HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

VariousReports:Burke/Radivojevic/+ to Philly for Comrie/Seidenberg, not official yet

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2004, 09:45 PM
PhoPhan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
You can not beleive it if you want, but that is what happened. At no point did anyone say "Amonte wants to go to Phoenix" until the press conference to announce his signing.
So because there were no rumors foreseeing it, the only reason he could have signed was because absolutely no one else wanted him? That's some spin you put on that there...

Old
02-08-2004, 09:45 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyboucher24
As fas as the new CBA goes, I think it will be something like what baseball did. Baseball salaries were going insane for a long time, but the last few years especially. The owners were able to put the brakes on salaries just a bit. Instead of Vlad getting the $20 mill/per salary he would have gotten 3-4 years ago, he signed for something like $15 mill/per. Pitchers will be getting more $10-12 per deals instead og $15 per deals. BUT, BUT, BUT, the Yankees are still spending and the Milwaukees are still not. As fas as the NHL goes, the Rangers, Flyers, etc. will probably still be able to spend, and the Phoenixs, Edmontons, Calgarys will probably not. Sure, I wish something could be done to help the smaller market teams, but reality is reality. The players aren't going to give up what they got.
Vlad getting 15 a year had nothing to do with the CBA and everything to do with ARod and Manny Ramirez making $20+ million and their teams being stuck with them.

Old
02-08-2004, 09:47 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
Amonte was and is a proven commodity. You are the one kidding yourself if you think he didn't have similar offers to the one from Phoenix.
Where did I say that he didn't have similar offers from other teams? Fact remains he went to where the money is, like any free agent does.

Old
02-08-2004, 09:50 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Quote:
So because there were no rumors foreseeing it, the only reason he could have signed was because absolutely no one else wanted him? That's some spin you put on that there...
There was rumors that he was going to the Rangers or Islanders. There was a mention that he might end up in like San Jose or something, but the Coyotes were the ones who were giving him the most money. Hence the comment "it's nice to go where you're wanted." However, when he ended up on Phoenix, it was almost out of nowhere that it happened. About 2 days before that I think sportsnet said that a deal was close with the Islanders. When ESPN posted the story, they mentioned it came as a bit of a suprise.

When I said 'no one wanted him" I didn't mean that the Coyotes were the only team to offer him a contract. There was very little interest in him.

Old
02-08-2004, 09:53 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller
The spending will be different, the players and owners are going to come to some sort of agreement which limits spending somewhat.
Says who? You? You don't know that for sure. Similar things were said about baseball, and that hasn't happened yet.

Quote:
Phoenix has a good young core,you seriously underestimate the talent that they would have if they managed to get Comrie.
You're not understanding my point. Good talent doesn't mean jack if you don't coach and manage it properly. They can accumulate all the young talent they want, it could get them nowhere. There are no guarantees.

Quote:
You put him with Doan and Nagy and you got a great first line for next season or whenever they decide to put them all together...i don't know why its hard for so many of you to grasp the idea that the Coyotes will be a really good team in the future if they are to add Comrie to the mix.
I don't know why it's so hard for you to understand that just because you have good young players now that it does not mean in 3 or 4 or however many years from now that they'll still be around or that the team will be so good. I'm not saying the Coyotes won't be, I'm saying that it is in no way certain.

Old
02-08-2004, 09:54 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
There was rumors that he was going to the Rangers or Islanders. There was a mention that he might end up in like San Jose or something, but the Coyotes were the ones who were giving him the most money. Hence the comment "it's nice to go where you're wanted." However, when he ended up on Phoenix, it was almost out of nowhere that it happened. About 2 days before that I think sportsnet said that a deal was close with the Islanders. When ESPN posted the story, they mentioned it came as a bit of a suprise.

When I said 'no one wanted him" I didn't mean that the Coyotes were the only team to offer him a contract. There was very little interest in him.
If he had similar offers, why would he choose the Coyotes over those other teams? Could it be the Great One?

Old
02-08-2004, 09:55 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
If he had similar offers, why would he choose the Coyotes over those other teams? Could it be the Great One?
As has already been explained to you, they offered more money. Gretzky might have had something to do with it, but it's all about the Benjamins.

Old
02-08-2004, 09:57 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
As has already been explained to you, they offered more money. Gretzky might have had something to do with it, but it's all about the Benjamins.
My point is, the Rangers and other teams most likely offered the same or more money.

Old
02-08-2004, 09:57 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:

Could it be he was getting the most money? The Islanders were only offering something like 4.5 mill. This after signing Yashin and Peca to big contracts and getting Osgood's big contract, all in the offseason before that.

Old
02-08-2004, 10:04 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
i think it had to do mostly with term of contract. the bruins were offering 2 years at 6-7 million per. he wanted a long term deal though.

Old
02-08-2004, 10:05 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
i think it had to do mostly with term of contract. the bruins were offering 2 years at 6-7 million per. he wanted a long term deal though.
I highly doubt that. The same Bruins refused to give Jason Allison similar money.

Old
02-08-2004, 10:08 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
I highly doubt that. The same Bruins refused to give Jason Allison similar money.

Didn't those same Bruins give Lapointe a contract in the 5 million range though?

Old
02-08-2004, 10:10 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club
Didn't those same Bruins give Lapointe a contract in the 5 million range though?
Lapointe had had a better season, Amonte had struggled his last year with Chicago.

Old
02-08-2004, 10:12 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
My point is, the Rangers and other teams most likely offered the same or more money.
Sorry, but you're wrong.

July 9th http://tony-amonte.com/articles/0709...thoutateam.htm

Quote:
Amonte, the best free agent on the market, has not as yet received a single bona-fide offer from not only the Rangers or Islanders, but any club.
July 11th http://tony-amonte.com/articles/07112002_notbound.htm

Quote:
It is likely that Rangers general manager Glen Sather will speak with Amonte's agent, Mike Gillis, at least once more to see what numbers are on the table. But Sather still doesn't have room in his budget for Amonte after having signed Bobby Holik, Darius Kasparaitis, and Mike Richter.
Also July 11th http://tony-amonte.com/articles/07112002_pursuit.htm

Quote:
However, the Bruins had made no firm offer as of last night. Inside word is that Boston isn't prepared at the moment to spend more than $6 million a season ($12 million for two) to land Amonte
July 12th http://tony-amonte.com/articles/07122002_adrift.htm

Quote:
A league official said Amonte was seeking an average salary of $7 million a season, a price that appears too high for both the Rangers and the Islanders, the teams that have shown the most interest in him this week.
Also July 12th http://tony-amonte.com/articles/0712...rytoentice.htm

Quote:
Sources last night said the Bruins offered Amonte a four-year deal worth $24 million.
Later that day, Amonte signed with the Coyotes, the only team offering him more than two years. It had nothing to do with playing for Gretzky, and everything to do with being the only team to offer him the long term deal at around 6 million a year that he wanted. If he had signed a two year deal, a new contract wouldn't get him anywhere near the money he's going to get for the next two years on the contract he has now (which is backloaded). It was all about the money, and getting it over the long term.

Old
02-08-2004, 10:15 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Also July 12th http://tony-amonte.com/articles/0712...rytoentice.htm

Later that day, Amonte signed with the Coyotes, the only team offering him more than two years. It had nothing to do with playing for Gretzky, and everything to do with being the only team to offer him the long term deal at around 6 million a year that he wanted.
If Boston offered Amonte a 4 year deal worth 24 million, it seems like the only difference to him between playing in Boston and Phoenix would be that he would have to defer some of his cash to play in Phoenix. And then the whole Gretzky thing...

Old
02-08-2004, 10:16 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Lapointe had had a better season, Amonte had struggled his last year with Chicago.
This statement is wrong then. I apoligize. But Amonte still wanted more than what Lapointe was going to get from Boston.

Old
02-08-2004, 10:16 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
Which is about the money. Players seek long term deals because it gives them more money over that period of time. Rarely does a player get more money as a free agent when he is 33 than when he is 31. So rather than take a 2 year deal, you take the 4 deal for the same amount per year (on average) because it's more money in the long run.

Old
02-08-2004, 10:19 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
If Boston offered Amonte a 4 year deal worth 24 million, it seems like the only difference to him between playing in Boston and Phoenix would be that he would have to defer some of his cash to play in Phoenix. And then the whole Gretzky thing...
And a 5 million dollar signing bonus. Like I said, Gretzky might have had a part in it, but the money had a much bigger part.

And the fact that he didn't mention Gretzky in any of the quotes about signing with the Coyotes doesn't help your case. Or the fact that nobody has.

Old
02-08-2004, 10:19 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Get off the Gretzky thing! It means nothing. Why didn't Bobby Holik, Teemu Selanne and Bill Guerin sign in Phoenix then? Amonte took a paycut because no one would give him 7 million. Phoenix and Boston offered him the same exact deal, but Phoenix was, at that time, a more attractive team. What does Gretzky have to do with anything? This isn't Jordan or Lemieux where he was going to play.

Old
02-08-2004, 10:21 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
And a 5 million dollar signing bonus. Like I said, Gretzky might have had a part in it, but the money had a much bigger part.
And that's all I've been saying all along. Having Gretzky helps.

Old
02-08-2004, 10:22 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
And that's all I've been saying all along. Having Gretzky helps.
Funny you left out my comment about nobody ever using Gretzky as a reason they signed with the Coyotes.

Old
02-08-2004, 10:23 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Funny you left out my comment about nobody ever using Gretzky as a reason they signed with the Coyotes.
I don't have any direct quotes, but I distinctly remember hearing players say how great it is to work with him on a daily basis.

Old
02-08-2004, 10:27 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
I don't have any direct quotes, but I distinctly remember hearing players say how great it is to work with him on a daily basis.
What do you expect them to say?

"Yeah, Gretzky owns the team, but I don't care if I get to work with him or not."

Old
02-08-2004, 10:28 PM
SouthFlyer82

Quote:

Amonte was and is a proven commodity. You are the one kidding yourself if you think he didn't have similar offers to the one from Phoenix.
His best offer outside of the Coyotes was from the Islanders and I believe was almost 1.5 less a year then what they gave him and he wanted 7.5 at the time.

Old
02-08-2004, 10:29 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
What do you expect them to say?

"Yeah, Gretzky owns the team, but I don't care if I get to work with him or not."
They could just not say anything.
The fact is, Wayne Gretzky is the most respected hockey player of all time, and one of the greatest athletes of all time. However minor it may be, it is a feather in the Coyotes' cap. Even as a figurehead, Gretz is a helpful guy to have around.

Closed Thread