HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2012, 10:03 PM
RED ARMY EAST

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
I would rather see Clendenning in there no doubt...but I don't see him playing if his conditioning is less than 100%.
I think his lack of playing times in recent games is due to the fact that they want to prevent any further injury, and have him available for Nationals were he has proven to be an important key in UNB's prior success.

Old
02-20-2012, 10:19 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Pei

Quote:
UNB and UPEI....thoughts??
This should be a good test for UNB, as the Island has won 3 of 4 during the regular season. PEI has some dangerous forwards in Carter, Gomes etc.. They have shown the weakness of blowing big leads, as Acadia scored 4 straight after trailing 4-1 monday night and The V- Reds came back from a 6-1 hole earlier in the month. Home ice could be the difference moving forward, as it helped the two first round winners in Moncton and Acadia advance out of the quarter final round. If UNB wins, SMU or Moncton will advance directly to the university Cup.

Old
02-21-2012, 04:59 AM
cishockeyfan

UPEI although I highly respect their abilities, don't have a great chance in this series. Their 3 of 4 wins vs UNB this year are greatly inflamed by capatilizing on the UNB injury goaltender situation, such as the last game when Lacosta played hurt and pulled himself hurt for the second straight night and Davis put on a nightmare performance. the Reds have shown their true colors in the past couple of weeks playing like we expected from them

Old
02-21-2012, 06:56 AM
cishockeyfan

regarding the potential lines, I agree in reality Daine Todd skill wise should be on one of the Top two Lines, but with a full lineup I try and think of the top two lines as Scoring Line 1A and 1B, followed by the Third Line of Todd, Clendenning and Wudrick witch would be Scoring Line 2.0, those 3 Lines would see the Majority of Ice Time, and you throw in the 4th line as the Checking Line.

As someone pointed out with Taylor being needed as a Checking Line Player, while I agree with your comments of his Faceoff Ability cause he is good there no Doubt, despite the Obvious Size difference between Taylor MacDougall and Center Houde-Caron, I would say Houde-Caron is a far more Valuable Checking line Center than Taylor. Taylor does not hit at all, Taylor does not skate well or fast at all for a very effective Forecheck, cause he cant get to the opposing team fast enough, the only thing i see him out on the penalty kill for is when he spreads his arm and Leg span, hes long and can get in the way of a shot or disctract the other teams Power play Quarterback. Houde Caron has shown he has a scoring touch, but more importantly he plays a very strong two way game, hes not afraid to get dirty along the boards, he skates well, and he forechecks very well, and hes very quick, in fact I would say he Hits better than Taylor, or atleast puts the effort in.

And don't get me wrong, cause i know taylor will be in there, and I hope he proves me wrong, scores a goal, or plays well on a penalty kill and wins some key draws, we are all cheering for the same team, all ive mentioned is my personal opinion and preference, Houde-Caron is far more valuable in that 4th line or 3rd line center role, than macDougall, all aspects of his game are better with the acception of maybe Faceoffs. But for the love of G_D if Marc Antoine Desnoyier tries one of those Flip Passes from his own end and fans on the puck and puts it right on the stick of Matt Carter or Jared Gomes, will one of the coaches give him a bit of Lip on the bench, may not have cost us againts STU, but it will vs UPEI, Moncton or St Mary's

Old
02-21-2012, 07:37 AM
AUS Fan

"UPEI although I highly respect their abilities, don't have a great chance in this series."

I agree with you on this one. matter of fact, this was a point of discussion last night driving back from Moncton. My passengers were of the opinion that because of their record, UPEI would have a good chance against UNB.
Mind you, they are SFX fans...

UPEI is very good offensively, but defensively challenged (They gave up 12 goals in the Acadia series). UNB has both the firepower and the shutdown skills to win this series. The best hope UPEI has is to jump on UNB in the first game where they may be a little rusty from the almost two week layoff.

I'm not saying they will win, but that they should win.

Old
02-21-2012, 08:33 AM
cishockeyfan

Some UNB Team Statistics depending on their Goaltender Situation, keep in mind with these numbers, when Fullarton was out twice, Lacosta was forced to play at way less than a 100% with his groin Injuries.

UNB's Record When Travis Fullarton played the complete game
10 wins 0 loss 1 OT/Loss 51 GF 19 GA +32 4.64 GPG 1.73 GAA

UNB's Record When Dan Lacosta played the complete game
7 wins 2 losses 1 OT/Losses 40 GF 22 GA +18 4.00 GPG 2.20 GAA

UNB's record when Fullarton/Lacosta Both Played in the game
2 wins 0 loss 0 OT/Loss 6 GF 3 GA + 3 3.00 GPG 1.50 GAA

UNB's record when any 3rd string or lower played regardless of who started
1 win 3 losses 1 OT/Losses 23 GF 27 GA - 4 4.60 GPG 5.40 GAA

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Numbers of Dan Lacosta and travis Fullarton games solo or together
19 wins 2 losses 2 OT/Losses 97 GF 44 GA + 53 4.22 GPG 1.91 GAA

As you can see healthy goaltenders mean something for the Vreds, if Lacosta was healthy all year when he played, I think its safe to say, the Fullarton/Lacosta Numbers would have been even stronger

Old
02-21-2012, 10:36 AM
dale 1919

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
"UPEI although I highly respect their abilities, don't have a great chance in this series."

I agree with you on this one. matter of fact, this was a point of discussion last night driving back from Moncton. My passengers were of the opinion that because of their record, UPEI would have a good chance against UNB.
Mind you, they are SFX fans...

UPEI is very good offensively, but defensively challenged (They gave up 12 goals in the Acadia series). UNB has both the firepower and the shutdown skills to win this series. The best hope UPEI has is to jump on UNB in the first game where they may be a little rusty from the almost two week layoff.

I'm not saying they will win, but that they should win.
you and your passengers still allowed to drink and drive out there as long as its before midnight? the short fast road in the dirt road poison ivy league has begun

Old
02-21-2012, 10:49 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

I also think, for some reason, having Fullerton in net makes the defense as a whole a heck of a lot better. Just look at the shots/game they give up when each goalie is the goalie of record:

Fullerton: 20, 25, 16, 18, 16, 17, 14, 13, 24, 17, 14, 26
LaCosta: 21, 17, 35, 16, 17, 25, 34, 27, 30, 23, 27, 25
Davis: 28, 27, 30, 28

So they give up 18.33 shots/game when Fullerton is the goalie of record, 24.75 with LaCosta, and 28.25 with Davis. You would think with the weaker goalie they would try to tighten up more defensively and take more chances with Fullerton in net but it has been exactly the opposite.

Also, it should be noted that out of UNB's main centres this season (Bailey, Culligan, Clendenning, MacDougall, Houde-Caron, Campbell, Nesbitt took the most face-offs) Houde-Caron was the best on the team at almost 59%, barely ahead of Nesbitt and Bailey. MacDougall was 55.45% which is obviously excellent but only better than Campbell among those players.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:52 PM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
I also think, for some reason, having Fullerton in net makes the defense as a whole a heck of a lot better. Just look at the shots/game they give up when each goalie is the goalie of record:

Fullerton: 20, 25, 16, 18, 16, 17, 14, 13, 24, 17, 14, 26
LaCosta: 21, 17, 35, 16, 17, 25, 34, 27, 30, 23, 27, 25
Davis: 28, 27, 30, 28

So they give up 18.33 shots/game when Fullerton is the goalie of record, 24.75 with LaCosta, and 28.25 with Davis. You would think with the weaker goalie they would try to tighten up more defensively and take more chances with Fullerton in net but it has been exactly the opposite.

Also, it should be noted that out of UNB's main centres this season (Bailey, Culligan, Clendenning, MacDougall, Houde-Caron, Campbell, Nesbitt took the most face-offs) Houde-Caron was the best on the team at almost 59%, barely ahead of Nesbitt and Bailey. MacDougall was 55.45% which is obviously excellent but only better than Campbell among those players.
you have further strengthened my argument over Houde-Caron being a much more complete player than MacDougall, i did not know Caron lead the team in Faceoff winning percentage

Old
02-21-2012, 02:54 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Thread is over 1,000 posts. Due to database limitations, it has been closed. See here for part 2.