HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2012, 03:32 PM
RED ARMY EAST

vCash: 500
Shutron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
I dont know if Ben Shutron has had lingering effects from his femur injury, or if he has struggled with another injury, but it doesn't seem hes getting the Ice Time he needs to work off the rust from his original injury if he is otherwise healthy. this guy was one of the top overall defenseman in the country in his rookie season. If hes healthy he needs Ice to get
back in his groove, sitting him games or using him as the 7th D is
not helping his progress, I know
hes rusty but he wouldnt be if he
played.
I totally agree!

Old
01-07-2012, 06:12 AM
VRedsRule

Shutron had a very serious injury and certainly is far from where he was before. Whether he ever gets back to that level is hard to say.

This is not an issue of playing time - it is an issue of performance. UNB's practises are as intense as a game.

I agree he was one of best D in country at one stage. But he is figthing himself.

Old
01-15-2012, 07:36 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Harty was out with the flu this weekend, missing both games in Nova Scotia. Wright, maybe UNB's most steady defenseman, is out with an upper body injury and rumor has it that Fullerton is out, with a long term injury.

Old
01-16-2012, 07:15 AM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
Harty was out with the flu this weekend, missing both games in Nova Scotia. Wright, maybe UNB's most steady defenseman, is out with an upper body injury and rumor has it that Fullerton is out, with a long term injury.
Fullarton has a potentialy Serious Knee Injury. Interesting with both Harty and Wright Out, Desnoyier and Denny are in while Shutron is the lone D in the Bleachers

Old
01-16-2012, 08:36 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Fullarton has a potentialy Serious Knee Injury. Interesting with both Harty and Wright Out, Desnoyier and Denny are in while Shutron is the lone D in the Bleachers
Shutron played both games in Nova Scotia this weekend.

Old
01-17-2012, 08:08 AM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
Shutron played both games in Nova Scotia this weekend.
oh really? what were the D Lineups this weekend?

Old
01-17-2012, 08:35 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
oh really? what were the D Lineups this weekend?
Kidd, Desnoyers, Gallant, Shutron, Stamler and Denny

Old
01-22-2012, 11:49 AM
Rob

With the rash of injuries there is a good chance UNB will finish out of the top 2 and have to play in the first round.

Just have to hope that Lacosta gets healthy and/or Fullerton comes back.

Even beating Dal or STU might be near impossible with Davis in net.

Old
01-23-2012, 04:49 PM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
With the rash of injuries there is a good chance UNB will finish out of the top 2 and have to play in the first round.

Just have to hope that Lacosta gets healthy and/or Fullerton comes back.

Even beating Dal or STU might be near impossible with Davis in net.
Agreed. If Dan Lacosta was Healthy UNB wins that game against PEI Hands Down. The Display by Davis was prob the worst I've seen at this level of hockey it seemed if it was on net it was in, and it wasn't just the goals, the handling of the puck, i think he almost scored two more himself. What a heartbreaker to make that Comeback PEI had nothing in the third and they get one shot with 2 minutes left and bam its over. If Fullarton was healthy right now dan Lacosta would not be playing (Not because of his skill) but he has a very bad groin Pull that will not heal cause he has to play, not a good situation.

My Concern before this game was the fact that UNB has the deepest team they've had on paper ever, which means its likely one of the deepest if not the deepest CIS Team in History, but the results aren't their, wins are close, Goals are not coming easy, power play is horrendous

One good to take out of Saturday it gave Ben Shutron an opportunity to log minutes in the comeback attempt, and he logged a lot of them and got much better as the game went on, and he got off some good shots.

Old
01-23-2012, 08:06 PM
RED ARMY EAST

UNB injury staus

Dan Lacoata didn't practice today, so it's looking like Matt Davis (was not at practice) and Ben Macfarlane may be UNB's only option looking towards the weekend. Not a good situation, but credit must be given these two men for coming to the aid of the V-Reds!
The injury status is very serious, with numerous players out. Carroll, Weibe, Fullerton gone for weeks. Denny (for the season). Kidd, Clendenning, Lacosta with lingering injuries. Macdougall (knee) and Lynes (concussion). Wright (?) has been missed as much as any, as his play has been probably the steadiest of all blue liners this season.
An absolute boat load of injuries!
They have enough forward and defense depth to still roll with any AUS contender. The reality is that they carry two goaltenders (like almost all CIS schools) that can play at this level and both happen to have been hit with injuries. Acadia, Moncton, SMU, PEI are in a feeding frenzy and are going to try and take full advantage of UNB's desperate situation!

Old
01-26-2012, 10:46 AM
VRedsRule

Macfarlane is not part of equation.

Injuries happen - better now than later. Not often both goalies injured at same time but games must go on.

What puzzles me is how a team built on sound defence has played weak team defense over past few months. You would think using 3rd-5th string keepers, with a bunch of rookies, and having key injuries, they would have tightened things up. Instead it is the wild west out there!

Old
01-26-2012, 12:23 PM
Bob Stauffer

Fear not V-Reds fans this is why you host Nationals!
By March UNB will be healthy and they don't have to win the Conference title to advance.
UNB on paper still has the deepest line-up in the CIS, and when they get all their horses back they will be a stone-cold mortal lock to claim their 2nd straight National title on home ice.
Something I told all of you years ago when it was announced UNB was getting the Championships for 2011 and 2012.
Elite programs hosting the the CIS Championships on home ice are almost impossible to beat.
When Alberta (who i'd argue had the best program in the country from 1998-99 to 2005-06) loaded up for the 2005 and 2006 Championships in Edmonton they overcame a coaching change an injury to captain Gavin McLeod to win back-to-back in Edmonton.
UNB clearly has had the best team since, winning titles in 2007, 2009 and 2011.
They will add another one to the docket in 2012.

Old
01-27-2012, 09:16 AM
mikeandI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Stauffer View Post
By March UNB will be healthy and they don't have to win the Conference title to advance.
UNB on paper still has the deepest line-up in the CIS, and when they get all their horses back they will be a stone-cold mortal lock to claim their 2nd straight National title on home ice.
Something I told all of you years ago when it was announced UNB was getting the Championships for 2011 and 2012.
Elite programs hosting the the CIS Championships on home ice are almost impossible to beat.
When Alberta (who i'd argue had the best program in the country from 1998-99 to 2005-06) loaded up for the 2005 and 2006 Championships in Edmonton they overcame a coaching change an injury to captain Gavin McLeod to win back-to-back in Edmonton.
whew, thanks bob my pals out east can rest easy now! any chance you could look into that futures window of yours and let me know if i can book a ticket with my bisons to the spring dance in freddy beach please! even though I know who is going to win it, I still would like to be there to watch them. win or lose gotta love the herd!

Last edited by mikeandI: 01-27-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old
01-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

vCash: 525
I do not for a minute count out UNB. There is a long time between now and nationals. If we look at the current rankings, this is what the pools would likely look like if they qualify as a wild-card:

McGill/Urban Cowboys
UNB
OUA 3rd

Manitoba/Sask/Monkeys
Acadia/Moncton/SMU/PEI
McGill/Urban Cowboys

They would have the easier pool.

However, if they qualify as AUS champion, but are the second or third seed:

McGill/Urban Cowboys
Acadia/Moncton/SMU/PEI
OUA 3rd

UNB
Manitoba/Sask/Monkeys
McGill/Urban Cowboys

And if the qualify as AUS champion and regain the #1 seed:

UNB
McGill/Urban Cowboys
OUA 3rd

McGill/Urban Cowboys
Manitoba/Sask/Monkeys
Acadia/Moncton/SMU/PEI

The one caution I would have is that it is hard for a team to just turn a switch and change the way they play.

Old
01-27-2012, 08:21 PM
Rob

UNB 7 Acadia 1

Only followed the game on twitter. Certainly expected a closer game.

Old
01-27-2012, 11:21 PM
gleanerguy

Outshot Acadia 43-14...Axemen had only 3 or 4 legit scoring chances all game. Different team in front of Fullerton, or perhaps buckled down in front of him because they're concious of his injury...in any case, solid performance. Bailey was 25-7 on draws, Culligan 9-3.

Old
01-28-2012, 09:35 AM
RED ARMY EAST

UNB vs Acadia

Dominant 7-1 performance from UNB, in a crucial first place show down with Acadia. A surprise start from an injured Fullerton, who looked sharp when called upon. Acadia could not match the V-Reds speed and intensity and were completely manhandled on this night. A physical match up with many heavy body check's, This is more like the UNB team that teams will most likely face come in Nationals. Weibe, Clendenning, returned to the lineup. Kidd and Wright (top 6 d) remain out long term.
Acadia slips to 3'rd, as The high flying Blue Eagles keep pace with a big 2-1 road win over X.
With Dal playing two tough road games against UPEI and UNB, Peddle and the X- Men had a chance to put some distance between themselves and the Tigers, but lose another one goal game on home ice.
Dal will be in tough trying to get any point out of Freddy on Saturday night, which means it's crucial for ST FX to pick up points against lowly STU!
I can't figure out what has happened to the X-Men? they continue play below expectations, if they can't pick it up, they are going to miss the final playoff spot. If DAL would have played this way in the first half, X would have been done!

Old
01-28-2012, 09:45 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
I can't figure out what has happened to the X-Men? they continue play below expectations, if they can't pick it up, they are going to miss the final playoff spot. If DAL would have played this way in the first half, X would have been done!

St. FX has lost 9 games by one goal this year, and another two games by two goals with an EN...I think they have just been the victim of some brutal luck this year (and Perricone hasn't been nearly as good as last season). They have been the anti-McGill when it comes to one goal games this season. I definitely wouldn't want to be the 3rd place team playing them in the first round of the playoffs.

Old
01-28-2012, 01:44 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Acadia

On a side note, I wasn't impressed with Acadia's new recruit (Moulson). skating was slow and awkward looking, but he may have just had a sub-par game?

Old
01-28-2012, 03:35 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

vCash: 525
This is one situation where I wish the AUS had double-headers, An Acadia-UNB rematch tonight would be interesting.

Old
01-31-2012, 10:59 AM
austrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
St. FX has lost 9 games by one goal this year, and another two games by two goals with an EN...I think they have just been the victim of some brutal luck this year (and Perricone hasn't been nearly as good as last season). They have been the anti-McGill when it comes to one goal games this season. I definitely wouldn't want to be the 3rd place team playing them in the first round of the playoffs.
regardless of the one-goal losses, with the talent X had last season and with the players they retained, there's no way they should be fighting for their playoff lives...heck, they came within an overtime goal of winning the AUS last season.....you wonder if they've stopped playing for Peddle...he's a pretty intense guy and there's always the fear that a coach like that can easily lose a team once they have a little adversity.....with how well they played last season and their performance at the nationals (they could easily have beaten McGill and been in the national final), it's a stunning reversal to see what they've done this season!!!! good that udem has rebounded with a great season....

Old
01-31-2012, 11:05 AM
austrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Stauffer View Post
Good to see that Rapid Robert hasn't lost any of his bluster....don't even bother buying your tickets if you know the end result....regardless of the stash of talent gardiner has amassed at unb, goaltending is such a huge key in the post-season and at the nationals....fullerton has been the key for unb's success at 2009 and 2011 nationals...if he's not 100 per cent heading into the 2012 tourney, then it's an open crap shoot....that's how critical goaltending is....bob, you no doubt can relate to the years when the Bad News Bears were expected to win but didn't.....goaltending let them down in each instance....and when they finally got great goaltending, they won in 2008 when they probably didn't even deserve to be in the final game...

Old
01-31-2012, 09:02 PM
AUS Fan

"...you wonder if they've stopped playing for Peddle...he's a pretty intense guy and there's always the fear that a coach like that can easily lose a team once they have a little adversity....."

I wonder if the "loss" of Norm Batherson plays any role in this. He was popular with the players and could be a buffer between them and Brad. Now that he is no longer there, that safety valve is gone. Throw in high maintenance guys like Swan and a couple of losses and things can get out of control pretty quick.

Old
02-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

20 Wins

UNB needs four(4) wins out of five(5) remaining games for 20 wins in the season - if they do, it's the fifth year with 20+ wins.

UNB has the tie-breaker on SMU already and is up 2-1 on UdeM and ACD, but lost it to UPEI already 0-3.

UdeM is also in the same boat as UNB needing 4 in 5 to get to the 20. Not bad for a team that only had 10 last year.

With everyone fighting for a Bye and home ice advantage, none of the remaining games are 'locks' except maybe STU, but they will play tough.

I'd like to see a possible 5 game winning streak; show everyone they are back in form plus a win against UPEI would be satisfying. The UdeM game will be noisy with the South Side Elementary schools in the arena.

Old
02-01-2012, 05:13 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

I would assume UNB already has the tiebreaker with Acadia to since they lost in a SO to them....UNB has 5 points vs. Acadia this year and Acadia only has 2 vs. UNB.

The game versus Moncton will be huge...probably the most meaningful season finale they have played in years...it will probably either be a battle for 1st overall or, at the very least, for the 1st round bye.

Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 02-01-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Closed Thread