HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Eating Healthy...On a Budget

Old
03-26-2008, 06:12 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Eating Healthy...On a Budget

Any of you hockey savvy people got any tips on eating healthy on a semi-reasonable budget. I tried eating really healthy before and it cost me a small fortune, in fact I than took up the eating habit of not eating because of how ridiculous it was. Anyways, any tips would be amazing.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 07:23 PM
MikeD

Most of the things you can do are pretty much common sense.

1. If your into fresh veggies, buy whats in season. Frozen is cheaper by far and to replace the lost nutrients get a multi-vitamin. at 10 to 15 per month its a very small amount of that saved over buying fresh veggies and it saves you time and money in preperation.

2. Fatty meats are less expensive per pound. What you trim off is offset by the savings per pound. not all fat is bad.... Talk to the Butcher behind the meat counter to help find a selection that will fit your desires and stay in you budget.

3. Try to do your shopping in one location unless multiple stores are convieniently located. It makes no sense to spend an extra hour of your time and a gallon of gas to save a a dollar or two going to multiple stores.

4. if your looking for organics be selective. A can of organic beans is much more expensive than in bulk. Buy natural over packaged where you can.

5. If you feel you MUSt buy organics for items such as fruit, prioritize. For instance, trying to avoid pesticides in non-organic fruits? buying org. strawberries will be healthier over the non-org but cheaper than organic bannanas.

6. Check around for a local community ag program. You might find a good local source for in season products at much lower prices. LocalHarvest.org

7. Use low-cost foods such as beans, lentils, rice and pasta as the foundation of your meals. Choose to eat meatless meals several times a week. You will still get adequate protein if you combine pastas, beans or rice with a variety of vegetables. Eggs are another low cost source of protein.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 12:05 AM
nyrmetros

I'm actually interested in this as well. any thoughts?

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 12:10 AM
nuckfan insk

i was always told tossing a can of tuna in a box of kraft dinner was super cheap and really good for you.
i am extremely interested in this subject

nuckfan insk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2008, 06:00 PM
MikeD

You have to be carefull about tuna. While it is a good source of protien it can also have levels of mercury. For pregnant or women in general its one of those things that you dont want to be a major part of your source of omega-3, protien and such. The FDA allowed levels are based on a supposed amount consumed on average. Many feel that This averaged amount is far below the amounts actually eaten by women. Other fish you should avoid if your going to be eating much of are shark, swordfish, king mackerel, and tilefish.

While Kraft mac and cheese is the lowest in calories, when you use the whole milk and margarine or butter you kind of defeat the health part of it. Use skim milk and do not eat margarine. Did you know that margarine is chemically just one molecule away from being a plastic product? Eliminate margarine and butter from your diet. For many baked goods such as cakes which call for margarine or butter, substitute 2-1 with applesauce! That baked good would now be classified as "low-fat".

a good giude for healthier eating can be found at Waukesha Memorial Hospital's web site. http://www.waukeshamemorial.org/OPag...geID=OTH000357

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2008, 06:49 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

It's hard, but i'm pulling it off a bit on my shoestring college budget.

-Rice
-Beans
-Pasta
-Chicken breast
-Spinach
-Eggs/Egg whites

Those are the core things i'm purchasing. Now I know it's not a complete diet for many, and I understand that, but frankly i'm more on the budget side than I am health right now.

Bag of boneless/skinless breasts are 5-6 bucks at the store (2-3 lbs). Rice with chicken broth. Pasta with a tomato sauce. Rice, beans, chicken. Breakfast is eggs, pinto beans, egg whites with salsa on top.

If you want to do it on a budget, you're going to find yourself eating the same meals over and over again, so you need to get used to that and get used to enjoying mass amounts of the same thing. That was the first big step for me.

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Carl Racki

Send a message via AIM to Carl Racki
Stick to the outside of the supermarket's perimeter...make one lap around the outside, get your meats and veggies and dairy, and go home. Cheaper and healthier.

Carl Racki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 06:56 PM
K-PAX*

eating healthier doesnt actually cost more than eating bad. you just need a keen eye and refrain from buying everything that says healthy or low fat on it.

K-PAX* is offline   Reply With Quote