HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

VariousReports:Burke/Radivojevic/+ to Philly for Comrie/Seidenberg, not official yet

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-08-2004, 09:45 PM
  #326
PhoPhan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 13,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
You can not beleive it if you want, but that is what happened. At no point did anyone say "Amonte wants to go to Phoenix" until the press conference to announce his signing.
So because there were no rumors foreseeing it, the only reason he could have signed was because absolutely no one else wanted him? That's some spin you put on that there...

PhoPhan is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 09:45 PM
  #327
Dr Love
Registered User
 
Dr Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 20,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyboucher24
As fas as the new CBA goes, I think it will be something like what baseball did. Baseball salaries were going insane for a long time, but the last few years especially. The owners were able to put the brakes on salaries just a bit. Instead of Vlad getting the $20 mill/per salary he would have gotten 3-4 years ago, he signed for something like $15 mill/per. Pitchers will be getting more $10-12 per deals instead og $15 per deals. BUT, BUT, BUT, the Yankees are still spending and the Milwaukees are still not. As fas as the NHL goes, the Rangers, Flyers, etc. will probably still be able to spend, and the Phoenixs, Edmontons, Calgarys will probably not. Sure, I wish something could be done to help the smaller market teams, but reality is reality. The players aren't going to give up what they got.
Vlad getting 15 a year had nothing to do with the CBA and everything to do with ARod and Manny Ramirez making $20+ million and their teams being stuck with them.

Dr Love is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 09:47 PM
  #328
Dr Love
Registered User
 
Dr Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 20,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
Amonte was and is a proven commodity. You are the one kidding yourself if you think he didn't have similar offers to the one from Phoenix.
Where did I say that he didn't have similar offers from other teams? Fact remains he went to where the money is, like any free agent does.

Dr Love is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 09:50 PM
  #329
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,412
vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
So because there were no rumors foreseeing it, the only reason he could have signed was because absolutely no one else wanted him? That's some spin you put on that there...
There was rumors that he was going to the Rangers or Islanders. There was a mention that he might end up in like San Jose or something, but the Coyotes were the ones who were giving him the most money. Hence the comment "it's nice to go where you're wanted." However, when he ended up on Phoenix, it was almost out of nowhere that it happened. About 2 days before that I think sportsnet said that a deal was close with the Islanders. When ESPN posted the story, they mentioned it came as a bit of a suprise.

When I said 'no one wanted him" I didn't mean that the Coyotes were the only team to offer him a contract. There was very little interest in him.

GKJ is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 09:53 PM
  #330
Dr Love
Registered User
 
Dr Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 20,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller
The spending will be different, the players and owners are going to come to some sort of agreement which limits spending somewhat.
Says who? You? You don't know that for sure. Similar things were said about baseball, and that hasn't happened yet.

Quote:
Phoenix has a good young core,you seriously underestimate the talent that they would have if they managed to get Comrie.
You're not understanding my point. Good talent doesn't mean jack if you don't coach and manage it properly. They can accumulate all the young talent they want, it could get them nowhere. There are no guarantees.

Quote:
You put him with Doan and Nagy and you got a great first line for next season or whenever they decide to put them all together...i don't know why its hard for so many of you to grasp the idea that the Coyotes will be a really good team in the future if they are to add Comrie to the mix.
I don't know why it's so hard for you to understand that just because you have good young players now that it does not mean in 3 or 4 or however many years from now that they'll still be around or that the team will be so good. I'm not saying the Coyotes won't be, I'm saying that it is in no way certain.

Dr Love is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 09:54 PM
  #331
PhoPhan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 13,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
There was rumors that he was going to the Rangers or Islanders. There was a mention that he might end up in like San Jose or something, but the Coyotes were the ones who were giving him the most money. Hence the comment "it's nice to go where you're wanted." However, when he ended up on Phoenix, it was almost out of nowhere that it happened. About 2 days before that I think sportsnet said that a deal was close with the Islanders. When ESPN posted the story, they mentioned it came as a bit of a suprise.

When I said 'no one wanted him" I didn't mean that the Coyotes were the only team to offer him a contract. There was very little interest in him.
If he had similar offers, why would he choose the Coyotes over those other teams? Could it be the Great One?

PhoPhan is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 09:55 PM
  #332
Dr Love
Registered User
 
Dr Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 20,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
If he had similar offers, why would he choose the Coyotes over those other teams? Could it be the Great One?
As has already been explained to you, they offered more money. Gretzky might have had something to do with it, but it's all about the Benjamins.

Dr Love is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 09:57 PM
  #333
PhoPhan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 13,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
As has already been explained to you, they offered more money. Gretzky might have had something to do with it, but it's all about the Benjamins.
My point is, the Rangers and other teams most likely offered the same or more money.

PhoPhan is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 09:57 PM
  #334
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,412
vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
If he had similar offers, why would he choose the Coyotes over those other teams? Could it be the Great One?

Could it be he was getting the most money? The Islanders were only offering something like 4.5 mill. This after signing Yashin and Peca to big contracts and getting Osgood's big contract, all in the offseason before that.

GKJ is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 10:04 PM
  #335
neelynugs
Registered User
 
neelynugs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Vote Quimby!
Posts: 29,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
As has already been explained to you, they offered more money. Gretzky might have had something to do with it, but it's all about the Benjamins.
i think it had to do mostly with term of contract. the bruins were offering 2 years at 6-7 million per. he wanted a long term deal though.

neelynugs is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 10:05 PM
  #336
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,412
vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
i think it had to do mostly with term of contract. the bruins were offering 2 years at 6-7 million per. he wanted a long term deal though.
I highly doubt that. The same Bruins refused to give Jason Allison similar money.

GKJ is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 10:08 PM
  #337
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
I highly doubt that. The same Bruins refused to give Jason Allison similar money.

Didn't those same Bruins give Lapointe a contract in the 5 million range though?

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 10:10 PM
  #338
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,412
vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club
Didn't those same Bruins give Lapointe a contract in the 5 million range though?
Lapointe had had a better season, Amonte had struggled his last year with Chicago.

GKJ is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 10:12 PM
  #339
Dr Love
Registered User
 
Dr Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 20,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
My point is, the Rangers and other teams most likely offered the same or more money.
Sorry, but you're wrong.

July 9th http://tony-amonte.com/articles/0709...thoutateam.htm

Quote:
Amonte, the best free agent on the market, has not as yet received a single bona-fide offer from not only the Rangers or Islanders, but any club.
July 11th http://tony-amonte.com/articles/07112002_notbound.htm

Quote:
It is likely that Rangers general manager Glen Sather will speak with Amonte's agent, Mike Gillis, at least once more to see what numbers are on the table. But Sather still doesn't have room in his budget for Amonte after having signed Bobby Holik, Darius Kasparaitis, and Mike Richter.
Also July 11th http://tony-amonte.com/articles/07112002_pursuit.htm

Quote:
However, the Bruins had made no firm offer as of last night. Inside word is that Boston isn't prepared at the moment to spend more than $6 million a season ($12 million for two) to land Amonte
July 12th http://tony-amonte.com/articles/07122002_adrift.htm

Quote:
A league official said Amonte was seeking an average salary of $7 million a season, a price that appears too high for both the Rangers and the Islanders, the teams that have shown the most interest in him this week.
Also July 12th http://tony-amonte.com/articles/0712...rytoentice.htm

Quote:
Sources last night said the Bruins offered Amonte a four-year deal worth $24 million.
Later that day, Amonte signed with the Coyotes, the only team offering him more than two years. It had nothing to do with playing for Gretzky, and everything to do with being the only team to offer him the long term deal at around 6 million a year that he wanted. If he had signed a two year deal, a new contract wouldn't get him anywhere near the money he's going to get for the next two years on the contract he has now (which is backloaded). It was all about the money, and getting it over the long term.

Dr Love is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 10:15 PM
  #340
PhoPhan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 13,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
Also July 12th http://tony-amonte.com/articles/0712...rytoentice.htm



Later that day, Amonte signed with the Coyotes, the only team offering him more than two years. It had nothing to do with playing for Gretzky, and everything to do with being the only team to offer him the long term deal at around 6 million a year that he wanted.
If Boston offered Amonte a 4 year deal worth 24 million, it seems like the only difference to him between playing in Boston and Phoenix would be that he would have to defer some of his cash to play in Phoenix. And then the whole Gretzky thing...

PhoPhan is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 10:16 PM
  #341
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,412
vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Lapointe had had a better season, Amonte had struggled his last year with Chicago.
This statement is wrong then. I apoligize. But Amonte still wanted more than what Lapointe was going to get from Boston.

GKJ is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 10:16 PM
  #342
Dr Love
Registered User
 
Dr Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 20,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
i think it had to do mostly with term of contract. the bruins were offering 2 years at 6-7 million per. he wanted a long term deal though.
Which is about the money. Players seek long term deals because it gives them more money over that period of time. Rarely does a player get more money as a free agent when he is 33 than when he is 31. So rather than take a 2 year deal, you take the 4 deal for the same amount per year (on average) because it's more money in the long run.

Dr Love is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 10:19 PM
  #343
Dr Love
Registered User
 
Dr Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 20,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
If Boston offered Amonte a 4 year deal worth 24 million, it seems like the only difference to him between playing in Boston and Phoenix would be that he would have to defer some of his cash to play in Phoenix. And then the whole Gretzky thing...
And a 5 million dollar signing bonus. Like I said, Gretzky might have had a part in it, but the money had a much bigger part.

And the fact that he didn't mention Gretzky in any of the quotes about signing with the Coyotes doesn't help your case. Or the fact that nobody has.

Dr Love is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 10:19 PM
  #344
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,412
vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
If Boston offered Amonte a 4 year deal worth 24 million, it seems like the only difference to him between playing in Boston and Phoenix would be that he would have to defer some of his cash to play in Phoenix. And then the whole Gretzky thing...
Get off the Gretzky thing! It means nothing. Why didn't Bobby Holik, Teemu Selanne and Bill Guerin sign in Phoenix then? Amonte took a paycut because no one would give him 7 million. Phoenix and Boston offered him the same exact deal, but Phoenix was, at that time, a more attractive team. What does Gretzky have to do with anything? This isn't Jordan or Lemieux where he was going to play.

GKJ is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 10:21 PM
  #345
PhoPhan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 13,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
And a 5 million dollar signing bonus. Like I said, Gretzky might have had a part in it, but the money had a much bigger part.
And that's all I've been saying all along. Having Gretzky helps.

PhoPhan is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 10:22 PM
  #346
Dr Love
Registered User
 
Dr Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 20,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
And that's all I've been saying all along. Having Gretzky helps.
Funny you left out my comment about nobody ever using Gretzky as a reason they signed with the Coyotes.

Dr Love is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 10:23 PM
  #347
PhoPhan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 13,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
Funny you left out my comment about nobody ever using Gretzky as a reason they signed with the Coyotes.
I don't have any direct quotes, but I distinctly remember hearing players say how great it is to work with him on a daily basis.

PhoPhan is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 10:27 PM
  #348
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,412
vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
I don't have any direct quotes, but I distinctly remember hearing players say how great it is to work with him on a daily basis.
What do you expect them to say?

"Yeah, Gretzky owns the team, but I don't care if I get to work with him or not."

GKJ is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 10:28 PM
  #349
SouthFlyer82
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan

Amonte was and is a proven commodity. You are the one kidding yourself if you think he didn't have similar offers to the one from Phoenix.
His best offer outside of the Coyotes was from the Islanders and I believe was almost 1.5 less a year then what they gave him and he wanted 7.5 at the time.

SouthFlyer82 is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 10:29 PM
  #350
PhoPhan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 13,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
What do you expect them to say?

"Yeah, Gretzky owns the team, but I don't care if I get to work with him or not."
They could just not say anything.
The fact is, Wayne Gretzky is the most respected hockey player of all time, and one of the greatest athletes of all time. However minor it may be, it is a feather in the Coyotes' cap. Even as a figurehead, Gretz is a helpful guy to have around.

PhoPhan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.