HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2008, 10:28 PM
MESSMAN11*

vCash: 500
a few things that i have been wondering
whats the deal on this Jarret Paul?
Also
i think the age limitation is 30 and Chiarello must be pushing 30, do yolu guys think he will ever dress with the reds again?

Old
10-13-2008, 12:01 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
The attendance for these two games was embarrassing. Even by Fredericton standards. We are lucky to have as much quality hockey as we do because we are not a hockey town. If UNB was in Saint John they would have packed the place.

Anyway I just hope that they really market the hell out of the Boston College series. They should be mentioning it every home game during the first half. I just hope they haven't lost too much money because of this.
Couldn't agree more...averaging less than 2000 is terrible...my biggest concern is that UNB will be weary of bringing in quality teams like Maine and BC in the future because of the possibility they may not be able to make up the costs involved through the attendence....the people who support the team by going to all the games are really going to lose out...

Honestly...I would be surprised if the BC games are much better....like the games against Maine (which occured during Thanksgiving weekend) the dates for BC (early January) aren't much better as alot of students are going to be home for the holidays among other things...

Old
10-13-2008, 09:32 AM
MESSMAN11*

For those of you who are yet to see the Gleaner article on the V-REDS and there injury situaton i am posting a link to the article.
http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/s...article/446142

one thing that it did not provide wich i wish it did is return dates for these guys.
The official word on Kyle is so great, much better than I think anyone who was there Saturday night would ever expect.

Old
10-13-2008, 09:46 AM
kexodusc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MESSMAN11 View Post
For those of you who are yet to see the Gleaner article on the V-REDS and there injury situaton i am posting a link to the article.
http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/s...article/446142

one thing that it did not provide wich i wish it did is return dates for these guys.
The official word on Kyle is so great, much better than I think anyone who was there Saturday night would ever expect.
Wow, are Dickson and Todd both out with separated shoulders? Not good.

Old
10-15-2008, 11:44 AM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Poor Dainer.

10-15-2008, 12:18 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Injuries...

From today's Gleaner...Todd and Dickson are out at minimum a month, Bailey and Campbell are out indefinitely, and Pearce is out atleast two weeks...ouch

Old
10-15-2008, 06:18 PM
SuperSquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
From today's Gleaner...Todd and Dickson are out at minimum a month, Bailey and Campbell are out indefinitely, and Pearce is out atleast two weeks...ouch
Personally, considering some of the rumours that I've been hearing regarding these injured players, I think that this is good news. Myself, as long as the team is together and healthy by the start of the 2nd half... I'll be happy. If they're not, I think you would definitely see MacDougall bring in a few key recruits at Christmas.

Old
10-17-2008, 10:42 PM
FreddtFoyle

UPEI 4 – UNB 3 (OT)

The UPEI Panthers seemed to feed off the energy of a rare full house at the McLauchlan Arena as they bent, but didn’t break, in defeating the visiting UNB Varsity Reds 4-3 in overtime. There appeared to be a lot more shots than the 31 shots credited to UNB and 20 shots credited to UPEI in the first conference game of the season for both teams, each of whom started rookie goaltenders: Jhase Sniderman (Toronto, ON) for UPEI and Travis Fullerton (Riverview, NB) for UNB.

With both UPEI and UNB short-staffed up front due to preseason injuries the line combinations were jumbled for both teams to open the season. UNB got on the board first as Chris Hodgson (Fredericton, NB) barrelled up the right side and drove the net, scoring at 3:26 just before he knocked the net off its moorings. Just over a minute later the Panthers tied it up as Greg O’Brien (Cornwall, PE) got in behind UNB’s defence, waited for the UNB to commit, and then forced Fullerton to make a big save and then rookie Jordan Knox (Skinner’s Pond, PE) banged in the rebound with nary a UNB defenceman in sight.

The second period saw tighter play and less end-to-end action, but lots of scoring chances none the less. UNB had the edge in territorial play but neither team could break the tie.

Very early in the third period, just 32 seconds in, rookie defenceman Zach McCullogh was the trailer on the rush and he hammered a shot past UNB’s Fullerton to give UPEI their first lead. UNB responded less than a minute later at 1:13 when Jimmy Cuddihy (Aylmer, QC) got the puck to Hunter Tremblay (Timmins, ON) who was unmolested in the blue paint long enough to snap the puck past Sniderman. Midway through the period the Panthers restored their lead when a fortunate bounce saw a loose puck come from the boards to Matt Carter (Mississauga, ON) who was all alone in the slot. Carter then performed a nifty pirouette to deke Fullerton. UNB poured on the pressure, but Sniderman was strong in net, robbing Cuddihy with his quick trapper several times. With less than 40 seconds to go in regulation UNB took Fullerton out of the net for the extra attacker and won two key face offs in a row. The second face off win saw Cuddihy feed Tremblay again, who snapped the puck in to tie it up once again.

In the overtime UNB had an early power play when 6’6” Aaron Dawson (Peoria, IL) was forced to hook a speeding Tremblay. UNB was unable to get the puck past Sniderman on the power play. Seconds after killing off the penalty UPEI went on the powerplay when UNB got tagged for too many men on the ice on a bad line change. On that power play UPEI patiently moved the puck around the points until defenceman Bret Nasby (Grimsby, ON) saw his opportunity and wired a puck past Fullerton for the win 4:57 into the overtime.

Note: John Scott Dickson, Kyle Bailey and Dane Todd did not play for UNB, although Bailey did take the pre-game warmup skate. Rob Pearce and Dion Campbell were back in the line-up and were a going concern all night.

Old
10-17-2008, 11:25 PM
timbitca

Thanks for the recap, we had gotten the scores at the rink but hadn't heard anything else. Couldn't wait to hear how the mighty V-Reds had managed to lose a game

So Dickson and Todd didn't dress? Thought so, but they were listed on the stats on the AUS site so I was kind of wondering what was going on. Did Gardiner dress anyone in there place, because there's only 18 players listed on the stats sheet (+2 goalies). I'm going to hasard a guess Gardiner wasn't in the best of moods after the game?

Old
10-18-2008, 07:15 AM
kexodusc

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
Thanks for the recap, we had gotten the scores at the rink but hadn't heard anything else. Couldn't wait to hear how the mighty V-Reds had managed to lose a game

So Dickson and Todd didn't dress? Thought so, but they were listed on the stats on the AUS site so I was kind of wondering what was going on. Did Gardiner dress anyone in there place, because there's only 18 players listed on the stats sheet (+2 goalies). I'm going to hasard a guess Gardiner wasn't in the best of moods after the game?
Knowing Gardiner and his optimism, anytime you can come away with a point on the road missing 3 of your top 4 forwards, that's a victory in itself. Even UNB isn't immune to the effects of multiple injuries.
My own thoughts - sounded like UNB played well enough to win this game against a very much improved PEI.

Also, judging by the CHSR broadcast, Cuddihy had a helluva game. I noticed he's starting to hit more and the effort level seems to be a bit higher on both sides of the puck - could G-Mac be coaching this guy to his potential? We'll see...

For the first period at least, UNB was getting outplayed by PEI, something I haven't seen in a few years. Safe to say they'll be one of the most improved teams and make the playoffs this year for sure this year.

Glad to hear Bailey is going to be back soon. Not sure how effective Pearce was, but another week should help him get back in the groove too, which returns a few of the 4 top 6 forwards we thought would be gone for awhile this semester...whew. That'll give UNB enough forwards for 4 lines again and should bring in that extra punch on offence next week.

As for other teams waiting for UNB losses...they're just giving the AUS a headstart until they get healthy again...make the most of it.

So injury ravaged UNB escapes with a point. I hate the OT loss point, it shouldn't exist, and it has too much affect on standings in a league with only 28 games, almost 3 times the effect it has in the NHL. At least over 82 games it's watered down some. Each year it seems there's a few teams in the CIS that lose their way to the playoffs or finish ahead in the standings over teams with more wins. Not right. When you think back to the purpose of the OT loss point, it was brought in by the NHL to make teams "go for it" in OT because boring teams were trapping in OT trying to preserve the tie, a problem that never existed in the CIS in the first place!

Ah well...we'll grudgingly accept the pity-point.

Old
10-18-2008, 11:52 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post

I didn't talk to Gardiner after the game ...

UNB didn't have a full roster. Defenceman/forward Alex Alred played his second game in a row up front, at centre no less. Gardiner was juggling his lines all night, double-shifting Tremblay in particular. One shift Trembly was playing with Chris Hodgson ...

Rob Pearce looked to be in his old form and Dion Campbell seemed to be unaffected by his recent concussion. Fullerton looked pretty solid in nets, but the player of the game should have been Sniderman who had to make more, and bigger, saves.

I've seen UPEI twice now and Nasby has impressed me both games ... could be why he already has an "A". The whole UPEI team is much better than last year, and UNB wasn't able to outskate them as they used to as for the most part the Panthers did an effective job of clogging up the middle and coming back to help their D.

Old
10-18-2008, 12:21 PM
AUSIE

Looks like UPEI is the real deal. Challenge will be to keep the boys focussed as they have alot of talent. Like UNB two key players were out of the UPEI line up last night former Spitfire McPhee arguably their best defensive defenceman and Vitarelli an important cog in their offence. Should be an interesting season once they get all hands on deck . Ditto for UNB . Acadia has also loaded up and are ready to challenge...

Old
10-21-2008, 08:58 PM
eraserhead

Has Fullerton picked his game up yet? Judging from his stats against UPEI, no. He looked terribly shaky against the Islander rookies whereas Yeomans was very solid.

Old
10-21-2008, 09:28 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Goalies..

On the whole though Fullerton had a much, much better pre-season than Yeomans...

Old
10-26-2008, 03:39 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

UNB/Acadia game

I never got a chance to listen to the game last night...anyone who went to it or listened to it have any thoughts or observations? They would be greatly appreciated.

Old
10-26-2008, 07:23 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
I never got a chance to listen to the game last night...anyone who went to it or listened to it have any thoughts or observations? They would be greatly appreciated.
UNB looked more like the old UNB against Acadia on Saturday. Yeomans was back in the nets, and he looked more like the undefeated goalie of last season. The game was pretty even until the third period, when UNB started to take control and Acadia's Chaisson was keeping them in the game. If not for their two PP goals, Acadia would have not pushed this to OT. In the OT it was all UNB, with Stamler playing the best I've seen from him all season. Tremblay had numerous chances and of course set up Friesen for the OT win.

Old
10-26-2008, 07:28 PM
kexodusc

Quote:
From what I gathered from the broadcast, the game was a bit more lob-sided than the shots and score would suggest, particularly the second half of the game where it sounded as though UNB was outplaying Acadia substantially. Shots in the 3rd period were 11-2, and in OT 10-3, in favor of UNB.

Yeomans had to be sharp on a few breakaways, the result of the odd defensive breakdown. I didn't hear any mention of any bad goals let in from either goalie (though Chiasson may have been fooled by MacIntosh's goal.)

Sounds like the bigger ice surface gave UNB a few problems breaking out of their zone early in the game - that seems to be the case every year.

Bailey had his second 2 pt game...man I'm glad he's back, he's a big part of the offence.

Not much to say - sounded like a hard fought road win. Looks like every team in the AUS is going to have at least 1 really strong scoring line and a very capable power play so teams better stay out of the box or work on special teams.

Old
10-26-2008, 09:37 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Getting off the Sniderman story for abit...have there been any updates on the injuries to Dickson/Todd/Seymour? I assume the first two are still weeks away from being back?

Old
10-30-2008, 11:06 PM
Rob

Yeomans looked shaky last night against STU. Hopefully after a few more games he will be back to himself. Not ready to throw him under the bus like some fans are.

I anticipate that Fullerton will get the start against X on Saturday and Yeomans against SMU on Sunday.

Old
10-31-2008, 07:55 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Getting off the Sniderman story for abit...have there been any updates on the injuries to Dickson/Todd/Seymour? I assume the first two are still weeks away from being back?
No ETA on Dickson or Todd. Seymour skated the warmup on Wednesday, so he might be ready to go this weekend.

Old
11-02-2008, 05:39 PM
Rob

I didn't get a chance to listen to any of the games this weekend. I think this is the first time they've lost two in a row since 05-06 season.

Wonder how the goaltending held up?

Old
11-02-2008, 08:08 PM
SuperSquirrel

Quote:
I didn't get a chance to listen to any of the games this weekend. I think this is the first time they've lost two in a row since 05-06 season.

I listened to both of the games this weekend and IMO neither of the losses were the result of bad goaltending. Although it did sound like both Fullerton and Yeomans gave up some pretty big rebounds that resulted in goals. Bad goaltending or poor D... you decide.

UNB badly outplayed StFX on Saturday night but Battochio stole the show... shots were 38-16 in favour of UNB. You can't ask anymore from your team than that.

Today, I thought the game was more evenly matched but overall I'd give a slight edge to UNB... shots favoured UNB 36-29 (including OT). SMU scored all of their regulation goals on the PP... special teams were obviously the difference. I think that the boys are really missing Dickson on the PK.

Old
11-03-2008, 05:20 AM
jonjon

Send a message via MSN to jonjon
Got a question... Why does UNB's record says 3-2-1 with 7 points, when by my count they should be 3-1-2 with 8 points. Am I missing an AUS rule that I'm not familiar with? Any help would be appreciated.

Old
11-03-2008, 07:28 AM
timbitca

Heh. Probably just a typo on the part of the AUS guys. It's 3-1-2 8pts on the CIS site.

Old
11-03-2008, 07:50 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:

On Saturday Fullerton was completely overshadowed by Bottachio in the X net who stood on his head and stole the game for X (especially in his ability to grab rebounds and prevent UNB second shots). Fullerton wasn't very busy for stretches, and then had to deal with turnovers. He could have been better, but UNB did outplay X almost completely and deserved at least a point if not the win.

On Sunday afternoon Yeomans looked more like the undefeated goalie of last season. The first three SMU goals were all on the powerplay, and worse (or better) the goals were tap-ins after pucks bounced off players or the post right on a SMU stick. Even the overtime winner game off a scramble that saw a rebound land right on the SMU d-man's stick for the tap-in.

The difference Sunday was UNB's special teams, which were inconsistent. UNB had a 5-on-3 when the game was tied in the third period, and got nary a shot. UNB had a power play in overtime, and didn't generate good scoring chances. Even strength ... UNB was carrying the play.

Closed Thread