HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Jacob Markström

Old
04-12-2008, 11:53 AM
Pellegrino

vCash: 500
Jacob Markström

This guy deserves a thread of his own.

Goalkeeper prospect Jacob Markström has been fastastic för Brynäs lately. He has been the top keeper in "Kvalserien" (SEL qualifiers with a lot of nerves).

Kvalserien stats:
1. Jacob Markström 93,12%
2. Ed Belfour 91,06%
3. Juha Pitämäki 90,28%
4. Jani Hurme 89,64%
5. Johan Thalberg 89,45%
6. Christopher Nihlstorp 89,02%

Kvalserien stats:
1. Jacob Markström 1,78 goal/game
2. Juha Pitämäki 2,40
3. Ed Belfour 2,59
4. Jani Hurme 2,88
5. Christopher Nihlstorp 3,25
6. Johan Thalberg 3,91

Brynäs say they want Markström to be their #1 goalkeeper in SEL next season (they did qualify). Anders Lindbäck, born 1988, will be backup.

Markström is fantastic, I think he can be even better than Henrik Lundqvist. Watch this space.

Pellegrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 08:42 AM
An Ape called Yoko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellegrino View Post
This guy deserves a thread of his own.

Goalkeeper prospect Jacob Markström has been fastastic för Brynäs lately. He has been the top keeper in "Kvalserien" (SEL qualifiers with a lot of nerves).

Kvalserien stats:
1. Jacob Markström 93,12%
2. Ed Belfour 91,06%
3. Juha Pitämäki 90,28%
4. Jani Hurme 89,64%
5. Johan Thalberg 89,45%
6. Christopher Nihlstorp 89,02%

Kvalserien stats:
1. Jacob Markström 1,78 goal/game
2. Juha Pitämäki 2,40
3. Ed Belfour 2,59
4. Jani Hurme 2,88
5. Christopher Nihlstorp 3,25
6. Johan Thalberg 3,91

Brynäs say they want Markström to be their #1 goalkeeper in SEL next season (they did qualify). Anders Lindbäck, born 1988, will be backup.

Markström is fantastic, I think he can be even better than Henrik Lundqvist. Watch this space.
He will be drafted in the first round. If he had been a finn, he would have been hyped like Kari Lehtonen.

An Ape called Yoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 09:51 AM
JBeast

Quote:

I agree. I´ve only seen 5 games with this kid. But from what I´ve seen, he has the potential to become a really, really good goalie. He has good size, lightning quick reflexes and good positional play. If he preforms well in the upcoming J18 WC I´m fairly confident that he has a good chance being picked in the first round. But he has a long way to go before he´s better then H. Lundqvist, but IMO he´s a bigger prospect then Enroth.

JBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:29 AM
Orre*

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ape called Yoko View Post
He will be drafted in the first round. If he had been a finn, he would have been hyped like Kari Lehtonen.
why is that this board hope every damn goalie from finland but totally forgets about markstrom?

Orre* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:34 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
I've got a friend in Sweden who lives in Gavle, and watches Brynas play, and He says Markstrom will be a 1st round draft pick, and he thinks he will be a star goalie in the NHL.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 11:53 AM
hawksfan50

I think Markstrom will go 1st round ...I also like another--but 2 years older --Swedish 6'4 goalie =Eddie Lack ..he might last into round three ... curiosly both have an Eddie Belfour connection...Markstrom beat out Belfour for best goalie save % in the Kvalelitserien,and Lack lost his starting job with Leksands when they brought in Belfour in mid-season though lack led all Allsvenskan goaliees in save % at the time--by year end he still edged out Belfour with a better save % on Leksands..anyway these 2 BIG Swedish goalies,Marlstrom and Lack could be stars in goal in future for the NHl teams that draft them...

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 12:08 PM
Spalfredsson

I can see Markstrom going anywhere from 20-40 in this years draft... just my opinion though..

Spalfredsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 12:11 PM
Orre*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speatley View Post
I can see Markstrom going anywhere from 20-40 in this years draft... just my opinion though..
I got swedish friends, and a 18 year old goalie in SEL with good stats are unheard of in sweden.

Old
04-14-2008, 12:20 PM
Spalfredsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orre View Post
I got swedish friends, and a 18 year old goalie in SEL with good stats are unheard of in sweden.
ok ?

Old
04-14-2008, 12:34 PM
Ola

I like Markström allot. But teams will be hesistant to take european goalies with the 2 year rule.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 01:52 PM
Joretus

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ape called Yoko View Post
Lehtonen were best goalie in whole finnish league, not in first division. He won championship, won playoffs MVP and had better stats than Markström. That's his draft year. And second year best goalie as well, etc.

Haven't seen Markström doing that yet. Not being such a prospect than Lehtonen.

And of course I could be wrong, but don't see Markström being top-5 pick let alone top-2 like Lehtonen.

Quote:
why is that this board hope every damn goalie from finland but totally forgets about markstrom?
I would guess reason would be that Finland is having best goalies/NHL'ers ratio from top nations and some european nations(Russia, Switzerland, etc.) are recruiting finnish goalie coaches, etc.

And I don't see forgetting Markström or much about hype of finnish goalies this season. Actually much less fuzz than could have been from likes of Mika Järvinen, etc.

Quote:
Good stats in SEL like 88,8% and GAA over 3,1? I know swedish goalies aren't very talented, but I bet there have been some swedish at age of 18y posting that kind of stats...

Last edited by Joretus: 04-14-2008 at 02:02 PM.
Joretus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 02:04 PM
Pellegrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
I think Markstrom will go 1st round ...I also like another--but 2 years older --Swedish 6'4 goalie =Eddie Lack ..he might last into round three ... curiosly both have an Eddie Belfour connection...Markstrom beat out Belfour for best goalie save % in the Kvalelitserien,and Lack lost his starting job with Leksands when they brought in Belfour in mid-season though lack led all Allsvenskan goaliees in save % at the time--by year end he still edged out Belfour with a better save % on Leksands..anyway these 2 BIG Swedish goalies,Marlstrom and Lack could be stars in goal in future for the NHl teams that draft them...
Läck was 4th choice for Sweden in WJC, Lindbäck was 3rd. Lindbäck is better than Läck, but Läck's club have many fans in Sweden and they hype him

Obviously Lehtonen was/is a huge prospect, with world class potential, but I'd say Markström also has the potential to become one of the very best goalkeepers in the world.

Old
04-14-2008, 02:11 PM
Joretus

Quote:
Obviously Lehtonen was/is a huge prospect, with world class potential, but I'd say Markström also has the potential to become one of the very best goalkeepers in the world.
I do like Markström potential, tho haven't seen him more than a bit. But just going by stats and asking why Lehtonen got more hype. Well I think there was clear and simple reason. Performing higher level, whole season and in the top of the league as well.

All in all I think there isn't much of knowledge about european prospects in these boards anyway. And same goes even for some scouting agencies. Easy to see how equal prospect from CHL gets a lot more hype and even better draft position compared to european one in Europe.

Old
04-14-2008, 04:07 PM
John Flyers Fan

How big is he ?

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 04:10 PM
Orre*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joretus View Post

Good stats in SEL like 88,8% and GAA over 3,1? I know swedish goalies aren't very talented, but I bet there have been some swedish at age of 18y posting that kind of stats...
you obviously havent seen the games. The other goalies brynas had were even worse, and Brynas is the worst team in the league, think tampa bay or LA kings. He got praised for his play actually.

Last edited by Orre*: 04-14-2008 at 04:19 PM.
Old
04-14-2008, 04:19 PM
Pellegrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
How big is he ?
He's 6'4".

Old
04-14-2008, 07:40 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
you obviously havent seen the games. The other goalies brynas had were even worse, and Brynas is the worst team in the league, think tampa bay or LA kings. He got praised for his play actually.

Yeah Brynas was terrible this year. Markstrom is going to be a hell of a player.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 02:06 AM
AndersEriksson*

Quote:
I got swedish friends.
Prove it! I know at least 12 swedes and none of them have ever heard of you!

AndersEriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 02:28 AM
USC Trojans
AD

Any chance he'll fall to the mid 20s? I'd like to see the Oilers give him a shot since JDD and DD are not sure things and we have enough depth in the farm for the other positions.

USC Trojans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 03:43 AM
Joretus

Quote:
You did praise his stats, not his play. I did comment his stats, not his play.

Old
04-17-2008, 08:11 AM
Yabob

Quote:
Läck was 4th choice for Sweden in WJC, Lindbäck was 3rd. Lindbäck is better than Läck, but Läck's club have many fans in Sweden and they hype him
And Läck played for one of the best teams in the league which means he faced less of a challenge compared to Lindbäck who played for a team that ended up somewhere in the middle. Same goes for Christian Engstrand who was probably 5th choice who also played for a team in the middle like Lindbäck. He didn't get to play many games before the WJC team was announced though, but later turned out to be the starter for his Allsvenskan team when he got the chance to play. He could have beaten both the above mentioned if he had got some more games played.

Neither of these goalies reaches the potential of Markström though, and can be passed on for later drafts so that the NHL teams can get a better picture on how they will turn out.

Yabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 04:47 PM
Princeton

Still tearing it up this year.

Just got his GAA under 2.00.

Nice

Princeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 05:45 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Go JM

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 05:22 AM
XO

Seen some games with him and.. no words can describe.

XO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Spalfredsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalfredsson View Post
booyah! haha.