HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Martin out as coach, stays as GM

Old
04-14-2008, 09:57 PM
hoax15

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Girl View Post
then we got rid of Bertuzzi and got Vokoun. both teams didn't make the playoffs this year. I still don't see where he'd be an improvement.
For Luongo we basically got Allen, Matthias, and another crappy year (to this day I still blame Auld for why we didn't make the playoffs last year)

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 10:13 PM
VirtualSpree

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
Just found out Dave Nonis has been fired. I say we give JM the boot all together and do a Nonis/Hartley or Nonis/Laviolette.
Is this a joke post? Vancouver has missed the playoffs 2 out of the last 3 years despite spending to the cap. Not to mention that they finished this season with 82 points. Guess what team also got 82 points without spending to the cap limit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/panther...r_tuesday.html

The longer this goes on the more it appears that if Martin accepts the GM job it's only because he couldn't land a job with another franchise.
By BRIAN BIGGANE

might as well be written by Santa Claus because I believe in them both equally

VirtualSpree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 10:18 PM
Booth10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSpree View Post
Is this a joke post? Vancouver has missed the playoffs 2 out of the last 3 years despite spending to the cap. Not to mention that they finished this season with 82 points. Guess what team also got 82 points without spending to the cap limit?

Why should anyone let facts get in the way of an intractable point of view.

Booth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 10:19 PM
VirtualSpree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booth10 View Post

Why should anyone let facts get in the way of an intractable point of view.
Yeah, I got that wrong, but they still didn't do much better than us.

VirtualSpree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 10:49 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Oh my god, Im going to actually agree with you. They need to give him by the end of the week, otherwise he is gone completely.
not to but it's too easy - this simply should not have happened this way. cohen should have fought the urge to go speak to the fans first. we would have been happily watching the playoffs, oblivious to JM's decision. there's no reason that could not or should not have happened.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 11:11 PM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

Forget Nonis, I still say we should hire Bobby Clarke (who has decided he wants to start working again). He built the best team the Panthers ever had, let him do it again and pick whatever coach he wants.

mikefavata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 11:13 PM
KW

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
not to but it's too easy - this simply should not have happened this way. cohen should have fought the urge to go speak to the fans first. we would have been happily watching the playoffs, oblivious to JM's decision. there's no reason that could not or should not have happened.
Although Cohen could have maybe handled it differently, I think the big story here is NOT whether his manner and timing were politically correct. The big story is that the owner decided that JM is not able to handle both GM and HC duties simultaneously to the level required in the highly competitive NHL. Additionally, the owner decided that a new HC is needed. That's all there is to it, for now.

KW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 11:42 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
Although Cohen could have maybe handled it differently, I think the big story here is NOT whether his manner and timing were politically correct. The big story is that the owner decided that JM is not able to handle both GM and HC duties simultaneously to the level required in the highly competitive NHL. Additionally, the owner decided that a new HC is needed. That's all there is to it, for now.
you are not looking deep (or shallow?) enough. it's not about being politically correct. it's about being managerially competent in this business. this is reminding me of when nick saban left huizinga dangling for a weekend. sorry, but good management doesn't handle things like this and if you agree with that (which you seem to be on the verge of), and can see this as a pattern repeating itself (much as it was with huizinga), then you have to acknowledge there is a major problem. when these types of situations are consistently bungled, something is not right.

i don't care what the decision is in this particular case and whether or not you agree with it; the problem, over and over again is with the process. thus, i (and a lot of others here) am wary of trusting in anything cohen decides.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 05:40 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
He helped execute the Luongo tradfe which got rid of bertuzzi and gave them Luongo.....i'd say thats better then our track record.
A bit ironic that the architects (Nonis and Keenan) of one of the most lopsided trades in NHL History, the Luongo deal, have both been fired. Will history show that this was the trade nobody won? Anyway, another Candidate for Panthers GM if JM decides to take his ball and go home though Nonis receives some of the same criticism as Martin. He is very low-key and addressed the Canucks goaltending woes without addressing their lack of offensive punch.

Last edited by Georgia Panther: 04-15-2008 at 06:40 AM.
Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 08:22 AM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
A bit ironic that the architects (Nonis and Keenan) of one of the most lopsided trades in NHL History, the Luongo deal, have both been fired. Will history show that this was the trade nobody won? Anyway, another Candidate for Panthers GM if JM decides to take his ball and go home though Nonis receives some of the same criticism as Martin. He is very low-key and addressed the Canucks goaltending woes without addressing their lack of offensive punch.
History showed, shows, and will show that Vancouver won that trade, no matter how much money Luongo makes or how good Matthias becomes, because that trade was meant to get us closer the playoffs and it didn't. Also, we had to give up several key draft picks in order to reacquire a goalie, even if we acquired Matthias via Bertuzzi. It wasn't as horrendous as it once looked, but we still lost.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 08:31 AM
Laus723
Future Now

GMs who're available that I will if they get hired: Nonis, JFJ, Milbury, and Clark. Clark not as much, but I don't want him back.

04-15-2008, 09:11 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
History showed, shows, and will show that Vancouver won that trade, no matter how much money Luongo makes or how good Matthias becomes, because that trade was meant to get us closer the playoffs and it didn't. Also, we had to give up several key draft picks in order to reacquire a goalie, even if we acquired Matthias via Bertuzzi. It wasn't as horrendous as it once looked, but we still lost.
You can say the same about Vancouver though their goal was higher, serious Stanley Cup Contention. Both teams failed.

Old
04-15-2008, 02:02 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
I would rather keep Martin. If Cohen wants to make a splash, go after Burke after they are eliminted. Im sure he might consider going to Toronto or Vancouver, but I wouldnt mind having him here.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Georgia Panther

Would be very surprised if Burke doesn't land in Vancouver. One would have to be nuts to take the Toronto GM job. Sounds tailor-made for THE HOCKEY GOD doesn't it? If Martin decides not to come back I would prefer a young up and coming Player Personel Director get the job rather than an old hand GM who has already failed at a couple spots. My number one fear if Martin doesn't come back with Cohen's past history of Going Back To The Future would be a return of Rick (Dairy Queen) Dudley!!!

Old
04-15-2008, 03:48 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Would be very surprised if Burke doesn't land in Vancouver. One would have to be nuts to take the Toronto GM job. Sounds tailor-made for THE HOCKEY GOD doesn't it? If Martin decides not to come back I would prefer a young up and coming Player Personel Director get the job rather than an old hand GM who has already failed at a couple spots. My number one fear if Martin doesn't come back with Cohen's past history of Going Back To The Future would be a return of Rick (Dairy Queen) Dudley!!!
Didn't Burke get run out of Vancouver on a rail by Mike Keenan a decade ago? Why would he go back? I'm sure he must be bitter with ownership over that, though I guess there's newer owners there now, aren't there. Nevermind.

04-15-2008, 03:58 PM
Bure1096

Send a message via AIM to Bure1096
Quote:

Need to really stop touting Keenan. The man has won 1 cup and it was 14 years ago. Its fine that you like the guy but he absolutly set this franchise back and lost all credibility as a GM when he made the worst trade in history. So I don't see where you can defend that and attack Martin for being patient and fixing the problems that were created by "your" holiness. If I remember correctly Keenan didn't do half as well as Martins teams have.

Bure1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 04:00 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
Didn't Burke get run out of Vancouver on a rail by Mike Keenan a decade ago? Why would he go back? I'm sure he must be bitter with ownership over that, though I guess there's newer owners there now, aren't there. Nevermind.
I thought Burke ran out Mike, or was it Quinn? Mike's been fired so many times I get confused. Burke's wife works in Vancouver and everyone that had anything to do with him leaving is gone, I believe, so unless the money is outrageously good in Toronto or back in Anaheim, I think for personal reasons he rather return to Vancouver.

Old
04-15-2008, 04:02 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure1096 View Post
Need to really stop touting Keenan. The man has won 1 cup and it was 14 years ago. Its fine that you like the guy but he absolutly set this franchise back and lost all credibility as a GM when he made the worst trade in history. So I don't see where you can defend that and attack Martin for being patient and fixing the problems that were created by "your" holiness. If I remember correctly Keenan didn't do half as well as Martins teams have.

Yeah, but Iron Mike is one hard-ass coach and I belong to the Woody Hayes-Bobby Knight coaching admiration society.