HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Martin out as coach, stays as GM

Old
04-11-2008, 10:34 PM
zeroG

vCash: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrockett1096 View Post
Agreed. Nice Post. Glad Martin is gone. Hopefully he doesn't bring in his mirror image as coach of this team if he stays as GM. Lets hope whoever the GM is, we bring in the right coach to inspire these players with a system better suited for there talents, get some help for Jokinen, get another Dman, shed the dead weight on this team, and stay healthy for once.

Today was a good day.
today was nothing but an embarrassment for this franchise; another black eye.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 10:42 PM
Georgia Panther

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
the only thing that can save this organization right now is for cohen to get his head out of his *** and find a director of hockey operations, just as the dolphins did with parcells.
You do realize I was the first to suggest that a few months ago.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 11:15 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Gorton says it's not a done deal that JM will remain as GM since Cohen may not want a clone of JM as coach like JM would want to appoint.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/s...,1493523.story
LOL. That article was so biased. It seems like Gorten dislikes Martin almost as much as you do, GP. The part where he suggests Cohen might have input on hiring the new coach seems to be his own opinion of what might happen. He doesn't back it up with a quote from Cohen. However, GR gets Cohen to say that if Martin stays as GM, Martin would select the new coach. As skeptical of Cohen as I am, I don't think he would say that and then turn right around and go back on his word and force a new coach of his choosing on Martin. Just wihsful thinking on Gorten's part, IMO.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 11:24 PM
Cats Gambler

Send a message via AIM to Cats Gambler
Change the topic title please before we mislead anyone.

Cats Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 11:24 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Quote:
today was nothing but an embarrassment for this franchise; another black eye.
No, today was a good day. It was obvious the team needed a new mindset of a HC and we will finally get it. A team needs to come out fired up and not give a half ass effort most of the time. When that happens, its not only the players fault, but heavily on the coach too. Its his job to prepare the team and if he cant get them to give it their all, then its a problem. If they have a little **** up every now and then, ok, but when it happens quite often, there is definitely a problem that needs to be fixed. Alot of the time our guys looked like they just didnt give a **** and have probably tuned out Martin a long time ago. That is a major problem that needs to be fixed and it will be. I think the majority of the problem was the fact that JM was HC and GM. As if one job isnt tough enough, he did both and it just didnt cut it. Im not sure who the new coach will be or if JM will even stay as GM, but I think in the end, he will. I dont know what exactly was said behind closed doors, but I think Cohen forced him out as coach. JM has a plan for this team and Im sure he would like to see it through. By him focusing on GM duties only, it not only helps him but it helps the team. People will go back and forth all day whether this is a good move or bad move, but when your coach cant motivate a team and have them ready to play every night, then thats a tell sign there is something wrong that needs fixing.

NJ_CATS_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 12:09 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_CATS_FAN View Post
No, today was a good day. It was obvious the team needed a new mindset of a HC and we will finally get it. A team needs to come out fired up and not give a half ass effort most of the time. When that happens, its not only the players fault, but heavily on the coach too. Its his job to prepare the team and if he cant get them to give it their all, then its a problem. If they have a little **** up every now and then, ok, but when it happens quite often, there is definitely a problem that needs to be fixed. Alot of the time our guys looked like they just didnt give a **** and have probably tuned out Martin a long time ago. That is a major problem that needs to be fixed and it will be. I think the majority of the problem was the fact that JM was HC and GM. As if one job isnt tough enough, he did both and it just didnt cut it. Im not sure who the new coach will be or if JM will even stay as GM, but I think in the end, he will. I dont know what exactly was said behind closed doors, but I think Cohen forced him out as coach. JM has a plan for this team and Im sure he would like to see it through. By him focusing on GM duties only, it not only helps him but it helps the team. People will go back and forth all day whether this is a good move or bad move, but when your coach cant motivate a team and have them ready to play every night, then thats a tell sign there is something wrong that needs fixing.
even if you believe that, the way this whole thing went down was still bush league.

Old
04-12-2008, 12:14 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
LOL. That article was so biased. It seems like Gorten dislikes Martin almost as much as you do, GP. The part where he suggests Cohen might have input on hiring the new coach seems to be his own opinion of what might happen. He doesn't back it up with a quote from Cohen. However, GR gets Cohen to say that if Martin stays as GM, Martin would select the new coach. As skeptical of Cohen as I am, I don't think he would say that and then turn right around and go back on his word and force a new coach of his choosing on Martin. Just wihsful thinking on Gorten's part, IMO.
yeah - was that supposed to be journalism? remember, this is the guy who reported that clarke mcarthur was a panthers' prospect. i don't know why this guy is still being paid to cover hockey.

Old
04-12-2008, 12:16 AM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
yeah - was that supposed to be journalism? remember, this is the guy who reported that clarke mcarthur was a panthers' prospect. i don't know why this guy is still being paid to cover hockey.
Gorten = FAIL as a hockey writer. Put him up against Biggane and GR and he is clearly the weakest of the three by a long shot.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 12:35 AM
PanthersRule96

So let me just ask this.....if we were to erase all memory of everything Cohen has done ever since re-hiring Keenan and just judging him from there...........

Re-hired Keenan and brought in Martin, which at the time looked like a great move since it was the first time in it's history that we've had a coach who was considered to be one of the best and most respected (in the old NHL). Cohen can't be faulted for bringing them in. He fired Keenan when it was obvious he was an absolute cancer (Keenan did not resign...), and gave control to Martin, a hockey mind, rather than trying to become involved in things. Cohen wanted Luongo to stay but ultimately allowed Martin and Keenan to deal him as he defered to them, rather than staying in love with Luongo. Fast forward 4 years.......after giving the panthers a nice payroll to work with, with absolutely all personnel moves at his call, he relieves Martin of the coaching duties. The circus in Cohen's early days was idiotic, but he was a new owner who didn't know hockey. He's learning and I think he's a much better owner than he was 7 years ago. People say Martin needs time, but the thing is, Martin knew all the players inside and out by being their coach, and had full control over players he could bring in to execute his system. Other teams have issues with a GM getting the right mix of players for a coach, but we didn't have that at all. Cohen made absolutely the right call in what he did, and he shouldn't be bashed at all. Keeping Martin on as coach is just preserving the status quo. 4 to 6 years ago there were excuses for missing the playoffs but there aren't anymore excuses.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 01:18 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
So let me just ask this.....if we were to erase all memory of everything Cohen has done ever since re-hiring Keenan and just judging him from there...........

Re-hired Keenan and brought in Martin, which at the time looked like a great move since it was the first time in it's history that we've had a coach who was considered to be one of the best and most respected (in the old NHL). Cohen can't be faulted for bringing them in. He fired Keenan when it was obvious he was an absolute cancer (Keenan did not resign...), and gave control to Martin, a hockey mind, rather than trying to become involved in things. Cohen wanted Luongo to stay but ultimately allowed Martin and Keenan to deal him as he defered to them, rather than staying in love with Luongo. Fast forward 4 years.......after giving the panthers a nice payroll to work with, with absolutely all personnel moves at his call, he relieves Martin of the coaching duties. The circus in Cohen's early days was idiotic, but he was a new owner who didn't know hockey. He's learning and I think he's a much better owner than he was 7 years ago. People say Martin needs time, but the thing is, Martin knew all the players inside and out by being their coach, and had full control over players he could bring in to execute his system. Other teams have issues with a GM getting the right mix of players for a coach, but we didn't have that at all. Cohen made absolutely the right call in what he did, and he shouldn't be bashed at all. Keeping Martin on as coach is just preserving the status quo. 4 to 6 years ago there were excuses for missing the playoffs but there aren't anymore excuses.
yeah, well, you know how he story goes - everybody's entitled to their opinion. i completely disagree with your analysis but i'm not going to argue this anymore.

Old
04-12-2008, 03:46 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Here's the thing that I don't understand with Florida. The goaltending's there, the defense seems to be ok, and there's a good group of forwards there, so why does this team always finish anywhere from 5 to 10 points out of a playoff spot every year? Management has been changed, coaching has been changed, free agents have been signed, players have been traded, yet it seems to remain the same in Florida. I'm wondering if maybe bringing in a few veterans from teams that have had winning records and have made the playoffs might just do the trick. I really don't get it because even in Ottawa, Martin's teams could score with the best of them........

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:04 AM
Madhatter73

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindeadalive View Post
if anyone is to blame it's Martin for putting **** players like McLean, Peltonen, Zednik and the inexperienced Olesz on the first line and expecting Jokinen to just "make it work".
You completely ignored my point...

Regardless of linemates, you expect your captain to perform at 100% every game.

Olli's play was LAZY.

That's not his linemates' fault, it's his.

Madhatter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:11 AM
Georgia Panther

I Hope JM is Offered the Atlanta Coaching Job And...

He takes it. Martin and Ilya (Defense? What's Defense?) Kovalchuk will drive each other nuts!!!

Old
04-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Here's the thing that I don't understand with Florida. The goaltending's there, the defense seems to be ok, and there's a good group of forwards there, so why does this team always finish anywhere from 5 to 10 points out of a playoff spot every year? Management has been changed, coaching has been changed, free agents have been signed, players have been traded, yet it seems to remain the same in Florida. I'm wondering if maybe bringing in a few veterans from teams that have had winning records and have made the playoffs might just do the trick. I really don't get it because even in Ottawa, Martin's teams could score with the best of them........
A few things happened. Injuries (yes, it is a legitimate reason... if we had our full roster all year we would have won AT LEAST 3 or 4 more games), Olli's season not being up to par, and Horton's step backwards in his development definitely contributed to us missing the playoffs. If Jokinen had scored 85 points like we're accustomed to, and if Horton had scored more than last year's total of 31, we would definitely be in the post-season.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 10:29 AM
Georgia Panther

Martin out as coach, stays as GM

Quote:
By BRUCE GARRIOCH of the Ottawa Sun

PITTSBURGH -- Jacques Martin lost one of his job titles when he was ousted as coach of the Florida Panthers yesterday.

Don't rule out the possibility he could be relieved of his duties as GM as well.

While Florida owner Alan Cohen told reporters the former Senators coach and St. Pascal native is welcome to stay on as the Panthers' GM, this situation is going to get a lot more interesting before all is said and done.
http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Colu...1/5263616.html

Last edited by Panthers Rock: 04-13-2008 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Entire article was posted, smaller quotes only with link
Old
04-13-2008, 10:32 AM
VirtualSpree

It's funny that whenever a writer wants to make something up, they cite a "league source"

VirtualSpree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 10:42 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSpree View Post
It's funny that whenever a writer wants to make something up, they cite a "league source"
They might not be making it up but just might be reporting "gossip" between league officials who are speculating based on the reputations of the people involved without hearing anything from inside the Panthers Camp. The one thing, and it was the only thing that I thought interesting in the Garrioch article, was he says Cunneyworth was JM's top choice which is interesting since Cunneyworth supposedly interviewed for the assistent's job that JM passed him over in favor of Kitchen.

Old
04-13-2008, 10:42 AM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Yeah they got everything wrong there. They made up the part about Joe, they also made up the part that JM was "aggressively" trying to trade Olli. Its basically 100% bs.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 10:47 AM
Happy Girl

I would love to see a study done on Garrioch's accuracy. How many times does he get these things correct? Once again, another piece that seems to be all speculation with unnamed league sources... blah blah blah. When Garrioch has some legitimate news, someone please let me know.

Happy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:00 AM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
With Cohen coming on the Official Board to talk to us, and basically tell us all of that is made up ****, its hilarious looking at Garrioch and seeing how pathetic he is.

Egblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:05 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate The Great View Post
With Cohen coming on the Official Board to talk to us, and basically tell us all of that is made up ****, its hilarious looking at Garrioch and seeing how pathetic he is.
Remember, just because Cohen said something he is doing is one thing, doesn't mean what he is actually doing could not be something entirely different. Not saying it is but call me skeptical considering his past history.

Old
04-13-2008, 11:11 AM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Quote:
Remember, just because Cohen said something he is doing is one thing, doesn't mean what he is actually doing could not be something entirely different. Not saying it is but call me skeptical considering his past history.
Thing is, Cohen last night put his name on it, and said a few times he was an honest man and meant what he was saying. I think if you run an organization and talk to many fans and put your word to what you said, you wouldn't do something as stupid as going against what you said. Just the way I see it.

Old
04-13-2008, 11:19 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate The Great View Post
Thing is, Cohen last night put his name on it, and said a few times he was an honest man and meant what he was saying. I think if you run an organization and talk to many fans and put his word to what he said, you wouldn't do something as stupid as going against what you said. Just the way I see it.
But think about it, how would we know Cohen hasn't told JM he wants Hartley as coach? If JM goes along with that, then he'll say he was his choice, if JM doesn't go along with that, the story will be JM still wants to coach and has passed on the GM job for that reason. Or, Cohen could tell JM he wants Hartley and JM could say if you want him, I'm gone and then Cohen could back down. The truth is we will never know what really goes on behind closed doors and people rarely burn bridges when leaving a job. Keenan has yet to say a bad word about Cohen who has fired him twice.

Old
04-13-2008, 11:22 AM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
But think about it, how would we know Cohen hasn't told JM he wants Hartley as coach? If JM goes along with that, then he'll say he was his choice, if JM doesn't go along with that, the story will be JM still wants to coach and has passed on the GM job for that reason. Or, Cohen could tell JM he wants Hartley and JM could say if you want him, I'm gone and then Cohen could back down. The truth is we will never know what really goes on behind closed doors and people rarely burn bridges when leaving a job. Keenan has yet to say a bad word about Cohen who has fired him twice.
Because why would Cohen rush things....he said it himself that he is a very hands-off person.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:24 AM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Quote:
I certainly see your point, we will just have to see how this all unfolds