HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Martin out as coach, stays as GM

Old
04-13-2008, 11:26 AM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
i think the unfolding will be super-interesting!

CatscratchFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:27 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
Because why would Cohen rush things....he said it himself that he is a very hands-off person.
It doesn't matter what he calls himself, it's what the people who work for him call him and those presently employed won't say anything negative and those who have left usually don't speak ill of their former boss publicly so their next boss can see what could be in store for them once they leave their employ.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:28 AM
Happy Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate The Great View Post
Thing is, Cohen last night put his name on it, and said a few times he was an honest man and meant what he was saying. I think if you run an organization and talk to many fans and put your word to what you said, you wouldn't do something as stupid as going against what you said. Just the way I see it.
In my experience, when someone is honest, they don't have to tell you they are honest. You know they are honest from their actions. People say things to appease them all of the time. March 28, 2007 - the EVP of our parent company called me to congratulate me on a great month and being one of the top salespeople, he was looking forward to another successful month in April. April 2, he had IT cut off my network access and sent 4 people to our division office to shut it down.

I am not saying he's not honest or not genuine. I would like to see him take action that show me he's a competent owner.

Happy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:30 AM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Girl View Post
In my experience, when someone is honest, they don't have to tell you they are honest. You know they are honest from their actions. People say things to appease them all of the time. March 28, 2007 - the EVP of our parent company called me to congratulate me on a great month and being one of the top salespeople, he was looking forward to another successful month in April. April 2, he had IT cut off my network access and sent 4 people to our division office to shut it down.

I am not saying he's not honest or not genuine. I would like to see him take action that show me he's a competent owner.
I agree, it would be fantastic if he could back up his comments with some positive action for the franchise.

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:41 AM
Booth10

Quote:

You should go to the other board. These are people who met him first hand. These are people who have been to these meetings before and were told honest things and didnt believe them. Somehow i think meeting him and his aura is important here, from what i gather.

You should also read what he writes. Its almost as if he doesnt care enough in lying to be a lier. He seems very smart and honest.

Booth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:46 AM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Posts have been moved here from the Garrioch thread. Let's be clear guys, there will be a lot of articles on this Martin situation and not all of them will deserve their own thread. Please do not start threads for all of them, use some common sense to know whether or not the story is a big enough change in the situation to warrant that. That's why we have this thread in the first place, to encompass all that is happening with Martin. Appreciate it

Florida Panthers: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Lottery...Winners?
Panthers Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:52 AM
Happy Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booth10 View Post
You should go to the other board. These are people who met him first hand. These are people who have been to these meetings before and were told honest things and didnt believe them. Somehow i think meeting him and his aura is important here, from what i gather.

You should also read what he writes. Its almost as if he doesnt care enough in lying to be a lier. He seems very smart and honest.
Actions speak louder than words. He's done nothing yet to prove to me he is a competent owner. I believe he wants to be a good owner. I believe he is honest and smart. I am not questioning his honesty or intelligence. I am questioning his management and knowledge of running a successful hockey franchise. I look at what's happened under his tenure and I see nothing that indicates he knows how to build a successful hockey franchise.

For example, when the Luongo negotiations went down hill, he should've stepped in and taken a more aggressive role, much like Tom Hicks did in Dallas when the Modano negotiations turned sour.

Old
04-13-2008, 07:43 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
They might not be making it up but just might be reporting "gossip" between league officials who are speculating based on the reputations of the people involved without hearing anything from inside the Panthers Camp. The one thing, and it was the only thing that I thought interesting in the Garrioch article, was he says Cunneyworth was JM's top choice which is interesting since Cunneyworth supposedly interviewed for the assistent's job that JM passed him over in favor of Kitchen.
Martin was also supposedly looking for a former defenseman for the last assistant coach job, and that's what Kitchen is.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Georgia Panther

Cohen Posts On Message Boards Again

He denies the Garrioch story and also talked to Biggane to deny the Hartley story. Says Martin, once he decides to continue as GM, will pick the Coach. Personally, I. GP, am starting to warm towards Cunneyworth. My only question about his judgement is he was quoted as saying Stewart belongs on a top line and he couldn't produce in the role JM was using him.

Old
04-13-2008, 07:50 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
He denies the Garrioch story and also talked to Biggane to deny the Hartley story. Says Martin, once he decides to continue as GM, will pick the Coach. Personally, I. GP, am starting to warm towards Cunneyworth. My only question about his judgement is he was quoted as saying Stewart belongs on a top line and he couldn't produce in the role JM was using him.
And I agree. Playing him on the 4th line was not the ideal place for him, although JM was not trying to really give him a shot, he was just looking for the best available callup. Cunneyworth is right. Stewart gets bashed a lot around here, and maybe some of it is deserved, but Martin and Cunneyworth know what they're talking about.

Old
04-13-2008, 07:53 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
I still dont fully believe that the person posted there is indeed Alan Cohen, even if admin said that it was him. Im just going by how he writes in his posts, and some of the things he said about the meeting Thursday.

pb1300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 07:57 PM
Booth10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
I still dont fully believe that the person posted there is indeed Alan Cohen, even if admin said that it was him. Im just going by how he writes in his posts, and some of the things he said about the meeting Thursday.
Of course its him. The Webmaster said it was.

Old
04-13-2008, 08:05 PM
zeroG

Quote:
are you saying there are inconsistencies? perhaps you already have but if not, could you elaborate?

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 09:10 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booth10 View Post
Of course its him. The Webmaster said it was.
Like I said, whether the webmaster said so or not, it just doesnt totally sit well with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
are you saying there are inconsistencies? perhaps you already have but if not, could you elaborate?
Just the way he came off in the email he sent me after I pm'd him about what happened that night. And when he said in one of the posts "As you can probably tell, i was very relaxed." Maybe Im alone on this, but he didnt look very relaxed to me. Just my opinion. It probably is him after reading all his posts over, I just questioned it, thats all.

Old
04-13-2008, 09:26 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
I'm not going to twist your arm on this, Gus, you are certainly entitled to your opinion on the validity of this situation.

FWIW, I will say that I have corresponded with the webmaster there. He works for the organization and has been in direct contact with Mr. Cohen regarding this user account. He vouches for it, and having communicated with the webmaster numerous times over the past year on that board (which I help mod), I will take his word for it.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 09:39 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmanfu View Post
I'm not going to twist your arm on this, Gus, you are certainly entitled to your opinion on the validity of this situation.

FWIW, I will say that I have corresponded with the webmaster there. He works for the organization and has been in direct contact with Mr. Cohen regarding this user account. He vouches for it, and having communicated with the webmaster numerous times over the past year on that board (which I help mod), I will take his word for it.
Ok thats cool. I trust what you have to say, so ill leave it at that. Thanks.

Old
04-13-2008, 10:30 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

What is really going on (Martin to pick coach)

Martin is going to have the say in our new head coach.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/panther...0413panth.html

What is really going on here? One minute Martin will have some say in the next coach, the next minute he will choose his successor. George if you are around, what the he!! is going on here? This is what Cohen said on the other forum, that Martin will have the deciding factor on our new head coach.

If this article is true, expect what I said the other day to happen. Martin will stay as GM, and Cunneyworth will be the teams new head coach.

Old
04-13-2008, 10:40 PM
Booth10

Quote:

What is really going on here? One minute Martin will have some say in the next coach, the next minute he will choose his successor. George if you are around, what the he!! is going on here? This is what Cohen said on the other forum, that Martin will have the deciding factor on our new head coach.

If this article is true, expect what I said the other day to happen. Martin will stay as GM, and Cunneyworth will be the teams new head coach.

You have your answer. Cohen said it on the official Panther boards and then in an e-mail to Biggane. George was probably just thinking out loud.

Old
04-13-2008, 10:45 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:

What's going on is that Biggane was making up stories before, or at least reporting unsubstantiated rumors. And Gorten and the others at Sun-Sentinel were apparently just putting their own feelings out there about what would possibly unfold, not substantiated by Cohen either. GR has been the only one who has been accurately reporting this situation since Thursday. The other papers' writers look like idiots, if they didn't already.

Old
04-14-2008, 06:57 PM
Georgia Panther

No Decision By Martin On Monday

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/panther...r_tuesday.html

The longer this goes on the more it appears that if Martin accepts the GM job it's only because he couldn't land a job with another franchise.

Old
04-14-2008, 07:03 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/panther...r_tuesday.html

The longer this goes on the more it appears that if Martin accepts the GM job it's only because he couldn't land a job with another franchise.
Oh my god, Im going to actually agree with you. They need to give him by the end of the week, otherwise he is gone completely.

Old
04-14-2008, 08:16 PM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Just found out Dave Nonis has been fired. I say we give JM the boot all together and do a Nonis/Hartley or Nonis/Laviolette.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Happy Girl

Quote:
Just found out Dave Nonis has been fired. I say we give JM the boot all together and do a Nonis/Hartley or Nonis/Laviolette.
I am no expert on Vancouver but with the exception of last year, have they really had much playoff success? That team has always seemed like they underperform to me, especially with having Luongo and getting rid of the "Bertuzzi" drama. I'd have to pass on Nonis.

Old
04-14-2008, 08:52 PM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
I am no expert on Vancouver but with the exception of last year, have they really had much playoff success? That team has always seemed like they underperform to me, especially with having Luongo and getting rid of the "Bertuzzi" drama. I'd have to pass on Nonis.
He helped execute the Luongo tradfe which got rid of bertuzzi and gave them Luongo.....i'd say thats better then our track record.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Happy Girl

Quote:
He helped execute the Luongo tradfe which got rid of bertuzzi and gave them Luongo.....i'd say thats better then our track record.
then we got rid of Bertuzzi and got Vokoun. both teams didn't make the playoffs this year. I still don't see where he'd be an improvement.