HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2008, 08:14 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

vCash: 500
UNB 7 Maine 6 F/SO

Once again UNB outshot Maine pretty convincingly (40-26) but were rewarded tonight as they rallied from a 6-3 third period deficit to win in a shootout. The defense and goaltending were still shaky but the special teams came through big, especially the PP. Unfortunately UNB may have lost two of its best forwards for awhile...Todd left the game in the second and never came back (looked like he hurt his elbow or shoulder....he left the ice and went straight to the locker room and looked in a considerable amount of pain) and Bailey was taken off the ice on a stretcher late in the third after he tied the game (I didn't quite see what happened and don't want to speculate too much but he hit the ice pretty hard after scoring so I am thinking it might be a concussion or something...the good news, however, was that he appeared to be talking and moving his limbs a bit while laying on the ice). Losing those two....to go along with Dickson and Pearce...is a massive hit and means the other guys are going to have to step it up big time. Campbell didn't play tonight for some reason either....

Old
10-11-2008, 09:16 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Once again UNB outshot Maine pretty convincingly (40-26) but were rewarded tonight as they rallied from a 6-3 third period deficit to win in a shootout. The defense and goaltending were still shaky but the special teams came through big, especially the PP. Unfortunately UNB may have lost two of its best forwards for awhile...Todd left the game in the second and never came back (looked like he hurt his elbow or shoulder....he left the ice and went straight to the locker room and looked in a considerable amount of pain) and Bailey was taken off the ice on a stretcher late in the third after he tied the game (I didn't quite see what happened and don't want to speculate too much but he hit the ice pretty hard after scoring so I am thinking it might be a concussion or something...the good news, however, was that he appeared to be talking and moving his limbs a bit while laying on the ice). Losing those two....to go along with Dickson and Pearce...is a massive hit and means the other guys are going to have to step it up big time. Campbell didn't play tonight for some reason either....
Todd clearly got slashed across the wrists, although the ref handed out a holding penalty.

Bailey got an elbow right across the chin from Maine co-captain Jeff Marshall and then landed face first on the ice. He may have been out cold before he hit the ice. It was clear what happened from the press box, and a video replay confirmed the hit although Thayer Doyle and his linesmen clearly missed the penalty, which should have been a major and perhaps a match.

Dickson appeared to hurt his shoulder in the Friday game.

Not sure about Campbell.

Old
10-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Fan of the Vreds

I sit behind the bench and can shed some light on what happend to Campbell. He got hit pretty hard just inside Maine's blueline as he got to the bench he yelled out that he could not see he actually started to pass out when someone on the bench grabbed him. They immediately called for Joe who held him up and started to massage the back of his neck. This seemed to bring Campbell around a bit as he was able to walk down towards the dressing room on his own. Rough weekend is all I can say. Joe was a busy man. Right after the incident with Bailey, an older man sitting in section 4 was having some issues and the team doctor had to go attend to him. The paramedics were called in and they were just leaving as I was walking out to the car. Not to forget the poor person who got hit with the puck... To pull some positives we won, Fullerton looked good in the shoot out and let's not forget the 50/50 winner....

Old
10-11-2008, 11:06 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Yeah...the number of casualties are starting to pile up for UNB...maybe time to rethink the whole playing 10 exhibition games thing. Thanks for the info Foyle...I couldn't really tell what happened to either Todd or Bailey from my vantage point (and obviously didn't have the luxury of instant replay)...I assumed Marshall must have did something as he seemed to hang around the scrum longer than most....hopefully they are nothing too serious and they both make a speedy recovery.

Old
10-12-2008, 07:02 AM
MESSMAN11*

Even though i don't have instant replay
it looked to me like it was Kyle's neck
i was sitting 2nd row directly beside him,
he moved his hand very slightly
but i must point out he didn't use his legs
the hit seemed very diffrent in were i was
"kyle took the shot,Marshall came and beemed him wich seemed to be both head/and neck(i may be wrong on that),then David Bowman skated in as kyles head was twisted sideways and turned his head and then Joe came on the ice, next were the paremedics,the FFD, when I left the AUC after the shootout the ambulance was still sitting out there(assuming it was the one Kyle was in)"
Also I know the girl who got hit and she is doing fine,just a little cut

Old
10-12-2008, 07:07 AM
MESSMAN11*

sorry for the 2 post,
but when someone gets kyles condition could you possibly let me know

Old
10-12-2008, 07:20 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MESSMAN11 View Post
Even though i don't have instant replay
it looked to me like it was Kyle's neck
i was sitting 2nd row directly beside him,
he moved his hand very slightly
but i must point out he didn't use his legs
the hit seemed very diffrent in were i was
"kyle took the shot,Marshall came and beemed him wich seemed to be both head/and neck(i may be wrong on that),then David Bowman skated in as kyles head was twisted sideways and turned his head and then Joe came on the ice, next were the paremedics,the FFD, when I left the AUC after the shootout the ambulance was still sitting out there(assuming it was the one Kyle was in)"
Also I know the girl who got hit and she is doing fine,just a little cut
There was an older male in the ambulance (I couldn't help but look in the window in case it was Kyle).

Marshall's hit was both his forearm and elbow to Kyle's chin ... and of course Kyle was unprotected as he was watching his goal. In the pressbox we also noticed that Kyle didn't move his legs, and we're hoping that was because the team doctor was telling him to do so ...

I'm glad to hear the girl hit was the puck is okay ... that incident got forgotten once Kyle got hit.

Old
10-12-2008, 07:27 AM
STUTOMMIES

The hit on Bailey sounds serious. I hope he is alright. Is that the type of hockey they play in the NCAA? Makes you wonder if Americans see this sort of thing regularly in the NCAA and helps their sterotype of hockey along. It's an exhibition game against a non-conference rival for goodness sakes.

Bottom line, I wish Kyle (and Dion) well.

Old
10-12-2008, 07:36 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
The hit on Bailey sounds serious. I hope he is alright. Is that the type of hockey they play in the NCAA? Makes you wonder if Americans see this sort of thing regularly in the NCAA and helps their sterotype of hockey along. It's an exhibition game against a non-conference rival for goodness sakes.

Bottom line, I wish Kyle (and Dion) well.
The biggest issue with NCAA teams that I have seen over the years appears to be that they wear the full cage, and show little respect with their sticks. In Bailey's case, the "chin music" or "forearm shiver" might not have had such harsh consequences if he was wearing the full cage ... but it still doesn't excuse what should have been a match penalty if Thayer Doyle wasn't so incompetent.

Old
10-12-2008, 07:39 AM
MESSMAN11*

Freddy
do you know when you will be next taking with G-Mac?

Old
10-12-2008, 07:51 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Freddy
do you know when you will be next taking with G-Mac?
Tuesday for sure, but I may be talking to him sooner, although it is a holiday weekend.

Old
10-12-2008, 07:52 AM
MESSMAN11*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
Tuesday for sure, but I may be talking to him sooner, although it is a holiday weekend.
do you know if you will be able to recieve any info on Bailey?

Old
10-12-2008, 08:05 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
do you know if you will be able to recieve any info on Bailey?
I'll be trying ...

Old
10-12-2008, 10:32 AM
MESSMAN11*

do you know were i could get a practice shedule for the V-REDS
Fappy Thanksgiving everyone

Old
10-12-2008, 11:55 AM
SuperSquirrel

Kyle Bailey

I'm really not sure whether or not it's my place to disclose this information but as there are a number of you who are obviously concerned about the wellbeing of Kyle Bailey (as I was), all I can tell you is that I have learned that he has been released from the Hospital. I don't have any idea when he was released or how serious his injuries are but I would think that him being released only a half day or so after having been taken by ambulance to the ER would definitely be considered a positive sign... unless of course he has been taken to a different location.

It's not my place to speculate as to the extent of his injuries and the main reason that I hesitated posting this message is that it's really none of my business and if for some reason I was given false information, then I would hate to be the source of such a rumour, even if my intentions were good. All I'm trying to do at this point is let you know what I know as I can see that a lot of you are concerned.

Let's all hope each of the guys has a speedy recovery with whatever they are battling.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Old
10-12-2008, 01:21 PM
MESSMAN11*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSquirrel View Post
I'm really not sure whether or not it's my place to disclose this information but as there are a number of you who are obviously concerned about the wellbeing of Kyle Bailey (as I was), all I can tell you is that I have learned that he has been released from the Hospital. I don't have any idea when he was released or how serious his injuries are but I would think that him being released only a half day or so after having been taken by ambulance to the ER would definitely be considered a positive sign... unless of course he has been taken to a different location.

It's not my place to speculate as to the extent of his injuries and the main reason that I hesitated posting this message is that it's really none of my business and if for some reason I was given false information, then I would hate to be the source of such a rumour, even if my intentions were good. All I'm trying to do at this point is let you know what I know as I can see that a lot of you are concerned.

Let's all hope each of the guys has a speedy recovery with whatever they are battling.

thanks for the info
hopefully he is fine
my assumtion is grade 3 concussion but you never know
hopefully we se him back on the ice soon

Old
10-12-2008, 01:37 PM
AUS Fan

UNB Injuries

I read the recent posts about the UMaine-UNB game and the subsequent injuries. I also hope the injury to Bailey is not serious. As far as rumour regarding him being released or not, I wouldn't be too concerned over that, as long as you state that the rumor is just that.
Puck drops on Friday...

Old
10-12-2008, 04:55 PM
MESSMAN11*

from what i have heard on here he must be doing well
last night when he wasn't moving i kept thinking of one name "Sebestien Savage"
do you know if the video will ever be released i am really curious i hi hope kyle is back in a V-REDS jersey soon,so yeah if anyone gets any more info on Kyle or Daine let me know.
I assume you are having a good thanksgiving everyone

Old
10-12-2008, 05:06 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
do you know were i could get a practice shedule for the V-REDS
Fappy Thanksgiving everyone
UNB usually practices during the week at 4:00 pm at the AUC.

Old
10-12-2008, 05:08 PM
MESSMAN11*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
UNB usually practices during the week at 4:00 pm at the AUC.
does it vary from week-week what day
also do they ever practice on the weekends

Old
10-12-2008, 05:22 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
does it vary from week-week what day
also do they ever practice on the weekends
It can vary, but usually from 4:00 to 5:00 p.m. They don't normally practice on the weekend as that's when they have games or travel. Sundays are their one day off, when the players are expected to catch up on their homework.

Old
10-12-2008, 05:29 PM
kexodusc

Hope these aren't serious injuries, hate to see that at the university level. That hit by Marshall was Todd Bertuzzi cheap and if it happened in the NHL on national TV it'd be front page news.

Moving forward, UNB might have grind it out a few games. Pearce and Bailey were 2 parts of the explosive 2nd line last year which really separated them from the rest of the pack, Dickson and Todd are first line forwards. Hard to imagine any team being able to overcome the loss of 4 or their top 6 forwards. Wow...that's a gift to the rest of the AUS.

But UNB is deep up front and at D, the goaltending vs CIS opponents is very solid if not spectacular and should get better as they play more. They'll at least tread water until the ranks fill up again if these guys are out for any length of time.

I don't think the exhibition schedule can be blamed. They've suffered more injuries to forwards in these games than pretty much all of last year. It's bad luck, plain and simple, and 4 of the injuries came in the span of 24 hrs...this could have been the only 2 exhibition games they played...

As for on ice performance...All in all, this year's squad looks good, and when they go back to playing regular opponents, the concerns will probably die off some.

To put a bit of optimistic spin on this, I'm glad to hear Bailey is doing ok. Also good to see that Dickson wasn't wearing a sling or cast or anything. Unless the slash broke a bone, Todd should be back in time for game 1, but he could be sore for a while...but I feel bad for Campbell. He's really been getting stronger each game and the symptoms mentioned above can be a bit scary.

Old
10-12-2008, 05:31 PM
Fan of the Vreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSquirrel View Post

This is the information I got from another member of the Vreds and close friend of Kyle's. Kyle was released from the Hospital last night, he has a mild concussion yet should be in the line up Friday night In PEI. I also heard that Campbell is day to day but no information on Daine Todd.

Old
10-12-2008, 07:34 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Bailey

Well...after how grim things looked last night, if all of this information on Bailey's condition is accurate (mild concussion, doing well) I think it is safe to say that this news is just about the best any of us could have hoped for.

Old
10-12-2008, 08:10 PM
Rob

The attendance for these two games was embarrassing. Even by Fredericton standards. We are lucky to have as much quality hockey as we do because we are not a hockey town. If UNB was in Saint John they would have packed the place.

Anyway I just hope that they really market the hell out of the Boston College series. They should be mentioning it every home game during the first half. I just hope they haven't lost too much money because of this.

Closed Thread