HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Panthers coaching search

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2008, 11:56 AM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
What reasoning? As I said, it's a rumour from Garrioch, how many of his "rumours" really come true? He's another Eklund. None of the loca reporters have said anything about this, how'd he get the dop when Martin's done ZERO to point who any of the candidates are for the Head Coach much less who the front-funner is.

There...disputed!
You missed the fact that we are assuming this is true just for the sake of discussion. Since when are limited to discussing rumors or any coach for that matter who is not mentioned in the papers down here?

Old
05-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
You missed the fact that we are assuming this is true just for the sake of discussion. Since when are limited to discussing rumors or any coach for that matter who is not mentioned in the papers down here?
Am saying it's not likely. Spector said this morning that he could see Savard coming here in a scout or management role.

For the sake of the argument, have you seen the Penguins play lately? Great players who play to the utmost of their ability. Isn't that what you look for in your coaches?

05-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
Dispute his reasoning. Don't dismiss his statement just because GP said it.
It just reminds me of "The boy who cried wolf". When certain people say the same things over and over, it's hard to take something that might have substance when every post has the same message of "I hate JM (insert additional content here)".

Old
05-12-2008, 12:52 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Am saying it's not likely. Spector said this morning that he could see Savard coming here in a scout or management role.

For the sake of the argument, have you seen the Penguins play lately? Great players who play to the utmost of their ability. Isn't that what you look for in your coaches?
You can also say that having great players makes you a good coach as was Martin in Ottawa.

Old
05-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Rattrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
You can also say that having great players makes you a good coach as was Martin in Ottawa.
Exhibit A

Old
05-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Exhibit A
You can say that again. I guess Washington pre-Bodreau(sp) isn't a good example of a quality coach?

It's not like Ottawa has won the Cup without Martin, and you can't argue that he helped turn that organization around, either. He's got a Jack Adams, which he earned in helping turn that organization around.

Old
05-12-2008, 03:09 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Exhibit A
Hence the

Old
05-12-2008, 07:08 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Ron Wilson was fired today according to VS. I guess he can be added to the list.

Old
05-12-2008, 09:13 PM
Georgia Panther

GR Confirms Savard On Martin's Short List

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...ther-name.html

Old
05-13-2008, 02:23 AM
BabyJagrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Savard won't be a coach ! I don't know how to get a link in my post, but here it is, I'll try !

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/251591.html

This article say that he would love to get another opportunity to work upstairs with a team basically as a GM or maybe even head scout ! Savard also said he wouldn't welcome a job being the bench, he loves what he is doing presentally and that is being in the shadow of Therrien in Pittsburgh ! He also has one year left in his contract !

Old
05-13-2008, 03:30 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Ron Wilson would be the perfect coach for the Panthers. You may not like his style, but he will get your team to buy into his system and believe me, he will get results. He is one of the best coaches in the league, and he thrives when managing a roster much like the one you have; not a ton of talent, but players that are best when they play the roles they are supposed to.

Old
05-13-2008, 07:12 AM
Laus723
Future Now

GP, I saw that yesterday on Richards' blog. It's not exactly an article saying Garrioch got the jump, it's a reactionary article due to Garrioch's. In other words, had Garrioch not printed this, especially with his wild claims, Richards likely would never have posted a thing.

Nice try, though.

Old
05-13-2008, 07:14 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
Ron Wilson would be the perfect coach for the Panthers. You may not like his style, but he will get your team to buy into his system and believe me, he will get results. He is one of the best coaches in the league, and he thrives when managing a roster much like the one you have; not a ton of talent, but players that are best when they play the roles they are supposed to.
Thanks. Wilson's certainly an intriguing option for the Panthers. There's certainly a lot of quality guys out there looking for work.

Anyone else appreciative that Martin's taking his time? I am.

Old
05-13-2008, 07:15 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
Our problem is we actually have a fairly talented roster but the players never seem willing to buy into a system or put forth 100% effort. Our team needs a motivator, as much as an Xs and Os man.

05-13-2008, 09:43 AM
Rattrick

I wouldn't mind Wilson being our next coach. Don't think it will happen, but I wouldn't complain if it did. He was able to get San Jose to play very well at both ends of the floor.

Old
05-13-2008, 11:50 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
I wouldn't mind Wilson being our next coach. Don't think it will happen, but I wouldn't complain if it did. He was able to get San Jose to play very well at both ends of the floor.
Didn't they underachieve early this season and then struggle for real consistency all season long? Add that to the fact they lost easily in the second round of the playoffs when a lot of people thought they had Cup potential...well, that doesn't sound like a coach we'd want.

Here's his coaching career (under the playing career stats)...Anaheim, Washington, San Jose - most success with SJ, but never as much as expected, ultimately he's always fired for coming up short.

EDIT: Well...after a second glance myself...it's not so clear. He had one season of overachievement with each team, coupled with several seasons of mediocrity.

Old
05-13-2008, 01:01 PM
TOML

Ron Wilson imo would be the perfect coach for this team. Instilling the Sharks' defensive system, he would turn Bouwmeester into a stallion while Vokoun's numbers would get much better.

Key would be to get a bit more size in the secondary scoring and checking line roles.

Old
05-13-2008, 04:27 PM
Rattrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
Didn't they underachieve early this season and then struggle for real consistency all season long? Add that to the fact they lost easily in the second round of the playoffs when a lot of people thought they had Cup potential...well, that doesn't sound like a coach we'd want.

Here's his coaching career (under the playing career stats)...Anaheim, Washington, San Jose - most success with SJ, but never as much as expected, ultimately he's always fired for coming up short.

EDIT: Well...after a second glance myself...it's not so clear. He had one season of overachievement with each team, coupled with several seasons of mediocrity.
I'd take our chances with a career playoff bust of a coach if it meant we became a team that could make the playoffs.

Old
05-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
I'd take our chances with a career playoff bust of a coach if it meant we became a team that could make the playoffs.
We already took our chances with a career playoff bust of a coach the past few seasons.

Old
05-13-2008, 05:51 PM
Georgia Panther

Is It Too Much To Hope?

Is it too much to hope that with these new Head Coaching jobs openning up recently that JM reconsiders and grabs one of them? He still hasn't signed his new contract which was supposed to be resolved a couple of weeks ago.

Old
05-13-2008, 05:51 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
He missed the playoffs 3 of 4 years with the Ducks, and 2 of 5 years with the Caps. Nothing's guaranteed. The Ducks had Kariya, Rucchin, and Selanne during his tenure.

Old
05-13-2008, 06:25 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
Made the playoffs??

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
I really hope it's either Quinn or Pearn.

PQ because he has experiance and knows how to win, and Pearnb because we'd have Bouw signed and he could finally get some fire under Horton and Olli's *****.

Old
05-13-2008, 07:59 PM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

If Savard doesn't want to be a head coach, it's going to be Pearn.

Old
05-13-2008, 11:38 PM
Slick Cat

If anyone on this board thinks for a minute that jacques will run a fair thorough search for the best coach, you'd have to be crazy. Just the fact that he has completely ignored the subject gives the indication that he already knows exactly who he wants, and I'm sure it is someone he knows well. I understand the advantage of hiring with familiarity but for once in this organization can we have a GM that will actually hire a coach who is best suited for the job and not just a buddy of the GM?

Old
05-13-2008, 11:44 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
If anyone on this board thinks for a minute that jacques will run a fair thorough search for the best coach, you'd have to be crazy. Just the fact that he has completely ignored the subject gives the indication that he already knows exactly who he wants, and I'm sure it is someone he knows well. I understand the advantage of hiring with familiarity but for once in this organization can we have a GM that will actually hire a coach who is best suited for the job and not just a buddy of the GM?
Where do you find any proof that Jacques isn't doing a thorough search now? What are you talking about? How many coaches have been fired since his saying he's waiting til later? How's it not smart to wait? He's working on re-signing people right now, that's wrong?

Closed Thread