HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2008, 08:14 AM
cishockeyfan

vCash: 500

UNB played 2 Outstanding road games here, despite the 2 losses they dominated St FX in their own barn yet came up short 5-2. I know its been said here the shots were 38-16 in favour of UNB , but I watched the game on Webcast and the shots according to the Shot clock at the rink were actually 45-16, with the 16th shot being the empty net goal by st fx.

If you remember back to last season both games UNB played down at St Mary's they won but the Huskies actually outshot them both times, this tiume UNB outshot them 36-29 and came up short, so they actually played a stronger game thean last year

The biggest difference in these 2 games this season is simple = Ouzas, I find it hard to believe Mike Ouzas would have given up more than 2 goals againts ST FX on 15 shots, I believe UNB would have won this game despite ST Fx's great goaltending either 2-1, 2-0 or atleast got a 2-2 tie and chnace to win in OT. 4 goals againts on X's first 11 shots just isn't acceptable

I didnt see the SMU game so I can't fault Yeomans on this night, but its safe to say Verge played the better game on this night

UNB is definately missing Dickson, not that Henderson isn't playing well on that line, but for the depth, same goes with Daine Todd, I believe this guy is going to be a great player in this league and this means 2 of UNB's present top Line Henderson and Cuddihy, may actually be part of UNB's Third line

I taking a guess we will not see Todd until atleast after Xmas possibly Later, he told me he is still awiting results on his shoulder for the seriousness of it. Hope its soon look forward to seeing how he plays I missed the Maine Black Bear Games

Old
11-05-2008, 03:08 PM
MESSMAN11*

No offence to Derek Yeomans or Travis Fullerton,
but UNB deffinetly has a goaltending issue.
Any chanse Gardiner will pull a rabbit out of his hat at Christmas and bring in a goalie?
I doubt it but who knows.
Any chanse we will possibly see Gene Chiarello start getting some action?
Well anywho I hope they can get the goaltending problem fixed, ASAP

Old
11-05-2008, 09:51 PM
Rob

Don't expect any goaltending change to come until after this season.

Old
11-06-2008, 08:00 AM
FreddtFoyle

It is extremely rare to see a goaltender join a AUS team at Christmas ... I strain to remember when I have ever seen that happen.

It is still early in the season, so I wouldn't be throwing the goalies under the bus yet. However, in a worst case scenario I could see UNB recruiting another new "stud" goalie for next season if Derek or Travis can't rise to the challenge ... which would then leave UNB with three young goalies.

You won't see Gene suit up again for UNB, and on the bench, unless Derek or Travis get hurt. I consider Gene a friend, so I feel almost disloyal to say that he is not now the goalie he once was (back when he was much younger and fitter in the pre-cancer days ...).

All that being said, I would agree that UNB has a goatending "issue", but not a goaltending "problem". In Fredericton we have been perhaps spoiled in recent years to see some of the best goalies in the CIS, A+ goalies so to speak. So the expectations are high, and right now Travis and Derek are at more of a B+ or A- level, although I felt Derek played fine on Sunday against SMU and was victim of a couple of bad bounces.

Old
11-06-2008, 10:35 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

While I agree the goaltending has been less than stellar so far this year I wouldn't place all the blame on Yeomans and Fullerton. One, facing 15 shots/game can't be easy in terms of staying sharp. Second, everyone has a bad streak every once in awhile.....but when it happens at the first of the season it always seems to get blown out of proportion/exaggerated. Third, as the guys mentioned on the air over the weekend...it seems UNB has given up an inordinate number of goals that have simply been the result of some bad luck...players being in the right place at the right time, the puck finding a stick somehow, bad bounces, etc....can't do too much about those. Fourth, we as fans have to have somewhat realistic expectations...I am sure both Yeomans and Fullerton would admit they have struggled so far and can be much much better but we can't expect them to come in and duplicate what Ouzas was able to do over the last two years...as Foyle said, we have been spoiled with goalies the last little bit...the kind of seasons Bourcier and Ouzas put up over the last handful or so seasons are the exception and not the rule in the CIS. Fifth, and I think this is the real issue...the PK and defense has not been up to par in the early going....it seems UNB struggles to gain possession of the puck for a clear when they are shorthanded...3 of the goals SMU scored were PP goals so it is hard to fault the goalie entirely when the guys in front of him aren't playing the best...also, like someone mentioned earlier, alot of this may have to do with the fact Dickson is out....he is arguably their best penalty killer and shot blocker. This may be a situation where we don't realize how important a guy is to the team (in ways other than scoring) until he isn't out there. Anyways...I'll be concerned if this is still going on in December....but for now I am still optimistic things will get better.

Old
11-06-2008, 11:00 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

2011-2012 Nationals

In case anyone hasn't seen this yet...this was in todays Gleaner http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/article/472301

I must say...I feel pretty optimistic about UNB's chances...but even the worst case scenario is that the tournement will be held in the region and only a short drive away.

The University of New Brunswick Varsity Reds and Dalhousie Tigers will face off for the Canadian Interuniversity Sport national hockey championship in 2011 and 2012.

Actually, they'll face off in December to determine which school will host the CIS tournament in those two years. The Atlantic University Sport rivals are the only two schools to submit bids to host the six-team tournament, which is hosted by the Lakehead Thunderwolves in Thunder Bay, Ont. this season and next.

UNB athletic director Kevin Dickie will fly to Ottawa and make the presentation to the CIS selection committee in Ottawa Dec. 2-3, with the committee announcing its decision in December.

Dickie said the AUS rivals were aware the other school were bidding,

"I had heard there was one other place as well, but obviously it didn't come to fruition," said Dickie. "We're optimistic, and I'm sure Dal is too."

Dickie believes UNB's successful history of hosting CIS championships, including the 2003-04 hockey championships' at the Aitken Centre; the 2006 CIS women's basketball championships, and the CIS women's volleyball championships last year and this, will help tilt the bid in their favour.

"The student-athlete experience has been very positive in the national championships' we've hosted," said Dickie. "I think we've proven we can profile the brand of the CIS, especially with the men's hockey championship. You know we're going to have a very good team. We've stood that test of time. And the final thing is, it's the big game in town. We're not competing with major junior hockey or minor pro basketball. University sport is what Fredericton is all about."

"It's early in the process," UNB head coach Gardiner MacDougall said. "But we've had an enthusiastic group that has been together for the past six months or so. We have a lot of the people who were involved before. They have a lot of knowledge and a lot of passion."

Roger Shannon, who chaired the successful 2003-04 tournaments here, and Lloyd Henderson, who was part of that committee, are co-chairs of the steering committee. Dickie is confident in the strength of the UNB bid.

"I think it's really exciting that it's going to be in the AUS," said Dickie. "But regardless of who the competition was, it doesn't change what our strengths are and what we bring to the table. I'm confident regardless of how many people are in the competition."

Still, Dickie isn't certain what the CIS selection committee -- voting members will consist of CIS president Dick White of Saskatchewan or his designated alternate, the vice-president marketing or his alternate, the vice-president of sport or his alternate, as many as four additional CIS members and two external experts -- is looking for.

"You're not of one mind," he said. "We can't try to speculate what the people in that room might be hoping for or thinking. We know we're going to do this thing rightr. We know we're going to fill the stadium and we know what our revenues are going to be. We'll do OK. But it's not about money. It's about hosting this event for all the right reasons. That would be the goal. The residual would be, if you do it right, you know you're going to make a few dollars too."

Dickie said UNB will not resurrect the bronze medal game which was part of their package in 2003-04. UNB had pitched the coaches to establish the game with the idea that it contributed to the athlete's experience. However, it was scrapped when the tournamnent moved to Edmonton and the University of Alberta in 2005 and has not been restored.

The 2003 and 2004 events played to bumper crowds at the Aitken Centre. University of Quebec at Trois Rivieres Patriotes won the gold in 2003, blanking the St. Francis Xavier X-Men 3-0, In 2004, X came back to defeat UNB 3-2 in double overtime to win the CIS championship.

The CIS also received a bid from Atlantic University Sport to return the CIS men's basketball championship tournament to Halifax, where the event was successfully staged from 1984 to 2007. There is no competing bid.

Old
11-06-2008, 11:15 AM
timbitca

Sweet! Great news for the AUS and it's hockey fans. Myself I'm going to root for UNB to get it seeing as it's an hour and half less of a drive, and you can be sure I'll be there to watch, Aigles Bleus or not. Hopefully I get to watch this one, was so busy working the stats in Moncton I barely remember anything of the two tournaments, besides our games

Old
11-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Foredeck

This is good news.

I personally hope that Dal gets it. Simply because UNB doesn't need it as much right now. Dal is close to losing their program unless they improve, and they are having a hard time recruiting. This could get some excitement going, and help the coaching staff attract a few good prospects.

Old
11-06-2008, 11:56 AM
FreddtFoyle

I would agree with Bruins fan that the PP and PK might be more of an issue right now than goaltending. Face it, it UNB gets more than one PP goal on Sunday (like on that 3rd period 5-on-3) they win the game. The good news that the PP is fixable ... I believe they have to come up with a post-Hennigar setup and stop stubbornly trying to get that pass through the slot to the defenceman racing in off the point to the back door. The play was/is great when it works, but I think everyone knows the play now and has worked out a defence (all the defenders collapse into the slot and not challenge the points).

Old
11-06-2008, 02:59 PM
FreddtFoyle

I had to go so I didn't finish ...

I also agree, and have been saying for awhile now, that J-S Dickson has been vastly underrated for his role on the penalty kill. The team knows how important he is but a lot of fans might not be aware.

Of course most people are aware how effective he is on the power play, as he is probably UNB's best trigger man (although Kyle Bailey looks to be growing into that role since he arrived).

Old
11-06-2008, 10:47 PM
Rob

Dalhousie? It would have made more sense for SMU to have put in a bid.

Old
11-07-2008, 10:44 AM
FreddtFoyle

TV Game Tonight

Tonight's game between UNB and StFX will be broadcast on Rogers TV (province wide?). We're back on the radio for tomorrow's game against SMU.

Old
11-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
Tonight's game between UNB and StFX will be broadcast on Rogers TV (province wide?). We're back on the radio for tomorrow's game against SMU.
Do you know how many of their games will be on Rogers this season?

Old
11-08-2008, 05:35 AM
kexodusc

Much better effort tonight all around, particularly the special teams. I think Yeomans might want the 2nd goal back but it was a pretty sweet shot. Not sure what happened on the first goal but it looked like the UNB d-man apologized to the goalie right after it was scored? Miscommunication maybe?
Yeomans looked pretty solid overall.
Great to see Dickson back blocking a few shots, and chipping in offensively. With him back, UNB's a bit closer to icing the real UNB lineup...Not sure he's gonna stick on a line with the likes of Hepditch, Hodgson, or Aldred for long though

Old
11-08-2008, 01:15 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Do you know how many of their games will be on Rogers this season?
I don't have the schedule ... I only found out midweek that we were doing last night's game. I know there is a UNB-UdeM game on the schedule, one of the UNB-Boston College games, and one more game. I'll try to find out and post it here.

Old
11-09-2008, 06:14 PM
Rob

The power play was brutal against SMU last night. Yeomans definitely had his best game at the AUC.

So UNB has now lost 3 of their last 4 games. Have to go back at least 3 seasons since that last happened.

Last edited by Rob: 11-09-2008 at 06:33 PM.
Old
11-09-2008, 10:15 PM
AUS Fan

Rob, I beg to differ. SMUs PK was very good. UNB has a very good PP; the glass does not always have to be half empty.

Old
11-10-2008, 05:46 AM
kexodusc

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
Rob, I beg to differ. SMUs PK was very good. UNB has a very good PP; the glass does not always have to be half empty.
Combination of both I think - SMU's PK was solid at keeping the puck to the perimeter all night, but UNB's PP has been in a slump for the last 3-4 games, and they're not taking advantage of their openings as the shots generated prove, (a dreadful 3 shots on 7 attempts) which are probably a better indicator than goals. It wasn't quite as bad Saturday as it was last week though, but it's not as good as it should be. No worries, all teams go through that from time to time. To be fair, there were a lot of shots that missed the net, once those start hitting they can chase some rebounds.

It was a pretty close game that could have gone either with a few different bounces - poor Bailey fanned on 3 one timers in the slot.
SMU looks to be getting their game back and was the first team I've seen skate with UNB 5 on 5 this season, which I'd expect.

I saw with Dickson back and Clendenning out, MacDougall juggled the lines on the fly again. Wonder if he'll have any new combinations for the next game? Seems a shame to have Dickson playing with Hepditch and Aldred but he probably wanted to ease him back into it this weekend.

Old
11-12-2008, 07:02 AM
cishockeyfan

I agree while St Mary's Penalty Kill was obviously very strong, UNB's powerplay has continued to struggle.

I find no one is taking charge on the number 1 line, Tremblay should be the man out there, but he is not a greedy player , but I think right now on the Power Play he needs to be the guy and be greedy. Playing with Cuddihy who likes to also score, and Henderson, who I don't find to have very strong passing game, both those guys like to play with the puck as well, so its a struggle of who to go to? I think the PP will be a much more different story when you throw Daine Todd and Dickson into the mix eventually. MacIntosh really took command of that 2nd PP unit last year much like Hennigar, and I think its just a matter of time before he gets back into the groove. As far as the D-Man are concerned, I found Gallant is stepping it up and really trying to get off that big shot of his, and Dacosta who is having a great year, simply has to pull the trigger more on the PP. He does alot of fakes and seems he wont shoot often. The PP will come around for sure

The Biggest Problem for UNB right now that wont be later in the season, you really could see it againts St Mary's and I even noticed it in the 8-3 win of St FX, is Depth with the injuries this season, they were tiring out and we arent used to seeing that. Againts SMU we played the Cuddihy and Bailey Lines constantly one after another. With Dickson coming back from injury, Seymour obviously not 100%, Clendenning out, Todd out and Campbell they just arent rolling all 4 lines really right now, barely even 3 lines

But its good to get a couple of losses in now, cause I guarentee with the team at full strength it won't be happening often, we havent seen the full roster this year yet, in the regular or pre-season and thats scary.

Old
11-12-2008, 02:26 PM
MESSMAN11*

Hello All,
This post doesn't exactly involve the V-REDS but it will affect us the fans of Fredericton.
Pleas echeck this out ASAP
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...1#post16285971

Old
11-13-2008, 02:59 PM
FreddtFoyle

Personally I think UNB's biggest challenges right now are the power play and the penalty kill. It was the difference against SMU, and has been a factor in all of their losses.

I just wish they would remember that Hennigar isn't here and stop being stubborn and Keep it Simple.

Old
11-14-2008, 01:55 PM
MESSMAN11*

I heard someone say theres a game tonight?????
This isn't right is it?

Old
11-14-2008, 06:01 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MESSMAN11 View Post
I heard someone say theres a game tonight?????
This isn't right is it?
No, there are no games in the AUS tonight. However everyone is playing Saturday night.

Old
11-17-2008, 07:27 AM
FreddtFoyle

What goaltending controversy ...

Yeomans looked like the undefeated goalternder of last season as he played a fine game against Moncton on Saturday night, including stoning all five shooters in the shoot-out.

UdeM is quicker than UNB, up front, for the first time in years, but they appeared to run out of gas in the third ... or probably the difference was UNB's vaunted conditioning program. The overtime was all UNB, as the Varsity Reds defenceman made the difference as they constantly carried the puck on the rush. Moncton has some offensive skating defencemen, but not to the level of UNB.

All of UNB's rookie forwards are out of the lineup due to injury so Saturday was UNB's veteran experience winning out over Moncton's youthful speed.

Old
11-17-2008, 10:33 AM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
UdeM is quicker than UNB, up front, for the first time in years, but they appeared to run out of gas in the third ... or probably the difference was UNB's vaunted conditioning program.
All of UNB's rookie forwards are out of the lineup due to injury so Saturday was UNB's veteran experience winning out over Moncton's youthful speed.
I havent seen U de M in Person this season so they very could well be quicker up front, but Ive always found no matter what UNB team has gone down to play in Moncton the past few seasons, regardless of the talent at U de M that year, they always take advantage of their rink and always seem to be much quicker at the J Louis Levesque arena, and UNB often has a hard time on that surface with the quick bounces off the boards. When Moncton comes to the Aitken Center (and the gold medal game at the Coliseum 2 years ago) UNB seems to be the quicker team.

Foyle which fowards were out of the lineup aside from Clendening, Campbell and Todd any others?

Closed Thread