HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Biggane-Cohen Wants Hartley As Coach

Old
04-12-2008, 06:46 AM
Georgia Panther

vCash: 500
Biggane-Cohen Wants Hartley As Coach

And according to Biggane, Hartley and Martin have had their differences in the past which could be another reason JM is taking his time accepting the GM Position.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/panther...hers_0412.html

"According to a league source, Cohen already has a new coach identified and has asked Martin if he can co-exist with him.

That candidate, the source said, is Bob Hartley, who was fired by Atlanta after an 0-6 start this season but won the 2001 Stanley Cup with Colorado. With the Avalanche, Hartley became the first NHL coach to reach the conference finals in each of his first four seasons with a club.

Hartley is known to be demanding of his players, which could be seen as a change from Martin, who was criticized by outsiders as well as his players for a lack of communication. He also was seen as reluctant to mete out discipline.

If Martin felt he couldn't work with Hartley - and the two have had their differences - or prefers to remain in coaching, he could turn down Cohen's offer. Several other teams are expected to have coaching vacancies this summer, including Atlanta, Ottawa (where Martin coached more than eight years before coming to Florida), St. Louis and Toronto. Martin began his coaching career with the Blues."

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 07:55 AM
Laus723
Future Now

I'd like Hartley here. I don't think what happened in Atlanta was his fault, Waddel's not a good GM.

We'll definitely have a tough team if he comes here, and he'll know how to use Belak.

04-12-2008, 08:00 AM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
As much as I'd love to see Hartley here, I guess this marks the return of Cohen playing GM in this organization.

Hartley could be the right fit for this team. God knows some of them have needed a swift kick in the ass to get motivated and stay focused.

I think if this hiring occurs and JM stays on, any clash between him and Hartley will result in another GM being shown the door.

Ever since Cohen took over, there's been a disturbing trend of choosing coach over management in this organization. It's part of the reason we've only made marginal strides during this rebuild.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 08:57 AM
VAiN*
Infractions are bad.

Yes, bring Hartley.

VAiN* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 08:59 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmanfu View Post
As much as I'd love to see Hartley here, I guess this marks the return of Cohen playing GM in this organization.

Hartley could be the right fit for this team. God knows some of them have needed a swift kick in the ass to get motivated and stay focused.

I think if this hiring occurs and JM stays on, any clash between him and Hartley will result in another GM being shown the door.

Ever since Cohen took over, there's been a disturbing trend of choosing coach over management in this organization. It's part of the reason we've only made marginal strides during this rebuild.
Well said Ratman. I do like Hartley's fire behind the bench and think he could do some good here. I surely can't blame him for Atlanta's start this year because Waddell screwed that team more than anything.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:28 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Well said Ratman. I do like Hartley's fire behind the bench and think he could do some good here. I surely can't blame him for Atlanta's start this year because Waddell screwed that team more than anything.
I have to agree as well. Management hasn't been given much of a chance to get their plan in place, and we keep choosing a coach first. Hopefully Martin, if he stays, wants the same guy Cohen wants just as bad.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:34 AM
Iwishihadacup

I really hope panthers and not Sens will get Hartley. habs fan out!

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:44 AM
Pukboy5kroner

Hartley wouldn't be a bad choice. This team needs a more in your face coach. JM's postgame "we played a pretty good game, er, we had some chances, der, but we just need to capitalize on em, uhmm, some guys need to step up" speeches were getting a little stale.

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:46 AM
Cfan*

cohen is a joke. no wonder nieuwy left.

Cfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 10:02 AM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmanfu View Post

Excellent post. If we ever really want to see real change, it must come from the top... the VERY top. I want some freaking stability in this organization for once.

What happens when we bring in Hartley? He and JM don't get along, JM gets fired or quits, Sexton plays interim GM until a long-term GM gets here, Panthers miss playoffs, long-term GM says a rebuild is in order and trades away everyone for picks and prospects, rebuild takes too long for Cohen, Cohen fires Hartley and new GM, hires Keenan.

Tell me I'm wrong.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 10:36 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
Excellent post. If we ever really want to see real change, it must come from the top... the VERY top. I want some freaking stability in this organization for once.

What happens when we bring in Hartley? He and JM don't get along, JM gets fired or quits, Sexton plays interim GM until a long-term GM gets here, Panthers miss playoffs, long-term GM says a rebuild is in order and trades away everyone for picks and prospects, rebuild takes too long for Cohen, Cohen fires Hartley and new GM, hires Keenan.

Tell me I'm wrong.
more of the same. *sigh* why is what alan cohen wants even relevant? hiring the coach is the job of your hockey person, not your layman owner. same crap we saw with huizinga and the dolphins - these people are NOT qualified to be sticking their heads into hiring matters. message to cohen - get a director of hockey operations and get the hell out of day to day business!

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 11:19 AM
Bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfan View Post

Newy left because he wanted the GM job.

Bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 11:29 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bystander View Post
Newy left because he wanted the GM job.
do you have any evidence at ALL to back up that statement? i'm expecting to hear the sound of crickets.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 11:46 AM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

I like Hartley. Good choice.

Unfortunately, Cohen has made a mistake handling this situation. He has tried to please the fans calling for a new coach and still try to maintain some stability within the organization by not removing Martin completely. Cohen can't pick the coach and expect JM the GM to be perfectly content with it. Cohen is trying to please too many people, his intent is good but shortsighted. He either should get rid of JM completely or let JM hire the coach. Letting JM hire the coach doesn't seem like it will happen so he needs to get rid of him completely. Having it both ways is a good way to cause more in house problems down the road.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
do you have any evidence at ALL to back up that statement? i'm expecting to hear the sound of crickets.
As a matter of fact I do, the true story will come out one of these days, just like the story about Keenan and Dudley and Keenan and Martin eventually came out... The story of Newy and Martin will come out as well.

Will just leave it at that. And quite honestly could care less if you believe me or not. Just telling you what I know.

Old
04-12-2008, 11:51 AM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Quote:
As a matter of fact I do, the true story will come out one of these days, just like the story about Keenan and Dudley and Keenan and Martin eventually came out... The story of Newy and Martin will come out as well.

Will just leave it at that. And quite honestly could care less if you believe me or not. Just telling you what I know.
How do you know what you know? I said yesterday he might have wanted the GM position.

For all we know maybe Newy realized he has plenty of money and doesn't need a job and wanted to spend more time with his family.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 11:54 AM
Montsy14

vCash: 50
Quote:

OK, so why did he leave before the GM job was occupied? Nobody knows right now whether Jacques is going to keep it. Why would Nieuwy tender his resignation before the GM job was filled securely?

Anyway, I wouldn't mind Hartley to be the new coach, but I can assume that if the Ottawa position becomes available he will jump on that first, but I am just guessing, but who knows, maybe he will stay in the Southeast because he is probably already comfortable there.

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 11:54 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:

Just like people came in here "with insider info" that Olli was gone at the deadline, for the past few years...?

Nieuwyndyk has never showed the type of childish personality that him leaving because he can't have the GM position displays. Why would he just leave (when Martin is staying as GM, it's not like someone else is coming in having been chosen over Joey) when he can continue to learn more under Martin and Sexton? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Last edited by Laus723: 04-12-2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old
04-12-2008, 11:56 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
I like Hartley. Good choice.

Unfortunately, Cohen has made a mistake handling this situation. He has tried to please the fans calling for a new coach and still try to maintain some stability within the organization by not removing Martin completely. Cohen can't pick the coach and expect JM the GM to be perfectly content with it. Cohen is trying to please too many people, his intent is good but shortsighted. He either should get rid of JM completely or let JM hire the coach. Letting JM hire the coach doesn't seem like it will happen so he needs to get rid of him completely. Having it both ways is a good way to cause more in house problems down the road.
Cohe' not tryign to please people, he said himself he liked Martin as GM during the state of the team, according to PB1300. He said it flatly right to him. Martin has done a good job as GM, but if he refuses to be just that...sorry.

Old
04-12-2008, 11:57 AM
Bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
OK, so why did he leave before the GM job was occupied? Nobody knows right now whether Jacques is going to keep it. Why would Nieuwy tender his resignation before the GM job was filled securely?

Very simple, because Cohen wants Martin back as GM and told everyone so, including Newy.

Old
04-12-2008, 12:00 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Hiring a coach before a GM is stupid. If Martin stays, then I guess this would be acceptable, although Hartley isn't my first choice.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 12:00 PM
VirtualSpree

Apparently either Alan Cohen, or someone parading around as Alan Cohen just posted this on the official Panthers boards. Honestly I hope it really is him, because it's a very impressive move if it's truly him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Cohen
I enjoyed getting together with other Panther fans so much, i didnt want it to end. So i figured i would say hello this way.

More importantly, the day after i told you i don't get involved with hockey decisions and that Jacques will decide who the new coach is, a report comes out that i have contacted Bob Hartley to be our coach.

Even more comical is that the report says that i have discussed this with Jacques and asked if they could get along.

They make these things up. What can I say? I just figured if i get on here and tell you the truth, it would make things easier on everybody.

Oh and Jacques IS in Rochester today. Thought Id clear that up too.

Thanks again for the other night.

Like Jacques, im a man of my word. I may not have all the answers, but when i say something, its the truth.

Thanks again.
http://forums.floridapanthers.com/in...showtopic=2899

Last edited by VirtualSpree: 04-12-2008 at 12:06 PM.
VirtualSpree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Booth10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSpree View Post
Apparantly either Alan Cohen, or someone parading around as Alan Cohen just posted this on the official Panthers boards.

That is really cool.

I was going to write that he just spent 3 hrs talking to people and answering all the questions and then people take what other people say and make it fact, as if he said it.

Booth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSpree View Post
Apparantly either Alan Cohen, or someone parading around as Alan Cohen just posted this on the official Panthers boards.

I don't think that's him, doesn't sound like him. Why would he suddenly show up after all this time? Just to thank fans and call things comical...like a fan does? Don't think so.

Old
04-12-2008, 12:07 PM
Bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I don't think that's him, doesn't sound like him. Why would he suddenly show up after all this time? Just to thank fans and call things comical...like a fan does? Don't think so.
That is him.