HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

from forward to defence.

Old
04-08-2008, 12:09 PM
bottleCAPS

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
from forward to defence.

hey guys, tonight is my first game of spring league and i'm pretty excited.

this year due to the huge influx of forwards on our team i'm moving to defence for the course of the season.

i have played a few game on defence and found it to be okay but i was just wondering if any of you guys had to go from FW to D for a season and some of the things you might have noticed in the change of position.

some people say that when you're on the blueline the game moves slower for you and you see a lot more of the ice, i dunno tho so i send out the question to the HF community.

bottleCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 01:05 PM
frito

You do see a bit more while on the blue line. I am basically an utility player, i bounce between forward and D as needed. You can really use your vision from the blue line to be vocal and guide your forwards to good scoring chances. Make sure you "flex" well with your partner. In other words, if your partner is pinching or trying to hold the line as the play is coming up his board, it is your job to flex back and prevent a breakaway chance.

In the defensive zone, think about what you'd be trying to do as a forward and then watch for the other team atempting that. On my daughter's peewee team this year, we focused on the "weasel", that coniving, onory, weasly little forward that alsways manages to sneak around the offensive zone and then wind up uncovered in a prime scoring spot in the slot or just to the weak side. Keep you head on a swivel and look for that guy. He'll be the one to burn you every time. Just remember, if you aren't on somebody then that means somebody is not covered.

Also maintain good communication with your D partenr and your center. Both you and your D partner shouldn't go off into the corner and leave the front of the net uncovered. One hit the corners or behind the net and one stay planted firmly in front of the net to cover the frementioned weasel.

Good luck.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 10:19 PM
PIMking

I play Foward and Defence also. You do see the ice better. The easiest thing to do when you first start is keep the foward thats driving down the ice to the outside of the circles and tell your partner to watch the slot. The reason for this is the foward will have a bad angle shot so the goalie should stop it and the other defenceman should cover the slot.

Dont be like some of the new defencemen and just skate backwards stick check until they hit the goal crease thats not doing you or the goalie any help. Watch the players hips because he cant go anywere unless his hips move. Be prepared to block some shots and keep the front of the net clean for the goalie.

Hope this helps

PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 04:26 PM
mooseOAK*

Don't watch the puck too much in your own zone, probably the biggest change for a new defenceman.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2008, 05:00 PM
ObnoxiousPensFan*

Send a message via AIM to ObnoxiousPensFan*
i play forward and d and just destory anything in my path just pass the puck points dont mean @$$ to me ill take em if i get em i just like to hit people

ObnoxiousPensFan* is offline   Reply With Quote