HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers coaching search

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2008, 12:43 PM
Coolburn

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Nolan is probably safe with the Islanders according to GM Garth Snow:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...,2869929.story

Old
04-11-2008, 01:34 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
If you guys don't mind diving lessons, Laviolette's job is in jeopardy.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/hurricanes/

Although, i think he'll stay since ownership can't afford to buy out his contract.

Old
04-11-2008, 02:40 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
If you guys don't mind diving lessons, Laviolette's job is in jeopardy.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/hurricanes/

Although, i think he'll stay since ownership can't afford to buy out his contract.
Not a fan of Laviolette .. IMO, he underachieved with a more talented Islander team than NY currently has. He made the playoffs in 1 of 4 years with Carolina. Yes, he won the Cup that year, but I honestly think that was more due to hot streaks by Staal, Ward, and Brind'amour ..

Old
04-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Acadmus

We might as well face facts - any established NHL coach that's currently available for hire probably has a history of failure on his resume.

04-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Madhatter73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
We might as well face facts - any established NHL coach that's currently available for hire probably has a history of failure on his resume.
Which is one of the primary reason I wanted to Keep Martin...

The only way to recover from yet another step backwards is get Cunneywerth in here and hope he can coach at this level.

Old
04-11-2008, 04:18 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

I'll repost this in the proper thread.

Cunneyworth would be nice. I won't speculate on guys that are currently the head coach of another NHL team. Hunter is also an interesting possibility. Pat Burns would be excellent, but who knows whats up with him.

I know no one wants to hire him, but I like Kevin Constantine. Plus he coaches a defensive system since it would make sense for Martin to implement a coach with a similar mindset.

I'm not a big Hartsberg fan. I was not impressed with the way he handled Canada's team at the WJC this season. He couldn't figure out which goalie to start, ended up starting the wrong one IMO (worked out in the end since they are both excellent goalies), I wasn't happy with some of his camp selections or his lineups. He kept letting Sutter take faceoffs when it was clear that he couldn't win a face off to save his life. He took way to long to give Tavares a regular shift. Marchand got to stay on the top line despite dumb mistake after dumb mistake with limited offence production. I was glad when they announced that he wouldn't be back as coach next year. You should see what happens when we don't win gold.

Old
04-12-2008, 12:16 AM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
I know no one wants to hire him, but I like Kevin Constantine. Plus he coaches a defensive system since it would make sense for Martin to implement a coach with a similar mindset.
And how would trio of players, Horton, JayBo and Jokinen will react to that? They were not happy about Martin's defensive (according to Dave Neal's article in Miami Herald) system. So would that mean that if your change your GM/coach, a new GM/coach will do some changes but now it looks like if you keep your management there will be overhaul anyways?

JOL

Old
04-12-2008, 01:42 AM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jol View Post
And how would trio of players, Horton, JayBo and Jokinen will react to that? They were not happy about Martin's defensive (according to Dave Neal's article in Miami Herald) system. So would that mean that if your change your GM/coach, a new GM/coach will do some changes but now it looks like if you keep your management there will be overhaul anyways?

JOL
I don't really understand what you are saying. I'm was just pointing out that they are both coaches that run defence first systems. You would think that Martin would choose a coach with similar beliefs. Their actual systems are probably different, but they are both defence first.

Old
04-12-2008, 09:20 AM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
I don't really understand what you are saying. I'm was just pointing out that they are both coaches that run defence first systems. You would think that Martin would choose a coach with similar beliefs. Their actual systems are probably different, but they are both defence first.
Ok, I try to be more clear. If Martin's defense first system continues, Martin's clone being as coach, would these players (Jokinen, Horton, JayBo) be happy or would they start demanding trades? i.e. that would lead kind of big team overhaul.
Another scenario, a new GM/coach, would that also lead team overhaul because like it has been mentioned here many times they would most likely bring their own players to Florida?

JOL

Old
04-12-2008, 09:42 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther View Post
Not a fan of Laviolette .. IMO, he underachieved with a more talented Islander team than NY currently has. He made the playoffs in 1 of 4 years with Carolina. Yes, he won the Cup that year, but I honestly think that was more due to hot streaks by Staal, Ward, and Brind'amour ..
I agree. Besides, the diving has to start somewhere and that's where I believe it is. I'll pass.

Paddock would be a horrible choice. Another one of those coaches in this league who only have a job because they are lucky enough to be placed on an elite talent level team. Same goes with Randy Carlyle in Anaheim. My mom could coach that team.

I've always liked Nolan as well. He gets the most out of his roster every time. However, NY would be stupid to fire him because that roster was just so poor, you can't honestly put the blame on the coach.

Old
04-12-2008, 01:14 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jol View Post
Ok, I try to be more clear. If Martin's defense first system continues, Martin's clone being as coach, would these players (Jokinen, Horton, JayBo) be happy or would they start demanding trades? i.e. that would lead kind of big team overhaul.
Another scenario, a new GM/coach, would that also lead team overhaul because like it has been mentioned here many times they would most likely bring their own players to Florida?

JOL
Okay, now I understand what you were saying. Maybe the players just didn't like Martin's system though, but may not be opposed to a defence first system in general. I don't know, I'm not in the lockerroom.

Old
04-24-2008, 02:02 AM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Could Alain Vigneault be a darkhorse for HC? Now that Gillis is the new GM in Vancouver, there's lots of speculation that he will fire Vigneault and put his own guy in there. IMO I think that's what's going to happen too. Even though he won the Jack Adams last year, the message from the Canucks hierarchy seems to be that they want to win now and there are going to be lots of changes. Gillis even said that he's not sure the Sedins will be the front line players of the future for the Canucks. I think he puts his own head coach in there too. I think it's definitely a possibility that Vigneault could come here. If Martin wanted a coach in his own image, Vigneault would be the guy. I'm not saying he wants a coach in his own image or not, but it's a possibility. I wonder if Martin has any connections with AV in the past? It's something to watch for as the offseason rolls on, if Vigneault gets fired.

Old
04-24-2008, 08:46 AM
blackpanthers

I wonder if this could be a signal as to what we are going to do about the head coach position.

Everblades call noon press conference for "major announcement''

Old
04-24-2008, 08:55 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpanthers View Post
I wonder if this could be a signal as to what we are going to do about the head coach position.

Not according this Sun-Sentinel report...if you believe that. (don't think they'd announce that at the Everblades level, do you?)

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/h...,5740062.story

Says Martin is in no rush. And he's unfortunately also considering Kitchen and Charron. No biggie, I'd imagine he's going to be interviewing several people. I'd rather him take his time than rush this decision.

04-24-2008, 09:01 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpanthers View Post

Could be - but it's all speculation. Let's see what the announcement is at noon.

My first thought was the franchise is being moved up to the AHL level as the Panthers' new affiliate, but I guess the rest of the story dispelled that notion

Could also be an announcement that they'll be solely affiliated next season. That's how wide open this is until the announcement is made

Old
04-24-2008, 11:16 AM
Benched

Looking at some of the guys Cunneyworth molded into shape (Jason Pominville, Ryan Miller, Brian Campbell, Derek Roy, Thomas Vanek and Ales Kotalik), he's got my vote.

Old
04-24-2008, 12:16 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Just saying that Fleming is moving on...http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2008/...-major-announ/

Old
04-24-2008, 03:08 PM
Georgia Panther

I Know Who Martin Will Name As Coach!

IT's...

MINI-MARTIN!!!

Old
04-24-2008, 04:17 PM
PanthersRule96

Makes me sick reading that article with Martin's interview. When asked about scoring wingers, he says the team could use some grit and a physical role player. Look at yourself you DUMBASS, can you not understand why you were fired!???????

Old
04-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
Look at yourself you DUMBASS, can you not understand why you were fired!???????
Sure he understands. It was so he could hire MINI-MARTIN, his midget clone, since he thinks he shouldn't have been made to relinquish the Head Coaching Job in the first place.

Old
04-24-2008, 06:41 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Makes me sick reading that article with Martin's interview. When asked about scoring wingers, he says the team could use some grit and a physical role player. Look at yourself you DUMBASS, can you not understand why you were fired!???????
Sadly, our defense was far worse than our offense this year. I can't really disagree with him much there.

Old
04-24-2008, 07:09 PM
Happy Girl

I want Clint to be our next head coach - mostly because he looks great in a suit and would give me comp tix.

Old
04-24-2008, 07:21 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Sadly, our defense was far worse than our offense this year. I can't really disagree with him much there.
Agreed. Which, imo, is largely Kitchen's fault. They unfortunately too a nose dive.

Old
04-24-2008, 09:18 PM
jrockett1096

Quote:
I felt the same way. Were are so screwed this offseason.

Old
04-24-2008, 11:10 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
IT's...

MINI-MARTIN!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Girl View Post
I want Clint to be our next head coach - mostly because he looks great in a suit and would give me comp tix.
HG, thats not Clint.

Closed Thread