HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Nieuwy out of Florida per TSN

Old
04-11-2008, 12:07 PM
GudVibransons

vCash: 500
Nieuwy out of Florida per TSN

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=234037

Sorry to ruin the day for HG. Sad to see him go, but I'm curious as to the whole reason he left because it's very vague in the blog.

GudVibransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 12:13 PM
Acadmus

McKenzie clearly misunderstands the situation with Martin.

So I'm thinking perhaps Martin is out completely, and Nieuwendyk resigned because he's been informed of that fact.

Guess we'll never really know the reason. But I don't like this one bit. As for McKenzie, amazing he writes so much without any first-hand information.

04-11-2008, 12:29 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
McKenzie clearly misunderstands the situation with Martin.

So I'm thinking perhaps Martin is out completely, and Nieuwendyk resigned because he's been informed of that fact.

Guess we'll never really know the reason. But I don't like this one bit. As for McKenzie, amazing he writes so much without any first-hand information.
Perhaps.

Then again, it may be just the opposite. Nieuwendyk and Martin may have been in opposite camps. Nieuwendyk may be leaving BECAUSE Martin is still staying as GM.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 01:01 PM
BobMckenzie

Gee, a guy could get a complex hanging around here.

I don't think I misunderstood any situation at all. I reported Martin would be back as GM and he is. Cohen has even said as much, although when you hire Mike Keenan TWICE there's always a chance things could change in a heartbeat.

I reported the coaching issue with Martin was up for discussion with Cohen and I was clearly behind, as opposed to wrong, on that one, based on Cohen's remarks to the Herald. It happens.

As for first-hand information, if I report Nieuwendyk resigned, he did. I wouldn't last long in this business if I were wrong on basic stuff like that. As for why he resigned, I'm saying it's because he's not happy with the direction from ownership on down. Pretty straightforward, IMO. I am not going to not report that because I can't get anyone to say it on the record in a quote. Quotes aren't worth much if the person being quoted isn't telling the truth or has an agenda. Mind you, "sources say" stories aren't worth much either if the person writing them is wrong more than right, but, touch wood, I haven't had to deal with that problem too often in my career.

Plus, the reality of my job is that I'm up to my ass in playoff alligators, working day and night on the games being played, so when I stumble across an item like this one (Martin/Nieuwendyk) I don't have hours to be chasing down people for quotes and going round and round in circles. Once I get to the heart of the matter and I'm convinced I'm good to go with information, I go with it.

Like I said, more often than not over the last 30 years, it's worked out pretty well for me.

BobMckenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 01:04 PM
VirtualSpree

On the bright side at least we won't have to hear people suggest that he should be our next head coach.

VirtualSpree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 01:10 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMckenzie View Post

I don't think I misunderstood any situation at all. I reported Martin would be back as GM and he is. Cohen has even said as much, although when you hire Mike Keenan TWICE there's always a chance things could change in a heartbeat.

I reported the coaching issue with Martin was up for discussion with Cohen and I was clearly behind, as opposed to wrong, on that one, based on Cohen's remarks to the Herald. It happens.

As for first-hand information, if I report Nieuwendyk resigned, he did. I wouldn't last long in this business if I were wrong on basic stuff like that. As for why he resigned, I'm saying it's because he's not happy with the direction from ownership on down. Pretty straightforward, IMO. I am not going to not report that because I can't get anyone to say it on the record in a quote. Quotes aren't worth much if the person being quoted isn't telling the truth or has an agenda. Mind you, "sources say" stories aren't worth much either if the person writing them is wrong more than right, but, touch wood, I haven't had to deal with that problem too often in my career.

Plus, the reality of my job is that I'm up to my ass in playoff alligators, working day and night on the games being played, so when I stumble across an item like this one (Martin/Nieuwendyk) I don't have hours to be chasing down people for quotes and going round and round in circles. Once I get to the heart of the matter and I'm convinced I'm good to go with information, I go with it.

Like I said, more often than not over the last 30 years, it's worked out pretty well for me.
I didn't know Bob was an HF member...? That really you?

04-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Crossbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I didn't know Bob was an HF member...? That really you?
Yup it's him. Thanks Bob, I guess we'll be hearing more Jokinen rumors from you (how many seasons is it now that you've been saying he'll be out of Florida?) in the offseason.

Crossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 01:23 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
This shows that at least you understand us

Quote:

Well, not like we're on the inside - my comment was based on how Martin - according to several people who attended last night's meeting, one who spoke directly with him, and two area journalists - is not DEFINITELY staying on as GM, that he's "considering it" - but even that's in doubt as one account has it that it's Cohen considering whether he stays as GM, not Jacques.

I wasn't questioning that Joe resigned, merely the reasoning for it. I didn't doubt you on facts, Bob, merely on your basis for speculation. And you just confirmed that for us in your response.

And you've worked there for 30 years because you can write and meet deadlines, we all know that

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 01:24 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Perhaps.

Then again, it may be just the opposite. Nieuwendyk and Martin may have been in opposite camps. Nieuwendyk may be leaving BECAUSE Martin is still staying as GM.
Thats exactly what I was thinking.

NJ_CATS_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Perhaps.

The question is, what camps? We haven't heard anything - not even a rustle - about differences of opinion within management. Only that Martin isn't cutting it. With all the rumors floating about regarding the Panthers, if Nieuwendyk is in a "camp" why haven't we heard anything about a rift in Panthers management?

Old
04-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Georgia Panther

My opinion of what Nieuwy resigning means.

He is by no means a rat, but he is leaving a sinking ship!

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 01:56 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
What the f%$k is going on here guys? The last 24 hours has been insanse. I think Nieuwy leaving is more of a blow than anything. What is really going on behind the scenes. I just hope this situation is rectified soon and we can just move on to creating a better hockey organization.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Madhatter73

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
What the f%$k is going on here guys? The last 24 hours has been insanse. I think Nieuwy leaving is more of a blow than anything. What is really going on behind the scenes. I just hope this situation is rectified soon and we can just move on to creating a better hockey organization.
What's going on?

The Infamous Panthers revolving door is spinning once more...

The "fans" got what they wanted...

Madhatter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 02:03 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter73 View Post
What's going on?

+1.....

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Slick Cat

this is not good, and adds to the theory that martin is the big problem here when a guy as well respected and classy as Niewy leaves this team. we are going no where quickly and when martin hires one of his clones the writing will be on the wall

maybe keenan wasn't the problem, maybe martin is the idiot and the one hard to get along with

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Georgia Panther

Cohen has apparently chosen the middle ground, attempting to keep Martin as GM while replacing him as coach and as usual, all that does is make both sides of the matter mad at you, the Martin Loyalists in the Organization who think this is a slight against Martin's coaching ability and the Martin detractors who think he's most responsible for the Panthers failures and should be gone entirely.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 02:08 PM
Slick Cat

another half ass move by a half ass organization

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 02:10 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter73 View Post
What's going on?

there is really only one conclusion you can come to after reading all this and basically, you hit the nail on the head. if i was a person of integrity, i would do exactly what newy did at this point - get out! newy was here for one reason - JM asked him to be here. given the fact he had no aspirations to be GM, you have to conclude that he was basically in agreement with JM's approach and here to build the franchise up with him. that's one of the things that always gave me a bit of comfort. now, you have an owner who, along with the fans, is claiming to know best what type of coach belongs here? what kind of a joke is that? i'm actually a bit surprised JM didn't tell cohen to take his GM job and shove it.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 02:11 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
this is not good, and adds to the theory that martin is the big problem here when a guy as well respected and classy as Niewy leaves this team. we are going no where quickly and when martin hires one of his clones the writing will be on the wall

maybe keenan wasn't the problem, maybe martin is the idiot and the one hard to get along with
there is absolutely nothing to support that interpretation. i reasoned above that, based on evidence in hand, it would appear the exact opposite is true.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 02:16 PM
Montsy14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
another half ass move by a half ass organization
He resigned, he wasn't let go.

I don't like this at all. Clearly there is a problem when a guy like that leaves because he doesn't "like or agree with the direction of the organization." Cohen better get this mess figured out and stabilized quickly. I have no clue what's going to happen but something is seriously wrong with what's going on right now and it doesn't look like it's going to get any better. I don't know what else to say, I am pretty pissed off right now because Joe Nieuwendy was a great hockey player who genuinely loved the game and for a guy like him to just walk out, there is definitely something wrong with the organization.

With this happening, I think Martin needs to go completely, I would hate for an entire new staff to come in, but it seems as if that's what its going to take to solve this mess...

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
there is absolutely nothing to support that interpretation. i reasoned above that, based on evidence in hand, it would appear the exact opposite is true.
Not to mention pb1300 mentioned from his talk with Mr. Cohen that Keenan managed to alienate not just Martin, but also Dudley - that he wasn't on speaking terms with either at the time of "personnel changes"

Old
04-11-2008, 02:30 PM
Anod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Cohen has apparently chosen the middle ground, attempting to keep Martin as GM while replacing him as coach and as usual, all that does is make both sides of the matter mad at you, the Martin Loyalists in the Organization who think this is a slight against Martin's coaching ability and the Martin detractors who think he's most responsible for the Panthers failures and should be gone entirely.
This is exactly why I didn't think this would be a smart move. Jacques Martin is a coach first and foremost. The fact that Cohen released this without finding out if Jacques was on boards is slightly unprofessional. I can see why Nieuwy wnated to leave. This is a sad season for Panther fans.

Anod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 02:33 PM
PanthersRule96

Something's rotten in the state of pantherland......

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 02:42 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
He resigned, he wasn't let go.

I don't like this at all. Clearly there is a problem when a guy like that leaves because he doesn't "like or agree with the direction of the organization." Cohen better get this mess figured out and stabilized quickly. I have no clue what's going to happen but something is seriously wrong with what's going on right now and it doesn't look like it's going to get any better. I don't know what else to say, I am pretty pissed off right now because Joe Nieuwendy was a great hockey player who genuinely loved the game and for a guy like him to just walk out, there is definitely something wrong with the organization.

With this happening, I think Martin needs to go completely, I would hate for an entire new staff to come in, but it seems as if that's what its going to take to solve this mess...
... this is what you get when you want to change things every couple of seasons... So Martin is fired and now everybody is like omg this isnt good.. hahaha, unbelievable. The funny thing is, tons preach about stability but calling for a coaches head every other season wont bring you stability.

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2008, 02:51 PM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

If Newy wants to leave then so be it. If he doesn't like the way things are run he can suggest to another GM to trade for Kilger so we can replace the third round pick we lost.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote