HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Florida Panthers @ World Championships

Old
04-23-2008, 03:57 PM
therealdeal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
Team Canada always does crap like this. They "punish" guys for stuff in the past that annoyed them because they know they have enough talent to fill the roster. They are upset with Horton for snubbing the tournament last season and for breaking procedure with the WJC (although Horton got hurt before that became an issue). They did the same with Kyle Beach for his negative comments towards Hockey Canada by not selecting him for WJC camp.
They invited him last year and he snubbed them, and now they have a team thats better and he wants to be on it, but they didn't need him, what exactly is crap about that?

therealdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 07:27 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal View Post
They invited him last year and he snubbed them, and now they have a team thats better and he wants to be on it, but they didn't need him, what exactly is crap about that?
This year's team is the about same qualty it usually is. Canada has enough depth that they bring the guys they like. Andy Murray called Horton out last year for declining, and it is the reason he did not get an invite this year.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 08:13 PM
therealdeal

Quote:
This year's team is the about same qualty it usually is. Canada has enough depth that they bring the guys they like. Andy Murray called Horton out last year for declining, and it is the reason he did not get an invite this year.
He's not as good as their other options, and he's snubbed them in the past, who in their right minds would be out looking to pick the guy up?

Old
04-24-2008, 01:17 AM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

It looks like Vokoun won't be playing in the WC. GR says on his blog that a total of seven Panthers will be playing: Anderson, Booth, Bouw, Jokinen, Peltonen, MagJo, and Mezei.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 04:17 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
He's not as good as their other options, and he's snubbed them in the past, who in their right minds would be out looking to pick the guy up?
Jamal Mayers is on the team simply because he is always willing to play, not because he's the best option. You don't take 3rd line type players when you can take goal scorers. You can make 1st/2nd line players play 3rd line, but you can't make 3rd liners play 1st/2nd line. If players like Doan and Nash aren't scoring then the team is screwed because Jamal Mayers certainly isn't going to start magically producing.

You take the best players and find roles for everyone, not define roles and fill them with roleplayers. They do this in the WJC, taking scorers like Boychuk and allowing them to play the checking role, and if they are needed they can easily transition into an offensive role. They don't go take guys like Carson MacMillian simply because they are great 3rd line players.

Old
04-25-2008, 09:17 AM
therealdeal

Quote:
Jamal Mayers is on the team simply because he is always willing to play, not because he's the best option. You don't take 3rd line type players when you can take goal scorers. You can make 1st/2nd line players play 3rd line, but you can't make 3rd liners play 1st/2nd line. If players like Doan and Nash aren't scoring then the team is screwed because Jamal Mayers certainly isn't going to start magically producing.

You take the best players and find roles for everyone, not define roles and fill them with roleplayers. They do this in the WJC, taking scorers like Boychuk and allowing them to play the checking role, and if they are needed they can easily transition into an offensive role. They don't go take guys like Carson MacMillian simply because they are great 3rd line players.
Boychuk sat on the bench because he wasn't effective with limited ice time. Mayers got something like 4 goals last year and his line was a major reason they won a lot of games, so obviously you haven't been paying very close attention.

Old
04-25-2008, 01:51 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Boychuk sat on the bench because he wasn't effective with limited ice time. Mayers got something like 4 goals last year and his line was a major reason they won a lot of games, so obviously you haven't been paying very close attention.
Okay, go ahead, take Jamal Mayers over a former 30 goal scorer.

Old
04-26-2008, 12:55 AM
therealdeal

Quote:
Okay, go ahead, take Jamal Mayers over a former 30 goal scorer.
Sure thing, we've got a 50 goal scorer and also a richard trophy winner.

Old
05-03-2008, 09:31 AM
jol

BTW, Peltonen was named as captain of team Finland.

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Olli and Johansson both scored goals today.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:06 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Olli goal was that typical Olli goal. On the PP from the point he ripped a one timer slapshot into the left top shelf. When was the last time Jokinena scored a ES goal

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 11:25 PM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

I change my stance on Horton getting snubbed after seeing all-around inferior Chris Kunitz on the roster.

mikefavata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 12:29 AM
CanadianPantherFan

Booth was flying in opening minutes vs Canada. Booth is the type that does not stand out in a tournament like this unless he is really hussling. He's playing only 5 on 5 and some pk. minutes (no powerplay minutes from what I could tell). Pretty much same role as with us.

Anderson played in the 3rd,injury to Thomas He looked ok,but had no chance on the two goals.

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 06:23 AM
jol

A couple of familiar names in Slovak roster, Mezei of course, Kolnik and Majesky

JOL

Old
05-07-2008, 09:19 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
Booth was flying in opening minutes vs Canada. Booth is the type that does not stand out in a tournament like this unless he is really hussling. He's playing only 5 on 5 and some pk. minutes (no powerplay minutes from what I could tell). Pretty much same role as with us.

Anderson played in the 3rd,injury to Thomas He looked ok,but had no chance on the two goals.
I thought he should have had the game winner, but there was certainly another one where the D left a man wide open right in front of the crease and Canada made a perfect pass. No chance he or anyone makes that save.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 02:26 AM
CanadianPantherFan

Craig Anderson I would assume is the #1 goalie for you guys now. Tim Thomas was sent home with an injured groin.

Old
05-08-2008, 02:08 PM
jol

O. Jokinen was demoted to second line and he will be playing as winger, at least in Latvia game.

JOL

Old
05-08-2008, 07:55 PM
PanthersRule96

Not resigning Kolnik was a mistake. Someone is going to sign him over summer and he's going to become a product player somewhere else. Can't tell me Campbell, Dvorak, or any of our other marginal wingers were better than Kolnik could have been. He's much better than Peltonen IMO. He's showing why he's so skilled, with both his stats this past year, and his performance at hte worlds.

PanthersRule96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 08:35 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
Not resigning Kolnik was a mistake. Someone is going to sign him over summer and he's going to become a product player somewhere else. Can't tell me Campbell, Dvorak, or any of our other marginal wingers were better than Kolnik could have been. He's much better than Peltonen IMO. He's showing why he's so skilled, with both his stats this past year, and his performance at hte worlds.
I have to agree with you. When we didn't resign him I didn't think it'd be a big deal but he was a good two way player and didn't mind throwing around his body a tiny bit, as small as he was.

The thing is, I thought that his roster spot would go to a forward that would put more points on the board. But when JM's targets main replacements were McLean, Dvorak, and Zednik... we should have kept Kolnik.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 09:10 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
I have to agree with you. When we didn't resign him I didn't think it'd be a big deal but he was a good two way player and didn't mind throwing around his body a tiny bit, as small as he was.

The thing is, I thought that his roster spot would go to a forward that would put more points on the board. But when JM's targets main replacements were McLean, Dvorak, and Zednik... we should have kept Kolnik.
Exactly. At absolute best with those players, it was a lateral move, but Kolnik is more offensively skilled than McLean, Dvo, and Zed, so idk, bad in hindsight.

Old
05-08-2008, 10:19 PM
PanthersRule96

Anderson sucked it up against Germany, getting pulled in favor of Robert Esche.

Old
05-09-2008, 01:38 AM
CanadianPantherFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
Always have been pro Kolnik-Van Ryn on these boards. This past season was the most I have seen the Panthers play (Centre Ice package was available on my cable service so I had to purchase it). In hindsight, Kolnik might have been a better fit on our checking-4th line, or moving up to the 1st line with all the injuries we had ,but you never know.

Old
05-10-2008, 10:52 AM
Tuco

Olli has been a waiste of space in the Finnish team, just like the other last couple times he has come to "help". I respect the fact that he always comes to play for the national team, but his style of play brings nothing to the team. He is not able to control the game like a first line center should. He just does not make plays. He has a great slap shot but that's it. And when you put him to second line he disappears totally. And I won't even start with his defensive play. I really hope we are able to unload him in the off-season.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 09:35 PM
PanthersRule96

All of our players are sucking it up internationally it seems. Bouwmeester is one of only two pointless Canadians through 5 games. Only Steve Staios and the goalies have 0 points as well. He also has the 2nd least TOI of all the defensmen. Anderson wasn't brilliant and was pulled last game against Germany. Jokinen has been demoted and has continued to suck. Idk what his deal is but it isn't good. His trade value may have taken a hit as all the general managers across the league for sure are keeping an eye on his down year and down production. Hopefully he can turn it around or we can stil get good value for him.

Old
05-11-2008, 05:23 PM
PanthersRule96

lol wow Olli absolutely blows lately and also was ejected on a suspect call today in the game where the refs were idiotic, as an understatement. Esche started over Anderson and the US lost 3-2 to Finland. Only positive is Peltonen played well defensively for Finland.