HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Did anyone else think...

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2004, 01:01 AM
Silver

vCash: 500
Did anyone else think...

That Melrose, Pang, and Thorne sounded a little tipsy at the beginning of the show and got progressively more drunk, or was it just me?

Old
02-08-2004, 01:18 AM
Takeo

I wouldn't be surprised if Panger spiked his moca with a dose of peppermint schnapps. I know I would have. That event was torturously boring.

Old
02-08-2004, 01:26 AM
WuRtZLeSs

Send a message via AIM to WuRtZLeSs Send a message via MSN to WuRtZLeSs
For all the flack they get, I really like the ESPN commentators. I loved Panger talking about Staal and Francis and then halfway through stopping, pausing and then saying "What the hell was I talking about again?"

They might not always have the most gripping hockey commentary, but they are entertaining at the very least.

Old
02-08-2004, 02:43 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuRtZLeSs
For all the flack they get, I really like the ESPN commentators. I loved Panger talking about Staal and Francis and then halfway through stopping, pausing and then saying "What the hell was I talking about again?"

They might not always have the most gripping hockey commentary, but they are entertaining at the very least.
ESPN has the worst hockey announcers in the history of the NHL. I dont want to get into specifics, because I would have a record length post. But they are terrible...every single one of them. Just about every local TV duo is better. The best is Bob Cole and Harry Neale on CBC. Watch their broadcast ONCE and you will never see Thorne and Clement and the rest of the ESPN idiots in a favorable light.

If I ever went crazy and decided to go on a killing spree, Gary Thorne would be #1 on my list. God he sucks.

Old
02-08-2004, 02:56 AM
bgumble184

Send a message via AIM to bgumble184
Thorne is such an idiot. The whole youngstars game he was calling Staal Malone and Malone Staal. And he was saying Jeffrey Lupul. What a moron.

Old
02-08-2004, 03:22 AM
spence___

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
ESPN has the worst hockey announcers in the history of the NHL. I dont want to get into specifics, because I would have a record length post. But they are terrible...every single one of them. Just about every local TV duo is better. The best is Bob Cole and Harry Neale on CBC. Watch their broadcast ONCE and you will never see Thorne and Clement and the rest of the ESPN idiots in a favorable light.

If I ever went crazy and decided to go on a killing spree, Gary Thorne would be #1 on my list. God he sucks.
I feel the same

Old
02-08-2004, 03:24 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

thorne was red-faced, he was so trashed. by the end of the skills competition, he could barely get his words out. i liked melroses' "unbananas."

Old
02-08-2004, 03:37 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

imo john shorthouse and tom larscheid are the best commentators

Old
02-08-2004, 04:14 AM
ZadorovNJD*
go away fatso

You don't know truly bad commentating unless you heard Greg Millen during the skills competition. Ugh.

Old
02-08-2004, 05:18 AM
BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie
You don't know truly bad commentating unless you heard Greg Millen during the skills competition. Ugh.
I agree, greg millen could suck the goodness out of anything he announces. The skills comp. was soo boring and uneventful. I wish during the breakaway relay someone did something differnet and orginal (Jagr's goal was nice), but no. Make it fun!

Old
02-08-2004, 10:03 AM
name

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuRtZLeSs

As the tomatos are thrown, I'll stand up and say that I agree with you. Heck, I'll even go a step further and say that I like Barry Melrose ( Quite a bit!! How do you all like that? HUH? ).

Old
02-08-2004, 11:08 AM
Tom Liodice

Send a message via AIM to Tom Liodice
Anyone else notice how Gary Thorne kept on screwing up the scores during the skills competition as well???

Old
02-08-2004, 11:30 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
We've been talking about it on the Predator board. They've been this way since atleast 2000.

Old
02-08-2004, 12:46 PM
volzok

They may not be the best or most knowledgeable team, but I enjoy watching them. I like Thorne b/c no matter how drunk he is, he has fun and calls the game. He usually isnt biased to either team. To me that is important. My favorite play-by-play guy is probably Jim Hughson. I love how he calls the game.

Old
02-08-2004, 02:05 PM
Lyons71

And It's Zherd-e-v not Zherdov. It's just as anoying as JD's Kovalov...

Thorne kept confusing stall/malone, and Ruttu/Lupul. I'm sorry but none of these players (especially since they were wearing different colors) looked at all alike.

Old
02-08-2004, 02:13 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by name
As the tomatos are thrown, I'll stand up and say that I agree with you. Heck, I'll even go a step further and say that I like Barry Melrose ( Quite a bit!! How do you all like that? HUH? ).
Of all the ESPN morons, Melrose is the one that I can actually stomach. He is decent.

I bought the NHL Center Ice package for the first time this year, and I will tell you this. It is worth EVERY penny just for the simple fact that I NEVER have to hear Thorne and Clement anymore. I will be buying it every year regardless...but that makes it all the more worthwhile. I recommend it just for that reason alone. It is so nice.

Old
02-08-2004, 02:17 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by volzok
They may not be the best or most knowledgeable team, but I enjoy watching them. I like Thorne b/c no matter how drunk he is, he has fun and calls the game. He usually isnt biased to either team. To me that is important. My favorite play-by-play guy is probably Jim Hughson. I love how he calls the game.
Jim Hughson is very good. And I agree that Thorne is always excited. Thats one of the reasons I hate him so much. He doesnt know when to get excited. He gets excited over everything. Penalties, icings and offsides are all called with the same excitement as an OT goal with him. And the ESPN guys are always "teaching" the game. Now I know the purpose sometimes is to get new people to enjoy the game more, but for myself and probably most of all of you, it gets annoying when they are always explaining things like they are talking to 3 year olds. They do that ALL GAME LONG.

Thats just a couple reasons why I hate the ESPN guys. But there are many more.

Old
02-08-2004, 02:19 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyons71

Thorne kept confusing stall/malone, and Ruttu/Lupul. I'm sorry but none of these players (especially since they were wearing different colors) looked at all alike.
Thats another reason. This guy has been doing hockey games for over 13 years now. You would THINK that he could pronounce the names. For years he called Oleg Tverdovsky, Oleg TverdoRSKY. TverdoRsky? What the hell?

And up until last year he called Nick Lidstrom, Nicky Lindstrom. Nobody calls him Nicky, and he finally stopped doing that...thank god. And do any of you see an "N" in Lidstrom's last name? I dont either. But Thorne does. He is simply an idiot.

Old
02-08-2004, 02:20 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
thorne was red-faced, he was so trashed. by the end of the skills competition, he could barely get his words out. i liked melroses' "unbananas."
Thorne is a hammerhead. Took him a good 3 seconds to realize Scott Niedermayer had actually won the fastest skater competition. Total repeat of his stellar work in the Eastern Conference Finals game 7 where he's screaming "no goal" after Jeff Friesen had won the game in an incredibly dramatic fashion. Thanks for nothing Gary.

Old
02-08-2004, 02:39 PM
PecaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
Ugh. Cole and Neale are horrible. They *used* to be good, back around 1980, but Cole has simply gone senile and should have been retired years ago.

And while Thorne and Clement may make mistakes *so do the CBC guys*. I watch ESPN *every* chance I get when it's on both channels. As I'm doing right now with the all star game, the technical presentation is so superior to CBC it's not even funny.

Old
02-08-2004, 03:31 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyons71

I acctually thought it was pronounced CHAIR-dev.

Old
02-08-2004, 07:24 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
Ugh. Cole and Neale are horrible. They *used* to be good, back around 1980, but Cole has simply gone senile and should have been retired years ago.

And while Thorne and Clement may make mistakes *so do the CBC guys*. I watch ESPN *every* chance I get when it's on both channels. As I'm doing right now with the all star game, the technical presentation is so superior to CBC it's not even funny.
I agree with you 100% about ESPN being technically better than CBC. That is an understatement. Technical presentation on ESPN is 2nd to none. I am simply talking about all thier play by play guys. They need to spend less time trying to be funny, and more time doing their jobs.

And also...Harry Neale wasnt with Bob Cole in the early 80's. He was a coach for most of the 80's before joining Cole. And I think you should watch them more often, because Cole still does an excellent job. Senile is what Harry Caray was late in his career. Cole is still top notch. But I will admit, if you are relatively "new" to hockey, than Cole/Neale are probably not your guys. They dont "teach" they dont talk to their audience like they are talking to toddlers. For people like myself, and probably many others who have followed hockey for close to 25 years, my money is on local duos and especially Cole/Neale.

But thats just my opinion. I think ESPN hockey broadcasters are terrible.

Old
02-08-2004, 08:46 PM
Flamin' Griz

This thread is too funny.

Cole and Neale are great if you're a Leafs fan. Their homerism is disgusting.

John Davidson pronounces Kovalev's name the way Alex told him to.

Since when did any of you ask Nikolai Zherdev how his name is pronounced?

Gary Thorne is terrible IMO, btw.

Old
02-08-2004, 09:50 PM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
Thorne and Clement are like fingernails down a chalkboard...and their compadres don't help.

Old
02-08-2004, 10:47 PM
NJD Jester

Send a message via Yahoo to NJD Jester
All this ESPN bashing reminded me of this:

Column dissing ESPN NHL Announcers

Skip down a few paragraphs, and read the "bios" of Engblom, Levy and especially Clement...

Closed Thread