably didn't see the best of Moncton in 2005 or Acadia in 2006, and I hope some you may recognize that maybe Alberta had some travel issues in the Atlantic hosted CIS Championships. (And remember it is a heck of a lot easier flying into a bigger airport like Edmonton then the little 52 seaters they fly to Fredericton.).
As for the AUS. I do think Pete B. will improve Dal, but there are no teams out west that have given up 9+ goals three times this season in Conference play.

Old
01-31-2009, 07:39 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob "Total Hockey" View Post
I can't reiterate this point more...the location of the University Cup plays a massive factor in who tends to succeed.
I think we can all agree on this...and, actually, looking at the Memorial Cup it appears something similar has also existed in the past 10 or so years. Outside of last year when Spokane went to Kitchener and won it the last decade or so has shown that teams who have to travel a long ways to the tournement have not done all that great (in terms of winning it all...not necessairly overall performance). Besides last year the last few times it has been done was in 2002 when Kooteney won in Guelph and in 2000 when Kooteney won in Halifax. The players probably just aren't used to travelling those kind of distances and then playing...among other reasons...

Old
01-31-2009, 07:41 PM
SuperSquirrel

Bob, I'm curious to know how playoff series are configured out West. What I mean is if Alberta and Saskatchewan meet in the finals and it's a best of 3 series, is there any travel that occurs between games or are all the games played at the highest ranked team's home rink?

Old
01-31-2009, 07:54 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSquirrel View Post
Bob, I'm curious to know how playoff series are configured out West. What I mean is if Alberta and Saskatchewan meet in the finals and it's a best of 3 series, is there any travel that occurs between games or are all the games played at the highest ranked team's home rink?
As far as I know they play all three games at one location...

Old
01-31-2009, 10:34 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
As far as I know they play all three games at one location...
Yes. The home team hosts the entire best-of-3. Which is why a playoff upset is rare in CW. There have been some series I could have seen the Bisons pulling off an upset if they had home ice even once.

Old
01-31-2009, 11:22 PM
kexodusc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
Yes. The home team hosts the entire best-of-3. Which is why a playoff upset is rare in CW. There have been some series I could have seen the Bisons pulling off an upset if they had home ice even once.
Wow, that must be nice. Home ice is pretty huge in the AUS most years - the only "upsets" I can recall in recent memory are STU knocking off SMU 2 years ago where the home team lost every game (SMU had 1 more win that year and a few OT losses to clinch home ice.) and UNB beating Moncton in 05-06 in a #2 vs #3 playoff match.

Last year the STU Tommies had home ice vs StFX despite StFX winning more games in the regular season ( a result of the OT loss point), and the home team won all 3 playoff games...giving the Tommies the win. I bet X was upset that a team could lose more to clinch home ice.

What's the rule in the OUA?

Old
02-01-2009, 01:15 AM
gnosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kexodusc View Post
... What's the rule in the OUA?
OUA playoff format:

FIRST ROUND (best of three)
o Division winners receive a first round bye
#6 East vs. #3 East
#5 East vs. #4 East
#6 West vs. #3 West
#5 West vs. #4 West

QUARTER-FINALS (best of three)
Lower ranked East (#3-#6) vs. #1 East
Remaining East (#3-#6) vs. #2 East
Lower ranked West (#3-#6) vs. #1 West
Remaining West (#3-#6) vs. #2 West

SEMI-FINALS (best of three)
East Division Final – East quarter-final winners
West Division Final – West quarter-final winners

QUEEN’S CUP CHAMPIONSHIP (single game)
East Division Winners vs. West Division Winners @ home of highest remaining Ontario Team

The highest place finishers during the regular schedule will always have the extra home game regardless of who wins a particular series.

Example of best of three series:
Game #1 @ lower ranked team
Game #2 @ higher ranked team
Game #3 @ higher ranked team

The first game of a 3 game series is usually played on a Wednesday night @ the lower ranked team, game 2 and game 3 (if necessary) are played on Friday and Saturday night @ the higher ranked team.

Old
02-02-2009, 09:50 AM
FreddtFoyle

Radio and TV this weekend

In case you can't make the games this weekend at the AUC, we'll be doing Friday's game against SMU and Saturday's against StFX on CHSR-FM, which will be audiocast as normal at http://www.chsrfm.ca.

It also looks like we might also be doing the UNB-StFX game on Rogers TV ... although they've been slow to confirm.

Old
02-02-2009, 10:22 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

So do we see Fullerton against SMU and Yeomans against X this weekend? Or do we start to see one guy play most of the minutes from here on out?

Old
02-02-2009, 12:09 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
So do we see Fullerton against SMU and Yeomans against X this weekend? Or do we start to see one guy play most of the minutes from here on out?
I'm predictin' that we see Fullerton against SMU and Yeomans against StFX. Even though it breaks the current rotation, Travis has not played against SMU and should be tested against them. Having said that, I would not be surprised if Gardiner puts Yeomans in against SMU to stick with the rotation (since Fullerton played last) and get him "back on the horse".

Usually by now Gardiner has picked his goalie for the playoffs, but I suspect like a lot of us he's not 100% comfortable with Yeomans' play and he should be interested in finding the limits to Fullerton.

Old
02-02-2009, 02:55 PM
timbitca

How about you stick a 4'x6' piece of plywood in the net against SMU for me David? Just make sure UNB wins this time, would kind of help us :p

Old
02-02-2009, 04:21 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
How about you stick a 4'x6' piece of plywood in the net against SMU for me David? Just make sure UNB wins this time, would kind of help us :p
Ya, it occurred to me that you folks wouldn't have been happy with Friday's result ...

I think they'll be pretty fired up come Friday. Last Friday they outplayed them (i.e. had more scoring chances), but didn't win. I can't see that happening two games in a row ... but then anything can happen in the AUS.

Old
02-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Rob

Anyone know why DeCosta hasn't been in the lineup?

Old
02-17-2009, 03:55 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

I posted this over at unbhockeyfans.com but I think it got buried..I was curious, as someone who only really started following UNB in 2002 when I started school there and wasn't around for their success in the late 1990's, from the people who have followed them for awhile, what the attendence figures were like for those years (the 1996-2000 range, especially 1998 when they won their first Championship)?

Old
02-17-2009, 04:32 PM
kexodusc

Quote:
I posted this over at unbhockeyfans.com but I think it got buried..I was curious, as someone who only really started following UNB in 2002 when I started school there and wasn't around for their success in the late 1990's, from the people who have followed them for awhile, what the attendence figures were like for those years (the 1996-2000 range, especially 1998 when they won their first Championship)?
Hmmm good question. I didn't pay much attention to attendance back in 97 or so because I only went to a few games, in 98-2000 though the crowds were always decent - 1800+ I'd say by memory, with many drawing well above that. I'm willing to be corrected. I do recall the playoff rounds drew well too, especially back then when we had a great back and forth rivalry with Acadia. Same think by 2003 when the rivalry with St. FX was going.

Old
02-17-2009, 10:13 PM
Rob

Quote:

Defintely less. Mostly because the Baby Habs were still in town. The only game that did really well attendance wise was the UNB-STU games.

Of course STU seemed to have a lot more fans back then.

Old
02-28-2009, 02:19 PM
Squirrel Forever

Acadia Games

Any thought of a Fan bus, or van load of fans to go to the Games at the end of the week at Acadia??

Old
02-28-2009, 02:30 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel Forever View Post
Any thought of a Fan bus, or van load of fans to go to the Games at the end of the week at Acadia??
Yup...check out www.unbhockeyfans.com for info...

Old
02-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Squirrel Forever

Thanks for the info, and Let's go VREDS!

Old
02-28-2009, 02:43 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

No problem....good to see another UNB fan on here

Btw...for anyone interested there is a great article about Friesen in today's Gleaner at http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/s...article/587699 ...going to be weird without him on the team next year...

Old
02-28-2009, 03:43 PM
AUS Fan

Good article on 'Dusty'. I got to know him in Italy and agree with Burnsy that he is a class act.

Closed Thread