HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2008, 10:00 AM
FreddtFoyle

vCash: 500
I would tend to agree. Unless a guys get a one-way AHL contract, Gardiner has usually been able to convince recruits that a two-way AHL/ECHL contract means you're more than likely heading to the Coast. What seems good this week will change quickly when the NHL camps make their cuts, and then AHL teams make their cuts after the NHL cuts arrive, and free-agents are always second fiddle to drafted players, if for no other reason that the organization and their scouts' reputations are on the line.

Since the ECHL will still be there after graduation, why forgo all of your Junior education package (which can be upwards of $15K per year for some guys) to turn pro early and not make very much money, comparatively.

However all bets are off when you get a one-way AHL deal, as was the case with Darryl Boyce last year. Then Gardiner would tell them to seize the opportunity.

Old
09-29-2008, 05:06 PM
SuperSquirrel

Daine Todd

Daine Todd could be joining the UNB Varsity Reds sooner rather than later as his name was not one of those listed on the San Antonio Rampage's training camp roster which was released today. Todd's name was originally listed in a press release as being 1 of 13 players which were being sent from the Phoenix Coyotes' main camp to San Antonio. What does this mean for VReds hockey... I'm not sure but I'm taking it to be a good sign.

See full article at http://www.sarampage.com/news/rampag...article_id=290.

Old
09-30-2008, 01:23 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Todd

So..what kind of player is this guys anyways? Are we talking top 3 forward? Top 6? He must obviously be a pretty decent player if he made it that far in training camp with the Coyotes...but looking at his CHL numbers they aren't amazing or anything...granted he did play in the WHL which known more for its defence. I'm just wondering what to expect from him...if he does indeed suit up for the V-Reds this year. Further, after missing so much time the chemistry and timing with the other players and his knowledge of the playbook might take abit getting used to..

Old
09-30-2008, 01:53 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
So..what kind of player is this guys anyways? Are we talking top 3 forward? Top 6? He must obviously be a pretty decent player if he made it that far in training camp with the Coyotes...but looking at his CHL numbers they aren't amazing or anything...granted he did play in the WHL which known more for its defence. I'm just wondering what to expect from him...if he does indeed suit up for the V-Reds this year. Further, after missing so much time the chemistry and timing with the other players and his knowledge of the playbook might take abit getting used to..
Daine Todd is a hardworking speedster with tons of heart and leadership.

Last yer he was team captain. The year before he had double shoulder surgery from a birth defect, but came back and played in the playoffs. He is great in the circle, fights for open ice in front of the net and isn't afraid to get his nose dirty.

Is very strong on the puck, has tons of moves and is just as good defensivly as he is offensive.

09-30-2008, 02:28 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-girl View Post
Daine Todd is a hardworking speedster with tons of heart and leadership.

Last yer he was team captain. The year before he had double shoulder surgery from a birth defect, but came back and played in the playoffs. He is great in the circle, fights for open ice in front of the net and isn't afraid to get his nose dirty.

Is very strong on the puck, has tons of moves and is just as good defensivly as he is offensive.
Well this definitely fits with UNB's recent MO...lots of heart and leadership...former captain....good defensive forward...good faceoff man...no wonder they are after him...

Old
09-30-2008, 04:19 PM
FreddtFoyle

Todd is back

I was talking to coach Gardiner MacDougall a short time ago and he said that Daine Todd is back in town and with the team agian, just in time for UNB's road trip this weekend to Boston to play BU and UMass.

Old
09-30-2008, 05:24 PM
SuperSquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
I was talking to coach Gardiner MacDougall a short time ago and he said that Daine Todd is back in town and with the team agian, just in time for UNB's road trip this weekend to Boston to play BU and UMass.
Any word on the other potential recruit that was rumoured as coming to UNB?

Old
09-30-2008, 05:34 PM
kexodusc

Awesome...now, will he bump Cuddihy down off Tremblay/Dickson line or will he play as a winger with Henderson? Either, way, if the kid is half as good as his resume, he's a big boost to the top 3 lines...

I'm guessing Hodgson joins fellow NB'ers Seymour and Hepditch on what could be the most annoying line in the AUS.

Old
09-30-2008, 06:01 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kexodusc View Post
I'm guessing Hodgson joins fellow NB'ers Seymour and Hepditch on what could be the most annoying line in the AUS.
So where does that leave Dion Campbell? I know he hasn't been putting up the points but I have been quite impressed with him so far..

Also, what are they going to do with Aldred? It appears Friesen, Bowman, DaCosta, Harty, Stamler, and Gallant are set as the top 6 D...is Aldred going to be moved between D and F depending on the circumstances? Of course...injuries always have a way of making all of this speculation obsolete as the seaosn goes on...

Old
09-30-2008, 10:29 PM
Rob

Quote:
I was talking to coach Gardiner MacDougall a short time ago and he said that Daine Todd is back in town and with the team agian,
Great news.
Quote:
just in time for UNB's road trip this weekend to Boston to play BU and UMass.
I didn't know they had any road games this weekend. It wasn't in the schedule.

Edit: Out of curiousity I checked out the Umass website and they have UNB down for their first exhibition game.

Last edited by Rob: 09-30-2008 at 11:11 PM.
Old
10-01-2008, 07:09 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
So where does that leave Dion Campbell? I know he hasn't been putting up the points but I have been quite impressed with him so far..

Also, what are they going to do with Aldred? It appears Friesen, Bowman, DaCosta, Harty, Stamler, and Gallant are set as the top 6 D...is Aldred going to be moved between D and F depending on the circumstances? Of course...injuries always have a way of making all of this speculation obsolete as the seaosn goes on...
Well with Todd back Gardiner finally has some injury depth ... and it makes for a little more to play for in practice. I suspect that Hepditch, Campbell, Seymour, Hodgson, and Aldred will platoon for the energy line ... with whomever's "hot" getting the ice time. Of course injuries inevitably strike, and then it becomes a bit of moot point, doesn't it ...

Old
10-01-2008, 07:12 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Awesome...now, will he bump Cuddihy down off Tremblay/Dickson line or will he play as a winger with Henderson? Either, way, if the kid is half as good as his resume, he's a big boost to the top 3 lines...

When I spoke to Gardiner he wasn't sure, or being cagey, whether Todd will drop back in between Hunter and J.S. -- which is where he was practicing before heading to the Phoenix camp. As he says, "that's why you play exhibition games!"

Old
10-01-2008, 07:13 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSquirrel View Post
Any word on the other potential recruit that was rumoured as coming to UNB?
Haven't heard, and I didn't ask Gardiner ... and if you don't ask him directly he usually doesn't volunteer information!

Old
10-01-2008, 01:08 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Great news.

I didn't know they had any road games this weekend. It wasn't in the schedule.

Edit: Out of curiousity I checked out the Umass website and they have UNB down for their first exhibition game.
Yea there isn't (or wasn't atleast, haven't check in a couple days) any mention of it on the schedule on UNB's website....I just heard about it from reading the Gleaner the other day...not a big surprise though....they seem to head down that way every fall for a pair of games.

Old
10-01-2008, 02:40 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Yea there isn't (or wasn't atleast, haven't check in a couple days) any mention of it on the schedule on UNB's website....I just heard about it from reading the Gleaner the other day...not a big surprise though....they seem to head down that way every fall for a pair of games.
It will be featured in tomorrow's Gleaner in a story about Todd.

Old
10-02-2008, 06:52 AM
cishockeyfan

From the Info read on here since Todd was recruited, I would be surprised not to see him on the Tremblay-Dickson Line

As far as I understand Daine Todds numbers don't tell the full story, maybe if he played a full season in the WHL, seems like he would have been more of a 80 point guy there, and in my book = 90 points in the OHL and 100 Points in the Q

With Speed and a good work Ethic by Todd sounds like he could make this top line a nightmare to face for opposing teams. After the Chemistry Bailey, MacIntosh and Pearce developped last year, I can't see them ever being broken up, so looks like this puts Cuddihy with Henderson and Clendenning, which is one hell of a Third Line

I'm pretty excited about the Depth coming off Defence this year too, thats great to have, it was definately a fear I had all season last year, and it never affected us at all, until the Nationals when Desousa was unable to play. Alberta Knew it, I remember their coaches interview saying they focused on us having 3 converted defenseman from Forwards. Friesen obviously being outstanding, I guess he more so meant Aldred and Hepditch

At this point it looks like Aldred will be the 7th D-Man, Ryan Seymour doesn't put up huge Numbers but some goals will come for him, he is very underated, he works very hard and I like to watch him out on the Ice, so I can't see him being a scratch for Aldred to play center. Aldred improved alot over the season on D last year and by the midway point he got very good, but I have to admit for the first few months I was always neverous when he touched the puck back there, he was very soft, and he wasn't giving the puck up alot with soft pass attempts, this was just mine and my game mates opinions, wasn't so much his fault, was definately a big adjustment for Alex to make, and he obviously worked at it

Old
10-02-2008, 08:31 AM
vredsfan

New recruit

Quote:
Haven't heard, and I didn't ask Gardiner ... and if you don't ask him directly he usually doesn't volunteer information!
I dropped by yesterday's practice and did see a new face in camp (besides Todd). I wasn't able to talk to anyone to get a name. Interestingly, he's a D-man, not a forward.

Old
10-02-2008, 09:42 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredsfan View Post
I dropped by yesterday's practice and did see a new face in camp (besides Todd). I wasn't able to talk to anyone to get a name. Interestingly, he's a D-man, not a forward.
That might be Steve Pearce (Rob's twin brother) who graduated/transferred from McGill. He played D for 4 years at McGill, but the current plan is for him to red-shirt this year, but practice with the team, while he does his first year of law school. He could then save his last year of eligibility for next season. On the other hand, if UNB was to have a rash of defencemen injured Gardiner could activate him (and use up his eligibility).

Old
10-03-2008, 09:57 AM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
You also have to remember that the Tigers play the BEST defensive system in the WHL. Defense first, scoring second.

So it just shows you how good of a player he is considering his numbers and how defensive minded his team was.

Though, it also goes to show you how crazy good Helm and Russell are...

Old
10-11-2008, 08:24 AM
SuperSquirrel

Anyone know the extent of the injuries suffered by Pearce and/or Dickson?

Old
10-11-2008, 08:40 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSquirrel View Post
Anyone know the extent of the injuries suffered by Pearce and/or Dickson?
Rob has a knew injury and John Scott looked like he had his right (?) shoulder bandaged last night.

Old
10-11-2008, 09:51 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Frustrating game last night....UNB outplayed Maine for the most part but still came away with the loss....the special teams and goaltending are starting to concern me a bit

Old
10-11-2008, 11:02 AM
kexodusc

Quote:
Frustrating game last night....UNB outplayed Maine for the most part but still came away with the loss....the special teams and goaltending are starting to concern me a bit
The special teams will come with time, though playing against some AUS calibre teams would probably alleviate most concerns. To be fair to the goalies though, those Maine players pounced on the puck and had very fast, accurate shots. I thought the 2nd Fullerton goal might have been stoppable, the rest were just good goals resulting from hard work by Maine - on one goal (I think the 4th?) Yeomans was down and out after making 2 great saves and the UNB D-man failed to clear the loose puck.

The Maine team may have had 13 players drafted to the NHL, but talent and skill wise they didn't look any better than UNB. Their strength seem to be their quickness with the puck.
I haven't seen any CIS teams with such quick reaction time and decision making, what they lack in skill, they make up for in execution. They look like a much more rehearsed, well coach team than the top CIS teams I've seen in recent years.

I wonder what the difference is between the programs. I've heard anecdotally that NCAA teams typically practice an awful lot more, and for longer times than our CIS teams can usually get the ice time for. Not sure if that's true or not. Anyone know?

Anyway, it was a very entertaining game. UNB showed a lot of heart battling back, and dominating them 5 on 5. If not for the early penalties in the first 6 minutes, especially the 5 on 3 goal, perhaps a different outcome. Positive learning experience for an exhibition game.

Old
10-11-2008, 12:28 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
That's what I said on the air last night! Without Hennigar running the power play and Ouzas not in nets the unproven goalies are going to have to step up and the PP has got to get their act together ... they might start my learning from their opponents -- simplify things, crowd the net and work the puck down low. It might not be pretty but it works for the pros.

I agree that NCAA schools all seem to have a real focus on puck movement. They don't overplay the puck ... they shoot it or pass it as quickly as possible. Their forwards are great on the transition game. It must be part of their recruitment strategy ... of course they are bringing in, and competing with, Major junior age players and all of the quality NCAA programs have a history of developing NHL players.

Old
10-11-2008, 02:48 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
The special teams will come with time, though playing against some AUS calibre teams would probably alleviate most concerns. To be fair to the goalies though, those Maine players pounced on the puck and had very fast, accurate shots. I thought the 2nd Fullerton goal might have been stoppable, the rest were just good goals resulting from hard work by Maine - on one goal (I think the 4th?) Yeomans was down and out after making 2 great saves and the UNB D-man failed to clear the loose puck.

The Maine team may have had 13 players drafted to the NHL, but talent and skill wise they didn't look any better than UNB. Their strength seem to be their quickness with the puck.
I haven't seen any CIS teams with such quick reaction time and decision making, what they lack in skill, they make up for in execution. They look like a much more rehearsed, well coach team than the top CIS teams I've seen in recent years.

I wonder what the difference is between the programs. I've heard anecdotally that NCAA teams typically practice an awful lot more, and for longer times than our CIS teams can usually get the ice time for. Not sure if that's true or not. Anyone know?

Anyway, it was a very entertaining game. UNB showed a lot of heart battling back, and dominating them 5 on 5. If not for the early penalties in the first 6 minutes, especially the 5 on 3 goal, perhaps a different outcome. Positive learning experience for an exhibition game.
Well...like I said after the UQTR games....I am taking away the fact that they seemed to outplay Maine rather than what the final score ended up. Once they go back to playing CIS teams I am assuming (hoping) their special teams/defense will be much better...its not so much the PP that I am concerned about as they have plenty of fire power (although the loss of Pearce and Dickson for a significant amount of time defintiely hurts big time) but the PK and their play in the defensive zone.

I thought Maine got a couple bad ones (in all fairness, UNB did as well)....but yeah, when they got an opportunity they buried it...UNB seemed a little snake bitten at times.

Yeah I know NCAA teams are better than CIS teams and, like you said, Maine has a boatload of NHL draft picks, so I guess I shouldn't have expected much but remember, this was their first game of the year and UNB's 9th, and they aren't even predicted to make their conference (Hockey East) playoffs this season let alone being one of the top teams in the country....they are nowhere near the same program they were even 5 years ago. The real challenge will be BC in January...the number one team in the country.

Closed Thread