HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-21-2008, 08:36 PM
AUS Fan

vCash: 500
Drew at Turino

kexodusc, I agree with your observation on Paul Drew. I was in Turino with the AUS team and can attest to his skill level and performance. I think last season he was tired and did have a nagging groin injury which did affect his game. He should be able to compete in the "coast". Best of luck, Drewzy.

Old
08-25-2008, 12:11 PM
FreddtFoyle

Nabber moves on

No surprise here for me ...

From today's Daily Gleaner.

Broomfield, Colo. - The Rocky Mountain Rage have re-signed fourth-year defenseman Nick Harloff and added rookie forward Nathan O'Nabigon, formerly of the University of New Brunswick Varsity Reds, to their official roster.

The Rage now have 14 players under contract for the upcoming 2008-09 Central Hockey League season.

O'Nabigon, 25, has never played a shift of professional hockey but he has plenty of big-game experience at the major junior and Canadian university levels.

The 6-foot-2, 215 lb. left winger won a Memorial Cup with the Ontario Hockey League's Kitchener Rangers in 2002-03 when he was teammates with Mike Richards and Derek Roy, now of the Philadelphia Flyers and Buffalo Sabres, respectively.

Rather than turn pro following his junior career, O'Nabigon instead decided to attend UNB where he helped the V-Reds win the national University Cup tourney in 2007. UNB then steamrolled its way to a 26-1-1 regular season mark last year before losing in the CIS final.

Old
08-25-2008, 05:31 PM
Fan of the Vreds

Well this really is too bad for us as fans, but good for Nabber. I wish him the best of luck.

FreddtFoyle do you know if UNB has anymore "commitments"? Is Gardiner still recruting? Any names of potential recruits that you can share with us?

Thanks.

Old
08-26-2008, 11:37 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan of the Vreds View Post
Well this really is too bad for us as fans, but good for Nabber. I wish him the best of luck.

FreddtFoyle do you know if UNB has anymore "commitments"? Is Gardiner still recruting? Any names of potential recruits that you can share with us?

Thanks.
I haven't been talking to Gardiner lately, but the "Rules of Engagement" I use with him is not to publicize names before the team makes them official. Sorry. For example Ouellette was close to coming to UNB, perhaps expected, until UdeM made their announcement. I never mentioned his name here because players try to keep their options open and "negotiate" where they can get the best deal (ice time, scholarships, etc.).

There are other sources here who are better positioned to talk about rumours and possibilities since they aren't bound by my "rules".

I do know over the summer that Gardiner, and all the AUS coaches for that matter, keep in touch with potential players who are bound for AHL and other minor pro tryouts in case things don't work out. On the same hand, guys who commit to you can still turn pro or go to another schools (two of the three Barrie Colts last year ...).

I don't really start to pay attention to the new recruits until I actually see them in a UNB practice jersey ... seriously ... because until then they are just probables and possibles ...

Old
08-26-2008, 03:26 PM
AUS Fan

Jimmy Cuddihy

Rumor has it that he is going to UNB to do his MBA. If he does, hopefully they can get an honest effort out of him. What say you, 'Foyle?

Old
08-26-2008, 05:48 PM
VRedsRule

One more top six forward to be announced is what I've heard through the team grapevine. I expect there are a handful of prospects at pro camps and Coach Mac is betting on one ending up here, a la Henderson last year.

I expect Henderson to have a monster year this year, he started strong in exhibition, fell off during season, but picked his game up at Nationals. Could very well see him on one of top two lines this season, in more of an offensive role.

Old
08-28-2008, 07:45 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
Rumor has it that he is going to UNB to do his MBA. If he does, hopefully they can get an honest effort out of him. What say you, 'Foyle?
Can you imagine if a coach could get Cuddihy to actually play 60 minutes a game?! That would be an asset to any team, as he does have shifts of brilliance between too many minutes of "where'd he go?". I'll have to ask Gardiner next time I see him.

Old
08-29-2008, 11:01 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
No surprise here for me ...

From today's Daily Gleaner.

Broomfield, Colo. - The Rocky Mountain Rage have re-signed fourth-year defenseman Nick Harloff and added rookie forward Nathan O'Nabigon, formerly of the University of New Brunswick Varsity Reds, to their official roster.

The Rage now have 14 players under contract for the upcoming 2008-09 Central Hockey League season.

O'Nabigon, 25, has never played a shift of professional hockey but he has plenty of big-game experience at the major junior and Canadian university levels.

The 6-foot-2, 215 lb. left winger won a Memorial Cup with the Ontario Hockey League's Kitchener Rangers in 2002-03 when he was teammates with Mike Richards and Derek Roy, now of the Philadelphia Flyers and Buffalo Sabres, respectively.

Rather than turn pro following his junior career, O'Nabigon instead decided to attend UNB where he helped the V-Reds win the national University Cup tourney in 2007. UNB then steamrolled its way to a 26-1-1 regular season mark last year before losing in the CIS final.
Huge loss.

Old
09-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Can you imagine if a coach could get Cuddihy to actually play 60 minutes a game?! That would be an asset to any team, as he does have shifts of brilliance between too many minutes of "where'd he go?". I'll have to ask Gardiner next time I see him.
Play 60 minutes a game?? That would be legendary conditioning for a forward!!!

Old
09-04-2008, 09:28 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Play 60 minutes a game?? That would be legendary conditioning for a forward!!!
Hardee-har-har ... I think most folks know what I mean, as that is the language the players and coaches use --- "playing 60 minutes".

I have learned that Jimmy is not enrolled in UNB's MBA program ... yet! However, classes only started today at UNB ...

Old
09-04-2008, 11:44 AM
vredsfan

Quote:
Hardee-har-har ... I think most folks know what I mean, as that is the language the players and coaches use --- "playing 60 minutes".

I have learned that Jimmy is not enrolled in UNB's MBA program ... yet! However, classes only started today at UNB ...
There have been sightings of him on campus.

Old
09-05-2008, 09:48 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredsfan View Post
There have been sightings of him on campus.
Yes, maybe I was too vague while failing in my attempt to be coy ...

Yes, he is/was on campus. That is a fact. He may or may not be applying to UNB's MBA program. That is not my place to say.

Everyone should be entitled to privacy on this issue ... much like you wouldn't want it known publicly if you were applying for a job at a competing company. Two years ago former Dal player Brad Pierce applied to both UNB and Dal's MBA program, and once he was accepted by UNB (before Dal got back to him) then and only then did UNB go public about his transfer.

If Jimmy is/was successful in getting accepted he will be an asset to UNB, especially if he improves his on-ice consistency.

Old
09-07-2008, 05:02 PM
AUS Fan

There is no need to be coy, 'Foyle. And I don't think that there is any such thing as privacy here. If someone has 'news' to impart to the masses then it should be said. You'll recall that SMU didn't waste any time getting Rudisuela into the MBA program because G-Mac was waiting for them to drop the ball. I would expect that Jimmy has told Dal that he has applied to UNB, and would also expect that he may not want to go back to Dal.

Old
09-08-2008, 05:50 PM
SuperSquirrel

Players not returning to SMU

AUS FAN, I was just curious to know if you could provide us with some insight as to the players that will not be returning to SMU's lineup this year. I know that Rudisuela has decided to move on, and I've recently read the article regarding Thornton on Hockeyscene.com (although nothing has yet been confirmed regarding his future at SMU). I know that I've heard some of the other names that have been mentioned in the media as not returning, but I can't at the present moment remember who they are... any help? Also, anyone rumoured to be heading to SMU that has not been announced yet?

Old
09-08-2008, 06:31 PM
kexodusc

I would think Beausoleil is done, and likely Chapman and Carberry? Maybe AUS Fan could confirm...
For that matter, I wouldn't mind seeing who else is moving on from all the AUS teams.
UNB has graduated:
Hennigar
Ouzas
Efthimiou
O'Nabigon
Johnston
Johansson
and Madill

...man there's some good players that leave the AUS...we'd have quite the league if we could keep out here longer.

Old
09-08-2008, 07:58 PM
AUS Fan

Beausoleil, Chapman, Carberry, Rudisuela, Bowness, McBride all gone. Hoff ( not playing ), Rorabeck out for first half.
Add Andrew White ( 20 yr old late Moosehead cut )

Old
09-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Fan of the Vreds

Here is what I've heard so far from the Vreds camp. All information comes from a pretty reliable source.

Frist of all Jimmy Cuddihy is a Vred. He has been practising with the team... New recruit Daine Todd is still at camp with the Phoenix Coyotes, Dustin Friesen is in great shape and will be the best defenseman in the CIS.. Newcomers Bretton Stamler and Jonathan Harty are turing heads. Harty plays much bigger than his size and Stamler is very comparable to Friesen. Henderson has also worked hard over the summer on his conditioning and like someone else had already posted he is in for a big year. I was also informed not to pencil in Derek Yeomans as the starter, my source said that Travis Fullerton will be pushing Derek all year for starts. Andrew DaSousa will not be back with the Vreds, apparently he has a job out in Vancouver.Tyler Dietrech is no longer a Vred either did not ask why.. Alex Aldred will be playing defense again this year while Josh Hepditch is going back to a forward. . I also asked him about the potential recruit that is still at a pro camp that Foyle has mentioned yesterday and he shook his head and said "no comment"

Old
09-09-2008, 03:53 PM
SuperSquirrel

Daine Todd out of VReds lineup for pre-season opener?

It looks like Daine Todd will miss UNB's first pre-season game against the STU Tommies as he is listed as being on the roster for 2 exhibition games that the Phoenix Coyotes' rookies will be playing against the LA Kings' rookies, taking place on Sept. 16 & 17. As per the previous post, Todd is currently attending the Coyotes' training camp. UNB is scheduled to play STU on Sept. 17 in their annual President's Cup game, this year being held at the Woodstock Civic Centre. How many games will Todd miss, who knows... but hopefully he'll be in the lineup when the regular season begins. See full article at http://coyotes.nhl.com/team/app/?ser...ticleid=379628.

Old
09-09-2008, 08:02 PM
VOB

Question, how can these players be away at NHL development camps during the school year?

I am amazed at the level of flexibility the CIS offers it athletes in comparison to the very "anal" NCAA in relation to "amature" status and participation in pro sporting events.

CIS hockey is improving and no doubt there will come a point in time where even top American born players will be seriously looking at this option, in no small part due to the very wide latitude the CIS gives its players in trying to advance their pro careers while still maintaining their "student-athlete" eligibility.

Old
09-13-2008, 05:09 AM
STUTOMMIES

Squirrel bits

The Daily Gleaner: Jimmy Cuddihy, who had 102 points in 101 games over four seasons with the Dalhousie Tigers, stickhandles during the University of New Brunswick menís hockey practice Friday at the Aitken Centre. Cuddihy has joined the reigning AUS conference champion Varsity Reds for his fifth and final season of eligibility. The University of New Brunswick Varsity Reds, 26-1-1 last season and national champions the year before, have added the stylish forward for his fifth season.

After four seasons as one of the best players on a losing team, Jimmy Cuddihy will cap his Atlantic University Sport's Men's Hockey Conference career with an established winning program.

Cuddihy played the past four years with the Dalhousie Tigers and graduated with a physics degree. He was looking into playing overseas - in fact, he's still listed with France's HC Neuilly sur Marne for the 2008-09 season - but he's at UNB to get his masters of business administration instead.

Cuddihy's decision came late in the recruiting season.

"I was supposed to go to Europe and I had a team picked out in France," he said.

However, a chat with Brad Pierce, a former Dal teammate and captain, convinced him to contact UNB head coach Gardiner MacDougall.

"Piercey had such a positive experience here, on and off the ice," MacDougall said. "He was very successful in school in getting his MBA and was a big part of our national championship team."

After talking to MacDougall, Cuddihy was sold on the opportunity.

"He offered to help out with my masters and told me I'd be playing for a good team with a chance to win.

"It would actually be nice to win a few games," Cuddihy added with a smile.

The Tigers are coming off a 5-20-3 season - 23-77-12 during his time there.

"For four years, it's hard to explain it," Cuddihy said. "We had some good players, I got to play with guys like Jordan Morrison, but we just couldn't win."

"It's a double-win situation," MacDougall said. "Obviously we're getting an experienced player who knows the league and has a high-end skill level. He also has an opportunity to get an MBA degree, which is pretty neat for him as well.

"He's going to be good."

Cuddihy, 24, is six-foot-three and 205 pounds. The former sixth round draft pick of the Detroit Red Wings, 197th overall in 2002, can play centre or right wing.

He's living with fellow UNB forward Chris Hodgson, his teammate for a season and a half with the Quebec major junior league's Shawinigan Cataractes.

After Jason Pominville, now starring for the NHL's Buffalo Sabres, graduated from the junior ranks, Cuddihy led the rebuilding Cataractes in scoring in 2002-03 with 14 goals and 54 points in 66 games.

He had 20-37-57 in 64 games the next year before joining the Tigers.

He fired 40 goals - including 10 in the first 10 games last season - and finished with 102 points in 101 games during his Dal days.

"I guess I'm known for my offensive skills and puck skills," said Cuddihy, who had 14-16-30 in 27 games last season, "so hopefully I can incorporate new things in my game."

MacDougall also added right winger Dion (pronounced Die-on) Campbell from the Melville Millionaires of the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League.

Campbell won the team's Mr. Hustle Award two seasons ago and led Melville last season with 61 points, including 30 goals, in 55 games.

"Good skill level, good kid," said MacDougall, who's tapped that tier 2 pipeline before.

"We've had good success out of that league with the Calvin Watsons and Graham Schlenders and Craig Sokes and Darren Shakotkos."

Cuddidy and Campbell give the V-Reds 13 forwards and seven defencemen, including swingmen Alex Aldred and Josh Hepditch on the point.

"You dress six D a night, so it's a competitive situation," MacDougall said. "Aldred and Hepditch could change positions on a daily basis."

MacDougall says Cuddidy, along with recruits Daine Todd and Jordan Clendenning, can play either wing or in the middle.

"As for lines or linemates, I don't really care," Cuddihy said. "I've never been the type of guy to complain about who I play with. I'm just anxious to go out and play for a good team. It's going to be good."

Cuddihy has top six forward/power play skills but MacDougall says the V-Reds should have good balance up front.

"We'll let that stuff sort itself out," the coach said. "At this time last year, if people had predicted the lines that we would have at the national championships, there probably wouldn't be too many guys with a winning ticket.

"The icetime and lines will evolve," MacDougall said. "Jimmy sees the ice very well and he's definitely going to be a special teams guy."

Local forward Jarrett Paul, a former Fredericton Midget Canadien, is the only walk-on with the V-Reds. Paul, who had 17-21-38 in 57 games for the Maritime junior Woodstock Slammers last season, has survived the first week of UNB's training camp.

The V-Reds will begin the preseason next Wednesday when they play the St. Thomas Tommies at Woodstock's Carleton Civic Centre.

Proceeds from the Battle for Abby game will go to the Abby Taylor Fund. Taylor, a Woodstock native and former Leo Hayes Lady Lions star, has developed lymphoma and is undergoing a two-year treatment plan at the IWK hospital in Halifax.

Tickets cost $10 and there will be a silent auction during the game. To donate auction items, please call Wendy Williams at 461-2600.

The Tommies begin their eight-game preseason schedule Sunday when they travel to Charlottetown to play the UPEI Panthers at 3 p.m.

Old
09-13-2008, 05:14 AM
STUTOMMIES

Squirrels to bid on CIS Nationals

Daily Gleaner: The University of New Brunswick will make a bid for the 2011 and 2012 Canadian Interuniversity Sport men's hockey championship by the November 1 deadline, athletic director Kevin Dickie said Friday.

He and another member of the host committee will travel to Ottawa to formally present the bid early the following week and would expect a decision "within a couple of weeks after," he said.

The CIS championship tournament is set for Lakehead University in Thunder Bay this year and next. Dickie believes there will be competition for the 2011-12 tournaments, "for sure," but doesn't know if they'll come from the Atlantic conference.

Dickie wouldn't reveal the financial elements of the bid.

"There are stakes for sure," he said. "It wouldn't be fair for me to throw a number out because I don't know what that's going to be. We're working through that right now. It's a risk and reward type thing. The thing we know here, is, we're going to sell out. So you just kind of do the math."

But he believes UNB has other powerful selling points, including the status of the hockey program both locally and nationally and the strength of the local entry.

"Number one, we're the big game in town," he said. "CIS hockey doesn't get gobbled up by major junior or anything like that. The second thing is, we're going to have a good team.

"We have a good program here and come that time ... you may not win a championship, but you're not going to be a backdoor team and a potential two and out.

"And obviously, we did such a great job with it here in 2003-04 and we continue to do such a great job with our other events," Dickie said.

Since the hockey nationals, UNB has successfully staged the 2006 CIS women's basketball nationals and the 2008 women's volleyball championship; and will host the 2009 women's volleyball event Feb. 26-28, 2009.

"The CIS is like everybody else, they're trying to enhance their brand," he said. "I think UNB staging national events has helped them do that."

Dickie said UNB season passes, spurred on by the hockey "Grand Slam-" a five-game exhibition package including a Sept. 24 game against the New York Islander rookies, and two games against NCAA Division 1 powerhouses University of Maine Black Bears and reigning NCAA champion Boston College Eagles - are selling "extremely well.

"They're definitely the best they've ever been since hosting the Nationals. As far as the Grand Slam goes, I don't think we'll know until we have the event. But the packages are going really well."

Old
09-13-2008, 09:32 AM
SuperSquirrel

So, now that Cuddihy has officially been announced, along with Dion Campbell (how'd he get thrown into the mix?), I'm curious to know whether MacDougall is satisfied to start the season with the team he has now or whether there's still the possibility of another recruit joining the team after pro camps have concluded (as mentioned in previous posts). Personally, I'd like to think that another late addition is headed this way a la Henderson last year. Any thoughts?

Old
09-13-2008, 12:55 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSquirrel View Post
So, now that Cuddihy has officially been announced, along with Dion Campbell (how'd he get thrown into the mix?), I'm curious to know whether MacDougall is satisfied to start the season with the team he has now or whether there's still the possibility of another recruit joining the team after pro camps have concluded (as mentioned in previous posts). Personally, I'd like to think that another late addition is headed this way a la Henderson last year. Any thoughts?
When I talked to Gardiner last there is still another unnamed potential UNB recruit out there in pro-camp world, who said he would come to UNB if he doesn't get a contract. Gardiner said they would be "fine without him" but he could help their team ...

Old
09-13-2008, 03:37 PM
AUS Fan

UNB Depth

13 Forwards and 7 D-men does not give you much to pick from if injuries occur or poor play is a factor, although I agree that too many guys can lead to problems. It does help having guys like Hepditch, Aldred and even Freisen who all played forward before. I'm looking forward to seeing the V-Reds next weekend to see how the new guys fit into the G-Mac system.

Old
09-13-2008, 06:02 PM
SuperSquirrel

Quote:
When I talked to Gardiner last there is still another unnamed potential UNB recruit out there in pro-camp world, who said he would come to UNB if he doesn't get a contract. Gardiner said they would be "fine without him" but he could help their team ...
Actually, the only other name that I myself heard MacDougall/UNB was interested in, or rumoured to be interested in, was Brock Nixon. Nixon is said, however, to be joining the University of Calgary Dinos (see "CIS 2008-09 off-season recruiting"). He was traded last year from Kamloops to Calgary so him staying in Calgary certainly would not be a stretch, although I haven't been able to find any confirmation of this on the web... maybe it's only speculation at this point. Sure would make a good addition to what appears to be an already great UNB team.

Closed Thread