HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Fabian Brunnstrom update

Old
04-11-2008, 10:43 AM
Stephen

vCash: 500
What update, there's nothing new on here...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 10:46 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by droller View Post
I wouldn't call it a very defensive league compared to other Euro leagues. I would blame those lower point totals on the players playing with that player. They just don't have the raw skill to move the puck as quickly for good chances.
lack of skill? hmm...not really. it's because of the bigger rinks. you have to skate more and the passes can't be as quickly as on smaller rinks, so in general the gamespeed is lower.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 10:49 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
from what i've seen of regin this season, he's ready to compete for a NHL spot, but he could need a full season of AHL with some call-ups maybe.
i think he's closer to the NHL than brunnstrom. brunnstrom lacks consistency. he is pretty much burned out since january/february. he needs to play another full season of elitserien before even making the jump across the pond.
Good to hear. I think that's how most Sens fans are pencilling him in, as a guy that will probably spend a year in the AHL, but, will be given an opportunity at training camp to convince the coaching staff that maybe he is ready.

As for Brunnstrom, it sounds like even if another season in the SEL is what's best for him, he's in a position to ride this ridiculous hype, and land himself a nice guaranteed contract in the NHL.

discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 10:58 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
Good to hear. I think that's how most Sens fans are pencilling him in, as a guy that will probably spend a year in the AHL, but, will be given an opportunity at training camp to convince the coaching staff that maybe he is ready.
the sens are pretty deep at forwards i assume. since i'd say it's never a bad thing to play one full season in the AHL, it sounds like a good way for regin. but he might even surprise. he's a nice prospect and so far his development looks pretty good.

Quote:
As for Brunnstrom, it sounds like even if another season in the SEL is what's best for him, he's in a position to ride this ridiculous hype, and land himself a nice guaranteed contract in the NHL.
yes, maybe. but if any of the NHL GMs buys the hype of the media, he should lose his job immediately.
brunnstrom is hunted by GMs because of his impressive skillset. he has it, no doubt. but he's simply not ready yet. he played just 3rd and 4th tier before this season, so the intensity of the game is something different at elitserien or NHL. and since he looked really pumped out the last weeks/months, it's a sign that he needs another season just to get condition he needs to play on a high level. so even if he comes to north america, the AHL is what he needs to get the condition to survive a much bigger and intense schedule.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 12:48 PM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
the sens are pretty deep at forwards i assume. since i'd say it's never a bad thing to play one full season in the AHL, it sounds like a good way for regin. but he might even surprise. he's a nice prospect and so far his development looks pretty good.
Ottawa really needs some talent that can step up and provide offence on the top two lines. Anyone who can show the ability to provide offence consistently, can find themselves playing with some of Ottawa's top talent. Next year will be especially rough, since we'll definitely be losing at least one of our top 9 forwards, and will probably have to fill the role internally.

We've got a number of mid-tier forward prospects, many of which hold the potential to be that type of player, but, it's a question of if they can reach that, and how quickly. Regin is in this group, which includes Mirnov, Nikulin, Zubov, Daugavins and O'Brien. Someone from that group is going to make the team next year, I'm pretty sure, with the potential for key ice time. There's no real front-runner among that group for the spot.

I think it's going to end up being a great opportunity for any one of those players to come over, and get a fair shake at a roster spot. I think it's going to come down to who has the best camp, which is some great motivation for all of them.

discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 12:53 PM
amnesiac*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orre View Post
Remember that SEL is a very defensive league, when zetterberg played there during lockout he had exactly 1 PPG, Nicklas Backstrom had 1 PPG etc.
But 24th in scoring? I know hes young, but if hes supposedly an Alfredsson type, he should be top 5, no?

amnesiac* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 01:16 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predatore View Post
I am amazed with all the Brunnström hype. The hype here in Sweden is nowhere near what I have been reading here and seen in NA based articled/magazines. He is good, he is talented and a latebloomer. But he is IMO not even close to being among the top forwards in the elite league.
Don't worry it's HF....

I read tons of raving report on Janne Lahti...some were even putting in the Habs starting lineup....he had all the trouble in the world to play regularly in the AHL....

Not dissing the guy, just saying that they all have to progress and learn the style of play before becoming a NHL'er.....Seems that on HF, the hype = the reality....

Another rude awakening ahead....Let another team than my Habs to overpay for him...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Another rude awakening ahead....Let another team than my Habs to overpay for him...
Overpay? He'll be on a entry level contract (two-way deal). If he can't cut it at the NHL level, he'll be sent down earning a minor league salary. Guy doesn't cost any draft picks. Only downside is that he takes a spot on an AHL/ECHL roster and uses up one of the fifty pro contracts a team can sign. IMHO, "no brainer" to try and sign him.

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 02:46 PM
AndersEriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorro View Post
Here is a new article about the swedish phenom.
I'm sorry but phenom? He is a glorified Jonas Hoglund. Possibly the 5th or 6th best forward on his team. Just stop it with these Brunnstrom threads.

AndersEriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 02:47 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesiac View Post
But 24th in scoring? I know hes young, but if hes supposedly an Alfredsson type, he should be top 5, no?
Forget about that enitre story.

More like Scott Fraser, seriously. (one that alteast EDM and NYR fans remembers)

Top end, Fillpula.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 03:49 PM
deanosaur

ovverrratedd
ovverrratedd
ovverrratedd

anyone else getting tired of of this guy? i sure am.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 07:33 PM
fogducker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post

anyone else getting tired of of this guy? i sure am.
i don't it's the players fault

blame the media

fogducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 07:45 PM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiza View Post
Brunnström was absolutely brutal in the SEL playoffs, absolutely brutal.
He was playing in the playoffs? I didn't notice him

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 08:53 PM
DreamCatcher*

Scott Morrison just said on hockey hotstove that Brunnstrom's destination will be Vancouver.

DreamCatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 08:54 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
According to CBC's Satellite Hotstove, 20 teams have put in bids for Brunnstrom with Vancouver looking to be the clear frontrunner. They mentioned it would likely be a three year deal.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:25 PM
HFNHL Canadiens

Eero Soomervuori v2?

HFNHL Canadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 11:29 PM
steepedtea

Darren Dreger from TSN also claims Brunnstrom will likely join the Canucks

steepedtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 12:02 AM
Agent007

If this is indeed true it's great news for Canucks fans. This is a low risk move that can work out real well for the Canucks.

At the very least this gives Vancouver more depth up front and there's a real good chance he'll challange Mason Raymond for that final top 6 spot.

This all depends on what Nonis is able to get done this offseason and personally I'm hoping he doesn't pencil Brunnstrom in the top 6 yet. It sounds like he could use a little seasoning in the minors.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 01:08 AM
nyrcup94

Quote:
Originally Posted by tray View Post
I have a feeling he is going to be a NHL bust.
With all the hype going to his head, he's being set up for disaster. If he gets a one-way contract and underperforms, all will question the acquisition and then he will lose faith in his own abilities and he will crash, and crash hard.

He's quickly reminding me of someone named Jiri Dopita
I remember the hype about Dopita, supposed to be the best player outside of the NHL and he was a complete bust, ended up going back home to the Czech Republic after less than 2 years in the NHL. And this guy was an older, more experienced player when he came to the NHL.

And if the guys in Sweden aren't even that hyped up on him, then I think he's just getting some buzz about some talent that he's shown, but maybe he's not even ready for the NHL.

Another guy that have shown flashes and then became absolute bust: Scott Fraser (I remember the Rangers signed him to a big contract and he was doomed before he even stepped on the ice at MSG with all the expectations of him and the contract he got).

From a Rangers perspective, I think he would not crack the Rangers lineup and would need to be in the AHL. I don't think Brunnstrom would want to go to the AHL since he will get offers to play immediately.

Let's go Rangers!!

nyrcup94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 01:10 AM
nyrcup94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Forget about that enitre story.

More like Scott Fraser, seriously. (one that alteast EDM and NYR fans remembers)

Top end, Fillpula.
Hey Ola, you beat me to the Fraser comparison As a Rangers fan, I thought about Fraser almost immediately, hence my post

Old
04-13-2008, 01:12 AM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

If he is a bust, who gives a ****.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained...

JannikAtTheDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 01:15 AM
nyrcup94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie For Captain View Post
If he is a bust, who gives a ****.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained...
If you read the article by Dreger, it says that Brunnstrom is going to commend a salary like a top 4 pick, which (with bonuses) about 2 million. That's 2 million in cap space being eaten up by someone who may turn into a complete bust. For 2 million a year, he better be a damn lock for a lineup spot, and produce!

As someone already mentioned, if he was so talented offensively, shouldn't he be higher than 24th in scoring?

Old
04-13-2008, 01:17 AM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrcup94 View Post
If you read the article by Dreger, it says that Brunnstrom is going to commend a salary like a top 4 pick, which (with bonuses) about 2 million. That's 2 million in cap space being eaten up by someone who may turn into a complete bust. For 2 million a year, he better be a damn lock for a lineup spot, and produce!

As someone already mentioned, if he was so talented offensively, shouldn't he be higher than 24th in scoring?
Anyone on an entry-level deal, like Brunnstrom will be, is on a two-way contract I believe. So if he doesn't work out the team can send him to the minors without a huge salary attached.

Don't know if he'll be a bust or not, but there isn't much risk associated with it.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 01:27 AM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Anyone on an entry-level deal, like Brunnstrom will be, is on a two-way contract I believe. So if he doesn't work out the team can send him to the minors without a huge salary attached.

Don't know if he'll be a bust or not, but there isn't much risk associated with it.
You're correct and also that 2 million dollar salary will have a base salary of 850k with the rest being bonuses and if he doesn't hit those bonuses then they don't count against the cap.

It all depends on what triggers the bonuses but if it's performace based then I don't think anyone will be complaining.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 01:32 AM
windflare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent007 View Post
You're correct and also that 2 million dollar salary will have a base salary of 850k with the rest being bonuses and if he doesn't hit those bonuses then they don't count against the cap.
They count against the cap regardless of whether he hits em' or not. But if he's in the minors, of course it's not going to count against the cap.

windflare is online now   Reply With Quote