HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Fabian Brunnstrom update

Old
04-13-2008, 12:33 AM
DreamCatcher*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrcup94 View Post
If you read the article by Dreger, it says that Brunnstrom is going to commend a salary like a top 4 pick, which (with bonuses) about 2 million. That's 2 million in cap space being eaten up by someone who may turn into a complete bust. For 2 million a year, he better be a damn lock for a lineup spot, and produce!

As someone already mentioned, if he was so talented offensively, shouldn't he be higher than 24th in scoring?
It is mandatory for a entry-level contract to be two-way so if he does not perform then the Canucks are allowed to send him in the minors at a salary of 70k a year without occupying any cap space, therefore there is no risk associated.

DreamCatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 12:39 AM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

Ok well if worst comes to worse, Nonis can admit his mistake and waive him if he needs the cap space.

I am sure he'll be fine.

JannikAtTheDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 12:43 AM
DreamCatcher*

I am quite excited to see what Brunnstrom is capable of if he chooses the Canucks, I have not seen skill like this on the Canucks roster since Naslund in his prime:

DreamCatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 12:44 AM
FissionFire

I still have a feeling that somehow he winds up on a team nobody expects.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 01:04 AM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by windflare View Post
They count against the cap regardless of whether he hits em' or not. But if he's in the minors, of course it's not going to count against the cap.
Technically it counts against the cap however if you go over the cap then you can put the amount you go over the cap by towards next years cap.

For example let's say Brunnstrom has 2 million dollars in bonuses.

If the cap is set at 56 million and the Canucks end the season with a cap hit of 57 million then that extra 1 million dollars will be dead space for the 2009-2010 season.

It gives you some flexibility but you're right it does count against the cap.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 02:29 AM
Aqualung

What is with the hype on this guy?

From what it sounds like he's hardly the best young player in his team, let alone the league.

Why not hype other better players from Sweden to NHL contracts?

Aqualung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 02:32 AM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbunnyfufu View Post

From what it sounds like he's hardly the best young player in his team, let alone the league.

Because the players ahead of him in scoring are older, he is only 22 or 23, meaning he has a lot of great developing to do.

Old
04-13-2008, 02:36 AM
Agent007

Quote:

I don't think there's a lot of people that expect Brunnstrom to be an absolute stud but many do believe he's got the potential to be a top 6 forward in the NHL and if that happens it's a heck of a deal for anyone who signs him because they don't even need to give up an asset for him.

It's a real win win situation but personally I don't expect him to do much until the 09-10 season. For the 08-09 season I think he'll just basically be depth in the organization and a prospect to follow in the minors.

Old
04-13-2008, 04:20 AM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrcup94 View Post
If you read the article by Dreger, it says that Brunnstrom is going to commend a salary like a top 4 pick, which (with bonuses) about 2 million. That's 2 million in cap space being eaten up by someone who may turn into a complete bust. For 2 million a year, he better be a damn lock for a lineup spot, and produce!
Why? If he doesn't lock up a roster spot, they send him to the AHL to get used to the North American game, they pay him his 15% or whatever of his NHL salary, and he's off the cap. If he really sucks, they pay him that for 3 years, and he eats up a contract slot, and then they don't qualify him when his contract runs out. Oh noes. It's a pretty low-risk move that could pay off big time if he does turn out to be a solid top-6 NHLer. That's why so many teams are after him.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 04:33 AM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by droller View Post
I wouldn't call it a very defensive league compared to other Euro leagues. I would blame those lower point totals on the players playing with that player. They just don't have the raw skill to move the puck as quickly for good chances.
? He have played on a line that is more or less perfect for him. Åslund, a gritty player on the opposite wing with a nice engine, then as center he have had Mikeal Johansson who IMO is more NHL ready then Brunnström.

The thing with Fabian is that he is very talanted but a year ago he was playing div 1 hockey, far away even from the SEL in quality. But he made the jump from that standard of play to the SEL with out that many problems and out on an impressive show. Not only did he get points but it was the way he got them. But one problem he had was that later in the season he started to look tired and the points was left out along with a lot of speculation if he where going to the NHL in the summer, I became to much for him, being a rookie and all. And on top of that he was called up to play for Tre Kronor when it would probably have been better for him to get a rest.

He needs more time in the SEL before he is ready, IMO.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 05:28 AM
Koivu84*

I heard Jiri Dopita is coming back...

Koivu84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 10:24 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

first of all, all those people that keep bringing up Dopita: you do realize that Dopita was 33 YO when he came over to the NHL? he was not on a 2-way contract, not a rookie according to NHL rules (as he came post Makarov rule change), and was not even in his prime, he was near the end of his playing days!!

Brunnstrom is 23, is still at a age when players are developing... whoever he signs with, it'd be a rookie contract, meaning 2-way entry-level deal, and bonuses won't be earned if he doesn't play in the NHL.

This is a NO-risk move for ANY club to make. It's like drafting Brunnstrom with a 7th round pick and seeing him develop well since his draft. If your team drafted this kid with a late pick, and he now wanted a rookie-max contract to come over, would any team in the league not give him that contract? Especially with a 2-way clause, there's no risk here... if he doesn't work out, walk away after he spends the next few years in the minors... even better, with the level of interest he has around the league, if he doesn't work out when he gets here, I'm sure he'll still have trade value in the first year or so of that contract.

Worst case scenario for any team signing Brunnstrom - you pick up a potential late round draft pick in a trade, and it costs an AHL salary for a few months.

I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want to take on that risk??

NFITO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 01:00 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Here's hoping this kid attends the Alex Edler school of development.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 01:02 AM
trbr86

Does anyone who has followed Brunnstrom's development want to give a shot at assigning him an HF rating?

trbr86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 01:22 AM
dspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesiac View Post
But 24th in scoring? I know hes young, but if hes supposedly an Alfredsson type, he should be top 5, no?
I'm no expert on Brunnstrom, but stats don't always tell the whole story. For example, Zetterberg put up 10G and 22A in 48GP in the SEL as a 21 year old, then had 22G and 22A as an NHL rookie the next year. Brunnstrom had 9G and 28A in 54GP as a 22-23 year old.

Now I'm not saying Brunnstrom will turn out to be even close to as good as Zetterberg, but I would reserve judgment on him until I see him play in the AHL/NHL. The guy has to have some potential at least if there were that many teams interested in him.

dspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 01:57 AM
windflare

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspot View Post
I'm no expert on Brunnstrom, but stats don't always tell the whole story. For example, Zetterberg put up 10G and 22A in 48GP in the SEL as a 21 year old, then had 22G and 22A as an NHL rookie the next year. Brunnstrom had 9G and 28A in 54GP as a 22-23 year old.

Now I'm not saying Brunnstrom will turn out to be even close to as good as Zetterberg, but I would reserve judgment on him until I see him play in the AHL/NHL. The guy has to have some potential at least if there were that many teams interested in him.
It's not his stats that are the most impressive. It's his rate of development and potential upside that are the most impressive, as he has developed very rapidly over the past two years. He's also got impressive speed in a relatively big body, great stickhandling ability, poise, and vision. That's the potential that people want to sign him for.

windflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 02:16 AM
Agent007

Don't forget that his stats were alot better during the first half of the season and then his play started to slip in the second half of the season.

If he can one day become a 20 goal 50 point player we'll be happy as Canuck fans.

Once again this guy doesn't cost you ANYTHING. There's no risk involved in this move and it's possible that he could turn into a 20 goal scorer. It's a great deal for any team that is able to sign him.

Old
04-14-2008, 02:43 AM
AgentNaslund*

A Detroit fan whois seen him play 7 times or so, said he can play in the NHL as a 2nd line winger.

Good enough for me, if its a free agent pick up.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 12:41 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickShift View Post
Does anyone who has followed Brunnstrom's development want to give a shot at assigning him an HF rating?
7C, but he aint ready for the NHL. One more season in the SEL and he will be.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 12:55 PM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
7C, but he aint ready for the NHL. One more season in the SEL and he will be.
Bit jealous are we?

Brunnstrom will come to North America.

Whether that is with Manitoba or Vancouver is yet to be known.

Old
04-14-2008, 01:02 PM
fizban

Why is it that so many people have already decided he'll be in Vancouver next year? Did I miss the article where he signed a contract with them or something?

fizban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 01:19 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:

I'd say the hype is more his UFA status than anything. BY HF standards he's likely a 7.0 or 7.5 C prospect that would fit in most teams top 5-10 ranking. Nothing special in itself, but have a respected journalist compare him to Alfredsson and point out any team can get him, and the vultures will start circling.

It also seems like much of the hype started after his first half of the season, when he played much stronger, then he got worn down and faded the rest of the way. Anyone have his first half stats vs second half?

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 01:49 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
I'd say the hype is more his UFA status than anything. BY HF standards he's likely a 7.0 or 7.5 C prospect that would fit in most teams top 5-10 ranking. Nothing special in itself, but have a respected journalist compare him to Alfredsson and point out any team can get him, and the vultures will start circling.

It also seems like much of the hype started after his first half of the season, when he played much stronger, then he got worn down and faded the rest of the way. Anyone have his first half stats vs second half?
http://stats.swehockey.se/cs/omgang....tle=Elitserien

I hope this helps

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 02:06 PM
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizban View Post
Why is it that so many people have already decided he'll be in Vancouver next year? Did I miss the article where he signed a contract with them or something?
Many news outlets (CBC, TSN) have reported that he has stated his intent to sign with Vancouver. Ken Holland has come out and said that Brunnstrom told the Red Wings he was going to sign with another team.

Obviously, things could change, but for now it looks like he's going to sign with Vancouver.

Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 02:11 PM
fizban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Many news outlets (CBC, TSN) have reported that he has stated his intent to sign with Vancouver. Ken Holland has come out and said that Brunnstrom told the Red Wings he was going to sign with another team.

Obviously, things could change, but for now it looks like he's going to sign with Vancouver.
Thanks.

fizban is offline   Reply With Quote