HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Panthers coaching search

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2008, 11:54 PM
Slick Cat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Where do you find any proof that Jacques isn't doing a thorough search now? What are you talking about? How many coaches have been fired since his saying he's waiting til later? How's it not smart to wait? He's working on re-signing people right now, that's wrong?

he did say not too long ago that he didn't even draw up what he was looking for

not saying it isn't smart to wait to hire but he should be well into the feeling out and even interview process since there are only four teams left right now and none of those coaches will be canned leaving only a couple of assistants, including his buddy Savard, as potential candidates among those teams

time will tell

Old
05-13-2008, 11:55 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
he did say not too long ago that he didn't even draw up what he was looking for

not saying it isn't smart to wait to hire but he should be well into the feeling out and even interview process since there are only four teams left right now and none of those coaches will be canned leaving only a couple of assistants, including his buddy Savard, as potential candidates among those teams

time will tell
It will, but I don't buy that he doesn't have a list or isn't thinking about it. Martin simply doesn't tip his hand.

05-14-2008, 02:21 PM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
If anyone on this board thinks for a minute that jacques will run a fair thorough search for the best coach, you'd have to be crazy.
Wow....

Yeah he's trying to get fired and never coach in the NHL, definitely.

Old
05-15-2008, 10:25 PM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
Wow....

Yeah he's trying to get fired and never coach in the NHL, definitely.
Not sure how you got that from my comment, talk about a loose translation.

Old
05-16-2008, 07:37 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
If anyone on this board thinks for a minute that jacques will run a fair thorough search for the best coach, you'd have to be crazy.
Let me use this as an educational opportunity.

From HFBoards rules - in fact, the very first topic:
Quote:
Flaming: Do not post any messages that harass, insult (name calling), belittle, threaten or mock other members. Debates are fine, but critique the opinion, not the person. Personal attacks are not permitted. Do not use sweeping generalizations and plural pronouns to cloak personal attacks. For example if a poster(s) states that he thinks 'x' is a good idea, replying that "Anyone who supports 'x' is an idiot" is a personal attack.
This also applies to implying anyone who thinks something might be true to be crazy.

I'm using this example because it's a tactic many of you on this board employ, and usually results in dragging the conversation down. So here's it's laid in plain English for you: Don't do it. It's not necessary to use language to dissuade dissent in expressing your opinion. This isn't politics where you need to make people feel like they're stupid if they don't vote for you

05-16-2008, 11:43 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
Let me use this as an educational opportunity.

From HFBoards rules - in fact, the very first topic:

This also applies to implying anyone who thinks something might be true to be crazy.

I'm using this example because it's a tactic many of you on this board employ, and usually results in dragging the conversation down. So here's it's laid in plain English for you: Don't do it. It's not necessary to use language to dissuade dissent in expressing your opinion. This isn't politics where you need to make people feel like they're stupid if they don't vote for you
Thank you for the edumacation!

Old
05-16-2008, 11:48 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Martin's "list" is out there. Appears he's looking for a guy with a good track record. He also said he thinks he'll hire someone sooner than the original date...as I predicted. Anyone else notice Savard missing from that list? Could be that he just didn't say it, but I doubt Garrioch got the jump on who's coming in. Don't like that Maurice is on there, though.

Quote:
Martin said he has compiled his list of potential coaching candidates and might make a hire sooner than he has previously said he would. The timeline "hasn't changed, but it doesn't necessarily mean it has to be July," Martin said.

Martin named recently fired NHL coaches Joel Quenneville, Paul Maurice and Ron Wilson as possibilities, along with Pat Quinn and Pat Burns. He noted New York Rangers assistant coach Perry Pearn, Los Angeles Kings' associate coach Mike Johnston and AHL coaches Randy Cunneyworth (Rochester) and Scott Gordon (Providence) also would be considered. Gordon was named AHL Coach of the Year this past season. Pearn and Quinn have publicly expressed interest in the Panthers' opening.

"There are a lot of choices," Martin said. "It's going to be a matter of evaluating the candidates and deciding which would fill our needs of the organization to try to find the perfect match."

Martin said it's important that the Panthers' next coach can teach the game well, effectively motivate and communicate with players and has a strong track record. He added that he has not yet contacted any candidate nor has one approached him.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/h...0,164909.story

Old
05-16-2008, 11:59 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Martin's "list" is out there. Appears he's looking for a guy with a good track record. He also said he thinks he'll hire someone sooner than the original date...as I predicted. Anyone else notice Savard missing from that list? Could be that he just didn't say it, but I doubt Garrioch got the jump on who's coming in. Don't like that Maurice is on there, though.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/h...0,164909.story
If I'm not mistaken, Savard has already come out publicly and said he doesn't want to be a head coach. Maurice isn't a bad coach at all IMO, he just had the misfortune of taking the Leafs' coaching job. Their problems reach a lot deeper than their coaching staff.

Old
05-17-2008, 12:26 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Savard has already come out publicly and said he doesn't want to be a head coach. Maurice isn't a bad coach at all IMO, he just had the misfortune of taking the Leafs' coaching job. Their problems reach a lot deeper than their coaching staff.
I haven't seen Savard say anything, I was referring to some here taking off with Garrioch's likely far-fetched story.

So far as Maurice, I just don't think he's the right coach for this team. Dunno why, but I don't. You're right, though, that team's a mess.

Old
05-17-2008, 12:33 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
I haven't seen Savard say anything, I was referring to some here taking off with Garrioch's likely far-fetched story.

So far as Maurice, I just don't think he's the right coach for this team. Dunno why, but I don't. You're right, though, that team's a mess.
Well, what I'm saying is, a couple days after Garrioch wrote that story, Savard came out publicly and said he wasn't interested in a head coaching job. So Martin may have been interested in him, but may not have known that he wouldn't be interested in being a head coach. I guess we'll never know.

Somehow I doubt that Maurice gets the job over all those other guys, but he still isn't a bad candidate IMO, he's just had his resume tarnished from being coach in Toronto.

Old
05-17-2008, 12:43 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
Well, what I'm saying is, a couple days after Garrioch wrote that story, Savard came out publicly and said he wasn't interested in a head coaching job. So Martin may have been interested in him, but may not have known that he wouldn't be interested in being a head coach. I guess we'll never know.

Somehow I doubt that Maurice gets the job over all those other guys, but he still isn't a bad candidate IMO, he's just had his resume tarnished from being coach in Toronto.
Yeah, I just didn't know that Savard had come out and said anything. I guess we never will know.

I do agree that his reputation is tarnished.

Old
05-17-2008, 03:49 AM
BabyJagrov

Quote:
Yeah, I just didn't know that Savard had come out and said anything. I guess we never will know.

I do agree that his reputation is tarnished.
You had to belive me bro... I don't post often but when I post I know my thing !

It was on RDS.ca, I know my link was in french so maybe a lot of you didn't even bother to go, but from the transcription Savard said he would welcome an opportunity to be a GM again, but wouldn't want to be a HC !

Old
05-17-2008, 07:15 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJagr View Post
You had to belive me bro... I don't post often but when I post I know my thing !

It was on RDS.ca, I know my link was in french so maybe a lot of you didn't even bother to go, but from the transcription Savard said he would welcome an opportunity to be a GM again, but wouldn't want to be a HC !
I just didn't remember it last night...still don't. Am glad, though, haven't heard anything glaring about him so far as coaching goes.

Old
05-17-2008, 07:31 AM
Laus723
Future Now

In Richards' article he mentions Savard will be talked to...http://www.miamiherald.com/623/story/536541.html Is what it is, I guess.

Old
05-22-2008, 09:46 PM
Cats Gambler

Send a message via AIM to Cats Gambler
Avalanche hire Granato, so 1 team goes down with a coach not on our list.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=238519&l...headlines_main

Old
06-01-2008, 04:23 AM
CanadianPantherFan

Sounding more and more like Paul Maurice. Still too early to say,but I've heard his name for last 7-10 days after Leafs "gave" Panthers permission to speak to him. Is he still under contract and if Panthers hire him... we pay for that contract?

Old
06-01-2008, 09:41 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
Sounding more and more like Paul Maurice. Still too early to say,but I've heard his name for last 7-10 days after Leafs "gave" Panthers permission to speak to him. Is he still under contract and if Panthers hire him... we pay for that contract?
First I'd heard they "gave" permission to Maurice. There's going to be speculation all over the place until someone's hired.

Old
06-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
I don't think the Panthers would pay the remainder of his contract. I'm pretty sure that would be paid out by the Leafs, and he'd negotiate a new contract with us.

Old
06-01-2008, 02:45 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
He is paid until he signs somewhere else. Remember, the same happened with Keenan when we let him go.

Old
06-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Georgia Panther

Martin:Permission Granted to Interview Maurice

Coaching interviews to start next week.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/...2panthers.html

Old
06-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

On NHL LIVE today, Bob McKenzie said that Martin has already talked to Maurice and also Kitchener Rangers head coach and GM Peter DeBoer. He also said he knows for a fact that Martin is interested in Andre Savard, but he doesn't think that that is a done deal by any means. He thinks he's simply another candidate out of the bunch.

Old
06-02-2008, 06:49 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Good, I'm glad he's taking the time to interview guys, should give him a better idea of who's best fit for the position.

Old
06-02-2008, 06:53 PM
brawllover8

Quote:
Good, I'm glad he's taking the time to interview guys, should give him a better idea of who's best fit for the position.
you won't be glad if Maurice is hired,

He will bench the living snot outta Belak!

maybe he missed the flight to europe with johnny pohl!

Old
06-02-2008, 07:07 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by brawllover8 View Post
you won't be glad if Maurice is hired,

He will bench the living snot outta Belak!

maybe he missed the flight to europe with johnny pohl!
I won't be a hapy camper if Maurice is hired, I just don't think he's the guy for this team. I'm just glad he's interviewing different guys for the position. You can take things out of different interviews that perhaps you weren't thinking about.

Old
06-03-2008, 08:37 AM
Acadmus

I've merged the Maurice news to the "who will be our next head coach" thread and edited the title to be "Panthers coaching search" and stickied it.

Please put all news here, until such time as a new coach has actually signed on the dotted line. That story can have it's own thread.

I don't want new threads for each headline as it seems Martin will be interviewing a number of people and so there will be a number of different rumors out there I'm sure.

Closed Thread