HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rank the kids we drafted since 2001 in term of potential..

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-08-2008, 07:41 AM
  #1
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Rank the kids we drafted since 2001 in term of potential..

Rank them in term of effectiveness, the ones you think that will be the most valuable for their team in their prime.. While a guy like Chipchura hasnt the offensive skills to become a top 6 foward, he has other strengths in his game making him a good player, his attitude and leadership matters as well..

My list: (tough one cause we have so many players and prospects I like)

#1 Carey Price
#2 Mike Komisarek
#3 Andrei Kostitsyn
#4 Max Paccioretty
#5 Ryan McDonagh
#6 Sergei Kostitsyn
#7 Tomas Plekanec
#8 Chris Higgins
#9 Ben Maxwell
#10 Guillaume Latendresse
#11 Kyle Chipchura
#12 Ryan OByrne
#13 PK Subban
#14 Yannick Weber
#15 Jaroslav Halak
#16 Mikhail Grabovski
#17 Alexei Emelin
#18 Pavel Valentenko
#19 Greg Stewart
#20 Max Lapierre

honorable mention to Matt DaGostini, Ryan White, Wyman..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 08:26 AM
  #2
dude_guy9
Registered User
 
dude_guy9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 237
vCash: 500
What about Duncan Milroy?

dude_guy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 08:35 AM
  #3
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
In terms of potential

#1 Carey Price
#2 Andrei Kostitsyn
#3 Mike Komisarek
#4 Sergei Kostitsyn
#5 Max Pacioretty
#6 Ryan McDonagh
#7 Tomas Plekanec
#8 Chris Higgins
#9 Guillaume Latendresse
#10 Ben Maxwell
#11 Mikhail Grabovski
#12 Jaroslav Halak
#13 Alexei Emelin
#14 Mathieu Carle
#15 Yannick Weber
#16 Ryan O'Byrne
#17 Kyle Chipchura
#18 Pavel Valentenko
#19 J-T Wyman
#20 Pk Subban

Why Andrei ahead of Komi? Well, I think he has the higher ceiling. If I believed that Komi could be a great shutdown dman and put up 45-50 pts then I'd put him ahead of Andrei, but I don't. I think Andrei has the potential to score 40+ and 90-100 pts.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 08:54 AM
  #4
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
I was as impressed with Greg Stewart as the next guy, but seriously people are over reacting to one game.

D'Agostini still has a much higher ceiling.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 09:51 AM
  #5
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,062
vCash: 500
I'm not even going to bother with a list.

We have about 5 guys AFTER the Top-20 who should all be solid NHLers in a few years.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 10:05 AM
  #6
English Hab
Registered User
 
English Hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Ma USA & Hornsea UK
Country: England
Posts: 1,075
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to English Hab Send a message via MSN to English Hab
are we talking ceiling potential or what????

English Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 11:26 AM
  #7
Guy Caballero
Registered User
 
Guy Caballero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,856
vCash: 500
I'm seeing very little respect for Pleks here.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 02:48 PM
  #8
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,670
vCash: 500
I think it's really hard to rank young players with prospects, as we are seeing what the young guys can do, and with prospects, especially the most recent ones, there's a tendency to overrate the new guys imo.

Clearly Price has the potential to be the best of the bunch imo, after that it's a tough call between Kostitsyn and Komisarek as some will say a top pairing defensemen is more important then a 1st line winger. Komisarek is just entering his prime and Kostitsyn just finished his first full season in the nhl. Komisarek is already a staple on our blueline and the hope is that Kostitsyn can become a big time player for us, as he's shown some great flashes. Frankly I think losing Komisarek would be a terrible blow so I guess I'd have him higher, although Kostitsyn has more flash.

Then you have guys like Plekanec, S.Kostitsyn, Higgins, Pacioretty. Pleks is turning into one heck of a player for us, yes Kovalev has been a big part of that line, but I think Plekanec will continue to get better and continue to be a big part of the team. Higgins I don't know what to make of him, have been a huge fan of his and think he can end up being a lot better then he's been so far, as I think he can do a lot more offensively but he needs to be more consistent.

S.Kostitsyn to me he's going to be a main part of the Habs for a long time and I expect him to be a lot better offensively, as I hope to see him shoot more, I love his shot but in the nhl he hasn't really showcased it and hasn't had a lot of success with it but I still think he will score a number of goals while setting up a ton and playing a great all round game. Pacioretty I think he will have a big impact for us, although I'm not sure how much offense he'll provide, meaning I don't know if he will be a top scorer in his prime but the way he plays is something we really need, can't wait to see a big body with skills that is fast and physical.

I'm assuming Streit isn't counted since he was drafted as an overager.

Guys like Latendresse, McDonagh, O'Byrne, Halak, Lappy, Subban, Maxwell, White, Chipchura, Grabo, Valentenko are a good bunch of young players/prospects that all bring some interesting aspects. Lats I don't know how much better he'll be but I'd love to see him be more physical and hopefully in time he works on his mobility/skating. He's got good hands though, so as long as he continues to put the puck in the net, he's going to have a job in the nhl. McDonagh I really like but I don't know if his upside is all that great, to me he's going to be a guy that comes in and plays a safe, steady game, plays physical, brings a good two way game, basicly a guy that does almost everything well but nothing really great. O'Byrne I think I am higher on him then most, I think he can be a really solid bottom pairing guy or better hopefully. Halak I am interested to see how good he can be in the nhl, he stats at every level are so impressive. Lappy I never expected him to be an offensive player but I did expect him to be a good 4th liner for us and he's turning into one imo.

Subban I also think I like him more then most, I really like his upside, if he continues to progress, as he's still only 18 and will have another year in the OHL to work on things and then some time in Hamilton to improve his game. Maxwell is more of a wild card, in that he's highly skilled with the puck but he plays so passive that I have to wonder how his game will translate to the pros. That said he could turn into something really good for us down the road. White I like more since he brings so much grit/sandpaper as well as offensive skills. I think he'll be a good 3rd/4th liner for us as long as he can improve his foot speed/skating. Chipchura I have never thought too highly of his offensive skills but he was outstanding in the calder playoffs last year. I think he'll be a great 3rd liner for us. Grabovski I think is one of the more skilled prospects in our system but his lack of strength is a concern. I think i'm higher on him then most, but he's got to get stronger. Valentenko really impressed me this year, not sure how much upside he has but I do think he will be a good bottom pairing D at least, as he is so physical, solid in his own end and has a cannon of a shot.

Emelin would be right up there but until he's signed I sort of just put him to the side as there is a big concern about us ever seeing him. Guys like Fischer, Carle, Weber, Wyman, D'Agostini, Stewart, Paquet, there's hope that they can bring something to the team down the road. Fischer has a ways to go but he might turn into a solid D in time, certainly has good physical tools but we'll need to see if he can turn it up a few notches. Weber we'll see what he can do in the ahl next year, has some good tools, although I'd like to see him improve his skating and defensive play. Carle I like his offensive game but hope to see him improve his defensive game. Wyman I don't know how much offensive upside he has but I like the rest of his game, so if he can provide offense, I think he can make the nhl. D'Agostini I love his speed and his slap shot but he needs to be more consistent, hope to see him start getting some time with the Habs next year. Stewart I ranked in my last top 20, as I think he could be a good 4th liner for us one day since he's the kind that will do whatever he can to help his team win, has good speed and can chip in offense. Paquet is a lesser known but he's solid in his own end and plays a physical game, good frame, strong, decent puck mover. Has a ways to go yet but I think he could impress down the road.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 02:55 PM
  #9
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
In terms of potential

#1 Carey Price
#2 Andrei Kostitsyn
#3 Mike Komisarek
#4 Sergei Kostitsyn
#5 Max Pacioretty
#6 Ryan McDonagh
#7 Tomas Plekanec
#8 Chris Higgins
#9 Guillaume Latendresse
#10 Ben Maxwell
#11 Mikhail Grabovski
#12 Jaroslav Halak
#13 Alexei Emelin
#14 Mathieu Carle
#15 Yannick Weber
#16 Ryan O'Byrne
#17 Kyle Chipchura
#18 Pavel Valentenko
#19 J-T Wyman
#20 Pk Subban

Why Andrei ahead of Komi? Well, I think he has the higher ceiling. If I believed that Komi could be a great shutdown dman and put up 45-50 pts then I'd put him ahead of Andrei, but I don't. I think Andrei has the potential to score 40+ and 90-100 pts.
In terms of potential, there is no way Subban should be #20 and behind guys like O'Byrne and Carle. He clearly has much more potential than those two because of his incredible level of talent.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 02:58 PM
  #10
Little Nilan
Registered User
 
Little Nilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Praha
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 8,209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Potential can be such a misunderstood term. I like your list though, putting Komisarek at number 2 shows me you didn't simply go for the guys with the most "skill" put those who could impact the game the most.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 05:18 PM
  #11
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kautsitsin View Post
Potential can be such a misunderstood term. I like your list though, putting Komisarek at number 2 shows me you didn't simply go for the guys with the most "skill" put those who could impact the game the most.
Thats what I meant making the list..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 05:21 PM
  #12
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I think it's really hard to rank young players with prospects, as we are seeing what the young guys can do, and with prospects, especially the most recent ones, there's a tendency to overrate the new guys imo.

Clearly Price has the potential to be the best of the bunch imo, after that it's a tough call between Kostitsyn and Komisarek as some will say a top pairing defensemen is more important then a 1st line winger. Komisarek is just entering his prime and Kostitsyn just finished his first full season in the nhl. Komisarek is already a staple on our blueline and the hope is that Kostitsyn can become a big time player for us, as he's shown some great flashes. Frankly I think losing Komisarek would be a terrible blow so I guess I'd have him higher, although Kostitsyn has more flash.

Then you have guys like Plekanec, S.Kostitsyn, Higgins, Pacioretty. Pleks is turning into one heck of a player for us, yes Kovalev has been a big part of that line, but I think Plekanec will continue to get better and continue to be a big part of the team. Higgins I don't know what to make of him, have been a huge fan of his and think he can end up being a lot better then he's been so far, as I think he can do a lot more offensively but he needs to be more consistent.

S.Kostitsyn to me he's going to be a main part of the Habs for a long time and I expect him to be a lot better offensively, as I hope to see him shoot more, I love his shot but in the nhl he hasn't really showcased it and hasn't had a lot of success with it but I still think he will score a number of goals while setting up a ton and playing a great all round game. Pacioretty I think he will have a big impact for us, although I'm not sure how much offense he'll provide, meaning I don't know if he will be a top scorer in his prime but the way he plays is something we really need, can't wait to see a big body with skills that is fast and physical.

I'm assuming Streit isn't counted since he was drafted as an overager.

Guys like Latendresse, McDonagh, O'Byrne, Halak, Lappy, Subban, Maxwell, White, Chipchura, Grabo, Valentenko are a good bunch of young players/prospects that all bring some interesting aspects. Lats I don't know how much better he'll be but I'd love to see him be more physical and hopefully in time he works on his mobility/skating. He's got good hands though, so as long as he continues to put the puck in the net, he's going to have a job in the nhl. McDonagh I really like but I don't know if his upside is all that great, to me he's going to be a guy that comes in and plays a safe, steady game, plays physical, brings a good two way game, basicly a guy that does almost everything well but nothing really great. O'Byrne I think I am higher on him then most, I think he can be a really solid bottom pairing guy or better hopefully. Halak I am interested to see how good he can be in the nhl, he stats at every level are so impressive. Lappy I never expected him to be an offensive player but I did expect him to be a good 4th liner for us and he's turning into one imo.

Subban I also think I like him more then most, I really like his upside, if he continues to progress, as he's still only 18 and will have another year in the OHL to work on things and then some time in Hamilton to improve his game. Maxwell is more of a wild card, in that he's highly skilled with the puck but he plays so passive that I have to wonder how his game will translate to the pros. That said he could turn into something really good for us down the road. White I like more since he brings so much grit/sandpaper as well as offensive skills. I think he'll be a good 3rd/4th liner for us as long as he can improve his foot speed/skating. Chipchura I have never thought too highly of his offensive skills but he was outstanding in the calder playoffs last year. I think he'll be a great 3rd liner for us. Grabovski I think is one of the more skilled prospects in our system but his lack of strength is a concern. I think i'm higher on him then most, but he's got to get stronger. Valentenko really impressed me this year, not sure how much upside he has but I do think he will be a good bottom pairing D at least, as he is so physical, solid in his own end and has a cannon of a shot.

Emelin would be right up there but until he's signed I sort of just put him to the side as there is a big concern about us ever seeing him. Guys like Fischer, Carle, Weber, Wyman, D'Agostini, Stewart, Paquet, there's hope that they can bring something to the team down the road. Fischer has a ways to go but he might turn into a solid D in time, certainly has good physical tools but we'll need to see if he can turn it up a few notches. Weber we'll see what he can do in the ahl next year, has some good tools, although I'd like to see him improve his skating and defensive play. Carle I like his offensive game but hope to see him improve his defensive game. Wyman I don't know how much offensive upside he has but I like the rest of his game, so if he can provide offense, I think he can make the nhl. D'Agostini I love his speed and his slap shot but he needs to be more consistent, hope to see him start getting some time with the Habs next year. Stewart I ranked in my last top 20, as I think he could be a good 4th liner for us one day since he's the kind that will do whatever he can to help his team win, has good speed and can chip in offense. Paquet is a lesser known but he's solid in his own end and plays a physical game, good frame, strong, decent puck mover. Has a ways to go yet but I think he could impress down the road.
to resume.. we are in pretty good posture to make a deal.. We have so many kids that have serious chances to become solid NHLers.. I think Bob will make something big happen this summer..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 05:26 PM
  #13
Sports1131
Registered User
 
Sports1131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boston/Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,170
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
I think Perezhogin should be in there somewhere around Higgins and Latendresse.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 05:30 PM
  #14
Dusty Grooves*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 233
vCash: 500
#1 Carey Price
#2 Mike Komisarek
#3 Andrei Kostitsyn
#4 Ryan McDonagh
#5 Alexei Emelin
#6 Sergei Kostitsyn
#7 Tomas Plekanec
#8 Chris Higgins
#9 Guillaume Latendresse
#10 Ryan OByrne
#11 Max Paccioretty
#12 PK Subban
#13 Kyle Chipchura
#14 Yannick Weber
#15 Ben Maxwell
#16 Jaroslav Halak
#17 Mikhail Grabovski
#18 Pavel Valentenko
#19 Max Lapierre
#20 Greg Stewart

Dusty Grooves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 05:37 PM
  #15
Little Nilan
Registered User
 
Little Nilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Praha
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 8,209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
Thats what I meant making the list..
Dunno if you understood my post or agreeing with, but I said I know that's what you meant... if that makes any sense . But yeah, that's why I like the list.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 05:48 PM
  #16
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
I think Perezhogin should be in there somewhere around Higgins and Latendresse.
I dont considere him as a prospect anymore, I think he is definitively gone as a Habs, its his decision to go back in Russia.. Maybe he will come back one day in the NHL but I doubt.. Perez sure has skills, but he never played at his potential in the NHL, personally I think its a matter of confidence and maybe he hadnt the hart to play in N.A. but right now he is playing in Russia, in a total different league where he can use his speed like he want..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 05:53 PM
  #17
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kautsitsin View Post
Dunno if you understood my post or agreeing with, but I said I know that's what you meant... if that makes any sense . But yeah, that's why I like the list.
Yeah, but some people in this thread were wondering if it was a list based on potential and all.. You said it better, thats why I underlined that part of your post..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 06:19 PM
  #18
Dutchy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Montréal, Québec, Ca
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 3,220
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal
...

Thanks for your insight, Dan.

As usual, your work is really appreciated around these parts.

Dutchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 07:01 PM
  #19
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
I think Perezhogin should be in there somewhere around Higgins and Latendresse.
Perezhogin will return!!

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.