HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don Cherry Talk

Old
04-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Guillemin

vCash: 500
Ease up on Cherry

Yes, the guy is a Bruins fan. Yes, he gets pissed when the refs ruin a game his favourite team is playing in. As do all of us.

You show me a totally impartial hockey analyst and I'll show you someone who knows nothing about hockey because they have no emotional investment.

Allow me to give an example. In the 1998 Olympics, we got great coverage here in Canada. And because the announcers were Canadian, they tended to call the game as such. They wanted our country to win, and found it tough to hide it in their calling the game. Could anyone forget the end of the 98 Olympics for Canada? "He's gotta score! That's all! No, he can't do it..."

Did you all jump on him for being Canadian and wanting to see his fellow countrymen succeed? No, you were all as dissppointed as he was.

Is Cherry a great analyst? Maybe no. But he makes no secret of his allegiances, and still does a decent job of calling to attention the successes and failures of both teams, not to mention doing a lot for hockey in Canada. If you don't want to listen, change the channel, but please give it a rest with "OMG BIASED!!!!!1!!!1"

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 10:28 PM
Nobak

Their broadcast wasn't aired in Czech Republic though.

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 10:29 PM
HomaridII

I personally don't care either way for Cherry, not a fan, not a hater. However, I am VERY disappointed in the CBC, no kidding they lose viewers to RDS.

Last night's game they did a piece on tonight's game, ALL about the Bruins. Tonight's pre-game they talk mostly about the Bruins. 1st intermission, Cherry talks mostly about the Bruins, etc.. Second intermission they have P.J Stock, another Bruins homer. Honestly, I bet the coverage is more impartial by the Bruins announcers. What channel am I watching? Give me a break.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 10:29 PM
HabsGuy19

Send a message via MSN to HabsGuy19 Send a message via Skype™ to HabsGuy19
I couldn't reach the remote. Believe you, me, I tried.

HabsGuy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
I personally don't care either way for Cherry, not a fan, not a hater. However, I am VERY disappointed in the CBC, no kidding they lose viewers to RDS.

Last night's game they did a piece on tonight's game, ALL about the Bruins. Tonight's pre-game they talk mostly about the Bruins. 1st intermission, Cherry talks mostly about the Bruins, etc.. Second intermission they have P.J Stock, another Bruins homer. Honestly, I bet the coverage is more impartial by the Bruins announcers. What channel am I watching? Give me a break.
if you want coverage on the habs what's better than RDS?

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobak View Post
Their broadcast wasn't aired in Czech Republic though.
I'm sure there were Czech Canadian families all over Canada who got CBC coverage

Old
znk

It is not allowed for a color guy to not be a fan of the Habs. It makes people cry.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 10:32 PM
Habs514

Cherry is just a senile bitter old man. He is just bitter his Leafs are out and Bruins are down 2-0.

Habs514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HabsPack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillemin View Post
Yes, the guy is a Bruins fan. Yes, he gets pissed when the refs ruin a game his favourite team is playing in. As do all of us.

You show me a totally impartial hockey analyst and I'll show you someone who knows nothing about hockey because they have no emotional investment.

Allow me to give an example. In the 1998 Olympics, we got great coverage here in Canada. And because the announcers were Canadian, they tended to call the game as such. They wanted our country to win, and found it tough to hide it in their calling the game. Could anyone forget the end of the 98 Olympics for Canada? "He's gotta score! That's all! No, he can't do it..."

Did you all jump on him for being Canadian and wanting to see his fellow countrymen succeed? No, you were all as dissppointed as he was.

Is Cherry a great analyst? Maybe no. But he makes no secret of his allegiances, and still does a decent job of calling to attention the successes and failures of both teams, not to mention doing a lot for hockey in Canada. If you don't want to listen, change the channel, but please give it a rest with "OMG BIASED!!!!!1!!!1"
Disagree buddy, I'm paying part of that bast**ds salary and to the CBC's coffers, Boston is from another friggin' Country ... that cr*p doesn't jive with me. Plus, how long would Cherry last if his act was directed against the Laffs. He'd be done real quick, but because CBC doesn't give a rats ass about the Habs he's let loose.

HabsPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bermy

I understand he's allowed to have favourite team, but he doesn't have to be an ******* about it

Bermy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Raider917

i just dont bother watching him. he hates the Canadiens.....that seems like the bottom line to me. if i were him, i wouldnt like the Canadiens either. theyve forever linked him to being a failure of enormous proportion and he still holds a grudge

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Guillemin

Quote:

Did you see the intro and outro?

And the chants of Ole Ole ringing throughout?

Old
04-12-2008, 10:35 PM
ShuttFan

The CBC just has to keep him away from the camera after a game that Kovy plays in. He screws up so much then.

ShuttFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 10:35 PM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsPack View Post
Disagree buddy, I'm paying part of that bast**ds salary and to the CBC's coffers, Boston is from another friggin' Country ... that cr*p doesn't jive with me. Plus, how long would Cherry last if his act was directed against the Laffs. He'd be done real quick, but because CBC doesn't give a rats ass about the Habs he's let loose.
He's not directing anything against the Habs. He doesn't like them, obviously, but he's better than other out there.

He dedicated part of his segment against an unbelievably stupid penalty by Kovalev. But, so did half our board. In his shot blocking montage, it was mostly Habs players.

Old
04-12-2008, 10:37 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Hockey night in Canada, not Boston.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 10:39 PM
Caseofcups*

Quote:

Bang on

Caseofcups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 10:41 PM
SherbrookeW

Cherry is an embarassment to Canada and to the CBC. He's borderline racist -- remember his words about Swedish players, going way back?-- he's dumb, and he never has anything analytic to say. Bring back the spirit of Howie Meeker. And bring back the good ghost of Danny Gallivan.

SherbrookeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 10:44 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Who cares?

Cole praises Price all the time. Imagine how annoying that is to other fans.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 10:45 PM
ShuttFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherbrookeW View Post
Cherry is an embarassment to Canada and to the CBC. He's borderline racist -- remember his words about Swedish players, going way back?-- he's dumb, and he never has anything analytic to say. Bring back the spirit of Howie Meeker. And bring back the good ghost of Danny Gallivan.
Peter Puck was the most indiscriminate colour commentary EVAH.

ShuttFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 10:48 PM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Who cares?

Cole praises Price all the time. Imagine how annoying that is to other fans.
Gawd, not to mention Pierre Maguire.

Can you imagine what Oil fans think when he goes on a Dion tangent? Or Leafs fans when he displays his Komi manlove for all to see?

Eugh. Kinda grossed myself out there.

Old
04-12-2008, 10:53 PM
MTL-rules

Who cares?

**** that!

Don Cherry's salary is paid with our taxes, that has responsabilities which he never cares to follow...

RDS, TSN, and al. I don't care, they're private corporations...

Cherry shouldn't be on CBC, he never deserved it... but hey, he gets good ratings, so we'll let him **** on everything that's not pure anglophon canadian breed...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 10:54 PM
ymenard

I care because it's my taxes funding the CBC. RDS is a private network, they can say whatever they want.

ymenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 10:54 PM
Habs8517

cherry is a loser, a racist, a laffs and goon fanboy, a big senile old man that needs to get out of there asap
cant believe my tax pay is salary
the sooner cbc get rid of him the more viewers they will get

Habs8517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 10:56 PM
habs73

Ease up on cherry. wow, i can't beleive the blatent b***s**t that was going on with the cbc broadcast tonight. It all started last night in the ott-pitt game in the first intermission last night when cherry came out in his black and gold. Then at the end of the segment he yelled go B's go. I was a little pissed of with that, especially since it was even a habs-bruins game.
Fast forward to today, he starts off his segment showing Kovalev from 13 years ago, in a questionable dive against Quebec, try to tell me that it was a coincidence he used that clip today. The guy is just an arrogant a**hole who still hasn't gotten over the fact that the habs always burned him, year after year.
The cbc coverage is abysmal when it comes to the habs, the cheerleading for the opposing team makes me, a completely english speaking viewer, unable to watch the english broadcast. Thank god I purchased RDS, so i am not constantly screaming at the TV.

habs73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 10:57 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
I avoid watching Cherry..I watch all hab games on RDS.

If I have to watch it on CBC I leave the room or change the channel when Cherry comes on.
He knows his hockey but he's such a homer when it comes to the Leafs and Bruins and HATES the habs!

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote