HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Rob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
A bit of a double-post, but I feel it is important to post it here as well:

At a ceremony last night the UNB Varsity Reds announced what coach Gardiner MacDougall characterized as "the best ever CIS non-conference schedule" for the upcoming 2008-09 hockey season.

UNB's 12-game non-conference schedule will feature four key home games they are branding a "Grand Slam". On September 24th the NY Islander rookie squad will play the V-Reds at the Aitken University Centre (AUC), most likely with UNB graduate and CIS male-athlete-of-the-year Rob Hennigar in the line-up. Last season UNB beat the the Islander squad 3-1 at their training camp in Moncton.

On Saturday, October 12th the Maine Black Bears will make their first visit to the AUC since their program became a national contender. Maine AD Blake James made the trip from Orono for the occasion in order to formalize the announcement that UNB and Maine will now play annually (they've played the last two years in Orono) and in accordance with NCAA international travel regulations the Black Bears will play the annual game in Fredericton every fourth year. James noted that it only took him two and a half hours to get to Fredericton "without speeding too much" and UNB would/could represent Maine's closest future "rival", as arch-rival New Hampshire is Maine's closest Division 1 competitor at just over three hours away. Additionally UNB Director of Athletics Kevin Dickie stated that UNB and Maine's other varsity sports teams plan to make more regular cross-border trips.

Finally, and not least, the NCAA champion Boston College Eagles will be making their first visit to Fredericton since coach Jerry York was a rookie player with the team to play the V-Reds for two games on January 2 and 3, 2009. This apparently marks the first occasion a reigning NCAA champion has traveled to play in Canada the season immediately after winning their championship.

David
This is all fantastic news.

I've always wanted to see the play the big NCAA teams. I just hope they are able to recruit enough high quality players to be even close to as awesome as they were last year. If we still had all the players from last year's team I would feel pretty confident against Boston College.

Old
06-11-2008, 09:00 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob "Total Hockey" View Post
"Toughest ever Non-Conference sked"
Old UNB the masters of the hyperbole!
Alberta may play three NHL rookie teams in successive nights in September and then gets Denver, Colorado College and Air Force in three games in three nights in October.
Might give UNB a run for that honour.
Did Alberta play any NCAA teams last season?

Old
06-12-2008, 04:46 PM
Fan of the Vreds

Thanks Bob for updating us UNB fans on the new recruits. It's sad that we had to find out from a guy in Alberta. I'm surprise that Mr.Hunt did not have this posted in the Daily Gleaner.

I think UNB has really upgraded their defense with Stamler and Harty coming. They should be pretty solid in goal with Yeomans. Any word on who's coming to be his back up this year?

Bob question for you. In your opinion is Daine Todd Coach MacDougall's replacement (if you can even say that) of Rob Henniger? I looked him up on you tube and found some decent video's of him, seems to have pretty good speed. Also could do you have any feedback on Stamler?

Does anyone know if Hunter Tremblay and Kevin Henderson is coming back? I never heard that they were not.. Also does anyone know the status of the Pearce brothers? Is Rob coming back, is Steve planning on trying out?

Other than Moncton has any other team in AUS announced their recruits? Alpine....

Ok enough with the questions...

Old
06-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Bob Stauffer

I certainly don't think that Daine Todd is Rob Hennigar.
I see him in a second-line complimentary role along the lines of Alberta's Brian Woolger, who score the Bears first goal against the V-Reds in the final.
He just put up okay numbers as a 20 year-old.
St. Louis Blues second round draft choice Scott Jackson, has committed to the Golden Bears by the way if he doesn't get an NHL/AHL contract.
Jackson was the best 20 year-old headed to the CIS out of the WHL imo.

Bob

Old
06-12-2008, 05:57 PM
kexodusc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan of the Vreds View Post
Thanks Bob for updating us UNB fans on the new recruits. It's sad that we had to find out from a guy in Alberta. I'm surprise that Mr.Hunt did not have this posted in the Daily Gleaner.
UNB for whatever reason typically holds off formally announcing recruits unless their absolutely positive they'll be here - the exception might be last year, and we saw what happened last year with 2 decent OHL d-men calling audibles later in the summer, leaving UNB in a bit of a bind on the blue line.

Quote:
Bob question for you. In your opinion is Daine Todd Coach MacDougall's replacement (if you can even say that) of Rob Henniger? I looked him up on you tube and found some decent video's of him, seems to have pretty good speed. Also could do you have any feedback on Stamler?

Does anyone know if Hunter Tremblay and Kevin Henderson is coming back? I never heard that they were not.. Also does anyone know the status of the Pearce brothers? Is Rob coming back, is Steve planning on trying out?
Tremblay/Henderson are returning as of last word but you never know in the CIS until september - Rob Pearce as well though he wasn't going to at first... AFAIK Steve Pearce is not playing for UNB, though he might play as a 7th d-man. If he can balance UNB law and UNB hockey schedules, that's something else, the only other UNB player I know who took law was Mike Mazucca and he couldn't do both so chose to get on with his life.

Todd isn't going to be Hennigar, but he should help. There's another decent forward rumoured to be on his way to UNB from the Q, and if he does indeed play for UNB their top 3 lines should be deeper and more balanced, the 4th line will should be as good a checking line as they've ever had, and certainly their big weakness from last year on defence has improved considerably.

I doubt they'll win as many games or score as much, simply because SMU and Moncton seem to be keeping pace and probably closing the gap, and their due for a few unlucky bounces, but they might be better suited for close games in the playoffs. Definitely a more physical team.

The SMU Huskies might just be the team to beat in the AUS though, a year older and wiser.

Bob, how's UofS looking? They were losing 9-10 players last I heard, and other than landing DaSilva, will they do enough to still be the #2 team out there?

Old
06-13-2008, 06:58 AM
Alpine

Quote:

Other than Moncton has any other team in AUS announced their recruits? Alpine....
Not much really a few Junior A reports. Woodstock Slammers have reported that forward Mitch Price and goalie Ben MacFarlane will be with the Tommies. Defenceman Patrick Campbell to Guelph Gryphons.
Yarmouth Mariners have reported Defenceman Jamie Klie will be with the Axemen.
A report in the Charlottetown Guardian says Moosehead's Colby Pridham will be with SMU and there's "talk" that Jason Rinzler of Moncton Beavers who finished his OA year with Pictou County will be with the Tommies as well.
There's a few other Maritime Junior A players headed to OUA (I'll look up later) but I have to admit that I've been lax lately in my scouring of the AUS team's home town papers for reports.
Links for AUS local papers:
http://www.ngnews.ca/
St FX, the Daily in near by New Glasgow.
http://www.novanewsnow.com/rubrique-...-of-Kings.html
Acadia, Kentville's community paper.
and of course, Chronicle Herald in Halifax and Charlottetown Guardian.
HockeyScene.com keeps up pretty good on announcements as well for Maritimes.

Last edited by Alpine: 06-13-2008 at 07:14 AM.
Old
06-13-2008, 07:22 AM
vredsfan

UPEI has also announced several new recruits on their website.

Old
06-13-2008, 07:35 AM
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredsfan View Post
UPEI has also announced several new recruits on their website.
Thanks, can't believe I missed former Wildcat Jhase Sniderman commiting to the Panthers.

Old
06-13-2008, 08:33 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
I know for a fact that Bill Hunt of the Gleaner has been as antsy, or more so, than most to name names for UNB recruits but he has been respecting UNB coach MacDougall's request to wait for official announcements from the team.

And yes, based on what happened last year with two of the three Barrie Colts, I suspect Gardiner will delay as long as possible this year before making announcements.

Old
06-13-2008, 08:38 AM
FreddtFoyle

I should also mention, that unlike the NCAA, there is still no official letter of intent within the CIS. A recruited player can "sign a contract" (whatever the heck that is) with Moncton, but under current CIS hockey rules there is still nothing stopping that player enrolling and playing for another CIS team in September, or turning pro. A commitment today is still not a binding agreement as a player is always free to change his mind within the CIS. All it does it MAYBE keep other coaches from trying to recruit that player who has "committed" to another CIS hockey team.

Old
06-13-2008, 09:07 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Thanks, can't believe I missed former Wildcat Jhase Sniderman commiting to the Panthers.
Maybe these announcements could be included in a new thread. I'm always interested in who's going where and these posts are really appreciated.

Old
06-13-2008, 09:16 AM
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
Maybe these announcements could be included in a new thread. I'm always interested in who's going where and these posts are really appreciated.
Start one then
I was just responding to a question and then reacting to something I didn't know.
Maybe 2008-09 CIS recruiting maybe a good title.
Yes I am a dick

Old
06-13-2008, 11:08 AM
gnosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Start one then
I was just responding to a question and then reacting to something I didn't know.
Maybe 2008-09 CIS recruiting maybe a good title.
Yes I am a dick

Done ...

Old
06-17-2008, 08:59 PM
eraserhead

I wish UNB would have a better site...recap, video, etc... It would probably garner more interest by casual fans. The site now sucks a whole lot of crap.

Thanks for all the updates. Did Hodgson play with the Reds all season? I went to a large majority of games and don't recall him (didn't see any past mid-January, though, due to exams, essays, and having a Wednesday night class, etc...).

Old
06-18-2008, 08:27 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by eraserhead View Post

Thanks for all the updates. Did Hodgson play with the Reds all season? I went to a large majority of games and don't recall him (didn't see any past mid-January, though, due to exams, essays, and having a Wednesday night class, etc...).
Chris was with the team since September and practiced everyday, but wasn't dressed for games until the second half (after Christmas) and was gradually worked into the lineup and given more ice time. He'll most likely have a regular spot this coming season.

Old
06-21-2008, 02:34 AM
eraserhead

Quote:
Chris was with the team since September and practiced everyday, but wasn't dressed for games until the second half (after Christmas) and was gradually worked into the lineup and given more ice time. He'll most likely have a regular spot this coming season.
that's why I didn't recognize him from the early season. I certainly won't make the mistake of a Wednesday night class again. Most fo the seminars end early anyway.

Old
06-23-2008, 10:18 PM
Fan of the Vreds

Please correct me if I am wrong but so far the Vreds will look something similar to this at the start of the year..

Goalies
Derek Yeomans plus a new recruit..

Defense
Dustin Friesen
Jonathan Harty
Justin Dacosta
Bretton Stamler
Alex Aldred
David Bowman
Luke Gallant

Forwards
Hunter Tremblay
John Scott Dickson
Lachlan Macintosh
Rob Pearce
Kyle Bailey
Kevin Henderson
Jordan Clendenning
Daine Todd
Ryan Seymour
Josh Hepditch
Tyler Dietrech
Chris Hodgson

According to today's Daily Gleaner Coach MacDougall is also looking to add a couple more forwards.. Does anyone have any insight as to who they may be?? Also is Andrew Desousa coming back? I thought last year was his last??

Old
06-24-2008, 06:49 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
According to today's Daily Gleaner Coach MacDougall is also looking to add a couple more forwards.. Does anyone have any insight as to who they may be?? Also is Andrew Desousa coming back? I thought last year was his last??
I believe Andrew is in the BRSS/BEd double-degree program, which normally takes five years. He has eligibility left and wasn't given his sweater at Senior's Night, so I would expect him back. Although he has battled injuries MacDougall loves using de Sousa as a penalty killer.

Old
06-27-2008, 07:08 AM
FreddtFoyle

UNB now to play Maine twice

The University of Maine's schedule now has them playing UNB twice this fall in Fredericton: on Friday, October 10 and Saturday, October 11. UNB has not yet made the official announcement in Fredericton as Maine "jumped the gun" before all of the details are finalized on the UNB end.

Old
06-27-2008, 07:41 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
The University of Maine's schedule now has them playing UNB twice this fall in Fredericton: on Friday, October 10 and Saturday, October 11. UNB has not yet made the official announcement in Fredericton as Maine "jumped the gun" before all of the details are finalized on the UNB end.
Crap - those will be incredible games to see.

I remember watching the Bears when they had a couple of brothers named Tortorella playing for them. Maybe my memory is going (Always possible) but they could have competed with most minor pro team in North America back then.

Old
06-27-2008, 09:33 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
Crap - those will be incredible games to see.

I remember watching the Bears when they had a couple of brothers named Tortorella playing for them. Maybe my memory is going (Always possible) but they could have competed with most minor pro team in North America back then.
Not sure about the Tortorellas, but the '92-'93 NCAA champion Black Bears had rookie 100 point man Paul Kariya, Jim Montgomery, the Ferraro twins, Garth Snow and Mike Dunham and I believe would have beat any AHL team at that time.

Old
07-09-2008, 08:43 AM
vredsfan

Anything new?

FreddtFoyle...

Anything new to report on v-reds recruiting. Any more rumors about that new goalie and couple of forwards MacDougall is still hoping to land?

Old
07-09-2008, 09:02 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredsfan View Post
FreddtFoyle...

Anything new to report on v-reds recruiting. Any more rumors about that new goalie and couple of forwards MacDougall is still hoping to land?
I haven't heard ... but then I haven't been talking to him much over the summer! Maybe I'll make a point of asking him ...

Old
07-09-2008, 11:25 AM
FreddtFoyle

I managed to talk very briefly with Gardiner at lunch while he was dashing around doing hockey school stuff. UNB does have a new goalie to back up Derek Yeomans, but the official news hasn't gone out yet (which means I can't tell you who it is, so don't ask ...)

Gardiner is still recruiting and has an un-named potential recruit coming in this week to visit UNB ...

Old
07-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Fan of the Vreds

UNB Vreds have announced the signing of Goaltender Travis Fullerton. Travis played the last 2 years in the QMJHL with the Siant John Sea Dogs. 07-08 was a breakout year for Fullerton posting a 24-11-6 win-loss-tie record and had a GAA of 2.98.

Closed Thread