HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skate tongue...

Old
04-08-2008, 10:41 PM
NYRSinceBirth

vCash: 500
Skate tongue...

I've always noticed this, but never asked. How come, some players, seem to have huge tongues on their skates and the are always bent forward? Guys like Kovalev, Ovechkin, Gomez, all have the tongue of their skates really pushed out. While a guy like Malkin tucks it in his sock. Is it just purely preference? Is there actually a difference? What makes it that way, not tying the boot up to the top eyelets (I'm assuming the pushed forward look just comes from skating, and opening the skates up to dry when not in use?)? Thanks a lot to anyone who knows.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 10:46 PM
deanosaur

i really wanna criticize you for not knowing...
im fighting against it.
its purely for preference, and just for looks.
it doesnt make a difference, some people however may feel like it does others dont. but it really doesnt to be honest.
how they get it like that well, after you done using your skates you tape your tongues down for long periods of time to make it bent forward more permanent.
and for the huge tongues, most standard tongues arent that big, it would be a custom order to get the extra tongue, as i mentioned already just for looks.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 11:32 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

It can depend if you put your shins on before your skates. If you trying your skates with your shins already on, you are going to have a hell of a time tucking it under there.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 11:37 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
It can depend if you put your shins on before your skates. If you trying your skates with your shins already on, you are going to have a hell of a time tucking it under there.
No, it's really pretty easy.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 12:32 AM
MG91

totally personal preferance

MG91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 12:38 AM
the_speedster

quick! someone start a thread about wearing your cup backwards!!

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 01:04 AM
NYRSinceBirth

Hmm... sounds like something I should have known? I guess leaving organized hockey at the ripe old age of six ruined my chances to learn this answer. But you figure the years and years of roller hockey would have sufficed? Guess not, thanks a lot.

Edit: I'm actually not very fond of the look, just always wanted to know.

Old
04-09-2008, 09:12 AM
Reckless Abandon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
Hmm... sounds like something I should have known? I guess leaving organized hockey at the ripe old age of six ruined my chances to learn this answer. But you figure the years and years of roller hockey would have sufficed? Guess not, thanks a lot.

Edit: I'm actually not very fond of the look, just always wanted to know.
Yeah, you fail... go play soccer.

Reckless Abandon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 09:59 AM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

yea lets jump all over someone because they asked a simple questions....

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by x eric x View Post
yea lets jump all over someone because they asked a simple questions....
The nature of these boards sometimes.

I don't tuck my tongue under my pads simply because I don't like how it feels. I feel it inhibits my forward flex, but Iím sure it is mostly psychological. As for the long tongue itself, could be not lacing the top one or two eyelets, that is very common, but it could also be that they simply order their skates with a longer one, probably for looks.

I knew a guy who used to cut his tongues from each side so they bent forward easier. Not sure what difference it made in how the skates felt, but he seemed to think it was beneficial.

That's my polite answer

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 06:17 PM
MikeD

Some players might tell that they do not tighten the skate into the eyelets above the top of hte foot. To keep hte firm bottom intergration of the foot in hte skate bed yet keep the looser ankle to allow more comfortable flex, they push the tongue down. It tends to open the top of the boot more and allow them to bring the shin pads lower. your own personal preference...

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Diamond Joe

It's preference but also it has to do with comfort. I like my tongue underneath my shins b/c then the shin covers that part of the tongue and therefore has a greater affect on protecting the foot.

Diamond Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 02:08 PM
NYRSinceBirth

OK, well I tried it last night when I was skating around. It helped a little, only because of how my skates are constructed. My skates (NB XIX) have a hard insert in the tongue, that extends only about .75-1.0Inches passed the top eyelet (I tie the skates all the way up). It's just long enough that it gets in the way SLIGHTLY, but its also just short enough that it doesn't flex that well (the soft part extends further, but it flexes easily out of the way).

Long story short, it felt a little better but it's difficult to keep the hard insert bent forward. It's really not worth the hassle as it's really not that big of a problem/difference. Thanks for the responses, even if a few of them were smart ass...

Old
04-16-2008, 11:51 AM
94now

Quote:

Long story short, it felt a little better but it's difficult to keep the hard insert bent forward. It's really not worth the hassle as it's really not that big of a problem/difference.
No one does it for like a fashion statement, unless the person is stupid. I don't believe Ovechkin is. That is to promote your forward flex. For that you do not use top eyelets and bend the tongue out. For tall players it is beneficial. The drawback , though, is low protection of your foot since shinguards would be worn behind the tongue. You also have to secure your shins better since their shift down may hurt your foot sometimes

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 12:03 PM
Balmer15

Send a message via MSN to Balmer15
i tried it once, to see how it felt...hated, shins over toungue for me!

Balmer15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 01:39 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
OK, well I tried it last night when I was skating around. It helped a little, only because of how my skates are constructed. My skates (NB XIX) have a hard insert in the tongue, that extends only about .75-1.0Inches passed the top eyelet (I tie the skates all the way up). It's just long enough that it gets in the way SLIGHTLY, but its also just short enough that it doesn't flex that well (the soft part extends further, but it flexes easily out of the way).

Long story short, it felt a little better but it's difficult to keep the hard insert bent forward. It's really not worth the hassle as it's really not that big of a problem/difference. Thanks for the responses, even if a few of them were smart ass...
Some guys leave the top eyelet undone to help with forward flex as well. I wouldn't recommend this to guys who are still learning as you're ankle muscles are still developing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
No one does it for like a fashion statement, unless the person is stupid.
I think you'd be surprised at how many people try it because they think it looks cool. Hockey is part fashion believe it or not. I've had lots of people dismiss a pair of elbow, shin, or shoulder pads because of their color....Not the fit, not the pading...The color. NOBODY SEES THE COLOR!!

While function is foremost, fashion is part of the equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshutout33 View Post
Yeah, you fail... go play soccer.
God forbid somebody tries to learn more about the sport. It's not like he asked why goalies wear helmets or why they don't just use a ball.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 03:29 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
I think you'd be surprised at how many people try it because they think it looks cool. Hockey is part fashion believe it or not. I've had lots of people dismiss a pair of elbow, shin, or shoulder pads because of their color....Not the fit, not the pading...The color. NOBODY SEES THE COLOR!!

While function is foremost, fashion is part of the equation.
I know, but as I said "unless the person is stupid". Last time I checked the morons are not banned from playing the game.

I've got different colors for my right and left skate laces as my contribution to it. Nothing else. What's yours?

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 03:48 PM
Sportacus
:)

I always tuck the tongue into the sock. It just feels wrong otherwise.