HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Martin looking to acquire a puck moving defenseman

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-08-2008, 07:56 AM
  #1
OneOfTheHockeyGods*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 990
vCash: 500
Martin looking to acquire a puck moving defenseman

While some think adding scoring punch should be the team's priority, Martin said his priority this summer will be to acquire a "puck-moving defenseman" through either free agency or trade.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/s...,3251797.story

He needs to go as coach and GM. This is ridiculous. His obsession with defense doesn't work as a coach and it translates into the players he wants to acquire. I hope he gets fired from both positions before he wastes assets on a puck moving d-man.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 08:00 AM
  #2
OneOfTheHockeyGods*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 990
vCash: 500
"Martin also put the onus on several young players - Stephen Weiss, Nathan Horton, David Booth, Rostislav Olesz and Kamil Kreps - to improve their offensive numbers next season."

Its hard for them to improve their offensive numbers when we play a passive defense first system which limits our ability to create offense!

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 08:10 AM
  #3
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,028
vCash: 500
1. Martin also made it sound like he wasn't going to get a star goalie last offseason, but he got Vokoun. He doesn't always tip his hand, thankfully.

2. The Panthers allowed some of the most SOG in the league, we don't need to improve our defense a bit?

__________________
So you're saying there's a chance!
Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 08:13 AM
  #4
OneOfTheHockeyGods*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
1. Martin also made it sound like he wasn't going to get a star goalie last offseason, but he got Vokoun. He doesn't always tip his hand, thankfully.

2. The Panthers allowed some of the most SOG in the league, we don't need to improve our defense a bit?
1. teams know what other teams need. its no surprise we needed a goalie.

2. we allow the most SOG because we sit back and let the play come to us. a puck moving defenseman won't decrease the amount of SOGs. a new coach who will implement a better system will.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 08:20 AM
  #5
Georgia Panther
Registered User
 
Georgia Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BufordGA/FranklinNC
Posts: 4,837
vCash: 500
Martin doesn't make forwards a priority, he is always blueline, blueline, blueline. His defense first philosophy as a coach influences his conduct as GM. He hopes the offense takes care of itself while his efforts are concentrated on not losing games rather than going out aggressively to win them. He can't change, it's who he is. HE MUST GO FROM BOTH CAPACITIES!!!

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 08:21 AM
  #6
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
1. teams know what other teams need. its no surprise we needed a goalie.

2. we allow the most SOG because we sit back and let the play come to us. a puck moving defenseman won't decrease the amount of SOGs. a new coach who will implement a better system will.
1. Doesn't mean that Martin is going to go out and grab that from another team, free agency, the draft, waivers, etc. No point in tipping your hand letting other teams know you're desperate for it, correct?

2. We can us an improved defense. it improved with Skrastins coming in, it can improve with a puck moving defenseman coming in. You honestly think the Panthers won't be improved with a guy like Campbell coming in? Buffalo seems to miss him. A top 4 with Bouw and someone like Campbell is a pretty solid top 4. Besides, have you checked out Anaheim? We obviously don't have the same offenseman like they do, but we don't know what Martin is thinking.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 08:25 AM
  #7
OneOfTheHockeyGods*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
1. Doesn't mean that Martin is going to go out and grab that from another team, free agency, the draft, waivers, etc. No point in tipping your hand letting other teams know you're desperate for it, correct?

2. We can us an improved defense. it improved with Skrastins coming in, it can improve with a puck moving defenseman coming in. You honestly think the Panthers won't be improved with a guy like Campbell coming in? Buffalo seems to miss him. A top 4 with Bouw and someone like Campbell is a pretty solid top 4. Besides, have you checked out Anaheim? We obviously don't have the same offenseman like they do, but we don't know what Martin is thinking.
1. Again, it was no surprise that we wanted/needed a goalie. Martin is going out now and saying we need a puck moving d-man!

2. So you give him credit for not tipping his hand but then talk about us acquiring a puck moving d-man which Martin has said numerous times. A new system will improve this team more than any one d-man. I guarantee Campbell will not match his production in a JM system. Going from Buffalo to Florida LOL, he will probably fall asleep on the ice.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 08:31 AM
  #8
angry_treefrog
Moderator
T63813A
 
angry_treefrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canary Islands
Posts: 6,455
vCash: 500
What happened to San Jose after they added Brian Campbell at the trade deadline?

__________________
FLORIDA PANTHERS EPISODE XX: A NEW HOPE



angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 08:35 AM
  #9
OneOfTheHockeyGods*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
What happened to San Jose after they added Brian Campbell at the trade deadline?
San Jose is most likely a temporary stop and they also play a more offensive game than the Panthers. I was using Buffalo because it is more representative of his abilities/stats since he has played there longer.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 08:36 AM
  #10
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
1. Again, it was no surprise that we wanted/needed a goalie. Martin is going out now and saying we need a puck moving d-man!

2. So you give him credit for not tipping his hand but then talk about us acquiring a puck moving d-man which Martin has said numerous times. A new system will improve this team more than any one d-man. I guarantee Campbell will not match his production in a JM system. Going from Buffalo to Florida LOL, he will probably fall asleep on the ice.
1. Martin has always said we need this or that. He didn't make it sound like we were going after a goalie is my point, and he certainly said nothing about Vokoun. For all many of us knew, and the way he played, we could have gone with Belfour before making a move. Smith, Toskala, and Nittymaki were possible goalies who could be moved, noone knew much about Vokoun being available. He certainly didn't tip his hand there.

2. Havent' said we don't need a new coach, but it's smarter for Martin to stay as GM. If not, Martin needs to go tommorrow so the interview process can start tommorrow. A new d-man will improve the team, as will plenty of other players. We're not sure what the younger guys will bring to the team. Guys like Demitra, Hossa, etc. are available.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 08:37 AM
  #11
Georgia Panther
Registered User
 
Georgia Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BufordGA/FranklinNC
Posts: 4,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
What happened to San Jose after they added Brian Campbell at the trade deadline?
Well. Campbell was 3-16-19 and a +9 in 20 games with San Jose but Keenan is going to knock him out of the First Round of the Playoffs anyway just to validate my theories!!! GO HOCKEY GOD !

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 08:41 AM
  #12
OneOfTheHockeyGods*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
1. Martin has always said we need this or that. He didn't make it sound like we were going after a goalie is my point, and he certainly said nothing about Vokoun. For all many of us knew, and the way he played, we could have gone with Belfour before making a move. Smith, Toskala, and Nittymaki were possible goalies who could be moved, noone knew much about Vokoun being available. He certainly didn't tip his hand there.

2. Havent' said we don't need a new coach, but it's smarter for Martin to stay as GM. If not, Martin needs to go tommorrow so the interview process can start tommorrow. A new d-man will improve the team, as will plenty of other players. We're not sure what the younger guys will bring to the team. Guys like Demitra, Hossa, etc. are available.
1. I think we both can agree pretty much every fan has no idea which specific player the GM will acquire. I was saying we all know the needs.

2. His defense first philosphy carries over into the players he wants to acquire.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 08:59 AM
  #13
angry_treefrog
Moderator
T63813A
 
angry_treefrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canary Islands
Posts: 6,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
San Jose is most likely a temporary stop and they also play a more offensive game than the Panthers. I was using Buffalo because it is more representative of his abilities/stats since he has played there longer.
You missed my point. San Jose completely turned their season around after his arrival. I don't think it is a coincidence.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 09:04 AM
  #14
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
You missed my point. San Jose completely turned their season around after his arrival. I don't think it is a coincidence.
No, it's not. He could also be looking at trading a player or two to get a forward.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 09:05 AM
  #15
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
Mogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 9,873
vCash: 813
We want shots against down.. right?? The best cure for this is good offense. It's not like our defense is to blame for shots against more like the forwards who cant create any offense/handle the puck/keep it deep there for the oppotents are in our end all the time

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 09:08 AM
  #16
OneOfTheHockeyGods*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
You missed my point. San Jose completely turned their season around after his arrival. I don't think it is a coincidence.
Completely turned their season around? I don't think so. That is exaggerated. They were making the playoffs with or without him. Are they better? yes. Is he a player who will turn the Panthers around? No. He will have his offense limited under JM which is his best asset.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 09:22 AM
  #17
voxel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 10,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
Completely turned their season around? I don't think so. That is exaggerated. They were making the playoffs with or without him. Are they better? yes. Is he a player who will turn the Panthers around? No. He will have his offense limited under JM which is his best asset.
They were kinda crappy like the Ducks pre-Scotty... both teams were not much above .500.

San Jose used to play dump and chase and had one of the fewest goals for in the league at that point (same with the Oilers) but with Campbell they became a fast transition team.

I re-watched a Panthers game on CI and noticed that the Panther had a hard time breaking out of the zone. It was mostly dump and chase and rather disorganized. I was surprised that JayBo didn't make more outlet passes - he kinda was passive except for the odd end-to-end rushes.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 09:24 AM
  #18
angry_treefrog
Moderator
T63813A
 
angry_treefrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canary Islands
Posts: 6,455
vCash: 500
"He adds just a whole other dimension as far as the uptempo game. He gets the offense going in such a hurry with scary speed," said defenseman Douglas Murray, Campbell's partner on most shifts. "It's great too because you feed off it."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m..._/ai_n24373165

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 09:31 AM
  #19
homegrizown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: pembroke pines fl
Country: United States
Posts: 524
vCash: 500
the problem with this team for the past few years if not ever. is the perfect pass out of the zone or someone who can take the puck into the zone. besides booth and bouwmeester i don't think we have anyone who actually can do it.

i do agree we need a scorer not scoring depth i think we have plenty of guys to play third line. but i think if we added a guy like campbell and somehow brought in a via the trade a really good winger this team might be cured

bouw-skratkins
campbell-allen
van ryn-welch

i say an amazing top 6 with smurph as a 7

we definetly gotta cut ties with peltonen and stumpel maybe even dvo cuz i say we resign belak and montador cuz i'd love a 4th line of

belak-campbell-montador tough and gritty only playing 5-7 minutes a night and there to protect our guys

so i guess going into next year saying we don't trade jokinen and so on

olesz-jokinen-?
booth-weiss-horton
kreps-mclean-zednik
belak-campbell-montador/dvo

homegrizown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 09:32 AM
  #20
OneOfTheHockeyGods*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
"He adds just a whole other dimension as far as the uptempo game. He gets the offense going in such a hurry with scary speed," said defenseman Douglas Murray, Campbell's partner on most shifts. "It's great too because you feed off it."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m..._/ai_n24373165
It doesn't say completely turned the season around. I understand he adds offense. Unfortunately, I doubt it will translate in Florida with JM as coach. Campbell is great offensively but will be stifled here. In fact, I believe, Horton, Jokinen, Weiss etc have a ceiling on their offensive production with JM as coach. Basically, JM needs to go.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 09:36 AM
  #21
homegrizown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: pembroke pines fl
Country: United States
Posts: 524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
It doesn't say completely turned the season around. I understand he adds offense. Unfortunately, I doubt it will translate in Florida with JM as coach. Campbell is great offensively but will be stifled here. In fact, I believe, Horton, Jokinen, Weiss etc have a ceiling on their offensive production with JM as coach. Basically, JM needs to go.
i don't know if i can agree before jokinen slump he was on pace for aboutt he same productive year as last season which was his best offensively and horton and weiss both had almost duplicate years.. i'd say yes we'd hope weiss and horton would have gotten better.

i do agree martin is more defensive but to say he limits those guys i'd say the players just disappointed maybe some of them didn't want to play for martin.

homegrizown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 09:54 AM
  #22
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
They were kinda crappy like the Ducks pre-Scotty... both teams were not much above .500.

San Jose used to play dump and chase and had one of the fewest goals for in the league at that point (same with the Oilers) but with Campbell they became a fast transition team.

I re-watched a Panthers game on CI and noticed that the Panther had a hard time breaking out of the zone. It was mostly dump and chase and rather disorganized. I was surprised that JayBo didn't make more outlet passes - he kinda was passive except for the odd end-to-end rushes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
It doesn't say completely turned the season around. I understand he adds offense. Unfortunately, I doubt it will translate in Florida with JM as coach. Campbell is great offensively but will be stifled here. In fact, I believe, Horton, Jokinen, Weiss etc have a ceiling on their offensive production with JM as coach. Basically, JM needs to go.
Did you miss the post by Voxel, who watches the West? Campbell did help turn their season around, he's a great player. How do you know what Campbell will or won't do with the Panthers. That as a good quote ATF listed, Campbell would greatly help this team. Doesn't mean he's coming here.

We need a new coach, but basically, JM the GM does NOT need to go.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 09:56 AM
  #23
homegrizown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: pembroke pines fl
Country: United States
Posts: 524
vCash: 500
i think liles might be a puck moving defenseman in our 3-4 mil price range unless he has an amazing playoff with the avs then he'll just make bukubucks.

homegrizown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 10:00 AM
  #24
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
It doesn't say completely turned the season around. I understand he adds offense. Unfortunately, I doubt it will translate in Florida with JM as coach. Campbell is great offensively but will be stifled here. In fact, I believe, Horton, Jokinen, Weiss etc have a ceiling on their offensive production with JM as coach. Basically, JM needs to go.
basically, you don't know what you're talking about. does JM handcuff bo? isn't that bo i see cruising in below the goal line to follow up a chip-in? isn't that bo jumping up on the rush to make it a 3v2 or 2v1 and scoring? campbell wouldn't be stifled at all.

as some others have pointed out, his speed and ability to move the puck would change quite a bit. offense starts with defense and transition. that leads to speed and makes it easier to gain the blue line. we don't have enough of that right now. it seems backwards (to some) but we need better defense to stoke the offense.

also, consider your complaints about the type of player YOU think JM desires. now look at campbell. no, sir, not a match. campbell's like a fourth forward and is all about attacking. JM's said that's what he wants. kinda flies in the face of your whole schpiel doesn't it?

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2008, 10:06 AM
  #25
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
basically, you don't know what you're talking about. does JM handcuff bo? isn't that bo i see cruising in below the goal line to follow up a chip-in? isn't that bo jumping up on the rush to make it a 3v2 or 2v1 and scoring? campbell wouldn't be stifled at all.

as some others have pointed out, his speed and ability to move the puck would change quite a bit. offense starts with defense and transition. that leads to speed and makes it easier to gain the blue line. we don't have enough of that right now. it seems backwards (to some) but we need better defense to stoke the offense.

also, consider your complaints about the type of player YOU think JM desires. now look at campbell. no, sir, not a match. campbell's like a fourth forward and is all about attacking. JM's said that's what he wants. kinda flies in the face of your whole schpiel doesn't it?
Agreed. It's not like he's looking at bringing in Kaparaitis, he's talking about a guy like Campbell. How's that ever bad?

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.